Bar Harbor is the quintessential New England summer playground that used to cater to millionaires from Boston and New York, with yachting and other maritime activities, art galleries, boutique stores, spas, and scenic drives that take you through miles and miles of rugged coastline and wilderness. The harbor and mountains provide a stunning backdrop to the summer festivals and cruises, museums, open-air concerts and restaurants of every kind serving fresh seafood.
Wildlife lovers will be in heaven, with whale watching, puffin and lighthouse cruises, and the ecological richness of Acadia National Park with bears, foxes, deer, otters and bald eagles. Winter brings a different set of New England pastimes such as cross-country skiing, snowmobiling and snowshoeing.
To match the exhilarating beauty of the surroundings, you can stay at a luxury oceanside resort, find yourself a cozy boutique inn or cabin, or even pitch a tent in one of the campgrounds at the national park. To help you decide, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Bar Harbor (in no particular order)…
1. Queen Anne’s Revenge – one of the newest boutique accommodations with a cool and trendy yet classic décor perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Housed in a Victorian-style building dating back to the late 1800s, Queen Anne’s Revenge is a classy guest house featuring traditional rooms with vintage furniture and frilly linens.
Free Wi-Fi, minifridges, cable TV, and DVD players are available in all rooms. Upgraded rooms come with whirlpool tubs, balconies, and/or fireplaces. Communal amenities include a fireplace lounge and an expansive wraparound porch.
This cool hotel in Bar Harbor is a 1-minute drive from Frenchman Bay and a 2-minute drive from the Wild Gardens of Acadia.
Address: 39 Holland Ave, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Queen Anne’s Revenge
2. Little Fig Hotel – a stylish, contemporary and Instagrammable accommodation offering a complimentary grab-and-go breakfast
A Colonial-style boutique hotel in Bar Harbor housed in a whitewashed building dating back to the 19th century. The low-key hotel is conveniently located on Cottage Street, providing easy access to Bar Harbor’s waterfront, shops, and restaurants.
The 2-star hotel boasts conventionally designed rooms with cathedral ceilings. In-room amenities include free Wi-Fi, cable TV, and mini-fridges. Suites come with advanced amenities, such as kitchenettes or full kitchens and living rooms with pull-out sofas.
A garden spa offering massage treatments and on-site parking are also available.
Address: 109 Cottage St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Little Fig Hotel
3. The Primrose – an idyllic, quirky and hip accommodation that is a favorite for a couple’s romantic getaway
A polished B&B set in a classy house built in 1878, located within walking distance of downtown shops and restaurants.
Rooms at The Primrose feature a beautiful Victorian-style interior with antique furnishings and a vintage vibe. Each room has an en-suite bathroom, free Wi-Fi, and a flat-screen TV with a DVD player.
Guests lodged in upgraded rooms can enjoy advanced amenities, such as gas fireplaces, private balconies or porches, and/or whirlpool tubs. Sitting rooms are available in suites.
Enjoy freshly prepared breakfast in an indoor dining area or on a wraparound porch. Complimentary perks include parking, afternoon tea and drinks, GPS devices for hiking, and loaner e-book readers.
Address: 73 Mt Desert St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Primrose
4. Sand Bar Cottage Inn – a boutique accommodation that blends classic charm with modern comfort providing a pleasant stay
A gorgeous bed-and-breakfast conveniently located on historic West Street, with Bar Harbor Whale Museum just a few minutes away. With lodge-style architecture and thoughtfully appointed rooms and cottages, the B&B amazingly combines old-world charm with opulent comfort.
Individually-decorated rooms at Sand Bar Cottage Inn feature 43-inch smart TV with cable channels, en-suite bathrooms with complimentary toiletries, and free Wi-Fi.
Complimentary perks include continental breakfast, self-parking, and access to a refined lobby with a fireplace. There are several high-end restaurants located within walking distance of the B&B.
Address: 106 West St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Sand Bar Cottage Inn
5. Acadia Hotel – Downtown – a quirky-chic, stylish and modern accommodation surrounded by four acres of land bordering Acadia National Park
Set in an attractively offbeat building from 1884, Acadia Hotel welcomes guests to home-like accommodations with all modern comforts and top-end amenities. It is located in a lively shopping district in the heart of downtown Bar Harbor, a mile from the Acadia National Park.
Rooms at the 3-star hotel come with en-suite bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, and minifridges. Suites offer advanced amenities, such as separate living rooms, whirlpool tubs, and decks with mountain views.
Freebies include parking and bike storage. All guests have access to a wraparound porch.
Address: 20 Mt Desert St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Acadia Hotel – Downtown
6. Hearthside Inn – a trendy, quiet and cozy accommodation located on a peaceful street in the center of Downtown Bar Harbor
Nestled in a quiet residential area of the West Street Historic District, Hearthside Inn is a laid-back Victorian B&B featuring nine ornate rooms with antique furnishings.
All rooms have en-suite bathrooms and free Wi-Fi, while some come with whirlpool tubs and/or fireplaces. There’s one room with a private balcony and another with a private porch.
Guests can look forward to a delicious, 3-course breakfast served in a bright dining room, on the patio, or on the porch. Freebies include parking and afternoon snacks and drinks. The B&B also has a communal lounge with a fireplace.
Address: 7 High St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hearthside Inn
7. The Inn on Mount Desert – a charming, contemporary and picturesque accommodation located in the heart of Bar Habor
An idyllic, family-run guest house in a lush residential neighborhood along Route 3, a mile from the Acadia National Park’s entrance.
Look forward to the warm ambiance of modern rooms at this cute property. All rooms have free Wi-Fi, microwaves, minifridges, tea and coffee makers, and flat-screen TVs. Guests can revel in spectacular garden or harbor views from their private terraces or balconies.
Breakfast and parking are complimentary for all guests. There’s also a garden, a front porch, a library, and a common living room with a pool table.
Address: 68 Mt Desert St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Inn on Mount Desert
8. Chiltern Inn – a unique and historic-chic accommodation featuring an indoor pool, home theater and art gallery
Built in 1906 and lovingly re-designed from a Victorian-style stable and carriage house, this sophisticated bed and breakfast has featured on many property channels, owing to its unique common areas, floral gardens, and original artwork.
The attention to detail is immaculate, featuring soaring ceilings above cherry wood floors. Amenities include an art gallery, a home theatre, an indoor spa with a 32-foot lap pool, and an 8-person hot tub.
Guests rarely feel any need to leave, however, when they do, the renowned Kebo Valley golf course, and the azure waters of the ocean are less than two miles away.
Address: 11 Cromwell Harbor Road, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Chiltern Inn
9. Bluenose Inn – Bar Harbor Hotel – an upscale and elegant hotel where guests can enjoy panoramic views of Frenchman Bay
Perched atop an exquisite granite-terraced hillside, Bluenose Inn provides a unique insight into the beauty of Maine’s rockbound coast. From sweeping views of the Frenchman Bay to upscale amenities to warm ambiance, there’s so much to look forward to at this elegant, 4-star hotel.
There are 53 classically furnished rooms in two buildings. Each room comes with a 42-inch flat-screen TV, a Keurig coffee maker, free Wi-Fi, and mini-fridges. Upgraded rooms have microwaves, balconies, and/or fireplaces. A two-bedroom apartment and suites with high-end amenities are also available.
Bluenose Inn also boasts a sophisticated piano lounge, a spa, a stylish restaurant with ocean views, indoor and outdoor pools, an exercise room, a steam room, and a 24-hour business center.
Address: 90 Eden St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Bluenose Inn – Bar Harbor Hotel
10. Canterbury Cottage Bed & Breakfast – a charming, quaint and petite accommodation ideal for those looking for a relaxing stay
A vividly-colored B&B offering cottage-style accommodations in the heart of downtown Bar Harbor. It is located less than a mile from Agamont Park, with downtown shops and restaurants reachable within a short walk.
There are four snug, quaint rooms with private bathrooms, free Wi-Fi, and cable TV. One room has a private balcony and another has a whirlpool tub.
Full breakfast is served in-room every morning, while fruit and beverages are available throughout the day. Guests also have access to a living room filled with magazines and books.
Address: 12 Roberts Ave, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Canterbury Cottage Bed & Breakfast
11. Ivy Manor Inn Village Center – a beautiful, unique and historic-chic accommodation filled with character and an English Tudor style décor
A Tudor-inspired, icy-colored B&B located on Main Street downtown, two miles from the Acadia National Park’s Cadillac Mountain entrance.
The historic B&B boasts eight well-appointed, antique-filled rooms with private bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, fireplaces, and balconies. A solo suite comes with a separate living area.
There’s an on-site Italian restaurant with a patio and a communal lounge where complimentary wine-and-cheese hours are hosted.
Address: 194 Main St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Ivy Manor Inn Village Center
12. Anne’s White Columns Inn – a quiet, elegant and kitsch accommodation with a sunlight porch overlooking the bright gardens
Excellent hospitality and Georgian architecture are the bedrock of this gracious inn, whose antique ambience is always ready to welcome guests to a beautiful vacation.
Entering through the columned portico, the lofty ceiling of the crips green foyer offers a soothing tone, and the crackling fireplace in the salon offers an air of calm serenity.
