One of the most Instagrammable Italian destinations, Cinque Terre encompasses five centuries-old seaside villages on the crescent-shaped Ligurian Riviera coastline.
Monterosso al Mare sits high on a rocky promontory affording broad views of Monterosso Bay. Corniglia, the only harborless village, is home to the Gothic-style church of San Pietro dating from the 12th century. The most photogenic of the five villages, Manarola, is a perfect base for romantic getaways.
Each of the five picturesque towns of Cinque Terre offers unique accommodation options. From beachfront apartments to hillside hotels and boutique guest houses, here are my top cool and unusual hotels in Cinque Terre, Italy (in no particular order)...
1. The Poet Hotel – a cool ultra-hip design hotel close to amazing outdoor markets, trendy shops and major restaurants and bars
Staying true to its name, The Poet Hotel narrates the story of the historic travel that led to the discovery of the Ligurian territory. It peacefully sits on a narrow side street with the 14th-century San Giorgio Castle reachable within an 11-minute walk.
Aesthetically superior rooms at this 4-star hotel are designed to fulfill your dream of a magical stay full of luxuries. From private balconies to flat-panel TVs and mini-fridges, guests enjoy many amenities here.
Besides luxurious lodging, The Poet Hotel offers a swanky bar with workstations and a guest lounge.
Address: Via Roma, 139, 19122 La Spezia SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for The Poet Hotel
2. Hotel Porto Roca – a unique and tranquil upscale hotel that offers the ultimate Insta-worthy panoramic views
Perched on a serene hillside looking over the Ligurian Sea, Hotel Porto Roca takes Italian hospitality to another level with its top-drawer amenities and exceptional service.
No-frills rooms at this down-to-earth hotel include minibars, satellite TVs, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Upgraded rooms feature balconies with sea views, while suites are fitted with whirlpool tubs and/or sitting areas.
Guests enjoy an eclectic breakfast buffet on a furnished terrace with sea views or an old-world restaurant. The hotel also has a seasonal outdoor infinity pool, a sundeck, a wood-panelled bar with a stone fireplace, and a hot tub.
Address: Via Corone, 1, 19016 Monterosso al Mare SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Porto Roca
3. Grand Hotel Portovenere – a refined and polished hotel housed in a former Franciscan monastery that overlooks the beautiful Ligurian coast
Tucked between the Gulf of Poets and Cinque Terre, Grand Hotel Portovenere overlooks the exquisite Ligurian coast. It is set in a former Franciscan monastery with easy access to the Parco Naturale Regionale di Porto Venere, making it an ideal base for hikers and gourmands.
The moment I stepped into my room, I fell in love with the striking decor and vivid accents. Each brightly decorated room at this relaxed hotel comes with a flat-screen TV, a sitting area, a marble bathroom, and a minibar. Suites feature additional bedrooms and terraces under arches.
Enjoy Italian seafood at the onsite restaurant while revelling in stunning sea views, sip innovative cocktails at the hotel’s posh bar with high vaulted ceilings, and decompress at the in-house spa.
Address: Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 5, 19025 Portovenere SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel Portovenere
4. Cinqueterre Residence – a cute and charming aparthotel based in the enchanting village of Riomaggiore that offers panoramic views
Occupying a string of interconnected houses on a beautiful hillside, Cinqueterre Residence is a relaxed hotel within walking distance of Riomaggiore train station.
Airy rooms at this 4-star hotel boast distinctive themes and beamed ceilings. Amenities available in the room include minibars, whirlpool tubs, and satellite TVs. You’ll have to upgrade to a suite if you want access to a private kitchen.
The hotel’s sophisticated bar has an incredible selection of Italian wines. The rooftop terrace allows you to indulge in breathtaking sea views while soaking in the hot tub.
Address: Via de Battè, 67f, 19017 Riomaggiore SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for Cinqueterre Residence
5. Crêuza de Mä – a refined and relaxing boutique hotel that is within walking distance from the stunning Riomaggiore beach
With an ideal seafront location, plush accommodations, and cutting-edge facilities, Crêuza de Mä is perhaps the most idyllic retreat in all of Riomaggiore.
Stunning green landscapes greet you in the morning. All guest rooms at this gorgeous hotel offer mesmerizing views of the sea. Each room has a coffee machine, a flat-screen TV, and a free minibar. Free perks include bathrobes, toiletries, slippers, and beach towels.
Among the hotel’s many onsite facilities are a heated hot tub, two outdoor showers, four terraces, and a solarium.
Address: Via San Giacomo, 147, 19017 Riomaggiore SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for Crêuza de Mä
6. L’Opera Rooms & Suite – an elegant and romantic boutique guesthouse that is conveniently located in the La Spezia city centre
Dating from 1914, L’Opera Rooms & Suite puts on display a seamless blend of Italian history and present-day conveniences.
