Owing to its powdery white-sand beaches, vibrant coral reefs, and gorgeous turquoise seas, Cancún is one of Central America’s most popular resort areas, and is nestled on Mexico’s Yucatán peninsula.
The original downtown area with bustling markets and authentic neighbourhoods is contrasted by the Zona Hotelera (hotel zone), which caters to holidaymakers with modern shopping malls, myriad eateries, and a fabulous nightlife. All in the stunning backdrop of the Caribbean sea!
Cancún’s vibrant hotel scene features peaceful jungle-style boutiques and vivacious, sky-scraping all-inclusive resorts, and everything in between. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Cancún (in no particular order)...
1. Temptation Cancun Resort – All Inclusive – Adults Only – a trendy, unique and Insta-worthy resort perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Brace yourself for a heightened sense of luxury at this one-of-a-kind playground, where an adult-centric, all-inclusive setting offers a dreamy sense of freedom and an unparalleled coastal atmosphere.
The 428 designer guestrooms have been carefully created to complement a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the free-spirited traveller, where vivacious wall decorations and charming terraces offer a new level of fun.
Temptation Resort provides the perfect platform to meet new friends and catch up with the old, as you socialize day and night at the exclusively themed events around the resort, from the vibrant pool area to the upbeat party zone ‘Bash’.
- To book, check prices or availability for Temptation Cancun Resort – All Inclusive – Adults Only
2. Planet Hollywood Cancun, An Autograph Collection All-Inclusive Resort – a themed, unique and fun resort offering guests a one-of-a-kind stay
Situated on the gorgeous white-sand beachfront of Costa Mujeres, this classy all-inclusive offers a fabulous platform to dive into the glamour of Cancún.
Once you check in, you can simply relax in a poolside cabana as the charming staff bring you gourmet bites and chilled drinks, before heading up to your blissful sanctuary.
The 648 opulent suites invite you to live like a celeb, with stylish design, rain showers, and optional swim-out pools at your disposal.
Savour signature libations and crave-worthy flavours from around the planet at the 11 onsite eateries and bars, where you can experience a mouth-watering experience created by talented chefs and mixologists.
- To book, check prices or availability for Planet Hollywood Cancun, An Autograph Collection All-Inclusive Resort
3. The Tower by Temptation Cancun Resort – All Inclusive – Adults Only – a vibrant, cool and party resort filled with lively entertainment and themed nights
This seven-story structure has changed the landscape of Cancun’s hotel zone, offering a place where an eclectic night scene, themed dining experiences, and ocean adventures coalesce into one memorable hospitality experience.
Designed by world-renowned visionary Karim Rashid, the cool accommodation options inspire you to lose yourself in an explosion of bright colours, smooth textures, and erotic abstract art.
Here, you can kickstart your Cancún vacation by sitting on your spacious balcony as you feel the warm Caribbean breeze while admiring a breathtaking sunset.
As the day fades into night, you can step out of your comfy haven and immediately enter into a world of music, excitement, and activity, still within the confines of this glamorous resort.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Tower by Temptation Cancun Resort – All Inclusive – Adults Only
4. TRS Coral Hotel – Adults Only – All Inclusive – a unique, modern and eco-friendly hotel ideal for those seeking a relaxing vacation
Welcoming guests to a unique sense of coastal chic, TRS Coral Hotel is blissfully located on the sandy shores of Costa Mujeres. Exclusively designed for adults seeking a romantic retreat, and friends’ groups seeking an entertaining getaway, the 5-star treatment and state-of-the-art amenities provide a heavenly Caribbean experience.
The ultra-modern architectural aesthetic reflects the forward-thinking design, while the lush palm-lined walkways add a touch of nature. Each of the elegant suites boast a spacious balcony or furnished terrace, with some offering direct access to swim-up pools.
On-site, guests can benefit from the tennis training program at the Rafa Nadal Tennis Centre, before heading to the nearby, pristine shores of Costa Mujeres to cruise the seas by catamaran.
- To book, check prices or availability for TRS Coral Hotel – Adults Only – All Inclusive
5. Breathless Cancun Soul Resort & Spa – Adults Only – All Inclusive – one of the most stylish resorts in Cancun where guests can enjoy a trendy, chic and elegant stay
Committed to redefining and elevating the all-inclusive experience, Breathless Cancún invites you to revel in a cosmopolitan vibe, as you live and breathe the soul of Mexico.
Dressed in sleek décor with neutral accents, the 429 suites offer the social traveller a sophisticated haven to relish a luxe downtown atmosphere, topped with opulent beach and skyline views.
