Chamonix, the beautiful commune in the shadow of the breathtaking Mont-Blanc, is an international hub renowned for its year-round alpine activities. Since hosting the first winter Olympic Games in 1924, the town has soared in popularity and has become a mecca for skiers from all over the world.
Chamonix is the perfect base camp to explore the Aiguille du Midi, the Mer de Glace, and the Brévent mountain, surrounded by immaculate landscapes, before diving into an abundant scene of charming restaurants, bars, and cafés.
Nothing reflects Chamonix’s iridescent charm more than its eclectic array of hotels, which range from majestic alpine boutiques to grand heritage buildings. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Chamonix, France (in no particular order)…
1. Alpina Eclectic Hotel – a unique, hip and very Instagrammable mountain hotel where guests can appreciate majestic views of the Mont Blanc
Standing elegantly in the centre of Chamonix, Alpina is a resort brimming with mystique and fascination, and is a great meeting place for mountain lovers.
Welcoming you to the heart of the Alps with an eclectic restaurant, a tranquil spa, 2 bars, and a ski shop, this is the perfect choice for a luxury alpine getaway.
Inside the contemporary architecture you will find clean lines, modern natural materials, and a playful blend of contrasting colours, which complement a stunning set of designer furniture.
A chic, relaxed spirit permeates the property, subtly combining urban and mountain styles to form a unique, harmonic ensemble. The restaurant boasts 180° views of Mont-Blanc and offers a warm atmosphere for lunches, brunches, and dinners.
- To book, check prices or availability for Alpina Eclectic Hotel
2. Plan B Hotel – Living Chamonix – a chic, upbeat and quirky-chic boutique hotel close to local attractions
Infiltrating the Chamonix hospitality circuit with a fresh lifestyle concept, Plan B Hotel is centred around a large living space of over 700 square metres, where you will find an expansive bar, a stunning restaurant, and a kids’ corner.
The accommodation options range from dorm rooms to 2-bedroom apartments, catering to the solo traveller, couples, families, and groups of friends.
You can treat your tastebuds to local and continental dishes at the hotel’s brasserie, or the bar which serves many classic light bite dishes. To relax, you can take advantage of the 2 bowling lanes, or indulge in a pampering experience at the spa.
- To book, check prices or availability for Plan B Hotel – Living Chamonix
3. Le Hameau Albert 1er – a trendy and fun place to stay in Chamonix perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Family-operated since 1903, Le Hameau welcomes you to an incarnation of the ‘Art de Vivre’ in the heart the mountains.
This prestigious haven proposes a getaway of refined tranquillity, with luxury rooms teeming with alpine character. Thoughtfully curated colours, decorative objects, and molten glass are unique to each room, while a piece of original folk-art furniture sets the tone for a traditional mountain stay.
Here, you can choose between a Michelin star restaurant which is an epicurean journey of discovery, or a traditional restaurant which offers cuisine from a bygone era in a meticulously crafted setting.
Also on offer is the jazzy QuartzBar, which features a unique, sophisticated ambiance and serves a fine selection of wines, cocktails, and refined liqueurs.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Hameau Albert 1er
4. Le Cristal de Jade – a cool and trendy resort with rustic chic decor housed in a cosy wood-panelled building
This prestigious vacation rental lies at the foot of the Aiguille du Midi cable car, with convenient access to the centre of the village.
Inviting you to immerse in a world of well-being, Le Cristal de Jade leverages on its elegant architecture and its refinement in decoration to provide an unequalled experience, topped with an exquisite quality of service. You can benefit from a 100 m² wellness centre which is bedecked with an infinity pool, a sauna, a hammam, and a jacuzzi.
The apartments boast private balconies or terraces, and combine the authenticity of natural materials with the intimacy of plush bedding to offer a night of serene respite.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Cristal de Jade
5. Heliopic Hotel & Spa – a polished design hotel that offers a Turkish steam bath, ice cave and indoor swimming pool
Blissfully located at the foot of Mont-Blanc, Heliopic Hotel & Spa invites you to experience epic winter sports and summer activities from a sanctuary of refined opulence.
You can seek respite in a cosy cocoon dressed in warm woods, and watch an in-demand film owing to the free in-room VOD service.
