Located in the heart of Catalonia, Girona is a treasure trove of historical wonders that span the ages, from its Gothic cathedrals and medieval walls to its Romanesque and Baroque buildings.
A stroll through the narrow alleys and winding streets of the city’s Old Quarter will transport you back to a bygone era. Beyond this beautifully preserved area, a cosmopolitan atmosphere has emerged with lively cafés, boutiques, and art galleries on every street corner.
On my most recent trip to Girona, I scouted out its many gorgeous hotels ranging from quaint townhouse boutiques to opulent historic buildings. Here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in the city (in no particular order)...
1. Hotel Nord 1901 – an elegant, trendy and quirky-chic hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Centrally located just a couple of minutes’ walk from the old quarter, this smart business hotel is enclosed within glass sliding doors.
Upon entrance, you will be greeted by a quirky atmosphere set by leather sofas, artfully fanned magazines, and jazzy décor.
The rooms however have a much more soothing colour scheme of ochre walls and taupe velvet. I thought having an iPod docking station and coffeemaker was a nice touch!
The quaint garden is dominated by a gorgeous swimming pool, and the surrounding daybeds are a godsend in the heat of a Catalonian summer! On-site you can also make use of a full bar service.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Nord 1901
2. Hotel Costabella – a bright, contemporary and stylish hotel providing guests with an outdoor swimming pool, sauna and fitness center
Since opening more than a half-century ago, Hotel Costabella has set a high standard of tailor-made service, adding an air of luxury to an authentic family-style atmosphere.
The thoughtful selection of boutique décor contributes to an intimate yet eye-catching interior aesthetic, inviting guests to relax in style.
There is a lush manicured garden area centred around a shimmering outdoor pool, where I spent a couple of afternoons simply soaking up the beautiful climate and taking shade under the white parasols. The restaurant is a laid-back space serving delicious light bites from sandwiches to traditional, homemade tapas dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Costabella
3. Hotel Palau de Bellavista Girona by URH – a contemporary, elegant and upscale hotel ideal for sport enthusiasts
Peeking out over Girona from high up on a hilltop, this jaw-dropping hotel echoes the sleek, modern design flair that Catalans are famous for.
It is housed in a gleaming glass rectangle, and the entrance lounge is a vast glass atrium with brushed steel, mezzanine walkways, and immaculate panelling. I thought the roof terrace was extraordinary, and it comes with a turquoise pool, cosy sun loungers, and a bespoke bar service.
The charcoal shades, pale greys and whites that stylize the guestrooms brought both charm and glamour to my stay, and the resplendent images of Girona’s buildings and river were quite the touch!
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Palau de Bellavista Girona by URH
4. Ciutat de Girona – a sleek, unique and bright hotel located in the heart of the city
This smart and contemporary hotel is situated in the heart of Girona’s main shopping area, with restaurants, bars, and museums aplenty on your doorstep.
A theme of greys and white with vivid sprinkles of pillar-box red permeates the interiors, and the guestrooms are decorated with large photos of the city.
Having the added conveniences of a pool, a fitness centre, and spa rooms was a welcome treat, and the staff were extremely warm and hospitable throughout my stay.
The on-site restaurant Blanc is a great source of modern Catalan dining experiences, and evolves into a vibrant cocktail bar later into the night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ciutat de Girona
5. Carlemany Girona – a quirky, sleek and fashionable hotel surrounded by popular local attractions
Perfectly positioned on the edge of a pedestrianized plaza on a peaceful street, Carlemany puts you only a few minutes walk from the Old Town.
The glass undulating façade emanates a super modern aesthetic, and inside the feel is much more intimate than you’d expect. Thoughtfully chosen canvases by well-known local artists decorate the walls, and there’s a grand piano in the reception area.
El Pati Verd, one of the in-house restaurants, serves mouth-watering international fare for lunch and dinner, and the Indigo tapas restaurant offers a delicious local alternative. There’s also a cocktail bar and a cafeteria located on-site.
- To book, check prices or availability for Carlemany Girona
6. Hotel Ultonia – a cool, hip and trendy accommodation perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Hotel Ultonia has been the source of unforgettable memories from my many trips to the city. The discernible blend of warmth and intimacy with a sense of urban cool inspires visitors to not just kick back and relax, but to fully immerse in Girona’s rich culture.
The hotel plays host to a number of graceful communal spaces, both open-air and fully indoor, and my favourite spot of all was the stunning terrace.
Up here, there is a vibrant cocktail bar & lounge, where you can enjoy a golden sunset with the illuminated Cathedral in the background, as you sip a crafted beverage.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Ultonia
7. Hotel Gran Ultonia – one of the best accommodations in Girona offering guests an upscale, spacious and modern stay
I thought this hotel perfectly captured the spirit of Girona, successfully mingling traditional elements with modern embellishments.
Situated a mere 500 metres from Girona Cathedral and the historic Barri Vell district, Hotel Gran Ultonia provides 71 cocooning guestrooms which are brand-new, spacious, and bright. Each room comes with easy access to the beautiful terrace, which offers some of the best city-meets-nature views I have ever witnessed.
My room was stylish and functional, and featured soft lighting and hardwood floors. The in-room ambiance was cosy and sophisticated, and enhanced with the first-rate amenities like the minibar, the satellite flat-screen TV, and the luxurious bathroom.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Gran Ultonia
8. Montjuic Boutique Bed & Breakfast Girona – a fashionable, lavish and neoclassical-style boutique B&B where guests can enjoy Insta-worthy views overlooking the city
Set high on a hilltop above Girona’s Old Town, this stylish boutique is a homely retreat offering rooms with private terraces.
