Nestled on the stunning Potomac River in northern Virginia, Alexandria serves as the ultimate getaway for history buffs with its colonial museums, 18th- and 19th- century buildings, and the well-preserved Old Town.
The action-packed King Street is a hotspot for epicures and shopping enthusiasts, featuring an impressive array of bookstores, antique shops, home stores, sustainable clothing boutiques, art galleries, salons, restaurants, and cafes. Alexandria Farmers’ Market comprises over 70 vendors and is one of the country’s oldest farmers’ markets.
The lodging options in Alexandria are equally impressive. From lavish downtown boutique hotels to rustic-chic inns, here are the top cool and unusual hotels in Alexandria, Virginia (in no particular order)...
1. The Alexandrian Old Town Alexandria, Autograph Collection – an elegant and trendy boutique hotel housed in a stylish redbrick building
Modern luxury coalesces with historic charm and local spirit to offer an unparalleled lodging experience at The Alexandrian. Set in a gorgeous redbrick building on King Street, the 4-star hotel is a 2-minute drive from George Washington Masonic National Memorial.
Guests have eight unique accommodation options to choose from. While some rooms offer inner courtyard views, some feature private balconies with sweeping city views. Flat-screen TVs, coffee makers, alarm clocks, and safety deposit boxes are available in all units.
The Alexandrian’s King & Rye Restaurant serves Southern classics prepared with locally sourced ingredients. There’s also a fitness center if you want to exercise or engage in some other physical activity.
Address: 480 King Street, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Alexandrian Old Town Alexandria, Autograph Collection
2. Lorien Hotel & Spa – a large contemporary hotel spa that provides amazing views from a rooftop bar and a gorgeous spa
Situated amid the restaurants and shops of Old Town Alexandria, Lorien Hotel & Spa offers a unique insight into the city’s sophisticated glamor.
Contemporary rooms at the 4-star hotel are outfitted with flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, and executive desks with ergonomic chairs.
Some also offer spa-style bathrooms with claw-foot tubs or rain showers. Suites, on the other hand, have living rooms and furnished terraces with picturesque views.
Fulfill your wellness needs at the hotel’s chic spa or enjoy a delectable meal at the onsite restaurant. Complimentary perks include morning coffee, evening wine receptions, and in-room Wi-Fi access.
Address: 1600 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Lorien Hotel & Spa
3. Morrison House Old Town Alexandria, Autograph Collection – a unique upmarket Federal-style hotel close to local attractions in the Old Town
Perched on Alfred Street in Old Town, Morrison House Old Town Alexandria epitomizes Southern hospitality. It is less than a mile from the Torpedo Factory Art Center, with downtown Washington Dc accessible within a short drive.
Hardwood floors, gas fireplaces, and ivory accents exude a sense of understated elegance in an impressive display of Colonial-style guestrooms. Some rooms feature Italian marble counters in the bathroom.
There’s also a classy restaurant serving locally sourced dishes and craft cocktails. Other amenities include an event space, meeting rooms, and loaner bikes.
Address: 116 S Alfred St, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Morrison House Old Town Alexandria, Autograph Collection
4. Hotel Indigo Old Town Alexandria, an IHG Hotel – a funky, trendy and creative hotel which makes a great choice for Millenials and Gen Zs
Discover a seamless blend of modern minimalism and rustic charm at this 3-star hotel near the Potomac River. The premium amenities offered at Hotel Indigo Old Town Alexandria include an elegant eatery with river views, a business center, and a gym.
Brightly decorated rooms come with flat-screen TVs, tea and coffee-making equipment, and designer toiletries. Upgraded units feature floor-to-ceiling windows with panoramic city views.
Located about two miles from the George Washington Masonic National Memorial, the laid-back is a minute’s walk from Old Town’s port.
Address: 220 S Union St, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Old Town Alexandria
5. Hilton Alexandria Old Town – a polished and chic upscale hotel set in Alexandria’s popular historic district
If you want a luxurious stay in Alexandria’s historic district, Hilton Alexandria Old Town may be the perfect pick.
