Sometimes known as the Magic City, Birmingham Alamaba is mostly known for its past and its Civil Rights movement, but the hilly (the foothills of the Appalachians is its beautiful backdrop), the mid-sized city is also filled with charm, beauty, class, art, culture and excellent dining.
It also has some surprisingly hip spots with cool neighborhoods filled with eclectic shops, artisanal breweries, music venues and coffee shops galore.
That’s not forgetting the city has plenty of stylish interesting places to stay too. From intimate boutiques to sleek and modern high rises, here are some of the best cool and unusual hotels in Birmingham, Alabama (in no particular order)…
1. Elyton Hotel, Autograph Collection – a trendy and very Instagrammble boutique hotel that offers concierge services that include organising tours for guests
Indulge and relax during your stay at the Elyton Hotel. Dine at the rooftop bar called Moon Shine that’s on-site at the hotel. You get to enjoy the best landscape of Downtown Birmingham while dining on small bar plates and deliciously crafted cocktails.
Try upscale meat and seafood or vegetable dishes at the other on-site restaurant called The Yard. They strive to deliver the best-tasting food using only locally sourced and high-quality ingredients.
Modern-looking suites with accommodations based on your taste will make you feel like you are living your best life.
Address: 1928 1st Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- To book, check prices or availability for Elyton Hotel, Autograph Collection
2. The Kelly Birmingham, Tapestry Collection By Hilton – a beautiful and artistic design hotel that overlooks downtown Birmingham
The Kelly Birmingham is another Downtown Birmingham hotel located 15 minutes from the airport. The hotel is only moments away from attractions such as the Birmingham Museum of Art, the local theater, and Regions Field.
Their on-site restaurant, Calico offers Southern-inspired food from a worldwide take. Enjoy refreshing craft cocktails at the Calico Bar.
If you have a special event upcoming at The Kelly, you can create your attendee website or have hotel representatives do it for you.
Address: 2027 1st Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- To book, check prices or availability for The Kelly Birmingham, Tapestry Collection By Hilton
3. Valley Hotel Homewood Birmingham – Curio Collection By Hilton – a chic, stylish and very Instagrammable hotel which is a favorite among couples
Downtown Homewood’s Valley Hotel offers upscale breakfast dishes at their on-site Bistro Cafe. If you prefer comfort food, you can visit their in-house restaurant called Ironwood for lunch and dinner.
Sit at the outdoor terrace for a moment of fresh air or you can attend one of the events in that area during your stay.
If you are attending one of their ballroom events, consider booking a stay to indulge in a fancy retreat before and after the event.
Address: 2727 18th St S, Homewood, AL 35209
- To book, check prices or availability for Valley Hotel Homewood Birmingham – Curio Collection By Hilton
Distance from Birmingham — 9 minutes
4. Hotel Indigo – Birmingham Five Points S – UAB, an IHG Hotel – a fun and funky hotel that welcomes pets too
Hotel Indigo is a 3-star hotel located in the Five Points South area of Birmingham.
Once a local apothecary, Hotel Indigo came to Birmingham in the 1980s. When you visit, you can still see the apothecary’s symbol on the wall above the elevators throughout the building.
The Rx Lounge is the restaurant that is named in honor of the apothecary that was before the hotel. You receive “prescriptions” to get better during your day with your choice of Southern food and spirits.
Address: 1023 20th St S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo – Birmingham Five Points S – UAB, an IHG Hotel
5. The Westin Birmingham – a stylish choice with polished modern decor located in the heart of the city
The Westin Birmingham is a 4-star hotel in Downtown Birmingham located in the Jefferson Birmingham Convention Complex.
Not many hotels have an on-site golfing course, which makes Westin Birmingham one of the top hotels for fun amenities in Birmingham. Check out the hotel package that includes having fun at the in-house Top Golf Birmingham.
Address: 2221 Richard Arrington Jr Blvd N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Birmingham
6. The Redmont Hotel, Birmingham – a unique historic hotel that offers chic decor with a roaring 20s vibe
The Redmont Hotel ranks 3 stars and is reminiscent of the 1920s in its looks. Since it opened in 1925, it has maintained its Roaring 20s display throughout the hotel while giving you modern accommodations.
