Teeming with culture, art, and vibrancy, Fremantle is a charming port city perched at the outfall of the Swan River in Perth’s metropolitan area. Impressive Gold-rush-era buildings, stylish micro-breweries, bustling indoor markets, fun-filled public parks, impressive art, and one-of-a-kind museums line the streetscape in this coastal city.
What I love the most about this city is its buzzing nightlife. As soon as the daylight fades, locals and visitors flock to the lively Cappuccino Strip, High Street, and Wray Avenue to enjoy street art, fine food, creative cocktails, and the songs of buskers.
The city’s multicultural culinary scene is also worth mentioning. With influences from Indian, Asian, and Italian cuisines, this beautiful city in Western Australia can cater to the tastebuds of all tribes of tourists and vacationers.
The same level of diversity is found in Fremantle’s accommodation scene. We have road-tested and rounded up the city’s top cool and unusual hotels (in no particular order) below…
1. The Local Hotel – a cool, trendy and hip boutique hotel housed in an ornate 1897 building that is near major bars and restaurants
With boutique lodging options, amazing food, and an outstanding selection of liqueurs, The Local Hotel excels in the execution of amenities. If you are looking for a tranquil retreat with all modern comforts in South Fremantle, this may be the perfect pick for you.
It is housed in a fancy building dating from 1897. Designed by local artists, relaxed rooms are individually themed and equipped with mini-fridges, flat-panel TVs, coffee makers, and shared bathrooms. Some are decked out with bold artwork, 4-poster beds, fireplaces, and/or French balconies.
Though there are many interesting dining options in the area, you have got to check out the hotel’s open-air restaurant first. There’s also a breezy pub, a garden cafe offering weekend brunch and innovative cocktails, and a whiskey lounge.
Address: 282 South Terrace, South Fremantle WA 6162, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for The Local Hotel
2. Esplanade Hotel Fremantle – by Rydges’ – a cool and unique hotel that was once a site for a former prison
Housed in a Victorian building on the site of a former prison, Esplanade Hotel Fremantle by Rydges puts you right in the middle of all the action.
With a fabulous location in the city center, attentive service, and top-end amenities, the 4-star is the most exclusive hotel in Fremantle. Elegantly furnished rooms include flat-screen TVs, minibars, coffee makers, and whirlpool tubs. Suites, on the other hand, come with a foyer, dining/entertaining areas, and a lounge.
Though there are several great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, I found onsite dining options far more impressive. The Atrium Garden Restaurant will introduce an eclectic variety of special dishes, while The Harbour Master specializes in local seafood. Among the hotel’s many culinary offerings are also a bar, an old-world pub, and a Sunday high tea.
Address: 46-54 Marine Terrace, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Esplanade Hotel Fremantle – by Rydges’
3. Warders Hotel Fremantle Markets – hip and unique hotel housed in old limestone cottages that were once home to the Fremantle Warders’
Set in old limestone cottages that were residences of Fremantle’s warders, Warders Hotel offers a cozy nest behind the buffer of a thick wall constructed by the first convicts that arrived in the city.
The rich colonial heritage of the city pervades cottage rooms fitted with fireplaces, kitchenettes, sitting areas, marble bathrooms, minibars, and dining areas.
Original timbers, stonework, and luxury touches bring a lot of character to these comfy spaces. Artwork by Tessa Mackay featured in the rooms allows you to relive Fremantle’s dynamic history.
Address: 19 Henderson St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Warders Hotel Fremantle Markets
4. Tradewinds Hotel and Suites Fremantle – an exceptional and chic recently renovated hotel that is within walking distance from the Swan River
This Federal-style hotel on Sewell Street is nothing short of a restful oasis with homely comfort and 5-star amenities.
Located minutes from the stunning Swan River, Tradewinds Hotel and Suites Fremantle offers accommodation in contemporary rooms with minibars, work desks, whirlpool baths, flat-screen TVs, and kitchenettes. Suites offer separate living areas, while apartments come with full kitchens.
The hotel has a trendy eatery offering seasonal cuisine in an open-air setting. There’s also a business center, an event space, an outdoor pool, and a hot tub.
Address: 1 Sewell St, East Fremantle WA 6158, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Tradewinds Hotel and Suites Fremantle
5. Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle – a trendy and unique boutique hotel located in the heart of Fremantle that features modern rooms
Offering an intimate holiday experience, Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle is in the heart of the city with easy access to its best restaurants, markets, and cafes.
The high-end hotel is named after the last ship that carried convicts to Australia. It has been purpose-built with a creative sea container construction that presents the city’s most distinctive side.
Stylishly appointed rooms come with marble bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, personalized minibars, designer toiletries, and Nespresso machines among other luxuries. Guests also enjoy several complimentary perks, such as loaner bikes and evening socials with wine and appetizers.
