Mostly known for its beer, chocolate, and its beautiful historic architecture Brussels doesn’t shout about itself like other major European cities but still has plenty to offer. Must-do highlights include the great shopping, excellent museums, fine restaurants and both art nouveau and medieval buildings.
It also has quite a hip side with lively bars and nightclubs, interesting neighbourhoods, street art galore and vintage shops. Brussels also has quite the collection of edgy and artistically designed hotels. From quirky-chic boutiques to modern and minimalistic, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Brussels, Belgium (in no particular order, they’re all fabulous)...
1. nhow Brussels Bloom – an unparallel hip art-themed hotel based in the lively Botanique area of Brussels
Each of the hotel’s 305 rooms have been designed to resemble an art gallery, with bespoke decorations and locally-inspired artwork stylishly placed on walls.
Furthermore, many of the guestrooms are located on the hotel’s upper floors, offering panoramic, artistic city views. From indulgent breakfasts to opulent nightcaps, the hotel also provides a wonderful selection of dining options, with pastries, bread, yoghurts, and fruit on offer for breakfast, and waffles on offer in the waffle van.
In the evening, street food is always on the menu, where guests can taste global flavours before sampling the cocktails in the trendy bar. Every floor in this hotel is home to a different theme, meaning guests can choose an option to suit their mood.
- To book, check prices or availability for nhow Brussels Bloom
2. Moxy Brussels City Center – an ultra-creative, Instagrammable and fun hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Paired with contemporary architecture, the stylish exterior which characterizes Moxy radiates an eclectic atmosphere. Guests, upon arrival, are greeted with a bright and open lobby layout.
The ‘Plug and Meet’ gathering areas feature modern, ergonomic seating, large writing walls, and a state-of-the-art video wall. A delicious continental breakfast, 24/7 food and beverage offerings, and an evening bar boasting wines and local brews, are just a few more of the excellent amenities on offer.
The bedrooms feature marvellous views over the city, with many of them providing private balconies. Further in-room amenities include flat-screen TV’s, built-in USB ports, and free complimentary Wi-Fi.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy Brussels City Center
3. Urban Yard Hotel – a unique greenery boutique hotel that offers hip picturesque interior
Located on the charming square de l’Aviation is the Urban Yard. The hotel has given a new lease of life to an old building, and brings light and character through its beautiful bow windows with curved glass.
Guests are put at ease upon entrance, through the hotel’s mischievous, quirky, yet friendly décor. The hotel is designed by Michel Penneman, and boasts 77 well-appointed guestrooms where guests can relax in the immediate vicinity of the Gare du Midi, an inner courtyard, and a light-drenched breakfast room.
Guests can choose from an international breakfast buffet, or indulge in locally inspired cuisine produced by top-rated chefs.
- To book, check prices or availability for Urban Yard Hotel
4. B&B Hôtel Brussels Centre Louise – a trendy and chic B&B near local attractions
This street is full of neo-classical and Art Nouveau buildings, who much like this grand B&B, also boast distinctive architecture full of unique character. The surrounding area is a sight to behold in itself! Movie nights, Karaoke nights, drinks in a trendy cocktail lounge, gym sessions – All of this is available in a plush setting, at this chic boutique B&B.
After a long day at work, or before heading out on the town in the evening, the hotel bar is the perfect place to unwind, with a great selection of hot and cold drinks and snacks on offer.
- To book, check prices or availability for B&B Hôtel Brussels Centre Louise
5. Hotel Indigo Brussels – City, an IHG Hotel – a cozy greenery hotel that offers a unique interior decor
Standing in lovely contrast to the sea of glass and steel office buildings which have sprung up around the bustling Place Rogier, is the flourishing green façade of Hotel Indigo.
The hotel celebrates a cultural fusion of horticulture and urban life, from its décor to the unique, green dining experiences at SERRA. Here, guests can enjoy nature’s finest foods.