Staying at the Redmont Hotels gives you access to The Roof, which is a rooftop bar at the most height in Alabama. Enjoy their craft cocktails before the end of the day to get the best view of the local sunset.
This is the best reason that Redmont Hotel is one of the top 12 cool and unusual hotels in Birmingham. 2101 Cafe offers upscale coffee and accompanying snacks such as pastries. Harvest Restaurant & Bar gives you a patio dining experience unlike any other.
Address: 2101 5th Ave N, Birmingham, AL 35203
- To book, check prices or availability for The Redmont Hotel – Birmingham
7. Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham Downtown Near UAB – an outstanding hotel suitable for couples or families
Not many hotels have kitchens. However, Homewood Suites gives you a whole rounded home experience with an in-suite kitchen that lets you cook your favorite meals and snacks during your stay.
To navigate Alabama attractions, the hotel has a free shuttle that you can utilize rather than paying for public transportation. Mingle during their free Wednesday social event if you are staying throughout the week.
Enjoy local attractions such as the Birmingham Sports Hall of Fame or the McWane Science Center. Take a walk down America’s history and visit the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.
Address: 1016 20th St S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- To book, check prices or availability for Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham Downtown Near UAB
8. Aloft Birmingham Soho Square – a hip, fun and funky stay perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
Aloft is a 3-star hotel located in Birmingham Soho Square. Get cozy in your comfy loft-like suite. Bring your pets along and relax in one of the pet-friendly suites.
Re:fuel is their on-site 24-hour convenience store where you can grab drinks, snacks, and other convenience items without having to leave the hotel.
Enjoy tourist attractions in nearby Downtown Birmingham including the Birmingham Museum of Art, Kelly Ingram Park, and Negro Southern League Museum.
Address: 1903 29th Ave S, Homewood, AL 35209
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Birmingham Soho Square
Distance from Birmingham — 9 minutes
9. Birmingham Tree House – a quirky chic hotel that provides many complimentary services, including free parking
Skip the usual hotel experience and try the Birmingham Tree House in the Five Points South neighborhood.
It’s a Victorian mansion from the late 19th century that’s been transformed into a boutique bed and breakfast venue.
Relax during your vacation in the living room or get some work done in the designated co-working space.
If you love yoga, participate in their private small group classes on Wednesday mornings or evenings. Expertise.com voted Birmingham Tree House as one of the Best Yoga Studios in Birmingham for 2022.
Address: 1309 19th St S, Birmingham, AL 35205
- To book, check prices or availability for Birmingham Tree House
10. Eden Brae: Historic Southern Gothic Mansion – an exceptional holiday home that features a garden and barbecue facilities
Eden Brae is a gothic mansion in Birmingham’s Highland Park. It’s a highly sought-after self-catering accommodation location with a 5-star rating across the board from prior visitors.
Choose from one of the 5 available apartments for rent. If you have a large family, you can rent the entire house for a family reunion or a family trip to the Birmingham area.
Cook in the chef’s kitchen in the house or the outdoor kitchen. Have a family-cooked meal indoors or do some outdoor grilling during your stay.
Address: 3308 Cliff Rd # 1, Birmingham, AL 35205
- To book, check prices or availability for Eden Brae: Historic Southern Gothic Mansion
11. Red Door Retreat- Executive, Luxury, Historic – one of the best holiday homes that is fitted with 4 bedrooms and a fully equipped kitchen
Red Door Retreat is another great self catering destination located in Highland Park.
Relax on the wraparound porch during the sunny days of your stay. Cook your favorite meals in the chef’s kitchen and enjoy eating them on the extended patio adjacent to the kitchen. You don’t need to bring any pots or pans or other cooking utensils as it’s already in there for you to use.
The backyard is fenced in and has two levels to it for plenty of backyard exploration and enjoyment by the kids and adults alike.
Enjoy Downtown Birmingham only 4 miles away from the Red Door Retreat.
- To book, check prices or availability for Red Door Retreat- Executive, Luxury, Historic
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Atlanta
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Nashville
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Memphis
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in New Orleans
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Asheville
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Savannah
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Myrtle Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Charlotte
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Naples, Florida
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Gatlinburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hot Springs
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Chattanooga
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Charleston
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Gulf Shore
- Cool Boutique hotels in Natchez
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hilton Head Island
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Biloxi
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Lanier
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Pensacola Beach
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.