Guests lodge in air-conditioned rooms with coffee machines, minibars, safety deposit boxes, work desks, kettles, and flat-panel TVs. Select rooms also have a kitchen with all the necessary appliances.
The historic hotel lies within walking distance of some cool restaurants. However, I suggest that you try the Italian breakfast served at the hotel before dining out.
Many of Cinque Terre’s historical attractions are also within a 10-minute walk of the hotel, making it a perfect base for history buffs.
Address: Via Lazzaro Spallanzani, 19, 19122 La Spezia SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for L’Opera Rooms & Suite
7. The Sunset Line – a casual and modern guesthouse that offers the perfect setting for a romantic escape
As downhome as this guest house may look, The Sunset Line is equipped with every amenity to make your stay both luxurious and comfortable. It sits steps from Riomaggiore Beach and offers outstanding sea views.
Hardwood floors, beige walls, and sleek furnishings come together to impart a minimalist vibe to the guest rooms. Each room comes with a coffee machine, a work desk, a safety deposit box, a flat-panel TV, a minibar, and a terrace. A one-bedroom maisonette with an airy living area is also available. Shared amenities include a hot tub.
Address: Via Tracastello, 23, 19017 Riomaggiore SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for The Sunset Line
8. Amanarola – a laid-back and lavish property that provides rooms with balcony views and great amenities
This stylish guest house in Manarola is a perfect pick for vacationists who like aesthetically appealing surroundings. The property sits about a mile from Riomaggiore Beach with many gastronomic restaurants nearby.
Elegant furnishings, hardwood floors, and gray accents blend in with the white bright interiors of air-conditioned rooms at Amanarola.
All rooms have work desks, coffee machines, kettles, and flat-panel TVs, while select rooms come with fully equipped kitchens.
Address: Via Antonio Discovolo 148/B , 19017 Manarola, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for Amanarola
9. Hotel Al Terra Di Mare – a serene and eco-friendly family-run hotel embraced by nature and majestic vistas
Surrounded by pretty olive and pine trees, Hotel Al Terra Di Mare affords amazing views of the Ligurian Sea. Located two miles from Saint Andrew’s Church and Levanto beach, this family-run is a 2-minute drive from Levanto train station.
Snug rooms at this 4-star hotel are outfitted with flat-panel TVs, minibars, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Upgraded rooms feature balconies or sofa beds, while apartments come with full kitchens, living rooms, and terraces.
Guests also enjoy a bunch of freebies, including parking and a breakfast buffet. There’s also a tasteful bar with a terrace and a seasonal outdoor pool.
Address: Località Gallona, 19015 Levanto SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Al Terra Di Mare
10. La Vignana – 5 Terre – a sleek and intimate place to stay in Levanto that is based on a hill and it provides breathtaking views of the valley and the sea
Situated two miles from Levanto Beach, La Vignana offers lavish accommodation with a garden, a terrace, and a shared lounge.
Cozy rooms at this well-tended guest house feature work desks, minibars, safety deposit boxes, flat-panel TVs, and kettles.
A continental or Italian breakfast is served every morning in the communal lounge. You can also enjoy billiards onsite and hike nearby.
Address: Località Sorlana, sn, 19015 Levanto, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for La Vignana – 5 Terre
11. La Ripa Camere Vernazza – The Spinnaker Suite – an attractive and informal guesthouse that is the perfect getaway for guests looking for a tranquil urban escape
Offering a romantic retreat in Cinque Terre’s most colourful village, La Ripa Camere Vernazza is nothing short of heaven for honeymooners and couples. It sits just off the main street about eight miles from Saint George’s Castle.
From picturesque scenery to an idyllic atmosphere to deluxe lodging, the holiday home boasts everything to offer you an out-of-this-world experience. What will elevate your experience, even more, is the spacious terrace right above the azure waters of the Ligurian sea.
The one-bedroom apartment can sleep up to two guests and features a flat-panel TV, a double bed, a dining area, and a flat-panel TV.
Address: Via M. Carattino, 20, 19018 Vernazza SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for La Ripa Camere Vernazza – The Spinnaker Suite
12. Stellio Affittacamere – Guest House – a relaxed and homely guesthouse that features rooms with old-fashioned Ligurian decor
One of the best places to stay in Riomaggiore, Stellio Affittacamere offers two unique lodging options, namely a standard double room with a balcony and a double room with a side sea view.
Each type of accommodation offers upscale amenities, including spacious closets, private bathrooms with free toiletries, work desks, and flat-panel TVs.
The refined guest house is steps from Riomaggiore Beach with many amazing restaurants nearby.
Address: Via Antonio Gramsci, 64, 19017 Riomaggiore SP, Italy
- To book, check prices or availability for Stellio Affittacamere – Guest House
Scott Balaam – writer and photographer
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Australia, Ireland, UK and the USA but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting thirst for culture, good food and great football. In his spare time Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, the rest of Italy, Amsterdam, USA, Athens, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Find Scott on Linkedin, Instagram, or Twitter.