Named after vanished mansions from Bar Harbour’s Golden Age, the guestrooms are embellished by original artwork and classic wallcoverings, carefully selected to compliment the unique crisp white wicker and period cherry bedsteads in each room.
The sunlit porch provides a serene setting for a delicious breakfast overlooking the bright jewel tones of the gardens.
Address: 57 Mount Dessert Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Anne’s White Columns Inn
13. Black Friar Inn & Pub – a historic, cozy and quiet accommodation also known as one of Bar Harbor’s hidden gems
Featuring salvaged woodwork from the 18th century, Black Friar Inn & Pub is peacefully nestled on Summer Street, about a mile from Acadia National Park.
Beautiful architectural details, ranging from stained glass to skylights to turrets, complete the quaint interior in six well-appointed rooms. Some rooms come with decks and porches, while most offer fireplaces.
Guests can enjoy a la carte breakfast in a wood-paneled pub, also offering dinner and nightly happy hours along with live entertainment. Shared amenities include a refined lounge with a fireplace and a rooftop terrace.
Address: 10 Summer St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Black Friar Inn & Pub
14. Central House Inn – a beautiful and charming accommodation steps away from a variety of shops, restaurants and local activities
A quaint, historic 1887 inn located amid the shops and restaurants on Cottage Street, a short walk from the harbor and Agamont Park.
Central House Inn features uniquely designed rooms with en-suite bathrooms and air-conditioning. Other amenities include TVs, free Wi-Fi, and seating areas in some rooms.
Hot drinks are available round-the-clock for free. All guests have access to a covered porch with a seating area.
Address: 60 Cottage St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Central House Inn
15. Saltair Inn Waterfront B&B – an upscale, elegant and historic accommodation featuring a private beach
A relaxed, historic B&B facing Frenchman Bay, three blocks from downtown Bar Harbor. It is located less than a mile from West Street Historic District, with Acadia National Park reachable within a 5-minute drive.
Genteel rooms at this 1887 B&B are appointed with designer linens, gas fireplaces, and cable TV with DVD players. Luxurious amenities like heated bathroom floors and claw-foot or whirlpool tubs are also available in some rooms.
All rooms feature a distinctive decor with vaulted ceilings, French doors, or other architectural details.
There’s a warm dining room where a full breakfast is served every morning. Guests can enjoy all-day snacks in a sunroom. Other shared amenities include a living room, a back lawn with Adirondack chairs, and a lounge full of games and books.
Address: 121 West St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Saltair Inn Waterfront B&B
Situated near Village Green in the heart of downtown Bar Harbor, this rustic-chic property has a children’s playground, an airy living area, a full kitchen with a 4-person breakfast bar, three bedrooms, two bathrooms, and a billiard room.
Popular points of interest near this charming property include Frenchman Bay, Grand Park, Agamont Park, Criterion Theater, and Thunder Hole.
Address: Bar Harbor, 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Bar Harbor Penthouse
17. Main Street Motel – a newly renovated and modern accommodation and in walking distance of Downtown’s popular attractions
Main Street Motel has undergone a considerable overhaul to provide guests with an elevated experience of comfort and splendour. This seasonal two-story motel features modern conveniences in its well-appointed guestrooms.
These include flat-screen TVs, private bathrooms, and mini-fridges. Within walking distance are countless bars, restaurants, shops and galleries, and guests wishing to embark on a day trip to the breathtaking Acadia National Park can take advantage of the free Island Explorer shuttle.
Boasting a chic, thoughtfully-appointed, light colour scheme throughout the property’s interior and exterior, guests can rest for a blissful night’s sleep within luxurious bed linens and comfy cushions.
Address: 315 Main Street, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Main Street Motel
18. Hanscom’s Motel & Cottages – a quaint, newly renovated and pet-friendly accommodation that offers an outdoor fireplace, picnic area and BBQ facilities
A simple, refined motel located about a mile from Acadia National Park and a few miles from downtown Bar Harbor.
Modest rooms and quaint cottages at Hanscom’s are equipped with coffee makers, cable TV, microwaves, mini-fridges, and free Wi-Fi. There are kitchenettes and/or pull-out sofas in some units. Guests can take a dip in a seasonal outdoor pool or enjoy a well-cooked barbecue in a nearby picnic area.
Address: 273 ME-3, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hanscom’s Motel and Cottages
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Portland, Maine
- Cool boutique hotels in Cape Cod
- Cool boutique hotels in Nantucket
- Cool boutique hotels in Martha’s Vineyard
- Cool boutique hotels in Boston
- Cool boutique hotels in Newport RI
- Cool boutique hotels in Quebec
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Stowe VT
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.