The hotel offers several catering options to provide the fuel for an unforgettable day in the mountains, and a serene spa which invites you on a journey of the senses. The facilities include an ice cave, a whirlpool bath, a cold water well, a hammam, and a sauna, all conducive to a state of total relaxation.
- To book, check prices or availability for Heliopic Hotel & Spa
6. Chalet-Hôtel Hermitage – a chic, cosy and unique chalet-style hotel in Chamonix
Inspiring you to live to the rhythms of the mountains, this stunning home evokes a true passion for skiing in the warmth of a traditional chalet.
The property sports a mythical silhouette set majestically in the heart of Chamonix, and is surrounded by the lure of snow-capped peaks.
As you return from your adventures, you can treat yourself to the hotel’s Savoyard specialities, with homemade products sourced from the mountains.
The 19 guestrooms and 2 suites harmonize solid wood, stone, and wool, to provide a true cocooning experience in the effervescent backdrop of Mont-Blanc. The in-house wellness centre ‘The Alpine Garden’ is a true tribute to the jewels of nature, and offers treatments based on blissful mountain rituals.
- To book, check prices or availability for Chalet-Hôtel Hermitage
7. Excelsior Chamonix Hôtel & Spa – a charming, cool and upbeat place to stay in beautiful Chamonix
Revealing one of the most exclusive views of the range, this sparkling hotel has maintained a warm family tradition, and is perfect for those who want to kick back and enjoy the quietness of the mountains in a secluded haven.
The graceful guestrooms and suites are rooted in a feeling of understated elegance, and much like the rest of the hotel, frame epic views of the treasures which adorn Mont-Blanc.
The Pure Altitude Spa is the perfect spot to soothe and revive your soul, through a wellness ritual which incorporates various essential elements and herbal products in a dreamlike atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Excelsior Chamonix Hôtel & Spa
8. Hotel Le Morgane – a chic and relaxing boutique hotel that blends elegance and a modern setting
Prepare to be enchanted by the chic simplicity and the luxurious charm of this immaculate hotel, which echoes an ethos of discretion, dedication, and dependability through all of its undertakings.
You can find serenity in a holistic wellness ritual designed to nurture a harmony of mind, body, and soul at the Deep Nature spa, which is equipped with a pool, hot tub, sauna, and hammam.
The 56 guestrooms, elegantly decorated, offer balconies or terraces where you can relish uninterrupted views of either Mont-Blanc or Brévent.
The new restaurant, Le Comptoir Des Alpes, serves varied and subtle cuisine to delight the senses, taking inspiration from local produce and Italian specialities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Le Morgane
9. Langley Hotel Gustavia – a 19th-century historic hotel with modern decor set in the heart of Chamonix
The Scandinavian-owned Langley Hotel Gustavia is the archetype of sophisticated simplicity, and offers a cool, sporty atmosphere to complement your epic alpine getaway.
This charismatic hotel has been a home-from-home for skiers and hikers since the 1890’s, and over the years has nurtured a charming legacy in the centre of Chamonix.
The in-house brasserie & bar ‘Chambre Neuf’ is a very famous spot for après-ski gatherings, and serves a high-quality menu taking inspiration from well-known French and Scandi cuisines. The guestrooms come in different shapes and sizes, yet all enhance the bright and spacious feel with high-end, tech-savvy amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Langley Hotel Gustavia
10. Appart’Hotel Aiguille Verte & Spa – a cool and unusual aparthotel perfect for large groups or longer stays
Welcoming you to a modern alpine setting, The Aiguille Verte is the perfect spot to revitalize your spirit and soak up the emblematic charm of Chamonix.
The hotel constitutes a symbolic element of Chamonix’s architectural history, and is one of the most characteristic expressions of new art in the region. The contemporary, equipped apartments are replete with comforting amenities and unique vistas of the mountains of Haute-Savoie.
After an unforgettable day of the slopes, you can head to the jacuzzi and sauna where you will step into a paradisiacal world of peacefulness, before heading out to savour some of the region’s most favoured culinary offerings.