Address: 15 Bannister St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Hougoumont Hotel Fremantle
6. The Federal Boutique Hotel – a casual and relaxed 19th-century Irish pub hotel conveniently located across the street from the Town Hall and the visitor center
Just across the street from the Town Hall lies this understated hotel set in an exquisite heritage site. With comfortable lodging, fantastic food, and diverse entertainment options, The Federal Boutique Hotel is hands-down one of the most unique hotels in the city.
Modest rooms are outfitted with flat-panel TVs and private or shared bathrooms. Upgraded quarters come with private facilities, coffee makers, seating areas, mini-fridges, and Internet access.
You can try delicious Australian classics at the onsite restaurant that specializes in traditional pub fare. As the hotel regularly organizes tasting events with some of Fremantle’s top winners and breweries, I got to try unique varieties of Australian liqueurs every day while staying here.
Address: 23 William St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for The Federal Boutique Hotel
7. Fothergills of Fremantle – a quirky-chic complex of grand Colonial 19th-century houses embraced by historic landmarks
If you want to stay amid Fremantle’s historic landmarks, you won’t find a place better than Fothergills of Fremantle. This traditional B&B is housed in three Colonial 19th-century houses.
The individually themed rooms are embellished with original artwork, 4-poster beds, patterned carpets, and vintage lamps. Amenities offered here include coffee makers, TVs with DVD players, and mini-fridges. The room’s balcony exposed me to breathtaking harbor views.
A sunroom with local artists’ paintings and a garden courtyard are also available.
Address: 18/22 Ord St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Fothergills of Fremantle
8. Quest Fremantle – a stylish and popular property housed in a corner building with a redbrick facade, ideal for long-term stays
A refined apartment hotel set in a corner building with a red brick facade, located a short walk from iconic Fremantle Markets.
The vibrant interior of modern rooms includes floor-to-ceiling windows, sleek furnishings, living areas, and kitchens. One- to two-bedroom apartments come with separate living rooms and balconies.
Onsite facilities at Quest Fremantle include a rooftop terrace, a business center, a fitness center, and a courtyard.
Address: Unit 1/8 Pakenham St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Quest Fremantle
9. Be. Fremantle – a bright, contemporary and well-appointed studio based along Challenger Harbour, perfect for friends or family vacation
These self-contained holiday apartments, in my opinion, are the best accommodation option if you want to live right on the harbor. Not only are they well-appointed but also offer a serene atmosphere coupled with exquisite water views.
Kitchenettes with Nespresso machines, flat-panel TVs, washers/dryers, and garden patios are some of the amenities you’ll enjoy here.
If you choose to lodge in one- to three-bedroom units, you can revel in broad marina views from inside your bedrooms. These units also include living and dining areas, balconies, sun decks, and/or additional bathrooms.
Address: 43 Mews Rd, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Be. Fremantle
10. Pier 21 Apartment Hotel Fremantle – a laid-back award-winning hotel to stay in Fremantle that offers the perfect romantic vibe
Situated on a residential street steps from a marina on the Swan River, Pier 21 Apartment Hotel Fremantle provides the best amenities in the area.
The accommodation includes one- to two-bedroom apartments with balconies, flat-screen TVs, leather sofas, minibars, and kitchenettes.
In-house facilities include indoor and outdoor pools, a tennis court, an exercise room, and a business center.
Address: 7/9 John St, North Fremantle WA 6159, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Pier 21 Apartment Hotel Fremantle
11. Nautica Residences Fremantle – a charming and bright hotel that is excellent for holidaymakers and corporate travelers, set in East Fremantle, in Perth
Attracting corporate travelers and holidaymakers alike, Nautica Residences Fremantle is set in the top two stories of Richmond Quarter in the heart of the city’s eastern part.
I found this place incredibly unique because of the grand onsite facilities, including a European-style piazza and a rooftop restaurant with sweeping views of the Harbor and the Swan River.
Guest rooms here are equally impressive with a large variety of amenities, ranging from flat-panel TVs to fully-equipped kitchens.
Address: 1 Silas St, East Fremantle WA 6158, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Nautica Residences Fremantle
12. Port Mill Bed & Breakfast – a loving and gorgeous adult-only B&B housed in a former flour mill built in 1862
This adults-only, stone B&B is set in a resorted four mill dating from 1862. It offers accommodation in lavishly appointed units with coffee makers, flat-panel TVs, and mini-fridges. Some rooms come with furnished terraces offering ocean or courtyard views.
Sitting within a mile of Fremantle Prison, Port Mill Bed & Breakfast is also home to a business center and a brick courtyard with a beautiful water feature and seating.
Address: 3/17 Essex St, Fremantle WA 6160, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Port Mill Bed & Breakfast
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Perth
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Broome
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Brisbane
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Byron Bay
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Sydney
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Melbourne
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Noosa
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam