Known as ‘The Southern Part of Heaven’, Chapel Hill is a stunning town in North Carolina with burgeoning art, dining, and shopping scenes. The awesome murals painted on buildings, European and Asian art exhibits housed in the Auckland Art Museum, and art festivals lining Franklin Street make Chapel Hill a true city of art.
The town is also home to the campus of the University of Carolina, the largest full-dome planetarium in the southeast, the Carolina Basketball Museum, the Carolina North Forest that provides opportunities for hiking and biking, the North Carolina Botanical Garden with themed gardens and nature trails, a plethora of wonderful farms, and over a hundred restaurants on Franklin Street alone.
Your days here will be full of adventure, exploration, and fun and you’ll need a comfy place to come back to at night. Luckily, Chapel Hill is brimming with designer boutique hotels, historic inns, and woodland cabins. Here are the top cool and unusual hotels in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (in no particular order)...
1. The Graduate Chapel Hill – a hip, fun and funky hotel with trendy interiors perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Opening onto a 3-story atrium, luxurious rooms at The Graduate Chapel Hill feature en suite bathrooms with organic toiletries, premium bedding, 37-inch flat-screen TVs, mini-fridges and freezers, surround stereos with iPod docks, and dark-wood furniture that gives a vintage feel. Suites come with larger TVs, separate living spaces, and balconies with downtown views.
Complimentary perks at Graduate Chapel Hill include parking and a local area shuttle. Guests also have access to a wood-paneled lounge/bar with a covered sidewalk cafe and a fireplace.
Address: 311 W Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Graduate Chapel Hill
2. AC Hotel by Marriott Chapel Hill Downtown – a funky, contemporary, industrial-chic hotel that is ideal for couples
A contemporary hotel set along Rosemary Street, about a mile from the University of North Carolina the AC Hotel by Marriot Chapel Hill Downtown is a great place to stay if you want easy access to downtown shopping and restaurants while enjoying upscale on-site amenities like a tapas bar, a spacious lobby, a patio with a fireplace, coin-operated laundry facilities, and a gym.
Stylish rooms at the 3-star hotel feature a minimalist interior and wood floors. Flat-screen TVs, complimentary Wi-Fi, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and seating areas are available in all units.
There’s a laid-back dining room where a breakfast buffet is served every morning for a fee.
Address: 214 W Rosemary St, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel by Marriot Chapel Hill Downtown
3. The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection – a beautiful, elegant hotel close to the centre of Chapel Hill with a restaurant, bar, and fitness centre
A classy, Italian-style hotel on east Franklin Street, about two miles from Auckland Art Museum and historic downtown, guests at The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection can sojourn in fancy rooms with marble bathrooms, designer toiletries, antique furnishings, and pillow-top mattresses.
All rooms are equipped with flat-screen TVs and complimentary Wi-Fi. Book a suite if you want ample seating space.
Freebies include an area shuttle and valet parking. The hotel also boasts an elegant, Italian restaurant serving risotto, gnocchi, pasta, and other classics from Rome and Florence. There’s also a chic bar, a fitness center, and a garden with a terrace.
Address: 1505 E Franklin St, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection
4. Rizzo Center, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel – a classic hotel with loads of trendy and unusual features in its modern interior
A sophisticated, boutique hotel offering a unique insight into North Carolina’s culture and natural beauty the Rizzo Center, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel is located less than a mile from the University of Carolina and a short drive from some of the city’s famous amusement parks.
Stylish rooms at the 4-star hotel boast natural colors and wooden furniture. Each room is outfitted with a flat-screen cable TV, a leather chair, an iPod dock, and a large or extra-large double bed.
From jogging trails to a fitness center to pool tables, the upscale hotel offers a range of on-site amenities.
Address: 150 DuBose House Lane, Chapel Hill, NC 27517, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Rizzo Center, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel
5. The Carolina Inn, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel – a gorgeous traditional-style hotel with quirky, colourful decor and a vintage vibe
The Carolina Inn, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel is a perfect place to stay for those who are visiting the city for its academic ambiance. The deluxe hotel on the University of California campus features refined rooms with vintage photos of the university.
