Perched at over 6,700 feet on the shores of a pristine lake that goes by the same name, Big Bear Lake is an adventure-filled city in Southern California.
From the surrounding San Bernardino mountains to the Snow Summit ski resort to the vibrant downtown, the city offers an eclectic range of activities every season. Sledging, skiing, hiking, snowboarding, and mountain biking are some of the many adventures you can engage in this laid-back city.
With over 22 miles of shoreline, Big Bear Lake presents numerous opportunities to enjoy the water. When you are done adoring the city’s natural wonders, you can head downtown to explore an ever-evolving array of gift shops, boutiques, and restaurants. There are plenty of amazing places to stay in this down-to-earth city, ranging from low-key vacation rentals to fancy boutique hotels. Here are the top cool and unusual hotels in Big Bear Lake, California (in no particular order)…
1. Lakewood Cabins – a rustic-chic four-season resort where guests can benefit from hiking and other great outdoor activities
This vacation resort on Main Street downtown is one of the coolest places to stay in Big Bear Lake. There are nine lavishly appointed cabins, each of which comes with a kitchen, a fireplace, free parking space, and a flat-screen TV.
With onsite fishing, hiking, and horseback riding, Lakewood Cabins combine adventure with upscale amenities. The family-friendly hotel also boasts BBQ facilities and a children’s playground.
Address: 586 Main St, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Lakewood Cabins
2. Noon Lodge – trendy and stylish cabin rentals where pets are welcome
There is no better place to experience the laid-back ambiance of Big Bear than this rustic lodge sitting on the shores of Mallard Lagoon. Located about five miles from Bear Mountain ski resorts, Noon Lodge is a perfect place to enjoy a low-key vacation with modern amenities.
Refined cabins at this 3-star hotel are outfitted with mini-fridges, coffee makers, complimentary Wi-Fi, and TVs with DVD players. Upgraded studios have futons and kitchens with dining tables. Up to eight guests can sleep in the bi-level two- to three-bedroom cabins.
As you sip your morning coffee by the fireplace in your room, you can revel in mesmerizing lake views. Onsite amenities include two fire pits, two barbecue grills, and a heated outdoor pool.
Address: 214 Lagunita Ln, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Noon Lodge
3. Oak Knoll Lodge – a cool and quirky historic lodge that offers a seasonal outdoor pool and barbecue
Featuring unfussy log cabins with whirlpool tubs and fireplaces, this casual lodge is a perfect pick for those who want to witness Big Bear’s austere side.
Located within the Angeles National Forest, this 3-star hotel is roughly a mile from Rotary Pine Knot Park with Snow Summit Ski Resort accessible within a 5-minute drive. Each cabin is equipped with a TV, a patio with scenic views, and a fully functional kitchen.
Oak Knoll Lodge also features a fire pit, a kids’ play area, and a seasonal outdoor pool with a waterslide. Parking is complimentary for all guests.
Address: 949 Tulip Ln, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Oak Knoll Lodge
4. Bay Meadows Resort – a trendy and casual boutique-style hotel near top attractions
With high-end amenities and homey comfort, this relaxed hotel attracts vacationers who want to experience the serenity of Big Bear Lake.
Downhome cottages at Bay Meadows Resort offer complimentary Wi-Fi, coffee makers, microwaves, flat-screen TVs, and DVD players. Each cabin has a well-furnished sitting area and a porch.
One- and two-bedroom cottages have kitchens or kitchenettes and living rooms. You’ll have to upgrade to enjoy higher-end amenities like whirlpool tubs and wood-burning stoves.
Onsite picnic areas, a hot tub, a seasonal outdoor pool, a sauna, and a fire pit will keep you from leaving the hotel.
Address: 39756 Big Bear Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Bay Meadows Resort
5. Bear Mountain Summit Lodge – a homely lodge that provides a peaceful setting where you can unplug and unwind
This snug house is a dream destination for those looking to have a peaceful time away from the bustling downtown.
Located about three miles from Big Bear City Park, this two-bedroom cabin boasts a hot tub, a sun terrace, a furnished patio, a fully equipped kitchen, and a spacious living room. With a double bed in each bedroom, the cabin can comfortably sleep up to four adults and four children.
There are so many fun things to do nearby, including skiing, canoeing, hiking, fishing, and horse riding.
Address: 43023 Falls Ave., Big Bear Lake, 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Bear Mountain Summit Lodge
6. Bluegreen Vacations Big Bear Village, Ascend Resort Collection – one of the most Instagrammable hotels in Big Bear Lake
Experience the rustic charm of Big Bear Lake at this modest hotel in a wooded area located two miles from Snow Summit Ski Resort. Guests lodge in warmly decorated suites equipped with porches and balconies. Each unit also has a kitchen, a flat-screen TV, and a living room with sofa beds and fireplaces.
With a heated outdoor pool, a hot tub, a kids’ pool, a game room, and a fitness center, there’s no shortage of onsite amenities at Bluegreen Vacations Big Bear Village.
Address: 40671 Village Dr, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Bluegreen Vacations Big Bear Village, Ascend Resort Collection
7. Vintage Lakeside Inn – one of the best inns to spend a romantic gateway
Vintage Lakeside Inn is a great pick for those who want to stay close to some of the best amusement parks in Big Bear Lake. The classic hotel is roughly two miles from Snow Summit Mountain Resort with Meadow Park reachable within an 8-minute walk.
Plain rooms at Vintage Lakeside Inn are equipped with cable TV, fireplaces, coffee makers, and wireless Internet. Some rooms have seating areas and kitchenettes, while suites feature pull-out sofas and whirlpool tubs.
