One of the most cherished beauty spots in the US, Cape Cod – a hook-shaped peninsula in Massachusetts – has a quaint upscale charm all of its own. Filled with gorgeous sandy beaches, sparkling ocean waves, easy-on-the-eye villages, and lighthouses, visitors and vacationers can’t get enough of this place, especially during the summer.
Head to Cape Cod Bay for family-friendly calm waters, to Falmouth or Wellfleet for after-sunset parties and Provincetown if you’re art lovers, whale-watchers or seeking LGBT-friendly spots. Now you just need to find somewhere to stay equally as special, so from intimate boutiques to modern resorts, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Cape Cod, Massachusetts (in no particular order)…
1. AWOL Hotel – easily one of the coolest inns to stay in Cape Cod perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Overlooking the beach, this Provincetown luxury hotel is the essence of Cape Cod distilled into one perfect modern hotel experience. Rooms offer contemporary style, with large windows and magnificent views creating light, welcoming spaces that bring the outdoors inside to enjoy.
The distinct lack of a nautical theme is definitely a sign this is a Cape Cod hotel that does things a bit differently, and from the rooms to the breakfasts, everything is more relaxed, a little less formal and a lot more chilled.
Bikes are available to help you explore, while a concierge service helps you make the most of your time in the area. A quirky hotel that does things differently.
- To book, check prices or availability for Awol Hotel
2. The Waterford Inn – a cute and trendy place to stay in Cape Cod that features a seasonal rooftop terrace with breathtaking views of the harbour
Sitting in the Gallery District, home to so much history, great restaurants and more, The Waterford Inn is a historic hotel created within an 1850’s Sea Captain’s mansion.
While you never forget you are in a traditional, historic property, the accommodation has a contemporary style, with spacious and comfortable rooms that are a great place to relax at the end of the day.
Food is excellent too, taken care of by Spindler’s Restaurant, which offers French fusion cuisine using fresh local ingredients. The highlight though is the service, wonderful people who are on a mission to make your stay the best it can possibly be. A fantastic place to enjoy your Cape Cod visit.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Waterford Inn
3. Coonamessett Inn – a contemporary, cozy and Instagrammeble boutique inn close to amazing activities for all
Enjoy the luxurious setting of a modern hotel with the traditional hospitality and attitude of the authentic Cape experience at this wonderful inn.
Rooms are elegant, with contemporary style and the modern amenities you expect, all giving bright, airy accommodation that area pleasure to experience.
Eli’s Tavern is the in-house eatery, offering a modern take on traditional New England fare in a casual dining environment. Spectacular gardens offer a lovely place to just soak in the atmosphere, creating a truly relaxing luxury hotel experience that you will love.
- To book, check prices or availability for Coonamessett Inn
4. Frederick William House – a charming and chic upscale boutique hotel located in a pretty area surrounded by nature
A boutique hotel at the heart of Cape Cod, with the perfect location for exploring everything this wonderful region has to offer. Rooms and suites all have their own look and feel, from elegant contemporary to period luxury.
Sitting right on the Shining Sea Bikeway, this luxury hotel is a paradise for bicyclists, with free bikes available so you can explore the beautiful surroundings of Cape Cod at your leisure.
The Dining Room provides sumptuous breakfast options, and other restaurants are within easy reach. If you want to enjoy Cape Cod at your own pace, this traditional hotel is a great choice.
- To book, check prices or availability for Frederick William House
5. AutoCamp Cape Cod – a unique, cool and hip accommodation ideal for the ultimate glamping experience
Just 5 minutes from the beach, with direct access to the Shining Sea Bikeway and just a short walk from Downtown, with its restaurants and attractions, Autocamp is a themed hotel that gives you stunning suites in Airstream vans, spacious glamping in tents and cabins.
The unique accommodation is comfortable and bright, nestled among the greenery to create a haven of tranquillity.
Each suite includes a firepit and grill top for outdoor eating at your own pace, with a general store on site for supplies. If you prefer others to do the cooking, there is an onsite restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner options.
- To book, check prices or availability for AutoCamp Cape Cod
6. Foxberry Inn – a romantic inn that is within walking distance from the beach
A contemporary hotel with bright, elegant rooms that include refrigerators, free wi-fi and coffee maker, Foxberry Inn offers a warm welcome, fantastic service and a comfortable stay.
Situated in the historic West End with its stunning gardens, galleries, restaurants and vibrant nightlife, with the beach always in easy reach.
A full breakfast is provided, and it’s a treat to start your day with, while the patio and garden area offers a private and relaxing way to watch the stars at night or enjoy a break during the day. Service is always exceptional, and with its relaxing vibe, this is a modern hotel perfect for your next trip to Cape Cod.
- To book, check prices or availability for Foxberry Inn
7. Inn at Cook Street – a historic boutique-style inn that offers modern amenities with classic comforts
An award-winning hotel in the heart of Provincetown, Inn at Cook Street has been awarded Best Inn/Bed & Breakfast on Cape Cod, multiple years running by Cape Cod Life magazine, and it is easy to see why.
A boutique hotel with just 8 guest rooms, each with its own style and feel, the inn blends contemporary style and traditional luxury with superb service for comfortable, relaxing accommodation.
Breakfasts are fantastic, while the location near the East End district puts you within easy reach of the galleries and restaurants as well as attractions like the beach. A wonderful, modern hotel with classic hospitality, this is Cape Cod at its best.
- To book, check prices or availability for Inn at Cook Street
8. Breakwater Hotel – a charming and cool beachfront hotel that welcomes pets
A waterfront hotel in Provincetown, this cool hotel blends elegant, contemporary design with a nautical theme that matches the location to provide spacious and welcoming accommodation within steps of that fabulous beach.
