Brimming with gorgeous architecture, intriguing and well-preserved Roman and Georgian buildings, literary connections, and a vast collection of excellent restaurants, museums, boutiques, bistros, and tearooms the vibrant, honey-hued, ancient spa town of Bath is one of the best-loved cities in England.
Encircled by the lush rolling hills of Somerset, this romantic destination is home to some of the United Kingdom’s finest boutique hotels, iconic historic inns, quirky-chic B&Bs and heritage sites renovated into luxury aparthotels.
Find the right accommodation to enjoy an extra-special and authentic Bathonian escape, so here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Bath, England (in no particular order)…
1. Abbey Hotel Bath, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel – a creative, vibrant and Insta-worthy hotel set in a great central location
The Abbey Hotel offers an idyllic setting and central location to revel in the elegance and charm of Bath, ending your sightseeing adventures with scrumptious meals and indulgently comfortable sleep stations. One of the finest boutique hotels in Bath, Abbey Hotel is housed in a heritage landmark site with a rich and powerful legacy.
The head-turning interiors are a glamorous love affair with Palladianism, paying homage to the site’s architect, John Wood. The sprawling guest rooms and suites combine thoughtful, modern elements with heritage-style furniture to stay true to the building’s antiquated soul.
The bedrooms have been categorized into distinct eclectic art-themed aesthetic profiles, featuring the Print Rooms, Gallery Rooms and Cinematography Rooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Abbey Hotel Bath, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
2. Harington’s Hotel – a super-cute independent boutique hotel with quirky-chic decor where pets are also welcome
The ultimate retreat for an authentic Bathonian experience, Harington’s Hotel serves luxury with close attention to quality and finesse shining through the smallest details.
Nestled in the heart of the city centre, Harington’s is situated on a charming cobbled side alley famous for remnants depicting Bath’s awe-inspiring Roman heritage.
Even the most discerning of jet-setters and luxury-minded travellers are bound to be delighted by Harington’s extensive range of elegantly appointed rooms and independent apartments. The 13 guest rooms feature unique interior profiles featuring finely crafted furniture, plush bedding and modern appliances.
This historic townhouse offers a central location within proximity to popular attractions, including the Thermae Spa, Roman Baths and sites along the famous Jane Austen tours.
- To book, check prices or availability for Harington’s Hotel
3. Hotel Indigo – Bath, an IHG Hotel – a hip and trendy 18th-century boutique hotel perfect for design-loving Millennials and Gen Zs
A popular city landmark famous for its light-amber Georgian exterior and historical significance, Hotel Indigo welcomes travellers to the quaint location of South Parade, a stone’s throw away from Bath centre.
The majestic interiors and 166 tastefully furnished guest rooms pay homage to Bath’s romantic ambience, historical architecture and literary heritage.
The guest rooms play up rich and awe-inspiring influences of celebrated novelists, architects and artists who made Bath the extraordinary destination it is.
The onsite Elder Restaurant whips up authentic British cuisine with an ambient fine dining venue. Guests simply have to step outside to be swept up by Bath’s antiquated charm, enthralling street performances, and innumerable historical attractions.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo – Bath, an IHG Hotel
4. Henrietta House, a member of Radisson Individuals – a unique Georgian period townhouse that features an artistic contemporary design
A proud member of Radisson Individuals, the Henrietta House positions travellers near the idyllic Pulteney Bridge, a stone’s throw away from the vibrant city centre and historic quarters.
This ideally located boutique hotel is home to two different buildings featuring a traditional wing and an upscale boutique.
Guests can choose their ideal accommodation from 66 uniquely designed rooms, ranging from double and twin rooms to two-bedroom Junior suites and more. The traditional wing offers a quintessentially English experience with spacious rooms designed with a homely warmth.
The ground floor is home to an eclectic bar and lounging space, right next to the in-house restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Henrietta House, a member of Radisson Individuals
5. The Yard in Bath Hotel – a chic and trendy boutique hotel to stay in Bath a 7-minute walk from the Roman Baths
Nestled in a charming historic courtyard, the Yard in Bath offers a tranquil escape to escape the city humdrum without distancing yourself from the action-packed city centre.
This whimsical establishment is home to 14 elegant bedrooms depicting The Yard’s powerful character and history with understated grace.
The bedrooms and suites are divided across three floors, featuring luxury amenities, historic elements, and traditional linens. No two rooms are similar in design or theme, for each accommodation is unique in terms of luxury and aesthetics.