Whether that means grabbing a quick bite at Urban Picnic or enjoying the menu at Garden Kitchen, there is plenty on offer at this unique hotel.
Placed right on the corner of Rue Neuve, the famous shopping street of Brussels, you are never more than a stone’s throw away from the bustling city and its conveniences.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Brussels – City, an IHG Hotel
6. Jardin Secret – a unique and trendy garden-themed hotel that offers a heated and exterior swimming pool
Jardin Secret lives up to its name, due to its discreet hideaway location in a quiet alley, in a central neighbourhood in Brussels. The hotel can be reached through streets that incidentally bare names of mythical tales and knights.
Once you arrive at the hotel, you will be find a wooden façade, behind which the hotel’s wellness and massage area is situated. Amidst the green territory which surrounds the hotel, time curiously seems to lose its usual track and texture.
Inside the hotel’s walls, the rooms, comfortable and commodious, peer directly into the garden, through large bay windows. The perfect respite spot for the discerning traveller!
- To book, check prices or availability for Jardin Secret
7. Hotel des Galeries – a stylish boutique hotel located in the heart of Brussels
A stone’s throw from the Grand Place, a charming experience is offered at the Hotel des Galeries. Artfully playing with luxury fabrics and contemporary colours, the entrusted designers have created an elegant yet cosy atmosphere, spreading to the 23 rooms and suites.
All guestrooms offer unique views of the Galeria du Roi and the City Hall. They boast distinctive features, including parquet flooring and wooden shutters, and furniture pieces from prominent contemporary design brands.
A signature theme of the hotel is the ceramic works of multiple shapes, which provide the uncluttered interiors with a true sense of authenticity. The hotel is ideally nestled under the magnificent vaults and windows of the Royal Galleries of Saint-Hubert.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel des Galeries
8. Aris Grand Place Hotel – an iconic contemporary hotel close to major attractions
Perfectly located in the heart of downtown Brussels is the Aris Grand Place Hotel, where guests can live a memorable experience through its contemporary design and warm aura.
Mere steps from the hotel, authentic Belgian chocolate, fries and waffle stores are aplenty, as are many of the capital’s most famous activities such as the Manneken Pis or the prestigious Royal Galeries Saint-Hubert.
The hotel boasts modern rooms which will certainly add a colourful charm to your Belgian vacation, amidst the peace and tranquillity of a comfortable, boutique accommodation. In the bathrooms, the hotel’s Rituals Cosmetics products range treats guests to a spot of luxury, and the springs quality bedding and cosy fashion accessories in bedrooms make for a truly remarkable reprieve.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aris Grand Place Hotel
9. Hotel Hubert Grand Place – a cool and unusual place to stay set in the heart of historic Brussels
Here we have a new designer hotel in the centre of Brussels, which likes to shake things up and focus on what really matters. This includes fast and easy online check-in, pleasant hosts to genuinely assist, and many choices for breakfast.
Nespresso coffee & cookies are complimentary in the lobby community area, and the 100 guestrooms all feature air-con, HD flat-screen TV’s, a refrigerator, and a private, amenity-laden bathroom.
The hotel shares its ground floor with The Foodmaker, where guests can also go to enjoy a healthy brunch. A virtual concierge is at guests’ disposal, for when they wish to explore the city on their own.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Hubert Grand Place
10. Pillows City Hotel Brussels Centre – a modern and trendy hotel set in the centre of Brussels
Conveniently situated in the living, beating heart of the city, within walking distance to most of Brussels’ highlights is the famed Pillows City Hotel, offering comfort in a contemporary, elegant way.
The 70 stylishly-appointed hotel rooms offer an atmosphere of total lavishness, and are both spacious and amenity-laden to make your city break a dreamy one.
