Located by the banks of the Tennessee river, with the Appalachian mountains and the Cumberland Plateau for a backdrop, you’ll find the scenic city of Chattanooga, rated by Lonely Planet as the “Best in the U.S.” and “10 U.S. destinations you need to see.”
From its secret foodie scene to its beautiful hiking trails, there are plenty of reasons to visit Chattanooga. Discover the Chattanooga Choo Choo, marvel at the views from Lookout Mountain, stroll along the river walk, explore the North Shore foodie district with its trendy craft breweries and distilleries, catch some cool music, and check out the city’s Civil War and railroad history.
The hip city is also an emerging tech and sustainability hub, which means that you’ll also have a great choice of unique places to stay. From quirky-chic boutiques to sleek and modern, here are the best cool and unusual hotels like these ones in Chattanooga, Tennessee (in no particular order)…
1. Moxy Chattanooga Downtown – an ultra-hip design hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
This very cool and hip hotel is anything but average. Made for the young at heart, the stylish, chic ambiance can be felt upon arrival, where guests will be presented with a complimentary signature cocktail.
The funky hotel perfect for partying subscribes to an ‘it’s 5 o’clock somewhere’ philosophy, and thus invites guests to daily themed events, as well as drinks in the lobby and outdoor patio, or for a game of foosball.
The Chattanooga flare extends to all of the elegantly designed rooms, which come equipped with glass-enclosed showers and lavish bath amenities.
Located in the heart of downtown, the guests are never more than a stone’s throw away from local restaurants, live music, laugh-out-loud comedy, and exquisite galleries.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy Chattanooga Downtown
2. Bode Chattanooga – a funky, cool and unique loft-style hybrid hotel ideal for large groups
Here we have a vintage remix of the historic Clemon’s building, boasting vibrant communal spaces and an artisanal market.
Bode is based in the heart of downtown Chattanooga, offering immersion into the city’s unique culture and innovation districts.
At this stylish, modern hotel, natural climbing and hiking wonders, live music and barbeque spots, and many museums and parks, are all placed very close to the hotel, giving guests the chance to create memorable stories and connect to the city’s rich history and budding future.
The hotel has 54 units on-site for overnight accommodations, which all come equipped with full kitchens and living rooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bode Chattanooga
3. The Dwell Hotel, a Member of Design Hotels – a unique, artistic and stylish boutique hotel housed in a charming historical building
One of the best hotels in Chattanooga here high class meets high comfort, and lively meets luxury at the Dwell hotel, which features an innovative blend of 50s, 60s, and 70s pieces, alongside industrial elements that share a nod to Chattanooga’s industrial heritage.
The outcome is a glamorous, artful sensibility with an alluringly retro décor, and redefined hospitality. The 16 reimagined guestrooms all contain vintage furniture, backdropped by vibrant wallpaper, and unique, contemporary embellishments to add a fresh feeling to your Chattanooga stay.
This adult-only hotel, constructed in 1909, also features a trendy bar ‘Night Pearl’, which serves fine wines, craft beers, and tiki cocktails.
The wonderful location of the Dwell means guests are never more than a few steps from many restaurants and shopping destinations to keep them busy.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Dwell Hotel, a Member of Design Hotels
4. Kinley Chattanooga Southside, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel – a contemporary and very Instagrammable industrial-chic place to stay in Chattanooga
This charming boutique hotel provides the perfect home base for adventures great and small, situated perfectly by the thriving art, culture and entertainment scene of the Southside of downtown Chattanooga.
The city’s premier attractions are easily explorable, and the lobby bar transforms from a chill daytime coffee spot to a lavish evening cocktail haven.
The main gem of this Tribute Portfolio Hotel is its hidden speakeasy, which offers specialty drinks and dishes. Guests may relax and replenish in style, with the custom-designed Kinley mattresses which feature in all guestrooms.
The hotel boasts strong Wi-Fi throughout, catering to the traveller who must remain engaged with work matters whilst soaking in the lush surroundings of glorious Chattanooga.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kinley Chattanooga Southside, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
5. The Westin Chattanooga – a sleek, sexy and modern high rise hotel in Chattanooga offering the best views
This luxuriously-appointed cool hotel is an acclaimed urban retreat in the heart of downtown Chattanooga.
The Westin Chattanooga offers 259 rooms and suites with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking gorgeous mountain and downtown views, plush heavenly beds, a tiled walk-in shower, and opportunities to book an in-room massage.
After a day spent hiking amidst the breath-taking TN scenery, or along the 13-mile riverwalk, the hotel’s rooftop restaurant and bar, Alchemy, awaits guests with an extensive list of speciality drinks.
Furthermore, over 15,000 square feet of versatile indoor event space provides guests with copious options for hosting a special event, owing to the hotel’s grandeur.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Chattanooga
6. Chattanooga Choo Choo – a trendy, hip and iconic hotel that is one of the top downtown Chattanooga destinations
The Choo Choo is a former mainline railway station, which maintains a glittering aesthetic pointing towards the period looks and charm of its early 20th-century hey-day, with an arched lobby and original chandeliers.
However, with quirky bars added, as well as an eclectic array of restaurants, the hotel has seen a rather impressive conversion into a 145-room, lovingly refurbished hotel.
