A popular tourist destination boasting rich culture, artisanal crafts, indulgent cuisine and an abundance of emerald-blue beaches with golden sand, the Algarve is the gateway to the scenic splendours of Southern Portugal and the Atlantic Coast.
Travellers can divide their time between the beaches, historical landmarks, cultural sites, mountain villages and fishing towns scattered throughout the Algarve region. Finding a centrally located hotel is wise to plan fun day trips and sightseeing tours without the exhaustion of long commutes.
Our roundup of the top 20 cool hotels in Algarve, Portugal, will introduce you to the region’s finest accommodations from gorgeous boutique hotels and trendy upscale resorts to quirky B&Bs (in no particular order)…
1. W Algarve – a hip, Instagrammable and upscale boutique hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
W Algarve is a fashionable venue with luxurious guest rooms, independent residences, multiple onsite dining options and business-friendly amenities.
The hotel offers 134 guest rooms with private balconies, 83 residences, a fitness studio, the Away Spa, a rooftop terrace, a zero-edge lap pool and a Wet Deck to enjoy live music.
There’s never a dull moment at W Algarve. Guests typically begin their day with the hotel’s Sunrise Yoga sessions, Bootcamps at Fit, or pampering sessions at the onsite spa. Travellers wanting to feast on southern Portuguese delicacies will love the casual vibe and rich meals served at the onsite Market Kitchen.
- To book, check prices or availability for W Algarve
2. Praia do Canal Nature Resort – a Portuguese-inspired, Insta-worthy and rejuvenating resort featuring spa facilities, a fitness centre and three pools
The Praia do Canal Nature Resort offers an unspoilt setting to immerse in Algarve’s western coast. Surrounded by over 500 acres of the Vicentine Coast Natural Park, this countryside estate is 15 minutes from the beach and the picturesque town of Aljezur.
The resort offers an outdoor swimming pool, an Esteva spa with an indoor pool, a cold plunge tank, sensorial showers, two saunas and a fitness studio with Technogym equipment.
Guests can find their match from a lineup of 56 rooms and suites, including two family-friendly suites with private pools and a Grand Suite Rooftop with a private jacuzzi.
Guests can rent bikes, embark on hiking trails, sign up for cooking lessons, take guided tours to local wineries and enjoy picnics in the park.
- To book, check prices or availability for Praia do Canal Nature Resort
3. 3HB Faro – a trendy, chic and 5-star hotel in a location perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
3HB Faro offers 11 guest rooms, 2 onsite restaurants, a heated indoor pool, an infinity pool, a spa, a fitness studio, meeting rooms, and a fabulous location set against the scenic expanse of Ria Formosa. Nestled in the heart of Faro, 3HB promises an unforgettable vacation with state-of-the-art amenities, luxury suites with a private jacuzzi, and a tranquil ambience.
Vacationers can pamper themselves with massages and heat therapy at the Turkish bath, splash around in the infinity pool or dine on traditional Mediterranean fares at the onsite Habito Restaurant.
The onsite Black Oven serves a sumptuous breakfast buffet each morning, while the rooftop bar provides freshly-squeezed juices and cocktails.
- To book, check prices or availability for 3HB Faro
4. Algarve Race Resort – Hotel – a new, 5-star and unique hotel steps away from the regions race track
The Algarve Race Resort offers a scenic setting nestled at the foothills of the Serra de Monchique Range, and a convenient location to access Rocha Beach, the A22 Motorway and the Autódromo Internacional do Algarve racetrack.
This grand hotel features an extensive selection of rooms and suites with private terraces, seating areas, in-room appliances, and minimalist furniture. Guests can browse through multiple categories, including Twin Rooms overlooking the racetrack, luxury suites with mountain views and 1 to 3-bedroom apartments featuring kitchenettes and dining areas.
The onsite amenities include a world-class spa area with an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, a sun terrace, a fitness studio, a bar and the Restaurant Nelson Piquet.
- To book, check prices or availability for Algarve Race Resort – Hotel
5. Hotel California Urban Beach – Adults Only – a contemporary, newly renovated and fun hotel surrounded by an array of shops, bars and restaurants
Located in the heart of Albufeira’s historical quarters, Hotel California Urban Beach positions travellers 300 meters from Pescadores Beach, surrounded by boutiques, bars and restaurants.
This 4-star hotel features 80 guest rooms divided across 9 floors, an onsite spa, a heated indoor pool, an outdoor pool, and multiple dining and lounging venues. Travellers can explore a wide selection of rooms and suites with distinct amenities, including the S Room, Suite D’One, and Quarto Duplo DJ.