The hotel has a very unique aroma upon entrance, again in keeping with its luxurious intentions. Guests can also enjoy small bites and drinks in an elegant setting, or spend the day playing board games in an informal setting with friends. Everything you could possible imagine is on offer at the Pillows City Hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pillows City Hotel Brussels Centre
11. Harmon House – a charming private mansion ideal for families and groups of friends
At the Harmon House, guests can indulge in the greatest of home comforts, in a cocoon of lovingkindness. Many guests leave feeling like the most important person in the world, and that is what it means to stay at the Harmon House.
It is much more than a hotel, it is a convivial house, where you come to feel unique. The mansion offers 27 rooms tastefully decorated in a simple and elegant style, with a customizable lighting system designed to match your mood.
All rooms boast breath-taking views of the city, as well as soothing decorations and chic décor. Everything at the Harmon is done to satisfy guests, whether in the rooms, bar, reception, or professional event space.
- To book, check prices or availability for Harmon House
12. YOOMA Urban Lodge – a colorful, kitsch, and fun party hotel to stay in Brussels
This comic strip hotel is located between Grand-Place and Brussels Midi, meaning guests can relax knowing they are in the heart of it all! 2, 4, 5 and 6 person rooms are on offer amongst its 60 accommodations, which are all part of a complete ecosystem centred around Franco-Belgian comics.
All of the rooms boast a flat-screen TV with satellite channels, a seating area with design furniture, and queen size bedding. Belgian specialties and healthy menu choices are available at the bar for lunch and dinner, whilst a wholesome breakfast buffet is served each morning.
To top it all off, there is also a lounge with terrace and a cocktail bar!
- To book, check prices or availability for YOOMA Urban Lodge
13. Hygge Hotel – a uniquely designed hotel that is within walking distance from the European Parliament
Here we have a hotel which takes the word ‘unique’ to new heights. Hygge (pronounced ‘Hoo-Ga’) creates a universe that is fully conducive to total relaxation and well-being.
This notion is expressed by the many creations of young Scandinavian designers. The hotel is the perfect blend of simplicity and quality, creating a cosy atmosphere which makes you forget you are even at a hotel.
The hotel’s ethos, which favours togetherness, relaxation, indulgence, presence, and comfort, boils down to the pursuit of everyday happiness that defines modern Scandinavian design.
The hotel is about enjoying the simple things in life, and appreciating minimalism and functionality, a trend which emerged in the Nordic countries in the 1950s;
- To book, check prices or availability for Hygge Hotel
14. Zoom Hotel – an ultra-hip design hotel that features an industrial vintage style
Exceptionally situated in the upper part of the city by Avenue Louise, yet in a quaint, quiet area, the Zoom Hotel boasts 37 industrially-styled boutique rooms, based conceptually on participative photography.
Each room has a unique photo of Brussels taken by a Belgian artist, and ephemeral exhibitions of photo studios are organized regularly.
The lobby provides guests with a gourmet breakfast in the morning, and from noon to midnight, the terrace bar features a wide array of delicious snacks, natural wine, and Belgian craft beers. Parking is available on-site which can be a total life-saver when it comes to visiting one of Europe’s most celebrated cities. Simply park up and explore!
- To book, check prices or availability for Zoom Hotel
15. Boutique Hotel Saint-Géry – a trendy boutique hotel that blends comfort with a warmth atmosphere
For those who love art, music, and good wine, a totally encapsulating experience is on offer at the Saint-Géry. For the atmosphere of luxury in a trendy, cosy and welcoming setting, this hotel features a truly exclusive vibe.
In the typical charm of 19th century manors, all of the rooms here are decorated by different artists, with unique themes to surprise everyone. The trendy ground-floor bar ‘de Belmonte’ welcomes guests for breakfasts and quality burgers, as well as a bustling night scene.
Not only is the hotel on the doorstep of the trendy shopping area of Rue Antoine Danseart, the Grand Place, the Bourse, and the well-known Place Sainte-Catherine are only a few steps away.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boutique Hotel Saint-Géry
16. Aloft Brussels Schuman – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Brussel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Whether in Brussels for work or play, this hotel has a prime location in the heart of the European quarter, with all the key EU institutions within walking distance.