Thriving on good beats and on-trend fashion, Breathless invites you to curate your own vacation style with a mix of entertainment and relaxation offerings.
To wind down, you can channel your inner zen as you rejuvenate in the private yoga room or in the state-of-the-art wellness centre.
- To book, check prices or availability for Breathless Cancun Soul Resort & Spa – Adults Only – All Inclusive
6. Royalton CHIC Cancun, An Autograph Collection All-Inclusive Resort – Adults Only – a stylish, contemporary and upscale resort where guests can experience daily roof top pool parties
Royalton CHIC invites you to vibe in the glimmering heart of downtown Cancún, as you take in the Caribbean’s most mesmerizing sunsets.
458 contemporary suites offer a supreme haven to recharge and revel in luxury, alongside indulgent details which include Royalton Signature rain showers, and oversize satellite TVs. Before retreating to your peaceful sanctuary, you can delight your senses in the upscale restaurants and bars as you feast on tantalizing, distinctive cuisine from around the world.
Guests can enjoy complimentary access to the Level 18 Rooftop Cabana Lounge, a prime hotspot for relaxed entertainment which often features live music, as well as weekly themed pool and beach parties.
- To book, check prices or availability for Royalton CHIC Cancun, An Autograph Collection All-Inclusive Resort – Adults Only
7. Coral Level at Iberostar Selection Cancun – a new, modern and chic hotel steps away from popular local attractions
This chic hotel serves up a slice of Caribbean splendour with a stunning location on the sparkling-white sandy shores. Geared towards adults, the secluded property offers modern accommodations decked out with luxurious amenities, including all-suite accommodations which feature private balconies, Jacuzzis, and spectacular ocean views.
Coral Level invites you to spend your days on a lavish Bali bed by the private beach area, or soak up the sun poolside with a crafted cocktail in hand.
If you fancy an underwater adventure, the hotel boasts its own PADI-certified dive centre, and for those who want to try something unique, wine-tasting and mixology classes are also offered.
- To book, check prices or availability for Coral Level at Iberostar Selection Cancun
8. Hotel NYX Cancun – an elegant, stylish and family-friendly hotel featuring an infinity pool overlooking the ocean
Immerse yourself in the magic of Cancún at this paradisiacal hotel, where a stunning variety of services and facilities has been carefully designed to enhance a sense of enjoyment and recreation.
The guestrooms vary from standard rooms to master suites, and all feature awe-inspiring sea views and family-friendly amenities. The magnificent infinity pool and bar offers a blissful spot of coastal respite, and features a comfortable solarium to add a touch of relaxation to your vibrant Cancún vacation.
Furthermore, a private stretch of shoreline invites you to lay down on the white sand, as you soak up the cham of the turquoise ocean.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel NYX Cancun
9. Hard Rock Hotel Cancun – All Inclusive – a hip, themed and party resort perfect for lively Millennials and Gen Zs
VIP glamour and rocker glitz combine to fuel a fabulous experience at Hard Rock Cancún, a beachfront celebrity playground reflecting a refined Mexican style.
Offering a stunning spot for people who want to break free and have a little fun, this eclectic hotel is dotted with nostalgia, from music memorabilia to stage costumes.
Intense blues create a rock star-like ambiance in every room, which is beautifully contrasted by breath-taking views of the Caribbean sea. In addition, a diverse range of offerings adds a creative flair to your stay.
You can order a guitar to your room, form a rock band and perform with your friends at the Music Lab, or swim up to the bar in a huge infinity pool to savour a hand-crafted cocktail.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hard Rock Hotel Cancun – All Inclusive
10. Aloft Cancun – a funky, creative and hip hotel providing guests with panoramic views of the ocean
Catering to the younger generation of travelers, Aloft is a modern sanctuary where style meets substance, and partying is an ever-present feature.
A stunning open bar with ‘Happy 12 Hours’, a 24-hour gourmet pantry, and a scenic rooftop pool add a unique twist on your typical hospitality experience.
The guestrooms exude a sense of urban style, with beach colours complementing the stunning ocean and lagoon views, topped with plush beds and state-of-the-art amenities.
The lobby lounge area doubles as a hangout space and live music venue, offering live shows throughout the week where guests can enjoy a lively, sophisticated atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Cancun
11. SLS Cancun Hotel & Spa – a sleek, hip boutique hotel with a beach front location and upscale wellness area
This beachfront sanctuary invites you to experience a stunning poolside scene, indulge in a luxurious spa day, and revel in international cuisine.
