An urban oasis nestled in the middle of the world’s most stunning wilderness, Edmonton – the capital of Alberta – makes a fantastic stopover on the way to exploring famously beautiful national parks such as Jasper and Banff.
Stop here and find fine eateries (Edmonton has quite a booming culinary scene now), upscale boutique shops, great museums, small theaters, plenty of art galleries, a lively sports and entertainment scene and incredible festivals – Edmonton is home to an annual fringe festival second only to Edinburgh’s.
Head a little further out and nature lovers will adore the nearby Ukrainian Cultural Village, Elk Island National Park and plenty of scenic hiking trails. Its accommodation choices are pretty awesome too, from gorgeous intimate boutiques to trendy and modern, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada (in no particular order)…
1. Fantasyland Hotel – a truly unique hotel that features very Instagrammble themed exotic rooms
The Fantasyland Hotel lives up to its name by offering travelers a one-of-its-kind fantasy-themed experience. Nestled inside the West Edmonton Mall, this hotel is one of Canada’s best themed hotels with 355 Superior and Executive suites, and quirky fantasy rooms.
Guests adore staying in the fantasy-themed rooms, designed to transport the onlookers into a different era or region with unique décor and dramatic accents.
Guests also have access to an expansive conference room, a sprawling 25,000-square-feet space ideal for meetings, weddings and large gatherings.
The hotel’s on-site eatery, the L2 Grill is famous for curating local delicacies with fresh ingredients, while the L1 Lounge serves flavorful cocktails in an ambient setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for Fantasyland Hotel
2. Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel – a funky, modern and artistic hotel that offers top amenities and welcomes pets
The Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel is a 4-star establishment nestled in the southern section of the city, at a 15-minute drive from downtown Edmonton and the Edmonton International Airport.
The hotel is famous amongst business and private travelers, offering an array of modern amenities with premium guestrooms and suites.
The hotel offers an impressive environment, with an appealing indoor swimming pool, hot tub, state-of-the-art fitness studio, 24/7 business center and free WiFi.
Guests can dine at the on-site restaurant, the Chop Steakhouse & Bar, or head over to Bar One to enjoy a round of drinks with fellow travelers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel
3. Matrix Hotel – a cool and trendy hotel that provides modern accommodations in the heart of Edmonton
The Matrix Hotel is an ideal accommodation for travelers who want to enjoy ease of access to the city’s trendiest boutiques, cafes, art galleries, museums, restaurants and theaters.
Situated in the heart of Edmonton, the hip and cool hotels offers proximity to downtown attractions while business travelers will find themselves a stone’s throw away from the corporate district.
Matrix is popular for its excellence and courteous hospitality, for it has set a high standard with its friendly staff and diligent attention to detail. Guests can’t stop raving about the hotel’s generous and splendid breakfast spread, including home cooked eggs, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruits, pastries and oatmeal.
- To book, check prices or availability for Matrix Hotel
4. The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald – a gorgeous historic hotel with luxury opulent decor
The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald is one of the city’s most charming historic hotels, with a powerful legacy spanning over 100+ years of serving their affluent clientele a distinct taste of luxury.
Nestled in the heart of downtown, the Fairmont offers close proximity to the North Saskatchewan River Valley.
The beauty and charm of the Fairmont stem from its spectacular location, elegant interiors and the picturesque attractions that give the hotel rooms and suites sweeping views.
The hotel offers 198 beautifully designed rooms and specialty suites, dripping with timeless sophistication. Guests have access to a wide array of modern amenities and comforts, including concierge services, babysitting, and more.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
5. Ritchie B&B – a quirky-chic bed and breakfast close to great attractions
Ritchie B&B is one of the best places to stay in Southeast Edmonton, a neighborhood brimming with art, culture and entertainment.
This homely bread and breakfast is in proximity to some of the city’s best attractions, including the Edmonton City Center, Fort Edmonton Park and South Edmonton Common.
The rooms at Ritchie B&B offer a comfortable stay with air conditioning, cable TV, fully equipped bathrooms, free coffee and tea, and a complimentary breakfast spread.
This 2-star hotel welcomes its guests with free snacks and drinks, and the courteous staff is commended for its keen attention to detail. However, children and pets are not accommodated at Ritchie B&B.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ritchie B&B
6. Mediterranean Retreat, 4 Bed 4 Bath, King Bed, Fireplace, Games Room, Netflix, WiFi – a modern and cozy villa ideal for large groups
A charming Mediterranean-style retreat, this 4-bedroom accommodation is an ideal abode for business and private travelers looking to make a temporary home while exploring the splendors Edmonton has to offer.
The accommodation comes with 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a premium king-sized bed, an ornate fireplace and an elaborate games room.
Residents will have access to free WiFi, Netflix, flat-TV Screen, a fully-equipped kitchen, laundry area with a washing machine, and quality bedding and linens.
It’s a home away from home, perfect for large groups and families. The location is more than ideal, situated within proximity to the West Edmonton Mall, the Fort Edmonton Park and the Shaw Conference Center.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mediterranean Retreat, 4 Bed 4 Bath, King Bed, Fireplace, Games Room, Netflix, WiFi
7. NEW Desert Oasis, 1 BDRM, KING Bed, Fireplace, Central, Fast WiFi, Netflix, Sleeps 4! – a chic and modern apartment to stay in Edmonton
A remarkable 4-person accommodation situated near the Fort Edmonton Park and the West Edmonton Mall, the NEW Desert Oasis is affordable and luxurious.