Guests can mix and mingle over live music, unmissable events, with a signature cocktail in hand at the W XYZ Bar, which is a no-walls, no limits space with a very special buzz.
Visitors can then stay and play in a spacious loft-inspired room which boasts ultra-comfy signature beds, spa showers, and tech-savvy features like a 47 inch LCD Flat-screen TV with cable programming and a Plug n’ Play docking station. Snacks and meals are available in the remix lounge, where something interesting is always on display.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Brussels Schuman
17. Vintage Hotel Brussels – a quirky-chic hotel housed in a redbrick townhouse
The Vintage Hotel, housed in a beautiful red brick building, is all about proposing a unique experience to its guests, who mostly sleep in a famous caravan designed by the American Wally Byan.
The building dates back to the early 20th century, with the typical Brussels architecture, yet welcomes guests with many modern embellishments such as a sunny patio-terrace, and an award-winning glamping experience.
The Vintage Airstream Room has been fully renovated with high-quality furnishings, a plasma screen, and comfortable sleeping amenities. The hotel enjoys an exceptional location at the top of the town, only 50 metres from the trendy Avenue Louise, and 20 minutes on foot from the heart of Brussels.
- To book, check prices or availability for Vintage Hotel Brussels
18. Le Berger Hotel – a charming historic hotel perfect for a romantic stay
Le Berger is a modern day haven, with a futuristic uproar which shares a nod do the past. Located less than a kilometre from the Chronologically organized Magritte Art Museum, and on the doorstep of many of Brussels’ attractions, this hotel is widely acclaimed by its visitors, who like to use this spot for their regular Brussels city break.
A buffet breakfast is served in the restaurant, and guests can unwind and embrace the ambiance of Brussels in the à la carte restaurant onsite. B34 Steak & Burger House is only 250 metres away, if American and international dishes are on your list.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Berger Hotel
19. Hotel Sablon – a chic, trendy and high-end modern boutique hotel that offers scenic city views
A unique setting in the heart of Brussels, 9Hotel Salbon is faithful to a contemporary and timeless design. The hotel shakes up all the codes of the traditional hotel industry, with an air of artistic inspiration.
The hotel’s elegant charm is the work of the studio Castel Veciana Arquitecture, where from the façade a mark of opulence and simplicity radiates.
The 34 rooms are fitted out like pretty white cocoons, and embellished with touches of warm colours. Hailed as one of the best hotels in Brussels, the hotel shares a mark of gratitude to its originally-appointed guestrooms, and coloured, antique, custom-made furniture.
- To book, check prices or availability for 9Hotel Salbon
20. Hotel Manos Premier – a historic-chic luxury hotel that features Louis XV and Louis XVI period furniture
This hotel is potentially Brussels’ best kept secret. It displays tremendous character and charm, through its magnificent, grand décor.
At the hotel’s Korla restaurant, guests may sample delicious cuisine under a splendid glass canopy, overlooking the garden and surrounded by dull velvets and mirrors.
The graceful rooms flaunt a décor with an individual touch, and resemble furnishings typical of the era of Louis XV and Louis XVI. Guests can enjoy a jacuzzi, steam and sauna session, or ask to be arranged an appointment with a masseur/masseuse. Permeating this opulent hotel are materials and fabrics which are inviting to the touch, and pleasing to the eye.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Manos Premier
We also have posts on..
- Cool boutique hotels in Paris
- Cool boutique hotels in Amsterdam
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
- Cool boutique hotels in Munich
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool boutique hotels in Prague
- Cool boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool boutique hotels in Nice
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rotterdam
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Val d’Isere
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Venice
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Courchevel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lyon
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Krakow
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cologne
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Zurich
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bruges
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hamburg
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam