Pristine beaches, rainforest hinterland, and a creative hip community blend to form the nature lover’s paradise of Byron Bay. This much-loved balmy sun-kissed town has long been a popular watering hole for backpackers journeying up the New South Wales coast, and its innate positive energy has recently become a magnet for a diverse wellness scene.
The Byron vibe transcends through a world-class hospitality experience, where hosts are on a quest to guide visitors to a state of laid-back serenity. From zen-like, rainforest boutiques to stunning oceanfront resorts, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Byron Bay (in no particular order)…
1. Azabu Retreat & Spa – a trendy, Instagrammable, unique and Japanese-inspired accommodation where guests can experience a rejuvenating stay
A dash of indulgence embellishes this idyllic, romantic retreat, which is set a world away from the stresses of city life in a breathtaking slice of east coast hinterland.
Azabu Retreat & Spa is elevated above the ancient hoop-pine forest, offering you total tranquillity as you wander through the resort’s native, soothing gardens.
One of Byron Bay’s most unique getaways, this oriental-style property incorporates stunning architectural designs, with ancient Japanese Shoji screens inspiring the King- and Queen-sized rooms.
French doors open out onto a private balcony with stunning forest views reflecting the zen-like ambiance, while the exclusive spa experience and yoga platform provide an optimum space to surrender to the serenity of this boutique environment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Azabu Retreat & Spa
2. The Villas of Byron – a 5-star, trendy and lavish accommodation featuring a private pool, hot tub and on-site chef
Inviting guests to revel in their own private oasis, The Villas of Byron are set against a backdrop of lush coastal rainforest and are designed as exclusive compounds evoking a sense of intimacy.
Exquisite attention to detail permeates all of the resort’s facilities, from the private internal courtyard with mineral pools, plush textured furnishings around the property, and the waterfall and heated spa area.
The villas offer an unparalleled guest experience through signature pamper packages and romantic villa styling. Candle-lit dinners are served by a personal chef, while picnic hampers can be prepared to let guests relish the surrounding environment on a peaceful lunchtime stroll.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Villas of Byron
3. Crystalbrook Byron – a vibrant, upscale and elegant resort surrounded by 45 acres of breathtaking sub-tropical rainforest
Arriving at Crystalbrook Byron feels like entering an alternate reality, surrounded by 45 acres of sub-tropical rainforest with Bangalow Palms and paperbark.
Ninety varieties of birdlife and wallabies have their habitats on the resort’s lush grounds, and clusters of suites are dotted around the property, with boardwalk strolls taking you to the communal spaces.
Evoking a feel of a south-east Asian resort, the on-site Forest restaurant overlooks the 25-metre infinity pool backdropped by rainforest, and merges with the veranda area of the lounge suites.
This breathtaking resort is the perfect spot to kick back on a daybed surrounded by bush, and peace out to a harmonious cacophony of kookaburras laughing against the roar of Tallow Beach.
- To book, check prices or availability for Crystalbrook Byron
4. Cape Beach House – a bright, trendy and modern accommodation ideal for a relaxing beach vacation
Recently renovated to offer the luxuries of a hotel but the comfort and intimacy of a home, this family-operated boutique guesthouse is the ultimate escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Guaranteed to put you in a serene state of mind as you enjoy the charming vibes of one of Australia’s most unique towns, Cape Beach House invites you to wake to the sound of the rolling waves from one of four individually designed suites.
These luxurious accommodations come with designer ensuites and natural bathroom products, while natural timber floors and high-vaulted ceilings ooze a modern, spacious feel.
A light, in-room complimentary breakfast is served each morning.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cape Beach House
5. Aloha Byron Bay – a beautiful, contemporary and upscale accommodation that is the perfect stay for a memorable North Coast getaway
Surrounded by lush tropical gardens, the Aloha grounds boast a saltwater pool and sunny terrace, just a 10 minutes walk from Byron Bay Beach.
Each villa radiates a contemporary, boutique feel, while a kitchenette with a microwave, refrigerator, and a toaster contribute to the sense of comfort.
Guests can enjoy free use of bodyboards, surfboards, and a fully equipped communal kitchen, to prepare themselves for a scintillating day of activity amid Byron Bay’s world-famous adventure scene.
A stay at Aloha will be defined by breathtaking bushwalks in the hinterland rainforest, awesome coastal trails, and marine life-spotting, before returning to a private haven where you can kick back in style.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloha Byron Bay
6. Eco Beach Resort – a beach-chic, modern and stylish accommodation located in the heart of Byron Bay’s nightlife, perfect for hip Millennials and Gen Zs
Eco Beach Resort is the perfect base to enjoy all the fun attractions on offer in one of Australia’s most illustrious holiday destinations, yet is far removed from the busy heart to offer a sense of tranquillity and escape.
The charming ambiance invites you to laze around secluded grounds with a central swimming pool, a spa, and a barbeque area.
Eco Beach features modern décor and open plan designs, as well as a casual style which extends into its wide selection of studio rooms and suites. All boast a private balcony or patio, as well as wide-screen LCD TVs, a kitchenette, and tea and coffee-making facilities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Eco Beach Resort
7. 28 Degrees Byron Bay – Adults Only – an upscale, stylish boutique accommodation offering guests a complimentary mini-bar and delicious breakfast
Byron’s fun-loving, salty-hair vibe is combined with low-key luxury and a homely feel at this eco-conscious, family-run guesthouse.
A tinkling fountain and cascading white bougainvillea set the scene for your all-organic, barefoot vacation, and the laid-back ambiance extends into the stylish rooms through their natural white design and crisp cotton bedding.
White-themed beach photos and tree-trunk bedside tables are further examples of the hotel’s impeccable attention to detail. A nod to the prime, natural location of Byron Bay, most products are locally and responsibly sourced, from the recycled-oak floors to the organic breakfast bites.
Situated conveniently for everything Byron Bay has to offer, 28 Degrees is cloaked in a canopy of tropical greenery just a few minutes stroll from the boutiques, bars, and cafés of downtown.
- To book, check prices or availability for 28 Degrees Byron Bay – Adults Only
8. Victoria’s At Ewingsdale – a chic European-inspired and Instagrammable boutique accommodation where guests can enjoy scrumptious high tea whilst overlooking Byron Bay
A unique expression of five-star luxury is ever-present at Victoria’s At Ewingsdale, a property inspired by Tuscan & French colonial architecture.
The acclaimed boutique charm, coupled with intuitive service, makes Victoria’s a truly special place of pampered serenity and refined glamour. Housed in a stately country manor situated on 4 acres of manicured gardens, spectacular ocean and mountains views coalesce into one majestic backdrop.
Elegantly furnished guestrooms, an open log fireplace, and a landscaped saltwater pool further add to the opulent charm. Most guestrooms boast a spa bath, and on-site dining options include sumptuous champagne breakfasts served in the lavish wine cellar.
- To book, check prices or availability for Victoria’s At Ewingsdale
9. The Bower Byron Bay – an urban, upscale and hip accommodation that blends Byron Bay’s elegance with a New York style, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
A boho-glam renovation has given this 1970s home a new lease of life, and its sleek designer suites stand amid clusters of soaring palms.
Inspired by a blend of Byron Bay’s beach-chic lifestyle and New York’s urban-boutique hotel scene, this design-led property features individual touches to its rooms.
Crisp blacks and whites balance out the natural fabrics and potted greenery, and the décor is dominated by local products.
The white-tiled bathrooms feature rectangular sinks and gold-tinged antique-style taps, while bath products by The Aromatherapy Co. provide an organic essence to the overall experience.
Guests can enjoy a gourmet breakfast, as well as lunch and dinner hampers to set them up for a memorable dining experience in a lush, boutique setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Bower Byron Bay
10. Waves Byron Bay – a bright, modern and hip accommodation located in the heart of Byron Bay near several bars and restaurants
Waves is renowned for having a friendly, boutique ambiance which emanates into its well-appointed guestrooms.
A high standard of amenities complements the stylish furnishings in the 20 rooms, where glimpses to the bay, spacious living areas, and private balconies combine to form an exceptional hospitality experience.
All include Plasma TV’s, a stereo system, a mini bar, and tea and coffee making facilities. Located only seconds from Main Beach and a two-minute walk to the vibrant nightlife of Byron Bay, Waves is the perfect spot to relax and rejuvenate whilst indulging in social vigour.
