Nestled between the Blue Ridge and the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina, this once small town is now a popular destination. Asheville NC’s stunning setting and world-renowned culinary and art scene has seen the city become a magnet for foodies, culture lovers, outdoor enthusiasts and trendy types too. From intimate boutiques to luxury on a grand scale, here are our most cool and unusual hotels in Asheville NC (in no particular order)…
1. Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection – an exceptional hotel with beautiful decor, including marble bathrooms
Olde world charm fused with modern comforts make this hotel a unique stay, full of character. Exposed Tudor style beams furnish the outside, while the interior feels like a luxury wood cabin.
A gallery displays an eclectic mix of local and international artwork against its dark wood walls. Natural-looking materials are used throughout the hotel leading to bedrooms designed in calming hues.
Located next to the historic Biltmore Estate, there’s plenty to do in the local area. And after a day in the open air, fine dining and grill are available on-site. To wind down further, the Poseidon Spa offers pampering treatments made with local products.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville
2. The Inn On Biltmore Estate – a beautiful and unique hotel that offers a heated outdoor pool and an on-site spa
Part of the Vanderbilt’s stunning Biltmore Estate, The Inn delivers a Regency-era style luxury, surrounded by thousands of acres and breath-taking mountain views.
The guest rooms have a stately feel – supplying sophistication synonymous with the Vanderbilt name.
The estate itself offers a myriad of outdoor activities, trails, and gardens including 250 varieties of roses. Or you can browse the shops at Antler Hill Village, or ease into your stay at the estate’s upscale spa.
No less than seven restaurants give guests a range of dining options with much of the produce coming directly from the estate and award-winning vintages from the estate winery
- To book, check prices or availability for The Inn on Biltmore Estate
3. The Windsor, Asheville – a stylish, unique and very Instagrammable boutique-style hotel that features a wellness center
This meticulously renovated building in downtown Asheville retains much of its 1900’s charm while also having an ultra-modern vibe. Carefully curated artwork (from Paris and local artists), impressive statement pieces and tastefully selected furniture create a rustic elegance that is effortlessly Instagrammable.
Rooms are modern and comfortable in soothing shades with pretty pops of color. And to relax you further, massage, organic treatments and a relaxing atmosphere are on-hand at the hotel’s spa.
The on-site Benjamin Walls Art Gallery was founded by internationally recognized artist Benjamin Walls and assembles diverse and dazzling collections of visual treats, which can be enjoyed with a glass of award-winning wine in hand.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Windsor – Asheville
4. Kimpton – Hotel Arras, an IHG Hotel – a trendy boutique-style hotel that offers panoramic mountain and city views
In the center of the city, this former historic BB&T Bank building now serves as a boutique hotel with a slick, modern design throughout the hotel that is instantly relaxing.
Subtle touches of art deco alongside warm woods and modern metals create a fashionable environment that also presents work from local artists. The floor-to-ceiling windows and a spacious patio look out over 360°mountain views and cool cityscapes.
Eight elegant meeting rooms host occasions and functions, big or small, for business or pleasure. The Kimpton’s popular cocktail bar serves crafted drinks alongside international dishes, and the on-site restaurant offers Mediterranean-inspired cuisine.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kimpton – Hotel Arras, an IHG Hotel
5. Foundry Hotel Asheville, Curio Collection By Hilton – a uniquely designed cool and modern hotel perfect for hip visitors
In downtown Asheville, the red brick walls, dark chocolate furnishings and eclectic artworks of the Foundry Hotel are pure urban chic meets a slice of history.
A part of Asheville’s story, the foundry previously forged steel for the Biltmore Estate, but now you can stay there in style, and enjoy cozy plates of Appalachian or Africa- American eats at the hotel restaurants.
Meetings and events of up to 100 guests are held in three differently sized spaces which lend the same trendy atmosphere as the rest of the building. Other amenities include a fitness center and boutique.
- To book, check prices or availability for Foundry Hotel Asheville, Curio Collection By Hilton
6. Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, an IHG Hotel – a funky and creative design hotel located within close proximity to Asheville’s downtown
Stunning mountainous views can be enjoyed from many of the floor-to-ceiling windows which flood Hotel Indigo with natural light. Bright white linens welcome visitors inside stylish rooms each with a trendy feature wall.
Local art and photography hang in the colorful lobby, and further community links can be seen in the farm-to-table restaurant, also serving handcrafted cocktails and locally brewed beer. An on-site fitness center, business services and meeting rooms are also available.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, an IHG Hotel
7. AC Hotel Asheville Downtown – a modern, trendy and fun hotel located in the heart of Asheville perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
Large windows let swathes of sunlight into airy rooms, complementing the luxurious but understated design of this popular downtown Asheville hotel.
The stylish dining area provides a relaxing space to enjoy the hotel’s European-inspired breakfast or you can choose to take in the spectacular views of the Blue Ridge Mountains from the rooftop bar with a handcrafted cocktail and tasty plate.
