Nestled on the shores of the Mediterranean Sea, Alicante is a thriving metropolis on the east coast of Spain, imbued with a rich cultural heritage. Sitting at the foot of the Castle of Santa Barbara, the city boasts an eclectic mix of historical landmarks, enchanting beaches, and vibrant nightlife.
Whether you’re a history buff, a culture lover, or a beachgoer, Alicante is a tourist destination which promises a truly unforgettable experience, where old and new coexist in perfect harmony.
Paying homage to the city’s legacy is a dazzling hotel scene, which features accommodations from beachfront boutiques to epic spa resorts. Having visited Alicante countless times, here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in this stunning city (in no particular order)…
1. Port Alicante City & Beach – a newly renovated, trendy and contemporary hotel featuring a fitness center, wellness facilities and three outdoor pools
Located in Playa de San Juan, this eclectic hotel reopened in 2022 after a head-to-toe revamp, which resulted in enhanced services, a fresh Mediterranean style, and an expansion of its culinary offerings.
Overlooking the shimmering pool, my guestroom featured a stunning balcony with a table and chairs, which offered one of the most epic sunsets I have ever witnessed. The hotel plays host to two first-rate restaurants.
An authentic buffet representative of Mediterranean gastronomy is offered in the Port Alicante Restaurant, while an avant-garde environment combining true Alicante cuisine with cutting-edge brunch trends is offered in Cafeteria Port Alicante.
- To book, check prices or availability for Port Alicante City & Beach
2. Hotel Serawa Alicante – an eco-friendly, modern and bright boutique hotel within walking distance of Postiguet Beach
Serawa is a boutique hotel, gastronomic space, and eco store in the same place, and has all the necessary facilities to guarantee maximum relaxation and comfort.
Organic and sustainable materials have been used to create an environmentally friendly hospitality experience, with the beautiful Postiguet beach only 300 metres away. My room was intimate yet light-filled, and contained a contemporary digital entertainment system.
A great selection of gourmet dishes incorporating the finest ingredients from around the territory is served in the on-site restaurant, which is in line with the hotel’s eco-friendly ethos. The eco store is a brand-new concept which offers guests organic and local food products, as well as an extensive list of biodynamic wines.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Serawa Alicante
3. AC Hotel Alicante by Marriott – a trendy, Instagrammable and lavish hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Being part of the Marriott brand, there is a certain prestige attached to this eclectic hotel. I thought it was the perfect place to unwind after a busy day of sightseeing, owing to its gorgeous rooftop pool.
A few steps from the hotel lands you in Alicante’s oldest park, as well as within a maze of the city’s most charming restaurants and cafés.
Wooden floors and headboards sit alongside funky chairs in the spacious rooms, where full-length windows make the most of the Alicante sunshine. Waking up to a delicious, traditional breakfast spread each morning in the avant-garde style restaurant was the perfect fuel for an energy-packed day out.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel Alicante by Marriott
4. Hotel Spa Porta Maris by Melia – a contemporary, urban and rejuvenating hotel providing guests with Insta-worthy views overlooking the marina and Mediterranean Sea
This urban hotel has everything you need for a memorable stay in Alicante. Set 200 metres from Postiguet Beach, the beautifully furnished terraces in the rooms invite you to soak up jaw-dropping panoramas from every angle.
The spa is a peaceful space with different areas, where guests go to restore balance between body and soul. Meanwhile the glistening pool area is backdropped by the Mediterranean, and is accompanied by a sundeck with cosy loungers.
My favourite views however came from the Bistró Aguamarina restaurant. My evenings here were accompanied by a fine selection of tapas and gourmet dishes prepared to the highest quality.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Spa Porta Maris by Melia
5. Hotel Alicante Gran Sol, affiliated by Meliá – a bright, stylish and cool hotel in a location perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
I thought this marvellous hotel created the perfect ambiance for a beach holiday. Located bang in the heart of all the action, the city’s charming squares and peaceful promenade can be reached with ease.
The cool and bright flair of the hotel is characterized by extensive use of white and beige, alongside floor-to-ceiling windows which frame astonishing sea views.