You’ll love the al fresco dining at the onsite restaurant overlooking the lake. The hotel also has a brick-built bar and a coffee shop.
Address: 41076 Big Bear Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Vintage Lakeside Inn
8. A Beary Good Time – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Big Bear Lake perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
This homespun chalet by Dollywood and Dolly’s Splash Country is spacious enough to accommodate your entire family. Sleeping up to 10 people, this three-bedroom chalet offers a perfect home away from home with urban amenities.
The airy living room, the fully equipped kitchen, and the well-appointed bedrooms will make your stay super comfortable.
Located about two miles from Big Bear Marina, the cabin is fully wooded both inside and outside. You can also revel in stunning alpine views from your balcony. There’s also a game room with plenty of board games and a pool table.
Address: Big Bear Lake, 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for A Beary Good Time
9. Eagle’s Nest – an unpretentious lodge that provides great facilities
Luxe lodge rooms and free-standing cabins await you at this Old West-style lodge bed and breakfast located just off Highway 18, with Big Bear Lake accessible within a 22-minute walk.
Offering a truly vintage lodging experience, Eagle’s Nest is one of the most unique places to stay in Big Bear Lake. Each cabin is bedecked with antique furnishings, stained glass, and Western movie posters.
In-room amenities include complimentary Wi-Fi, coffee makers, fireplaces, whirlpool tubs, mini-fridges, and microwaves.
All guests have access to a public living room with a stone fireplace, a movie library, and a big-screen TV.
Address: 41675 Big Bear Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Eagle’s Nest
10. Grey Squirrel Resort & Vacation Rental Homes – a cozy and charming resort perfect for large groups and family
An unostentatious resort located about seven miles from Big Bear City Airport. If you are looking for a peaceful retreat in an alpine setting, Grey Squirrel Resort is a great option.
Guests sojourn in woodsy cabins and suites outfitted with microwaves, fireplaces, free Wi-Fi, and fireplaces. The 4-star hotel also features a recreational area for children, a heated outdoor pool, and an event space.
Address: 39372 Big Bear Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Grey Squirrel Resort & Vacation Rental Homes
11. Sierra Blue Suites – an upscale hotel near popular points of interest
Maintaining its stylish presence on Lynn Road downtown, Sierra Blue Suites offers luxurious accommodations with a homey ambiance. If you are looking for a decent place with easy access to downtown restaurants and shopping, there is no place to stay better than this all-suite hotel.
Accommodation options at this 3-star hotel include Deluxe King Suite, Junior Suite, and Superior King Suite. Each unit has a private bathroom, complimentary Wi-Fi, and a flat-screen TV.
Popular attractions near the hotel include Veterans Park and Bluff Lake Reserve.
Address: 563 Lynn Rd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Sierra Blue Suites
12. Castle Wood Theme Cottages- COUPLES ONLY – a unique and exceptional place to stay that features distinctive themes
These quaint cottages are perfectly situated about seven miles from the center of Big Bear Lake. Each cottage features a whimsical theme and distinctive decor.
Whether you choose to stay in the woodland treehouse or the Egyptian bedchamber, you’ll enjoy upscale amenities. All cottages have mini-fridges, coffee makers, wood-burning fireplaces, and 2-person whirlpool tubs.
Parking is complimentary, while in-room massages and firewood are available for a fee. While living here, you’ll also have access to a heated outdoor pool and a private picnic area with a waterfall.
Address: 547 Main St, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Castle Wood Theme Cottages- COUPLES ONLY
13. Sleepy Forest Cottages – an unassuming lodge ideal for the ultimate relaxation
With wood-paneled walls, traditional furnishings, warm decor, and stone accents, these snug cottages seamlessly combine modern luxury with country charm. This low-key resort is set in woodland about three miles from Bear Mountain ski area.
All cottages have flat-screen TVs and fireplaces, while some also offer kitchenettes and 2-person whirlpool tubs.
Complimentary perks at Sleepy Forest Cottages include in-room Wi-Fi access, board games, movie rentals, and afternoon coffee and snacks. There’s also a patio with BBQ facilities.
Address: 404 Eureka Dr, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Sleepy Forest Cottages
14. Colorado Lodge – a modern mountain retreat that offers a distinctive and unforgettable experience
Minimalism meets luxury at this newly renovated lodge on Jefferis Road. Developed by Echo Park punk architects, this chic lodge spans two beautiful acres of woodland about a mile from Big Bear Marina.
At Colorado Lodge, you’ll stay in Scandinavian-style houses featuring full kitchens, patios with garden views, en-suite bathrooms, and separate sitting areas with flat-screen TVs. With easy access to downtown attractions, this secluded lodge is one of the best places to stay in Big Bear Lake.
Address: 606 Jeffries Rd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Colorado Lodge
15. Apples Bed and Breakfast Inn – a colorful, kitsch, and cozy country-style B&B to stay in Big Bear Lake
Set in a rose-colored Victorian building and two annexes, Apples Bed and Breakfast Inn covers an acre of lush gardens about a mile from the exquisite shores of Big Bear Lake.
Shabby-chic rooms at this colorful B&B are appointed with plush beds and wingback recliners. From gas fireplaces to 4 turret beds to 2-person Jacuzzis, you’ll enjoy tons of high-end amenities here.
Afternoon snacks are complimentary for all guests, while a full breakfast is served in the communal dining area for a fee. The grand living area features a piano and a wood-burning fireplace.
Address: 42430 Moonridge Rd, Big Bear Lake, CA 92315, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Apples Bed and Breakfast Inn
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Palm Springs
- Cool boutique hotels in Joshua Tree
- Cool boutique hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool boutique hotels in Long Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Huntington Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Santa Monica
- Cool boutique hotels in Malibu
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.