Polished rooms feature traditional decor with carpeted floors and custom-designed beds. Amenities available inside the room include work desks, 37-inch flat-screen TVs, complimentary Wi-Fi, and mini-fridges.
There’s an onsite restaurant dishing out delicious seafood and steaks in a stylish setting. A lobby bar, a coffee shop, a business center, and a fitness center are also accessible to guests.
Address: 1767 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hilton Alexandria Old Town
6. Sonder The Grace – a cool, cozy and charming aparthotel that is the perfect home away from home
Set in a white-brick building on King Street, Sonder The Grace offers an inspired balance of residential-style comfort and urban luxury.
With four unique types of accommodation options available, the elegant hotel caters to all stripes of vacationers, from solo travelers to families and friends.
Plush sofas, soft headboard beds, flat-screen TVs, and kitchenettes are available in all units. Upgraded apartments come with private balconies offering scenic views.
Address: 805 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Sonder The Grace
7. The Westin Alexandria Old Town – a sophisticated upscale hotel where pets are also welcome
Catering to the needs of well-heeled vacationers, The Westin Alexandria Old Town is one of the most luxurious hotels in Alexandria.
Streamlined rooms come with executive desks, flat-screens, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Guests quartered in club rooms are provided access to a communal lounge with complimentary breakfast and evening appetizers.
A fine dining experience awaits you at the onsite American restaurant. There’s also a Starbucks coffee shop, a classy bar, a fitness center, and an event space spanning 20,000 square feet.
Address: 400 Courthouse Square, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Alexandria Old Town
8. Hyatt Centric Old Town Alexandria – a cool and trendy place to stay in Alexandria located near the King St-Old Town metro station
Another amazing hotel on the bustling King Street, Hyatt Centric offers accommodation in relaxed rooms with modern furnishings and a minimalist vibe. From premium linens to coffee makers to flat-screen TVs, guests enjoy many upscale amenities while staying here.
The 4-star hotel is surrounded by tons of fantastic restaurants and bars which is why there are no onsite eateries. However, if you’d like to enjoy some drinks, the hotel’s lobby lounge features a small bar.
The best part about staying at this hotel is that you’ll be minutes from the George Washington Masonic National Memorial and other major attractions.
Address: 1625 King St, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hyatt Centric Old Town Alexandria
9. Sonder Del Ray – cool, funky and quirky-chic aparthotels to stay in Alexandria perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs looking for a longer stay
Located about two miles from Alexandria’s Christ Church, Sonder Del Ray apartments offer homey comfort with 5-star amenities.
Guests can choose from four different accommodation options, including standard studios, superior studios, deluxe studios, and one-bedroom suites. Each unit comes with a large or extra-large double bed and can sleep only two people.
In-room amenities include private bathrooms with designer toiletries, flat-screen TVs, microwaves, and mini-fridges.
Address: 2415 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, 22301, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Sonder Del Ray
10. Hotel AKA Alexandria – a brand new hotel opening March 2023
Hotel AKA Alexandria is where you’ll be able to witness a unique side to Old Town. It will be nestled amidst art galleries, eclectic boutiques, and waterfront restaurants, the 4-star hotel is an ideal option in March 2023 if you want to stay close to all the action.
Sleek design, chic furnishings, and high-end amenities will come together to create exquisite, functional spaces for guests. The cutting-edge fitness center is where you can start your day with an invigorating workout.
Enjoy some of Alexandria’s best cocktails at the world-class bar, satisfy your appetite with fresh sandwiches at the sophisticated cafe, or have a private film experience in the intimate cinema theater.
Address: 625 First Street, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Washington DC
- Cool boutique hotels in Baltimore
- Cool boutique hotels in Ocean City
- Cool boutique hotels in Rehoboth Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Cape May
- Cool boutique hotels in Richmond VA
- Cool boutique hotels in Charlottesville
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.