The Choo Choo sits 1.5 miles south of Chattanooga’s city centre, and right next to the south terminus of the free shuttle bus service. This 16-acre property’s Beaux-Arts style is certainly an attraction in its own right.
- To book, check prices or availability for Chattanooga Choo Choo
7. Hotel Indigo Chattanooga – Downtown, an IHG Hotel – a vibrant, kitsch, and fun party hotel to stay in Chattanooga
Offering a cosy respite for locals and visitors alike, this glorious downtown hotel takes passion for the outdoors as seriously as leisure time.
The hotel is as individual as its surroundings, and is also a reflection of them, providing a refreshing atmosphere across its 117 commodious, modern rooms and suites.
Over 5000 square feet of flexible indoor/outdoor event space at the property provides ample areas to accommodate special occasions, as well as an airy restaurant patio with an assortment of local craft beers and small plates.
Hotel Indigo Chattanooga lives and breathes the IHG vision, sparked by a strong community ethic, authentic local experiences, and an intimate service.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Chattanooga – Downtown, an IHG Hotel
8. The Edwin Hotel, Autograph Collection – a luxury and unique place to stay perfect for art lovers and urban explorers
The prime waterfront location which defines this brand of unparalleled luxury means access to the city’s finest attractions is made easy. However, for those who simply want to kick back and relax, the Edwin Hotel offers a world of its own.
With signature treatment at the full-service hotel spa, a rooftop plunge pool, and awe-inspiring views of the Tennessee river on offer, the hotel genuinely provides the perfect backdrop to your vacation.
The hotel’s restaurant ‘Whitebird’ features a boutique twist on Southern cuisine, using only ingredients from the Chattanooga area.
The imaginative hotel staff have combed the city to find local artists who best encapsulate the colourful history and southern eclectic flare of Chattanooga, with imaginative, curated art collections adorning the hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Edwin Hotel, Autograph Collection
9. The Read House – this opulent boutique hotel is one of the best hotels in Chattanooga
It is impossible not to be dazzled by this historic boutique Chattanooga hotel, which harkens to the 1920s with a Georgian-style splendour of soaring lobby ceilings, dramatic chandeliers, and wood-clad walls polished to a high shine.
This is combined with a top-to-bottom $25 million renovation catering to modern tastes.
The hotel boasts 241 guestrooms all in the seductive style of the roaring jazz-era, as well as a lush lounge area and exquisite indoor pool.
Legend has it that room 311 is haunted by the spirit of Annalisa Netherly, supposedly beheaded by a jealous lover in the bathtub, and leaving behind a paranormal wariness attracting spine-tingling tours from around the world.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Read House
10. The Chattanoogan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton – a charming and modern hotel that offers picturesque mountain views
Located along Broad Street in the popular Southside district, this modern, 4-star hotel features regionally inspired food, crafted beverages, local coffee, and contemporary cuisine across its varied eateries and coffee areas.
The spa features a private couples treatment room, with a huge range of body, nail, and skincare treatments on offer, utilizing eco-friendly natural services and ‘Dazzle Dry’ nail products.
The southside of Chattanooga is a hotspot for entertainment, arts, culture, and nightlife, with public art sprinkled around the main street.
A stay at this extravagant property will certainly provide the calm and comfort needed from a well-needed vacation, and besides the pedestrian-filled downtown area, just a short journey would take you to the many scenic spots which characterise this gorgeous town.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Chattanoogan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
11. RiverView Inn – a cute, cozy and romantic inn close to great attractions
Nestled on the side of Lookout Mountain, this gorgeous boutique hotel offers an intimate, private setting matched only by its phenomenal views and lavish amenities.
Built in 1935 as Sky Harbour Court, its recent renovations have preserved its old charm and history, while refreshing the guest spaces with gentrified bathrooms and updated furnishings.
The hotel is conveniently located a few minutes from world-famous Rock City Gardens, the Incline Railway, and Ruby Falls.
Guests are presented, at the RiverView Inn, with the chance to connect with nature, and to allow the enchantment of the surrounding landscape to transport them back to a simpler time of a bye-gone era.
- To book, check prices or availability for RiverView Inn
12. Aloft Chattanooga Hamilton Place – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Chattanooga perfect for fun-loving Millennials and Gen Zs
The ultimate blend of substance and style is evident at this hotel, which caters to the modern jet-setting traveller who craves a lively social scene at an affordable price.
The vibrant settings of the loft-like guestrooms are incredibly alluring to those who want to have their senses stimulated, through plush platform beds, custom Aloft bath amenities, and walk-in showers.
Guests may transition between work and play with the tech-forward designs, which consist of ergonomic desks and flat-screen TVs.
The hotel’s rooftop bar provides many sought-after treats, including speciality cocktails and a small plates menu, and the whole experience is often topped off with live music.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Chattanooga Hamilton Place
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Atlanta
- Cool boutique hotels in Birmingham
- Cool boutique hotels in Nashville
- Cool boutique hotels in Louisville
- Cool boutique hotels in Memphis
- Cool boutique hotels in Savannah
- Cool boutique hotels in Myrtle Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Asheville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Knoxville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Pigeon Forge
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Lanier
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/