This 1-bedroom property comes with a pristine king-sized bed, fireplace, fully equipped kitchen, and bathroom. Guests will find everything they need to feel comfortable and right at home, from free WiFi and Netflix to bedding, linen, towels and more.
If you want to enjoy the comfort and privacy of maintaining your own private accommodation, NEW Desert Oasis is quite affordable and manageable for private and business travelers.
The location is splendid and will reduce commuting costs considerably by positioning you near the leading attractions, corporate district and popular venues.
- To book, check prices or availability for NEW Desert Oasis, 1 BDRM, KING Bed, Fireplace, Central, Fast WiFi, Netflix, Sleeps 4!
8. Stylish Close to D/T FREE parking King Bed 2bed – a trendy and charming apartment that offers amazing city views
Stylish Close is a sprawling 2-bedroom apartment located in the heart of Edmonton, within proximity to the University of Alberta and the Shaw Conference Center.
This accommodation is ideal for travelers who want to enjoy expansive space and home-like comforts without splurging on luxury.
The 2 bedrooms have been tastefully furnished to create an elegant and comfortable setting. Both rooms offer delightful views of the city skyline, architecture and nearby attractions.
The apartment comes with a fully equipped kitchen, a lounging area with a flat-screen TV, and modern amenities. Families with kids find this accommodation appealing because it comes with a children’s playground.
- To book, check prices or availability for Stylish Close to D/T FREE parking King Bed 2bed
9. The Loft House (Wonderfully Designed) – a colorful, kitsch, and fun holiday home to stay in Edmonton
The Loft House is a fabulous holiday home, nestled near some of the city’s best attractions, including the Northlands Coliseum, the Northlands Park and the Edmonton Expo Center.
This loft-style apartment is ideal for travelers who enjoy tasteful interiors, modern architecture and ambient settings designed to maximize their comfort.
The Loft comes with three bedrooms, a state-of-the-art kitchen, a lounging area with flat-screen TV, and other amenities needed to feel right at home.
The interiors exude a lovely warmth with their bright and rich color tones, and the bedrooms are fitted with plush bedding and quality furniture to create an indulgent sleep station.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Loft House (Wonderfully Designed)
10. NEW Vibrant & Central 2 Bedroom, 1 Bath Suite, Fast WiFi, Fireplace, Sleeps 4! – a stylish place to stay in Edmonton that offers modern facilities
Tucked within proximity of the University of Alberta and the Shaw Conference Center, NEW Vibrant & Central is a sprawling holiday home that attracts travelers and families with its warm and ambient interiors.
This 2-bedroom holiday home comes with a fully-equipped bathroom suite, cozy fireplace, and a lounging area with a flat-screen TV.
Guests can cook their own breakfast and meals, for the state-of-the-art kitchen is fully equipped with appliances, including a dishwasher and a microwave.
The holiday home also features a laundry area with a washing machine. The property has a delightful garden where residents can relax and entertain their guests.
- To book, check prices or availability for NEW Vibrant & Central 2 Bedroom, 1 Bath Suite, Fast WiFi, Fireplace, Sleeps 4!
11. Lakeview Luxury Home, Hot Tub, Foosball, King Beds, Netflix, WiFi, Sleeps 10! – a trendy villa perfect for extended stays
A splendid 10-person holiday home, the Lakeview Luxury Home is a sprawling villa decked with opulence and lavish amenities.
Designed for cosmopolitan travelers who appreciate luxury, the Lakeview Home offers 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a dining area, a lounging room with a flat-screen TV, fully equipped kitchen and a lovely patio with breathtaking views of the lake.
The villa also includes a private parking space, private pool and a delightful garden overlooking the lake. Other amenities include free WiFi, Netflix, hot tub, foosball, and car rental services.
The location is another impressive aspect, for this luxury home is in proximity to the West Edmonton Mall, the Fort Edmonton Park and the University of Alberta.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lakeview Luxury Home, Hot Tub, Foosball, King Beds, Netflix, WiFi, Sleeps 10!
12. Bali Escape, 4 Bed 4 Bath, King Bed, Jetted Tub, Fireplace, Garage – a design villa ideal for a romantic break
Bali Escape is a charming 4-bedroom villa, nestled in the heart of Edmonton, near some of the city’s popular attractions, including Whyte Avenue and the West Edmonton Mall.
This 4-bedroom holiday home comes with opulent amenities and lavish upgrades, like a jetted tub, ornate fireplace, sprawling balcony and private garden.
Guests will feel right at home with amenities like a fully equipped kitchen that allows residents to cook their own meals and invite friends over for dinners.
The villa also provides a laundry area with a washing machine, and quality linens. The bedrooms are elegantly designed and decorated with quality bedding to maximize comfort and relaxation.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bali Escape, 4 Bed 4 Bath, King Bed, Jetted Tub, Fireplace, Garage
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique hotels in Toronto
- Cool Boutique hotels in Vancouver
- Cool Boutique hotels in Calgary
- Cool Boutique hotels in Montreal
- Cool Boutique hotels in Quebec
- Cool Boutique hotels in Portland
- Cool Boutique hotels in Seattle
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Whistler
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Banff
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Jasper
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ottawa
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.