Modern, sleek lines ornate the sparkling guestrooms and residences, which boast breathtaking views of the azure waters of the ocean. The on-site Argentinian grill, LEYNIA by Chef Jose Icardi, melds the rustic allure of open-flame cooking, treating guests to a memorable dining experience.
The sumptuous array of amenities on offer at SLS brings resort-style living to a trendy boutique atmosphere, notable in the Ciel Spa, where enhancing physical well-being and recharging the inner spirit go hand in hand.
- To book, check prices or availability for SLS Cancun Hotel & Spa
12. Oleo Cancun Playa Boutique All Inclusive Resort – a contemporary, upscale and coastal-chic resort offering guests a personalised concierge service
Exquisitely designed based on the beauty of the beachfront, this graceful boutique resort embellishes a minimalist style of luxury with splashes of chic coastal flair to create the kind of space you may never want to leave.
However, when you do take a step outside, you will be greeted by a blissful coalescence of tropical breezes, white sands, and Caribbean charm. Oleo Cancun Playa offers a fresh, new perspective for your Cancún vacation, with thoughtful arrival touches including a welcome cocktail, a hand massage, and delicious small bites.
Blessed with an avant-garde design, guests are surrounded by a sensorial, artistic environment as they rest in their stylish rooms, which echo the vibrancy and excitement of the Caribbean’s most iconic destination.
- To book, check prices or availability for Oleo Cancun Playa Boutique All Inclusive Resort
13. Grand Hotel Cancun – Managed by Kempinski – a stylish, upscale and elegant hotel where guests can enjoy the luxury of a private beach
Nestled on a powdery white-sand beach surrounded by infinite views of the turquoise sea, Grand Hotel Cancún offers the idyllic hospitality experience for all types of traveller.
Whether you are in search of archaeological treasures, white sand beaches, underwater exploration, or vibrant nightlife, this 5-star luxury hotel resides at the centre of it all. Inviting you to explore the ocean via catamaran ride or with a swim among whale sharks and coral formations, a stay here is a true escape to premier luxury.
After tucking into delicious cuisine nuanced with the definitive flavours of Mexico, relax amid refined décor in one of the 363 graceful rooms and suites, which boast marble-clad bathrooms and exquisite private balconies.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel Cancun – Managed by Kempinski
14. Kabah Boutique Hotel – an urban, contemporary and quiet hotel in close proximity to interesting dining
This elegant downtown gem is rooted in a contemporary urban design, evoking a sense of modern luxury through stylish appointings and opulent décor.
A lavish rooftop hot tub and sun terrace offer stunning views over Cancún’s lush environs, while the guestrooms feature a moody lighting scheme to balance the lightly coloured plush bedding arrangements.
All boutique rooms are equipped with a desk, a balcony with city views, and a flat-screen TV, offering premium accessories to complement a blissful night’s sleep.
Kabah Boutique Hotel is situated just in front of Kabah Urban Park, where you can engage in outdoor activities such as hiking, cycling, and running.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kabah Boutique Hotel
15. Selina Cancun Downtown – a cool, creative and Instagrammable accommodation perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Here we have a popular haven for nomads, travellers, and group explorers in pursuit of a peaceful reprieve, where connection and storytelling is etched into the property’s very fabric.
Redefining what it means to work and travel, Selina Cancún is a colourful and vibrant place to stay, where each visual frame is filled with artisan décor and crafty paintings.
A unique experience is on offer in the hotel’s trendy communal areas, which include an epic restaurant and bar, where travellers pop in to immerse themselves in nature-inspired serenity and artful vigour.
Conveniently located in the centre of Cancún’s main thoroughfare, a short walk from Selina will take you to the bus station, a supermarket, and a bank.
- To book, check prices or availability for Selina Cancun Downtown
16. Nomads Enigmatic Hotel, Hostel & Restaurant Bar – a rustic-chic, trendy boutique accommodation with an on-site tattoo shop and boutique
Taking the pace of life down a notch is this cool spot of paradise, rooted in a cosy vibrancy that adds a colourful flair to your Cancún vacation.
The 40 thoughtfully appointed guestrooms boast a relaxed jungle vibe, evident through the hanging mosquito nets and potted plants.