Guests can choose between starting their day with a self-service breakfast table at the onsite café or a breakfast hamper featuring organic produce, freshly baked croissants and jam delivered to their doors.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Yard in Bath Hotel
6. No 15 by GuestHouse, Bath – a romantic historic luxury hotel that offers opulent individually designed rooms
An imaginative abode of quirky wonders and opulent splendours, No. 15 by GuestHouse is not your average boutique hotel.
The Georgian architecture and 18th-Century exterior fit right into the old-world charm of Jane Austen’s Bath, but the interiors are a striking contrast with their vibrant displays of modern art.
Everywhere the eye turns, one is greeted with jewel-studded furniture, bold murals and a juxtaposed blend of contrasting patterns. Guests can explore 36 tastefully furnished bedrooms in the townhouse building or find a sprawling suite in the intimate setting of the Coach House.
Each room is uniquely decorated to create a masterpiece of Georgian elegance, fine British furniture and luxurious creature comforts.
The Pulteney Rooms undoubtedly steal the show with their romantic ambience and high-end luxury accents like plexiglass furniture, high ceilings and marble washstands.
- To book, check prices or availability for No 15 by GuestHouse, Bath
7. Bathen House Boutique Hotel – this fine and elegant upscale boutique hotel is one of the most Instagrammable hotels in Bath
The Bathen House is one of Bath’s most elegant boutique hotels, offering vacationers an extensive range of mid-ranged bedrooms and spacious suites, including the Deluxe King, Superior King, Junior Suite and Luxury Suite.
This property offers a wide array of opulent amenities and extravagances, but it’s the beautiful bathrooms that make it stand out and command attention.
Each guest room and suite at Bathen House features spa-like bathrooms fit-for-a-king, featuring glass chandeliers, huge mirror walls, walk-in rain showers and roll-top baths.
The rooms are equipped with air conditioning, 4K flat-screen TVs, tea and coffee-making equipment, and fine linens. The onsite Bouvardia Restaurant curates a sumptuous fine dining experience with locally sourced ingredients.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bathen House Boutique Hotel
8. Hiding Space – Trim Street Apartments – a cool, hip and trendy aparthotel perfect for families or longer stays
The Trim Street Apartments is a fabulous project by Hiding Space, featuring a collection of 10 studio, one and two-bedroom apartments.
Nested in proximity to the central retail district, the Roman Baths and the Abbey, this centrally located venue positions vacationers in the heart of Bath city.
The eclectic mezzanine apartments are ideally suited for solo travellers, honeymooners and small families, while large groups prefer the spacious Penthouse suite with a private terrace and hot tub. All accommodations come with fully-equipped kitchens, smart appliances, a well-stock minibar, Cowshed toiletries and housekeeping services.
The Trim Street Apartments offer exciting discounts for corporate retreats, group bookings and extended vacations.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hiding Space – Trim Street Apartments
9. The Queensberry Hotel – an upscale Georgian boutique hotel with unique and beautiful quirky-chic decor
Home to four Georgian-era townhomes featuring elegantly furnished guest rooms and suites, the Queensberry Hotel is world-famous for its quality-driven service standards and award-winning cuisine.
The Queensberry has bagged the prestigious AA Red Star for its unmatched service standards for ten years in a row. One of the most exceptional and inimitable hotels to stay in Bath, the Queensberry stands out with its bold Georgian character, opulently appointed accommodations and its onsite dining spot – Bath’s only Michelin-starred restaurant.
This luxury hotel offers each guest a uniquely tailored experience, accommodating various budgets and housing needs with its extensive lineup of rooms and suites.
The Club and Classic Rooms are quite suitable for budget-conscious vacationers, while the Four Poster suite delivers extravagance without breaking the bank.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Queensberry Hotel
10. The Roseate Villa Bath – a gorgeous upscale Georgian villa that offers first-class amenities
Nestled in a quaint corner of the City’s historic quarter, the Roseate Villa is home to two beautifully renovated Victorian homes with a rich and powerful heritage. Overlooking the 7-acre Henrietta Park, this luxury accommodation serves as an ideal base to explore Bath’s extraordinary culture and historical legacy.
This boutique hotel is home to 21 luxuriously appointed guest rooms featuring beautiful interiors, bespoke furniture and modern amenities.
Travellers enjoy classic British spreads of home-baked cakes and teas served in the garden, and light-hearted banters at the eclectic Henrietta Bar.
This dog-friendly establishment is extremely considerate to travellers with pets, and your furry friend will find a companion in Muttley, the resident dog at Roseate Villa.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Roseate Villa Bath
11. The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa – a haven of elegance complete with a chic spa located in the historic city of Bath
A magnificent hotel renowned for its 1775 Georgian architecture, old-world charm and matchless hospitality, the Royal Crescent Hotel is a class apart with its quintessential Bathonian ambience.