Catering to both business and leisure travellers, guests can enjoy a handful of dining areas, meeting rooms, and a sauna. A neutral canvas is created in the rooms so the landscape artwork really stands out, and each one comes with a lavish bathroom with standalone tub.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Alicante Gran Sol, affiliated by Meliá
6. Dormirdcine Alicante – a fun, creative and hip hotel located in the heart of the city
Situated near the beach in the historical centre of Alicante, this cosmopolitan hotel has been decorated by artists and illustrators who have been inspired by the world of cinema.
A designer atmosphere is transmitted through a unique hospitality experience which makes guests feel like a movie star. I thought the exclusive avant-garde interior elements of the guestrooms gave my stay a unique vigour which transcended the barrier between intimacy and glamour.
I certainly took advantage of the rooftop, and it comes with a stunning restaurant where I savoured some delectable Spanish cuisine. The hotel also boasts a state-of-the-art fitness centre and a meeting room.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dormirdcine Alicante
7. Casa Alberola Alicante, Curio Collection By Hilton – a stylish, elegant and historic boutique hotel offering guests on-site bike hire to explore around the area
Moments from the marina, the Esplanade of Spain, and Canalejas Park, this historic hotel is set in a neoclassical building which draws you back in time to the elegance of the 1920’s.
This is however contrasted beautifully by touches of velvet, intricate mouldings, and marble. This coastal retreat boasts opulent white-washed rooms which each come with a tremendous sea-view balcony, and vivid plays of colour which set a graceful tone.
I thoroughly enjoyed my evenings at the ground floor Lobster Bar, which offers an authentic insight into Alicante cuisine, with its extensive menu based on local organic ingredients.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Alberola Alicante, Curio Collection By Hilton
8. Hotel Almirante – a charming, newly renovated and Mediterranean-inspired hotel where guests can admire a stunning backdrop overlooking spectacular landscape
Located in front of the popular Playa de San Juan, Hotel Almirante is the most idyllic haven to revel in gastronomy, panoramic views, and a blissful atmosphere.
I thoroughly enjoyed spending a morning sipping a coffee on the terrace, before heading to the lush garden where a peaceful pool experience awaits. All this is in the backdrop of the ocean, mountains, and verdant landscapes.
A classic Mediterranean essence is combined with a modern, eclectic design here, and the choice of in-room décor exudes the ultimate tranquillity and serenity. The on-site bicycle rental service was a great added touch, which made exploring the nearby beaches extremely easy and stress-free.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Almirante
9. Suites del Mar by Melia – a beautiful and upscale hotel with hip features steps away from the center of the city
Situated in close proximity to Postiguet Beach and the Alicante marina, this stunning abode invites you to relish unending sea views from a relaxing bathtub in your minimalist guestroom.
Steeped in an extraordinary avant-garde design, the hotel balances the art of Spanish hospitality with the essence of luxury, whether you choose to pamper yourself in the 400 m2 spa or relax in the outdoor pool.
The stunning Mediterranean views also set an iridescent backdrop for your morning in the breakfast room, and for your evening in the stunning restaurant. The hotel also boasts a fully equipped, air-conditioned gym.
- To book, check prices or availability for Suites del Mar by Melia
10. Occidental Alicante – a spacious, cool and vibrant accommodation moments away from local popular attractions
Situated a very short walk from the restaurants, shops, and tourist attractions which line this historic city, Occidental Alicante is a hotel which is synonymous with urban relaxation.
The recently renovated rooms present a modern space which caters perfectly to business travellers, couples, and families. An atmosphere of elegance permeates the hotel’s communal spaces, expressed through functional décor, soft wooden furnishings, and state-of-the-art amenities.
I thought the food was a standout feature here, with both the buffet breakfast and the à la carte meals teeming with local flair and artful touches. The essence of artistry does not stop there though, with many of the walls painted and themed according to the city’s nautical roots.