This essence radiates into the communal areas, which are the ideal respite spots for digital nomads and explorers willing to share their experiences with others. Free access is granted to a stunning rooftop pool at a sister property 5 minutes’ walk away, while a tattoo parlour, restaurant, bar, and boutique coffee shop provide additional conveniences.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nomads Enigmatic Hotel, Hostel & Restaurant Bar
17. Casa Kin33 – a cozy, quirky and serene accommodation surrounded by nature in the Cancun jungle
Wonderful and cosy, this private jungle property is dressed in a typical Mexican style, and embellished with quirky wall art. Every element at Casa Kin33 has been thoughtfully appointed to greet guests with a rainforest-inspired flair, from plant-themed décor to relaxing hammocks, to colourful bedding.
A beautifully manicured garden allows you to retreat to a jungle way of life, and evokes a secluded feel through towering palm trees, naturally nestling a lush, sky-blue swimming pool.
The bedrooms gather around this beautiful outdoor space, and feature large windows allowing the natural light to beam through. A delicious breakfast of organic produce is served each morning, enhanced with fresh fruits and homemade bread.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Kin33
18. The Quetzal – a quirky, vibrant and lively accommodation featuring an outdoor pool and rooftop terrace
Boasting the inviting atmosphere of an intimate boutique hotel, The Quetzal offers a quirky twist on your Cancún vacation, ornated with chess-tiled floors, arched doorways, and a colourful interior.
A small but character-filled outdoor area features a pristine swimming pool, girdled by towering trees and comfortable seating areas.
A shared lounge, garden, and terrace area offer peaceful spaces to kick back and share stories with like-minded travellers, while the dining room serves a delicious à la carte breakfast each morning.
A well-appointed bathroom with shower features in every unit, along with complimentary bathrobes, slippers, and tech-savvy amenity offerings.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Quetzal
19. Bed and Breakfast Pecarí – a cozy, petite and charming accommodation located in Downtown Cancun
Offering a homely, friendly atmosphere to complement your idyllic Cancún holiday, this delightful Bed and Breakfast is dotted with convenient chill-out areas, and poolside lounge spots shaded by palms.
A step inside the property takes you into a world of old-fashioned elegance, where plush seating areas and marble-top furniture add a lavish touch to contrast the traditional ambiance.
An ideal spot for travellers in pursuit of comfort, cleanliness, and a personalized service, this opulent family home offers a daily breakfast, as well as expert guidance on memorable Cancún adventures.
Bed and Breakfast Pecarí is conveniently situated only a kilometre from the Bus Station, bringing all of Cancún’s gems to your fingertips.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bed and Breakfast Pecarí
20. Casa Tortugas Boutique Hotel – a Mexican-inspired, charming and petite accommodation ideal for a couple’s romantic getaway
Originally built as a family home, this charming boutique showcases the artistic spirit of Colonial Mexico, and shares a nod to its beautiful culture and traditions.
A tasteful, authentic alternative to the mega-resorts in the area, a stay at Casa Tortugas feels like stepping into the beautiful home of a friendly local, and is catered to the environmentally conscious traveller.
This property, fronted by a peach-tone exterior, is orientated towards the Nichupte Lagoon, and offers one of Cancun’s most captivating sunsets.
Upon entrance, your eyes will be drawn to the unique hip details, where beautifully patterned tiles line the floor and walls, and the pool is shaded by swaying palms in a manicured lawn area amidst loungers, hammocks, and a small palapa.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Tortugas Boutique Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool and trendy hotels in Bermuda
- Cool and trendy hotels in The Bahamas
- Cool and trendy hotels in Miami
- Cool and trendy hotels in Jamaica
- Cool and trendy hotels in Barbados
- Cool and trendy hotels in The Maldives
- Cool and trendy hotels in Maui
- Cool and Unusual hotels in US Virgin Islands
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Aruba
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Playa del Carmen
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Isla Mujeres
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tulum
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Isla Holbox
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mexico City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Goa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Puerto Rico
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Costa Rica
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Belize
- Cool and Unusual hotels in the British Virgin Islands
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Panama City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Buenos Aires
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cartagena
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tijuana
Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Michael has always been a sucker for an adventure. Growing up he was lucky enough to live in a handful of exotic far flung locations including Hong Kong, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania and since then he’s continued his taste for seeking out new cultures. So much in fact he now travels the world as a trading digital nomad, exploring everything from the sizzling street markets in Bangkok to random back alleys in Sri Lanka and everything in between! He also has a special fondness for Cohibas, street food, playing carrom, and fine wine and knows his clarets from his chiantis. He counts Cuba, Amsterdam, Indonesia, Cambodia and Italy as his favourite destinations.