Designed by the celebrated Georgian architect, John Wood the Younger, this Grade-I listed site is home to two main buildings.
The interiors pay homage to the breathtaking intricacy of the façade and beautifully landscaped garden surrounding the hotel. One cannot help but marvel at the craftiness of the renovation process, transforming standard coach houses into tastefully appointed accommodations.
Guests can explore 45 beautifully furnished guest rooms and suites designed by ace interior designer Jane Clayton.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
12. Francis Hotel Bath – a Regency-style townhouse hotel housed in a historic period building perfect for a romantic break
The Francis Hotel curates a memorable experience characterized by traditional British hospitality from a location that oozes nostalgia and antiquated charm from every nook and cranny.
A glorious remnant of Bath’s Georgian architecture, this luxury boutique hotel boasts a fancy address in the heart of Queen Square.
This magnificent 18th-Century hotel is home to 98 well-appointed guest rooms decked with exquisitely crafted furniture and modern amenities.
The Francis Hotel allows vacationers to fulfil their housing needs with an extensive range of accommodations, from Classic Rooms to sprawling Feature Suites.
The onsite restaurant, Boho Marché, is a popular dining spot to feast on authentic Moroccan cuisine.
- To book, check prices or availability for Francis Hotel Bath
13. SACO Bath – St James Parade – a centrally located aparthotel that features fine Italian furniture
Tucked near the Theater Royal in Bath’s historic quarters, SACO is home to beautifully appointed luxury apartments. This opulent aparthotel is housed in a recently renovated Georgian terrace, envisioned into a collection of studio, one and two-bedroom apartments.
The uniquely designed accommodations feature bespoke Italian furniture, state-of-the-art stainless steel kitchens, sprawling living areas, dining spaces and luxury bedrooms.
The two-bedroom apartments offer more space with an additional en-suite bathroom featuring a power shower and spa-like upgrades.
These apartments offer an ideal location to explore Bath on foot, with an abundance of popular attractions within walking distance. You can easily walk to Bath Abbey, Bath University, and the Thermae Spa.
- To book, check prices or availability for SACO Bath – St James Parade
14. Lansdown Grove Hotel – a grand and charming upscale hotel located in a quieter part of Bath
The Lansdown Grove Hotel welcomes vacationers to revel in sprawling heritage-style guest rooms, fine dine at a fabulous onsite restaurant and enjoy sweeping panoramic views of Bath’s architectural grandeur.
Situated in the serene beauty of Lansdown Hill, the Lansdown Grove is an enchanting 1770 Georgian mansion located within proximity to the City’s central quarters. Guests enjoy easy access to the Royal Crescent, Bath Abbey, Bath Assembly Rooms, The Circus and the Roman Baths.
The Lansdown Grove is home to 61 recently renovated rooms and suites featuring a classic old-meets-new character with bold strokes of Georgian-era aesthetics blended with contemporary amenities.
The onsite 1913 Restaurant & Bar elevates the hotel’s extravagance with its sumptuous spreads and romantic candlelit dinners.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lansdown Grove Hotel
15. Homewood Hotel & Spa – an eclectic, upscale and beautifully English place to stay in Bath
The Homewood Hotel offers travellers the best of Bath City and Freshford Village with a fabulous location overlooking the breathtaking Avon Valley.
Surrounded by enchanting nature walks and verdant hedgerows, this luxurious oasis of opulence is a magnificent Georgian-era country home with a world-class spa and heated outdoor pool.
Walking through the hotel grounds is akin to a visual feast of art and culture, for the estate is sprawling with beautiful artworks and well-manicured gardens.
The 21 bedrooms in the main house feature upscale amenities, including artwork, bathroom toiletries, handy accessories and statement art pieces.
The in-house terrace restaurant, Dining Domes, is famous for hearty platters of Bathonian classics prepared with a rich Mediterranean twist.
- To book, check prices or availability for Homewood Hotel & Spa
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Cornwall
- Cool boutique hotels in Bristol
- Cool boutique hotels in Brighton
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Newquay
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bournemouth
- Cool boutique hotels in Oxford
- Cool boutique hotels in Cambridge
- Cool boutique hotels in London
- Cool boutique hotels in Birmingham
- Cool boutique hotels in York
- Cool boutique hotels in Edinburgh
- Cool boutique hotels in Dublin
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cardiff
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Devon
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cotswolds
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hastings
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.