Each room at this 4-star hotel has a flat-screen TV, a mini-fridge, an iPod dock, free Wi-Fi, and a 4-poster bed. The best part is that you can enjoy spa treatments in-room.
There’s so much you can do at and around this hotel, from exploring the campus to enjoying a mimosa at the on-site bar.
Address: 211 Pittsboro St, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Carolina Inn, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel
6. Sheraton Chapel Hill – a cool, contemporary hotel with a range of amenities that’s great for couples, Millenials, Gen-Zs, and friends’ holidays
About three miles from the buzzing Franklin Street, Sheraton Chapel Hill welcomes you to a high-end lodging experience amidst greenery.
Streamlined studios at the 3-star hotel come equipped with flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, coffee makers, mini-fridges, and desks with ergonomic chairs. Some rooms feature balconies, while suites offer separate living areas.
With a cocktail bar, a Southern restaurant, a seasonal outdoor pool, a business center, and 10 meeting rooms, Sheraton Chapel Hill is unarguably one of the best boutique hotels in Chapel Hill.
Address: One Europa Dr, Chapel Hill, NC 27517, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Sheraton Chapel Hill
7. Mid-Century Designer Home – a cool, modern holiday home boasting loads of Instagrammable features and a cosy, welcoming interior
A modern holiday home on Rock Creek Road, less than a mile from North Forest Hills Park and Pritchard Park. Located on the ground floor, this three-bedroom Mid-Century Designer Home features wood floors, floor-to-ceiling windows, and stylish furniture.
With an extra-large double bed in each room, the property can accommodate up to six people. There’s also a spacious living room with a flat-screen TV, a dining area with a fireplace, a well-equipped kitchen with yellow-colored cabinets, and a garden.
Address: 603 Rock Creek Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for this Mid-Century Designer Home
8. Art, Beauty, Nature: A Woodland Retreat – a quirky and unusual holiday cabin with a charming, understated atmosphere
A rustic property offering a peaceful retreat in the woods, Art, Beauty, Nature: A Woodland Retreat is located on Crawford Dairy Road, the holiday home is about 6 miles from Quailview Recreation Area.
With one bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchenette, and a patio, this woodland property should be the dream destination for couples visiting Chapel Hill.
Address: 1939 Crawford Dairy Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27516, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Art, Beauty, Nature: A Woodland Retreat
9. Storybook Farm Historic Cabin with Fire Pit! – a cozy wood cabin that is perfect for a romantic couples’ retreat or a fun-filled friends’ getaway
An artistic property located less than four miles from Mccauley Mountain, this Storybook Farm Historic Cabin with Fire Pit features three bedrooms, an airy living room with ample seating, an adjoining dining area, an immaculate kitchen, two bathrooms, and laundry facilities.
Surrounded by lush gardens, the property is ideal for a weekend getaway with the family. There’s also a courtyard with BBQ facilities and sun loungers. There are many great local and chain restaurants just a short drive from the property.
Address: Chapel Hill, 27516, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Storybook Farm Historic Cabin with Fire Pit!
10. Renovated Carrboro House with Deck and Fire Pit! – unique and modern holiday home with a bright, spacious interior and cool vibe
A lovely, three-bedroom home with a laid-back atmosphere and upscale amenities. You’ll instantly fall in love with the hardwood floor and bright interior of this Renovated Carrboro House with Deck and Fire Pit!
The blue-gray living room features plush seating and a smart TV. The minimalist style of bedrooms will make you feel at home.
There’s also a fully equipped kitchen, an adjoining dining area with seating for four, two bathrooms with plenty of closet space, a furnished deck, and a patio with outdoor chairs.
Address: Chapel Hill, 27516, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Renovated Carrboro House with Deck and Fire Pit!
We also have posts…
- Cool and unique hotels in Raleigh
- Cool and unique hotels in Winston-Salem
- Cool and unique hotels in Greenville
- Cool and unique hotels in New Bern
- Cool and unique hotels in Charlotte
- Cool and unique hotels in Jacksonville
- Cool and unique hotels in Nags Head
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.