A lovely garden and alluring outdoor pool invite you to relish a restful experience, where you can enjoy soul-soothing views from a hammock. Throughout the property there are vibrant pops of vintage chic décor, which include mid-century radiograms and up-cycled rococo style sofas.
I thought the lounge area, which features book-filled shelves and comfy white sofas, was the perfect space to return to after an action-packed day out in the city. The rooms, eclectic and classy, all boast spectacular views of the city.
- To book, check prices or availability for Montjuic Boutique Bed & Breakfast Girona
9. La Comuna Residence Boutique – an industrial-chic, cool and stylish accommodation moments away from the Girona cathedral and Arab Baths Girona
Sitting at the intersection of old and new in a quiet street in the heart of Barri Vell, La Comuna was inspired by the spectacular Catalan scenery.
Each room was curated with local charm in every detail, from the ancient stone walls to the local products, to the beautiful artwork. Many endurance athletes have sought refuge at this peaceful abode, owing in part to the stunning natural surroundings and in part to the owners’ history as athletes themselves.
If you are here to take advantage of the outdoor adventure opportunities, you can rest assured that all your needs will be taken care of. There are fully equipped kitchen areas, comfortable relaxation spaces, and a whole host of modern amenities designed to maximize energy and vitality.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Comuna Residence Boutique
10. Peninsular – a cozy, chic and stylish accommodation in a location ideal for those who love to shop
This budget-friendly boutique offers one of my favourite cafés in the whole city, and is a cheerful haven lying just west of the river.
The Old City can be reached within a couple of minutes’ walk. The café’s 150-year history certainly adds to the appeal here and encourages a lot of locals and passers-by to pop in.
The guestrooms are enlivened by the odd colourful abstract print, and offer cosy amenities designed to nurture a restful experience. The café’s kitchen is open for breakfast and lunch and serves an impressive set menu of Catalan dishes in a buzzy atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Peninsular
11. Hotel Històric – a traditional, modern and quiet boutique accommodation steps away from an array of restaurants
Hotel Històric is a fan favourite among the cycling community. Lance Armstrong even stayed here for three months!
The hotel lives up to its name with an abundance of opulent architectural features from different eras. Set on a peaceful medieval street in downtown Girona, the rooms offer a unique glimpse over an impressive cityscape, and from the roof terrace, you can almost touch the Cathedral!
This family-run property is upheld by a faultless service, and the staff were always on hand to help me draft up the most amazing day trips. Breakfast here is a lavish affair that consists of homemade delicacies in a tranquil setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Històric
12. Hotel Museu Llegendes de Girona – a historic, cozy and unique accommodation within walking distance of the famous Jewish quarter
Hotel Museu features recurring motifs themed around stories from Girona, and is perfectly situated in the heart of the Old Town making it ideal for sightseeing and café hopping.
Stone carvings and precious antiques add a touch of bygone elegance to the interiors, while the guestrooms have been modernized and cater to the cool, trendy crowd. To take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city, some afternoons I would sit in the downstairs lounge area and lose myself in one of the many books available.
Breakfast is one of the hotel’s standout offerings, and it is a buffet of locally produced pastries and various homemade dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Museu Llegendes de Girona
13. AS Palau dels Alemanys – a spacious, rustic and hip accommodation where guests have the luxury of a delicious breakfast basket being delivered to their door each morning
This quaint three-room aparthotel is set on an ancient side street, and provides a level of luxury that would match most five stars.
These stunning studios come with high ceilings, stone walls, and eloquently designed furniture, and overlook a serene patio where guests gather to sit and chat.
The service here was top notch, with the owner providing me with a tailored list of recommended places to eat and visit. The apartments are self-catering, however a delicious breakfast basket is left outside your door every morning. You can make use of the free bar downstairs, where tea, coffee, and soft drinks are served.
- To book, check prices or availability for AS Palau dels Alemanys
14. Habitación en La Rambla – a vibrant, retro and quirky accommodation in close proximity to several well know activities
Housed in an opulent historic building set before majestic city views, this peaceful sanctuary is draped in trappings of modern hip, which pair elegantly with the intricate motifs and patterned floors.
Every visual frame in this apartment is colourful and vibrant, with resplendent artwork and beautiful plants dotted around.
The juxtapositions within the property are eye-catching, with cocooning areas dressed in all whites beautifully contrasting the tasteful artisan décor.
This is certainly the place to stay if you want to immerse yourself in local life without the touristy feel of a hotel. This more residential feel does not compromise on comfort, however, with bountiful high-end amenities on offer.
- To book, check prices or availability for Habitación en La Rambla
15. Pensió Bellmirall – a charming, historic and antique-style accommodation designed to feel like a home-away-from-home
Hidden amid a web of streets in the shade of Girona’s Gothic cathedral, this cosy seven-room pensión places you smack bang in the centre of the city’s oldest neighbourhood.
It is housed in a 13th-century building, and is filled with flowers and oil paintings, inducing a soothing, artistic ambiance. There’s a quaint plant-filled patio with an ancient well surrounded by marble tables, and a shady little courtyard where I enjoyed kicking back with a book in hand.
While a pleasant family feel suffuses the property, there is still a great sense of seclusion here, and the pretty downstairs sitting room makes for a beautiful spot to embrace tranquillity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pensió Bellmirall
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Barcelona
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Bilbao
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Valencia
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Madrid
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Malaga
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Seville
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Granada
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.