Glass panel doors bring that stunning view into your room, and with a wealth of touches such as mini fridge, free wi-fi, safe and a range of personal care products in every room, you feel at home as soon as you arrive.
Outdoor patio areas include grills for your own barbeque, with outdoor seating available for every room. A fitness center is available if you can’t find enough exercise on the beach, and you are never far from the restaurants, shops and attractions of Downtown Provincetown. A cool beachside paradise!
- To book, check prices or availability for Breakwater Hotel
9. The Club at New Seabury – a cool and leading private golf community that provides spectacular views of the iconic Nantucket Sound
An exclusive hotel in the stunning setting of a Private Golf Community, staying at The Club means embracing the seaside lifestyle.
Overlooking its own private beach to the front, and with the lush greenery of two championship golf courses behind, it’s a wonderful place to stay.
A modern luxury hotel with a nautical theme, accommodation is superb, while with 5 restaurants offer eating to suit any taste. The tennis courts, beach cabana and a range of water sports, as well as a fitness center and biking options, ensure that you will never be bored at The Club.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Club at New Seabury
10. Crowne Pointe Historic Inn – one of the most Insta-worthy hotels in Cape Cod
A historic hotel estate in the fantastic Downtown area of Provincetown, it offers relaxing accommodation and spa to help you unwind and recharge while enjoying a glimpse into the majesty and beauty of this wonderful location.
Travelers have been enjoying the hospitality of the inn for more than a 100 years, and rooms offer modern luxury hotel comfort. This is a hotel that is for adults only though, so not one for families.
A full-service spa is great for a bit of self-indulgence, and The Pointe Restaurant offers a wonderful dining experience with locally sourced ingredients. It’s a stunning place to stay, combining history and hospitality for all.
- To book, check prices or availability for Crowne Pointe Historic Inn
11. Dan’l Webster Inn and Spa – a quirky-chic hotel that offers uniquely decorated rooms and great relaxing facilities
A historic hotel that has been providing comfortable accommodation for travelers for more than 300 years, it sits at the heart of the oldest town in Cape Cod, Sandwich.
The 48 rooms available from this boutique hotel all have their own character, with period style and modern luxury combining to create comfortable, relaxing accommodation.
Period pieces, 4-poster and canopy beds, open fireplaces and more remind you of the history all around you, and that continues with the amenities. A choice of 4 dining rooms gives you options, casual or fine dining, the choice is always yours.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dan’l Webster Inn and Spa
12. Surfside Hotel and Suites – a trendy modern hotel that provides private beach access and an outdoor heated pool
An Insta-worthy hotel sitting right on the beach, whether it’s the perfect shot of the golden sunset or selfies with a backdrop of the beautiful ocean, Surfside Hotel has it all.
Bold, contemporary design offers luxurious comfort, with stunning views across the ocean and balconies in many rooms.
2 restaurants give choice for dining, and you are never far from the many dining options around Provincetown too, while a heated pool and that immaculate private beach give you plenty to keep you occupied every day. For beach lovers and those who dream of the water, this is a fantastic place to stay.
- To book, check prices or availability for Surfside Hotel and Suites
13. Hyannis Plaza Hotel – a modern and fun hotel that is steps away from the best restaurants in the area
Just a short walk from Downtown Hyannis and all the shops, restaurants and attractions, this is a luxury hotel that offers sumptuous accommodation with a contemporary design that features warm colors and natural woods.
Period pieces highlight the history of the region giving each room its own character.
A large outdoor pool and seating area is great for enjoying the sun, while the on-site restaurant offers superb Caribbean cuisine, with freshly sourced local ingredients. Enjoy the beach and more in this wonderful historic town, and then relax in comfort in your own private paradise every evening.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hyannis Plaza Hotel
14. Kingfisher Oceanside – a cute beachfront motel that features a picnic area for guests
Sitting on Sea Street Beach in Dennis Port, this is a contemporary hotel that blends style and comfort with the highest standards of service to provide the ultimate in beachside accommodation.
With 16 welcoming rooms, this boutique hotel allows you to wake up, eat breakfast and take a few steps to the beach, it’s the perfect way to spend a summer’s day.
With restaurants and attractions nearby beach chairs for hire and attentive service, Kingfisher is the ideal Cape Cod destination for those who love the beach and everything it has to offer.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kingfisher Oceanside
15. Captain’s House Inn – the perfect place for a romantic getaway that features beautiful garden views
A beautiful, romantic hotel sitting in 2 acres of its own glorious grounds, Captain’s House Inn is a wonderful getaway to relax and indulge yourselves.
This Chatham-based boutique hotel has wonderful English Gardens that offer quiet spots where you can just sit and enjoy the nature around you, while day trips to the sights of Cape Cod offer exploration and fun in equal measure.
The rooms are magnificent, featuring an 1839-built Greek-style mansion, a 200-year-old cottage and the newly converted stables. Rooms offer period style and impressive comfort; it always feels special staying here.
Gourmet breakfasts start the day perfectly too, completing the romantic Cape Cod hotel experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for Captain’s House Inn
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Martha’s Vineyard
- Cool boutique hotels in Boston
- Cool boutique hotels in Portland, Maine
- Cool boutique hotels in New York
- Cool boutique hotels in Philidelphia
- Cool boutique hotels in Montreal
- Cool boutique hotels in The Finger Lakes
- Cool boutique hotels in Brooklyn
- Cool boutique hotels in Buffalo
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Placid
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Newport RI
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Nantucket
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bar Harbor
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cape May
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Montauk
- Cool boutique hotels in Albany
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Camden ME
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Winnipesaukee
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Woodstock VT
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kennebunkport
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Provincetown
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Providence
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.