Secure undercover basement parking is an additional feature, which can be a lifesaver when staying close to a major tourist hub.
- To book, check prices or availability for Waves Byron Bay
11. The Beach Shack Byron Bay – a new, stylish boutique accommodation located moments away from Belongil Beach
Idyllically situated 3 minutes walk from the awe-inspiring Belongil Beach, and just 7 minutes from the eclectic town centre, these exclusive beach shacks boast all the hallmarks of modern luxury.
Each shack has its own unique character, so you can choose to have your own garden space to sit and read, or a private sunbathing deck. All feature limited edition artwork and beautifully restored solid timber furniture, and have access to a stunning sandstone-edged pool which is heated by a solar power system.
This pool is girdled by an expansive natural timber deck topped with comfy beanbags, a few steps away from the thoughtfully positioned poolside breakfast bars.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Beach Shack Byron Bay
12. A PERFECT STAY – Julian Rocks House – pet-friendly, hip and cool accommodation ideal for a family beach vacation
The rear yard at Julian Rocks House is framed by beautiful gardens and trees, with a real timber deck adorned with sun loungers providing the ultimate rejuvenation spot.
The interior is both modern and spacious, with lots of natural light beaming through, and a coastal luxe theme is captured through timber floors and whitewashed furniture.
The full-size kitchen boasts stainless steel appliances, as well as a gas cooktop and a Nespresso coffee machine.
Soft linens, raw fibres, and modern artwork complete the four bedrooms, and the rattan daybed-style sofa in the sitting room exude comfort and elegance. A unique facet of this property is its outdoor shower, which is nestled within a peaceful bush setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for A PERFECT STAY – Julian Rocks House
13. The Lord Byron – modern, chic and unique accommodation offering guests complimentary bikes and surfboards
At The Lord Byron, sun-drenched days and blissful nights are never far away. The tropical setting of the resort shines a radiant glow on your New South Wales vacation, and the property’s stupendous location in the heart of Byron Bay offers the best of both worlds.
Home to thirty rooms and three fully furnished apartments, a stay here invites you to dive right into holiday mode, courtesy of the divine swimming pool with stunning wraparound decking.
From waking up to the serene sounds of waves crashing into shore, to the glow of a golden hour spent chilling by the pool, The Lord Byron sets the scene for a memorable vacation.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Lord Byron
14. Barbara’s Guesthouse – a charming, contemporary and adults-only accommodation in close proximity to local attractions
Lovingly styled and renovated over a number of years, Barbara’s original glory has beautifully blended with up-to-date features to develop a top reputation as a relaxing retreat in a homely environment.
Situated in a leafy residential street, comfort and class are predominant features of the guesthouse’s ambiance, and guests can make use of quaint outdoor areas to sit back and soak up the tropical charm.
The guesthouse boasts a unique array of accommodation types, ranging from a modern, self-contained studio loft to large bedroom suites, to a main house which boasts lush lounging areas and its very own garden swing.
- To book, check prices or availability for Barbara’s Guesthouse
15. Bayhaven Lodge – a chic, contemporary and charming accommodation located next to Bryon’s most famous surf break ‘The Wreck’
Built in the 1930s as a whaler’s cottage, this recently restored lodge is home to tremendous history and charm, and prides itself on a personable approach to hospitality.
The utmost care and thought are carried into the on-site facilities and guestrooms to ensure an unforgettable and relaxing stay.
Bayhaven Lodge features a Balinese-style garden with a BBQ and sun loungers, as well as a communal kitchen and a shared lounge where guests can share stories at the end of an awe-inspiring day.
The guestrooms boast modern interiors with an eclectic range of local artwork, as well as dimmable lighting and remote-control ceiling fans.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bayhaven Lodge
16. Satara Byron Bay – a newly renovated, chic and bright accommodation with a beautiful backdrop of the rainforest
Byron Bay’s renowned chic coastal lifestyle is exuded beautifully in this unassuming hideaway, which is girdled by tropical rainforest.
Set on 5 acres of lush grounds, natural beauty and calmness emanate through this gorgeous boutique resort. Each suite is individually styled with high-end furnishings, and boasts a marble-floored bathroom and private terrace.