Guests can treat themselves to rejuvenating massages and beauty treatments at the organic spa, lounge at the Rooftop Pool Bar and indulge in seafood at the onsite Wine & Sushi Restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel California Urban Beach – Adults Only
6. Aqua Pedra Dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel – Adults Only – a contemporary, stylish and design hotel moments away from the party nightlife along the famous strip
Travellers wanting to wake up to stunning views of the sea will find the Aqua Pedra Dos Bicos a delightful retreat, ideally situated 400 meters from Bicos beach and 500 meters from Albufeira’s rip-roaring nightlife. This central venue is a fabulous choice to make the most of touristy attractions and immerse in the serenity of the Atlantic Ocean.
This beach hotel offers 140 rooms and 2 Suites, including Classic Rooms, Superior Rooms and Premium Rooms with sea or pool views. The premises also features the D’Wellness Health & Beauty Spa, an onsite restaurant, an outdoor swimming pool, a bar, and a massage room.
The onsite Serenata Restaurant serves a creative fusion of Mediterranean ingredients and continental recipes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aqua Pedra Dos Bicos Design Beach Hotel – Adults Only
7. Jupiter Marina Hotel – Couples & Spa – a modern, stylish and chic hotel perfect for a romantic getaway
A new addition to Algarve’s vibrant hospitality sector, the Jupiter Marina Hotel offers a central location, a short stroll from the city centre and the Portimao museum, and within walking distance of Praia da Rocha Beach. This hotel positions travellers in an ideal spot to explore popular attractions and local beaches on foot.
The Jupiter Marina offers Classic Rooms with private balconies, Superior and Deluxe River View Rooms overlooking the Arade River, and Junior Suites featuring a private veranda with sunbeds.
The hotel is also home to the Rio Spa & Gym, a rooftop swimming pool, and Facho Restaurant, a popular dining establishment to enjoy local flavours.
- To book, check prices or availability for Jupiter Marina Hotel – Couples & Spa
8. EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel – a fancy, 5-star and vibrant hotel where guests can experience the luxury of direct access to the beach
Nestled near one of Portugal’s most magnificent beaches, the Praia de Falesia, the EPIC SANA is a luxury resort with a state-of-the-art spa, multiple restaurants and bars, and contemporary accommodations.
Epic SANA features 160 Deluxe Rooms, 43 Resort Suites, and 36 Deluxe Suites with private balconies or terraces overlooking the emerald-blue ocean and pine forest. Guests enjoy direct access to the beach, infinity pools, guided excursions and therapeutic massages.
The onsite restaurant Fifty Seconds by Martin Berasategui is a Michelin-starred establishment specializing in Mediterranean and European cuisine from a terrific location at the top of the Vasco da Gama Tower.
- To book, check prices or availability for EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel
9. Sao Rafael Atlantico – a lavish, trendy and spacious hotel where guests can enjoy an oceanfront location
An all-inclusive destination for an unforgettable vacation in Southern Portugal, Sao Rafael Atlantico is an ocean-facing hotel with luxurious amenities and wellness-focused facilities.
The hotel offers a 2000-square-meter spa near the beach to enjoy seaside massages, sea-view restaurants serving Mediterranean cuisine, multiple infinity pools, beautiful gardens, and well-appointed rooms. The rooms and suites are bright and airy, featuring innumerable amenities including LCD TVs with satellite service, air conditioning, minibars, and kettles.
Sao Rafael Atlantico is a short walk from Albufeira’s centre, offering proximity to tourist attractions and exclusive access to the Sao Rafael beach. The onsite Seven Seas Restaurant serves buffet-style meals while Fada Restaurant has an a la carte menu.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sao Rafael Atlantico
10. Longevity Health & Wellness Hotel – Adults Only – a serene, unique and lifestyle hotel offering guests a world class relaxing and rejuvenating stay
A wellness retreat nestled in the heart of the western Algarve, the Longevity Health and Wellness Hotel welcomes weary travellers to rejuvenate and restore with a world-class spa and majestic views of the Bay of Alvor.
The world-class spa is indeed the hotel’s crown jewel, boasting a medical spa and wellness area divided across two floors. Guests can take advantage of 100% organic detox programs, hammams, a sensation pool, treatment rooms, and a rooftop infinity pool.