- To book, check prices or availability for Occidental Alicante
11. Odyssey Rooms Alicante – a sleek, quirky-chic and urban accommodation surrounded by an array of shops, restaurants and bars
Elegant and white-washed, this soul-soothing property is dressed in a boutique flair, with quirky seating areas and ambient lighting systems positioned perfectly around the property.
The modern environment is enhanced with an exclusive service and trailblazing facilities to guarantee an accommodation experience rooted in sophistication and splendour. By far my favourite space was the chill-out terrace, where I savoured a wide variety of drinks and snacks while relaxing in the pool-Jacuzzi.
This area was backdropped by the resplendent cityscape and the Santa Bárbara Castle. The 24-hour reception presence also made me feel totally at ease, with expert advice on offer at any point of the day.
- To book, check prices or availability for Odyssey Rooms Alicante
12. Hospes Amérigo – an elegant, design and pet-friendly accommodation moments away from Alicante’s most famous landmarks
This 16th-century Dominican convent-turned-boutique hotel exudes classical elegance. Its rich woods, cool marble, and ornate iron balconies form a blissful marriage of historic grandeur with an avant-garde twist.
Overlooking the blue-tiled church domes and the majestic castle, the hotel’s rooftop bar was the source of endless joy during my trip.
The flawless five-star luxury extends also to the top-floor spa and pool, and to the exquisite restaurants and bars on-site. With abstract silk paintings contrasted with the ambiance of the old restored building, the spacious guestrooms offer an intimate reprieve from the hustle and bustle of city life.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hospes Amérigo
13. Utopía Alicante – Adults Experience – a unique, themed and funky accommodation where guests can enjoy a fun games room, complimentary bikes and a bar
This is without a doubt the most wonderfully eccentric hotel I have ever stayed in on my many visits to Alicante. Each space, dark and ambient, brings an idiosyncratic flair to your urban vacation, through funky décor, multicoloured lights, and quirky tapestries.
I stayed in the Asian Garden suite, which blended a mystical Japanese panache with high-end, tech-forward amenities. Other rooms include the Zebra Dance, the Sea of Mirrors, the Slacker Kitten, the Dungeon, and the eclipse, and are all themed individually.
Another great touch was the on-site game room, which boasted many facilities which will keep groups entertained for hours on end.
- To book, check prices or availability for Utopía Alicante – Adults Experience
14. Arenal Suites Alicante – a quirky, chic and modern accommodation in an ideal location for those who love the sun, sand and sea
Situated close to the esplanade promenade and a few metres from Postiguet beach, this mid-19th century building beckons guests to combine rest, sun, and beach, with a wide range of leisure and dining offerings at your fingertips.
The modern apartments maintain all of their historic charm, with exposed beams and vaulted ceilings. This style is however beautifully contrasted by quirky pops of colour and elegant hues.
The in-room experience exceeded all of my expectations, with high-quality fabrics, bespoke décor, and luxury bathroom amenities at my disposal. The charming balcony also looked out over the city’s eclectic streets, which made for relaxing moments of people-watching.
- To book, check prices or availability for Arenal Suites Alicante
15. Apartamentos de la Huerta – a stunning, cute and cozy accommodation well equipped for a memorable vacation
This charming boutique hotel oozes intimacy and peacefulness in every nook and cranny, and is graced with beautiful artwork, traditional furnishings, and comfy chill-out spots.
Each unit comes with a fully equipped kitchen, as well as a living room with sofa bed and flat-screen TV. My room opened onto an open-air terrace, where mosaic tiles, potted plants, and soothing furniture combined to exude tranquillity. From here, the gleaming backdrop of Alicante’s red-tiled roofs provided the perfect setting for a morning coffee.
A few steps from the hotel lands you within a vibrant series of streets lined with artisan cafés, cheap and cheerful eateries, and quaint boutiques.
- To book, check prices or availability for Apartamentos de la Huerta
We also have posts on…
- Cool and unusual hotels in Bilbao
- Cool and unusual hotels in Barcelona
- Cool and unusual hotels in Madrid
- Cool and unusual hotels in Valencia
- Cool and unusual hotels in Malaga
- Cool and unusual hotels in Granada
- Cool and unusual hotels in Seville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Benidorm
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/