The resort’s 15-metre swimming pool is backdropped by the soaring trees of the rainforest, and offers the perfect spot for an early morning swim, afternoon cocktail, and a rejuvenating day on one of the comfortable sun loungers.
Endless dining and shopping options await you in downtown Byron Bay, which can be reached by a short meander down the graceful pedestrian streets.
- To book, check prices or availability for Satara Byron Bay
17. Aabi’s at Byron – an adults-only, trendy boutique accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Boasting an enviable location among tropical gardens, this secret hideaway evokes a boutique approach to resort-style living, steeped in tranquillity and open-air comfort.
Aabi’s palm-fringed saltwater pool is a delightful serenade to your coastal vacation, inviting you to submit to the calming, tropical rhythms of Byron Bay.
The signature king rooms offer a laid-back island-inspired ambiance, designed with your personal space and comfort in mind.
A blissful night’s sleep amid fresh interiors and plush linens will set you up perfectly for a day of adventures, and the private balconies are the ultimate spot to soak up the peaceful surroundings.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aabi’s at Byron
18. Gecko Shed – a bohemian-style, cozy and rustic-chic accommodation that is one of the best stays for a romantic break
This private detached house offers stunning views of Tallow Creek and the surrounding rainforest.
Boasting a rounded patio area with comfy seating beside an expansive garden, you can cook up your own delights on a private barbeque whilst savouring the serene bush setting beneath an enormous horizontal palm.
A vibrant lighting system surrounds the property’s exterior, adding an ambient tone to your evening relaxation. The air-conditioned studio is equipped with Byron Bay plunger coffee and an assortment of teas, while guests can also enjoy a free Sanctum Organic Spa amenities pack.
A spacious interior of soft tones and comfy sofas provides a peaceful spot of respite, in this stunning property which rests a 5-minute walk from a handful of trendy boutiques and shops.
- To book, check prices or availability for Gecko Shed
19. Shambhala @ Byron – a unique, tranquil and pet-friendly accommodation providing guests with spectacular views of the ocean
An exclusive enclave of Belongil Beach holds Byron Bay’s best-kept secret for those seeking uniqueness, indulgence, and ambiance.
Elevated within a pristine rainforest setting, this spectacular oasis is thoughtfully named after a word in Buddhism which means ‘pure land’. Part of the hotel’s mystique is that it is difficult to find, however once guests discover this secluded property, they are greeted by a wow factor, courtesy of magnificent temple doors and statues.
A beautifully shaped Brazilian amethyst captivates guests upon entrance, and makes them aware of the healing and protective qualities of Byron Bay’s alternative culture.
Strolling through the property, stunning water features catch your eye and calm the senses, while the private cottages float within a canopy of trees and offer a sanctuary designed to rejuvenate the mind, body, and soul.
- To book, check prices or availability for Shambhala @ Byron
20. Byron Springs – a newly renovated, cozy and cute accommodation that is a short walk away from Tallows beach through sand dunes
This beach-style B&B sports a modern look, and a refined casual atmosphere amid a lush, tropical garden. Elegant appointing of bright furniture ooze a relaxed, minimalist feel, beautifully contrasted by a grand dark-wood spiral staircase which leads to the spacious landing.
Sparse splashes of quirky artwork and a graceful dining area compliment the chic ambiance, conjuring a positive environment to enjoy your delicious continental breakfast, served each morning.
Six en-suite rooms feature at Byron Springs guesthouse, as well as a 10m magna therapy pool, and an expansive lounge and deck area. A 10-minute stroll through the Arakwal National Park will take you to the gorgeous Tea Tree Lake and Tallows Beach.
- To book, check prices or availability for Byron Springs
We also have posts on…
- Cool and trendy hotels in The Gold Coast
- Cool and trendy hotels in Brisbane
- Cool and trendy hotels in Sydney
- Cool and trendy hotels in Melbourne
- Cool and trendy hotels in Perth
- Cool and trendy hotels in Adelaide
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Canberra
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Noosa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cairns
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Broome
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bondi
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Blue Mountains
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Darwin
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hobart
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Port Douglas
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Fremantle
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.