The hotel offers 70 rooms and suites, categorized as Longevity Rooms, Junior Suites, Longevity Suites and 1 exclusive unit, The One Suite. The venue is home to the Mediterranico Restaurant, the Pure Café and the Chill Out & Relax Tea Lounge.
- To book, check prices or availability for Longevity Health & Wellness Hotel – Adults Only
11. Conrad Algarve – a tech-savvy, upscale and elegant resort where guests can dine at a Michelin-starred restaurant
Golf enthusiasts flock to Conrad Algarve to enjoy easy access to the region’s best golf courses in multiple destinations, including Quinta do Lago and Vale do Lobo. This oasis of luxury features 5 onsite restaurants and a bar, multiple swimming pools, a spa, and lavishly decorated accommodations, including the Conrad Suites and the Infinity Penthouse.
Conrad is home to the highly celebrated, Michelin-starred restaurant, Gusto by Heinz Beck, the brainchild of the talented Chef Heiz Beck. Guests can connect with fellow travellers and locals at the Lake Lounge and indulge in local spirits at the Taste Bar.
The upgraded accommodations come with concierge services, daily turndown service, exclusive access to the spa and private jacuzzi, and butler services.
- To book, check prices or availability for Conrad Algarve
12. Palmares Beach House Hotel – Adults Only – a bright, intimate and quiet hotel ideal for those who love outdoor activities
The Palmares Beach House Hotel attracts cyclists, hiking enthusiasts and beach lovers with its sports-friendly amenities and convenient location 700 meters from Meia Praia Beach. This upscale venue offers 18 guest rooms, 2 luxury suites, an onsite restaurant, a bar lounge, and an outdoor pool.
The accommodations feature sprawling balconies designed to delight guests with 180º panoramic views of Ria de Alvor and Lagos Bay. The rooms and suites are spacious and decorated in soothing pastels to draw in the sunlight.
Guests can dine on authentic Mediterranean flavours at the onsite restaurant, followed by flavorful cocktails at the bar lounge overlooking the sea.
- To book, check prices or availability for Palmares Beach House Hotel – Adults Only
13. The Prime Energize – a themed, elegant and award-winning hotel designed for fitness and sports enthusiasts
Situated 400 meters from Monte Gordo beach, The Prime Energize is a sports-themed hotel that encourages travellers to stay active and elevate their itineraries with fun-filled outdoor adventures.
The hotel offers 105 rooms and suites with minimalist interiors, including Standard Rooms, Junior Suites, and Deluxe Suites. Prime Energize endorses a ‘Sleep Well’ concept with comfortable living spaces decorated with soft, neutral tones and a calming atmosphere ideal for quality sleep.
Guests have access to a well-equipped fitness studio, and a Weekly Activity Calendar featuring activities like Pilates, running, hiking, yoga, etc. The onsite restaurant Fuel by Chakall serves fresh juices and smoothies, sugar-free desserts, and nutritious meals prepared with local herbs and produce.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Prime Energize
14. Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda – a unique, idyllic and petite hotel within walking distance of the beach
A charming hotel overlooking the Porto de Mos beach, Vivenda Miranda invites nature lovers to immerse in the splendours of Lagos’ coastline and western Algarve from the comforts of luxurious accommodations.
This boutique hotel offers a limited selection of rooms and suites, an artisanal restaurant, and a world-class spa. Vivenda Miranda offers a peaceful setting with resort-like amenities, such as an outdoor pool with a jacuzzi, Mediterranean gardens, and yoga sessions facing the sea.
Guests enjoy dining at the onsite Restaurant Mirandus which serves healthy Mediterranean meals with panoramic views of the ocean. The jungle-themed Monkey Bar is a great spot to indulge in rare wines, crafty cocktails and Algarvian spirits.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boutique Hotel Vivenda Miranda
15. Vila Maria Hotel – a sleek, tech-savvy and cool accommodation located in the heart of Albufeira
An urbane hotel located steps away from the city centre, the Vila Maria offers tech-savvy amenities, a rooftop pool facing the ocean, and spacious suites with private balconies. The hotel features 27 suites with extensive space, fine furniture and outdoor spaces to soak up delightful views of the city or seascape.
Travellers can browse through a selection of Double and Twin Rooms, featuring packages that include breakfast and other onsite facilities. The units are well-equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV, minibars, coffee and tea-making equipment and digital safes.
The onsite restaurant serves a hearty breakfast spread each morning, while guests can enjoy snacks and drinks at the bar.
- To book, check prices or availability for Vila Maria Hotel
16. Gato Preto de Silves – Adults Only – a classic, quiet boutique B&B with rustic-chic decor providing guests with Insta-worthy views overlooking Silves orange groves
Gato Preto de Silves is an earthy rural retreat with luxury cabins featuring stunning views of the Silves orange groves, an eclectic outdoor environment and abundant modern amenities. Travelers eager to connect with Mother Nature and explore the local beaches will find this venue highly suitable for their needs.
The site offers three independently-owned cabins and two suites, including the Old Portugal Garden Cabin, Master Suite – The Call of the Country and the Amaryllis Garden STUDIO. All units are equipped with smart appliances, furniture, a functional kitchenette, and outdoor furniture to enjoy breakfast on the private terrace.
The retreat offers a complimentary breakfast, a swimming pool, and housekeeper services, and guests can request candlelight dinners under the romantic Bougainvillea pergola.
- To book, check prices or availability for Gato Preto de Silves – Adults Only
17. Vilafoia – a modern, eco-friendly and cozy accommodation nestled amongst nature next to streams and waterfalls
Vilafoia boasts a romantic location in the Monchique Mountains, surrounded by a dense cork forest and panoramic views of the Algarve coastline. This cosy guest house features 11 accommodations, including 6 Double Rooms, 2 Family Rooms, 1 Suite and 2 Studio Apartments with kitchenettes.
All units offer private balconies to soak up the sun and immerse in the Atlantic Coastline, alongside smart appliances and fine furniture. Guests can start their day with a dip in the saltwater pool, followed by breakfast at the onsite buffet.
The location is splendid to explore mountain trails leading up to waterfalls and peaks, strolling down to the Monchique Village or planning a day trip to Lagos and Portimao.
- To book, check prices or availability for Vilafoia
18. Eleven, Boutique luxury house & garden – one of the finest boutique accommodations providing guests with a stunning, lavish and charming stay
A lovingly restored village home with a courtyard garden, Eleven offers a retreat-like setting and modern amenities befitting a high-end boutique hotel. Situated in the heart of Boliqueime, this charming venue welcomes travellers to experience traditional Portuguese culture in an Algarvean village untouched by the ravages of time.
Drenched in old-world nostalgia, this hillside hotel is a popular choice for wellness retreats, guided hiking and cycling tours, and healing experiences. Eleven provides comfortable accommodations featuring 400-count Egyptian cotton linens, hypo-allergenic pillows, and innumerable smart appliances.
The onsite restaurant provides savoury plant-based meals, and travellers can sign up for guided nature walks, meditation sessions, yoga lessons, and wellness workshops.
- To book, check prices or availability for Eleven, Boutique luxury house & garden
19. Herdade Monte Do Sol – a private, peaceful and classic accommodation offering guests a freshly made buffet breakfast each morning
An enchanting rural setting sprawling over 30 hectares of wooded reserves, gardens and magnificent beaches, Herdade Monte Do Sol is situated deep in the heart of the Natural Park of Vicentina Coast. This property is home to 5 villas set against a serene backdrop of the sea, offering easy access to Arrifana beach and Canal beach.
The villas offer spacious bedrooms, living rooms with a fireplace, a functional kitchenette, a dining area and an expansive mezzanine floor with elegant furniture. The location is splendid to immerse oneself in nature, explore hiking trails, enjoy walks in the countryside, and engage with wild rabbits, falcons and ducks.
- To book, check prices or availability for Herdade Monte Do Sol
20. Casa L. N. Noa – a beautiful, spacious and bright B&B in close proximity of several beaches and tourists attractions
Casa L. N. Noa is an ideally located hotel to enjoy the best of Lagos, offering proximity to Porto de Mos Beach, Praia da Batata Beach, the Church of Santa Maria, and the Governor’s Medieval Castle. The city centre is a short stroll away, positioning travellers near popular restaurants, bars and nightlife venues.
This homely bed and breakfast offers comfortable accommodations equipped with home-like amenities, including a refrigerator, flatscreen TVs, air conditioning, and high-speed WiFi. Some onsite amenities include a sun terrace, a garden and an outdoor swimming pool.
Guests can opt for rooms overlooking the mountains or select accommodations with private patios/terraces.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa L. N. Noa
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Lisbon
- Cool boutique hotels in Faro
- Cool boutique hotels in Porto
- Cool boutique hotels in Barcelona
- Cool boutique hotels in Madrid
- Cool boutique hotels in San Sebastian
- Cool boutique hotels in Majorca
- Cool boutique hotels in Ibiza
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cascais
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.