A smart event space caters for occasions, with extra space for outdoor celebrations on the rooftop. A fitness center is also available for guest’s use.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel Asheville Downtown
8. Element Asheville Downtown – a very hip contemporary hotel that is travel sustainable
Close to the Carolina National Parks sits the trendy, eco-conscious Element Asheville Downtown. The hotel’s footprint is reduced by offering locally brewed beers, bicycle loan and comprehensive recycling program.
The peaceful white lobby sets the scene for guests staying in the comfortable rooms with outstanding mountainous and Asheville skyline vistas.
The sky patio is the best spot for views and also hosts weddings and events. A complimentary hot and cold breakfast is served, and there’s no shortage of nearby places to grab a bite to eat. Other amenities include pool and fitness center.
- To book, check prices or availability for Element Asheville Downtown
9. Aloft Asheville Downtown – one of the most unique hotels in Asheville with a funky and cool vibe
The Aloft Hotels are known for their fresh vibe and cool interiors – and Aloft Asheville Downtown is no exception. Geometric design and funky purple up-lighting features in the lobby lounge, while simple, clean design contrasts with pops of color in the bedrooms.
Guests can select a mountain view or poolside cabana rooms. Handcrafted cocktails can be savored overlooking downtown Asheville – the outdoor areas are also available for weddings and events.
Made-to-order meals are available in-room, and as the hotel is situated in downtown Asheville, there are many high-quality eatery options on the doorstep.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Asheville Downtown
10. Cambria Hotel Downtown Asheville – a modern upscale hotel which is within walking distance of many attractions
Being downtown with views of the magnificent Blue Rudge Mountains, Cambria Hotel is in a great spot.
On account of the huge windows, many of the loft-style guestrooms fill with natural light – and the uncluttered decor with cool red brick feature walls only add to the chilled-out atmosphere.
The hotel restaurant dishes up an authentic Cuban dining experience alongside craft brews which can be enjoyed with the locally inspired décor or in the sunshine on the outdoor terrace. With a range of meeting spaces available, there are options for meetings and events, big or small.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cambria Hotel Downtown Asheville
11. The Omni Grove Park Inn – Asheville – a magnificent unique hotel, perfect for weddings and celebrations
At the top of Sunset Mountain, in green open space and boasting traditional dry stone walls, this exceptionally-rated hotel has a fairy tale feel to it (even hosting a gingerbread house competition!). Open fires crackle in the luxurious lobby, and the bedrooms are plush and comfortable.
The subterranean spa, two pools, tennis courts, fitness center and golf course provide plenty of options to unwind or get active. There’s also a plethora of meeting rooms, pavilions and terraces for special occasions or business functions.
Dine alfresco or inside one of the four locally-sourcing restaurants that serve everything from high quality buffets to fine dining.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Omni Grove Park Inn – Asheville
12. Hilton Garden Inn Asheville Downtown – a vibrant hotel that provides amazing services, including free parking
A free shuttle ride from downtown Asheville, the highly-rated Hilton Garden Inn is a bright, comfortable place to stay. Tropical potted plants and vivid furnishings bring splashes of color to the airy lobby.
Bedrooms are in soft neutrals with colorful accents. The funky Pillar Kitchen dining room is decorated with locally inspired artwork, or you can enjoy your locally-sourced dishes at the rooftop bar along with hand-crafted cocktails and Asheville beers against a backdrop of the city skyline.
Other amenities include a pool and fitness center.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hilton Garden Inn Asheville Downtown
13. The Applewood Manor – a remarkable B&B surrounded by dazzling nature
This family-owned New England Style manor is just minutes walk to the center of downtown Asheville – with bike hire also available. The interior is an eclectic mix of thoughtfully curated décor and artwork combined with the coziness of open fireplaces and the intimate feel of a B&B.
The seven unique bedrooms are elegant and stylish, each with a private bathroom. There is also a cottage on-site for groups. Breakfast is farm-to-table using local ingredients.
A range of events are held regularly including guest chefs, wine tasting, organized bike rides, weddings, parties and business workshops.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Applewood Manor
15. Cedar Crest Inn – one of the most charming and coziest inns in Asheville
Close to Biltmore Estate entrance and Biltmore Village, this 1891 mansion is not a house you’ll see every day – painted pastel pink, surrounded by landscaped gardens and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The grand interior welcomes guests in style with wood paneling, plush carpets and dainty sofas, combined with modern comforts.
Guest rooms reflect the mansion’s cozy ambience with some rooms boasting terraces, balconies, Jacuzzis and fireplaces. All rooms have a private bathroom. Three cottages are also available. Breakfast is a two-course gourmet treat, using seasonal produce.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cedar Crest Inn
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Atlanta
- Cool boutique hotels in Myrtle Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Nashville
- Cool boutique hotels in Indianapolis
- Cool and Unusual Hotel in Birmingham
- Cool Boutique Hotels Savannah
- Cool boutique hotels in Tampa
- Cool boutique hotels in Washington DC
- Cool boutique hotels in Memphis
- Cool boutique hotels in St Louis
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Winston-Salem
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Charlotte
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Gatlinburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Chattanooga
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lexington
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Knoxville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hilton Head Island
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Greenville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Pigeon Forge
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Lanier
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.