- To book, check prices or availability for Appart’Hotel Aiguille Verte & Spa
11. Hôtel les Grands Montets – a romantic and cosy rustic-chic chalet-style hotel perfect for a relaxing break
Combining soul-soaring mountain views with a prime location, this traditional alpine chic chalet boasts an eclectic array of stylish rooms which sport lavish wooden balconies, perfect for snuggling up after a day on the slopes.
The interior décor reflects the surrounding mountain charm, which extends to the 42 accommodations. The colour palettes harness earthy, natural hues with lots of reclaimed pine walls, timber ceilings, and rich fabrics to evoke a sophisticated, classy tone.
The indoor pool and gym are accessible all day long, and during the afternoon you can make use of the opulent spa which comes with a steam room, a sauna, and an outdoor hot tub with a Mont Blanc view.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel les Grands Montets
12. Pointe Isabelle – a stylish and funky pet-friendly hotel near major shops and restaurants
Inviting adventurers to a timeless refuge, Pointe Isabelle is based on the story of Isabella Straton, one of the pioneers of mountaineering.
A recent extension has seen a modern touch added to the traditional setting, with a gym area, a large ski room, and 9 indoor parking spaces adding extra convenience.
Backdropped by the breathtaking mountains, the guestrooms are decked out with contemporary trappings, and boast charming balconies with sweeping panoramas. Modern and old classics are served in the Bar & Bistro which offers a vibrant space to gather after a day of skiing, with both indoor and outdoor seating areas.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pointe Isabelle
13. Le Faucigny – Hotel de Charme – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Chamonix perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Bringing together mountain enthusiasts and shopaholics, Le Faucigny is idyllically located a stone’s throw from Chamonix’s bustling centre, and a sub-5-minute walk from the Savoy ski lift, accessible by shuttle.
The warm, Scandinavian-inspired décor reflects the soul of the property, blending with cosy fixtures to evoke a refined and convivial experience. Designed with comfort in mind, the 26 guestrooms are embellished with white brushed pine, fluffy mottled grey carpeting, and woollen cloth lampshades.
An intimate lounge area offers a charismatic space for adventurers to mingle, and features a fireplace beside which you can enjoy board game evenings, or lose yourself in a book from the hotel’s library.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Faucigny – Hotel de Charme
14. Auberge du Bois Prin – a charming and cosy chalet style hotel that offers a modern rustic vibe in a peaceful location
Built in 1976, a true journey of the senses awaits at this mythical boutique, which boasts 10 guestrooms designed in the purest Savoyard spirit.
All are clad in sumptuous wooden hues and enhanced with modern lighting systems, adding a contemporary flair to your Chamonix vacation.
After a day of alpine adventures, you can relax in the fitness area which is equipped with a sauna and a hot tub, or sit on your balcony and watch the sun set over the snow-capped peaks.
At the heart of Auberge du Bois Prin, the eclectic restaurant has been thoughtfully revived, and offers gourmet cuisine that reflects the creative charm of the surrounding area.
- To book, check prices or availability for Auberge du Bois Prin
15. Cosmiques Hotel – Centre Chamonix – a colourful, kitsch, and funky party hotel to stay in Chamonix
Inviting you to experience the vastness of the cosmos and the intimacy of a graceful boutique, Cosmiques Hotel is a colourful offering to the mountain enthusiast.
Standing the test of time since 1897, the hotel is infused with a spirit that embodies the rich Chamonix lifestyle, with every design detail derived from a unique story.
From classic rooms to mezzanine suites, the 17 accommodations are both minimalistic and functional, and are sprinkled with original photographs which capture the people, moments, and essence of this illustrious area.
Hidden within the basement is the subdued night bar, topped with expertly curated tunes and a hip ambiance to complement the comprehensive range of beverages on offer.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cosmiques Hotel – Centre Chamonix
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Méribel
- Cool boutique hotels in Tignes
- Cool boutique hotels in Courchevel
- Cool boutique hotels in Verbier
- Cool boutique hotels in Val d’Isere
- Cool boutique hotels in Kitzbuhel
- Cool boutique hotels in Mayrhofen
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Val Thorens
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Anton
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Grindelwald
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Les Portes du Soleil
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Megeve
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Geneva
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cannes
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/