Once known as Furniture City and River City, the Michigan city is now officially America’s Best Beer City, the Craft Beverage Capital of the US and even a Top 20 U.S. Foodie City with fresh, local food galore. The city is just an hour away from sprawling Lake Michigan, where you can plan to spend your day lazing around on the beach or on the water.
Back in GR, don’t miss the live music in the summer at the Frederik Meijer Gardens and “The Calder”, a giant abstract sculpture by Alexander Calder near city hall as well as the many great restaurants, shops and bars. Accommodation options luxury riverfront hotels and charming boutique B&Bs, and many of them are pet friendly too. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Grand Rapids (in no particular order)…
1. Canopy By Hilton Grand Rapids Downtown – a trendy, Instagrammable and hip hotel that offers a vibrant vibe perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
Tucked in the heart of the beer city’s popular Ale Trail, The Canopy By Hilton is nestled downtown, surrounded by over 80 local breweries.
Located at the center of all the action and touristy attractions, the Canopy By Hilton offers everything you need for a lavishly comfortable vacation. The hotel attracts luxury seekers with its mid-century architecture and posh interiors.
The interior décor perfectly aligns with Grand Rapids’ reputation as the “furniture city,” decked in exquisite furniture and uniquely handcrafted furnishings made by Amish artisans.
The hotel offers opulently decorated suites with sweeping views, an upscale rooftop bar, and an endless array of modern amenities. The best part is that it provides easy access to all popular attractions, including the Frederik Meijer Gardens and the Riveredge Trail.
- To book, check prices or availability for Canopy By Hilton Grand Rapids Downtown
2. AC Hotel Grand Rapids Downtown – a chic, unique and modern hotel with European-style decor housed in a 19th-century hotel
Are you planning a lavish vacation at a refined, upscale, elegantly furnished boutique hotel tucked in the midst of a bustling metropolis? Look no further than the AC Hotel Grand Rapids Downtown to revel in old-world European charm and explore all the popular attractions that downtown has to offer.
The hotel is a marvel of 19th-century architecture and European-themed interiors, creating a delightful environment for an ambient and comfortable stay. The hotel has one of the best libraries to delight passionate bibliophiles, and the posh AC Lounge is famous for its signature G+T cocktails.
Staying at the AC Hotel is a luxurious way to treat yourself and position yourself in the heart of all the fun and entertainment of the raging Grand Rapids nightlife.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel Grand Rapids Downtown
3. Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton – a grand historic upscale hotel located in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids
Hilton is one of the most prestigious names in the global hospitality sector, and the Amway Grand Plaza is one of the finest creations in the Curio Collection By Hilton portfolio. Staying at the Amway Grand Plaza is an intensely indulgent experience that combines old-world charm with modern luxuries.
Perched along the picturesque backdrop of the Grand River, the Amway Grand Plaza is drenched with cultural and historic charm. The suites are endlessly comfortable with opulent interiors and European-themed décor.
The hotel offers around eight fine dining restaurants and bars, and the skywalk access allows travelers to explore popular attractions across downtown with considerable ease.
- To book, check prices or availability for Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
4. The Parsonage Inn B&B – a unique and historic Bed and Breakfast located in downtown Grand Rapids
Do you seek a homely, comfortable, and earthy abode to enjoy homely comforts in the heart of the bustling metropolis? Head over to the Parsonage to experience the old-world charms of traditional bread and breakfast with a contemporary twist.
The elegant interiors are the first thing one notices upon entering the lobby and touring the rooms.
The Parsonage Inn has a fascinating history, as this Queen Anne mansion was erected back in 1882. It’s one of the most beautiful and domineering architectural heritage sites to behold on the iconic Heritage Hill, and history buffs would definitely want to stay here and revel in its legacy.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Parsonage Inn B&B
5. Home2 Suites By Hilton Grand Rapids North – a comfy and spacious hotel where pets are also welcome
Home2 Suites by Hilton comes highly recommended for dog parents and travelers adventuring with their furry friends.
This hotel offers a sublime experience, living up to its name by providing a home-like comfort with its earthy vibe and indulgent opulence. The suites and rooms are intensely comfortable, and the housekeeping staff will attend to your needs with diligent dedication.
Guests have access to world-class amenities, including a state-of-the-art fitness center, business center, fine dining establishments, bars, and an indoor pool. You can enjoy easy access to multiple attractions, including the Fish Ladder Park, Voigt House Victorian Museum, and Heritage Hill.
- To book, check prices or availability for Home2 Suites By Hilton Grand Rapids North
6. Leonard at Logan House – a quirky-chic B&B that provides a homey environment, ideal for a relaxing stay
Do you prefer charming and homely inns over upscale and lavish boutique hotels? If yes, you are going to fall head over heels in love with the historic charm and artisanal elegance of Leonard at Logan House.
This enchanting little inn has a rich and powerful history, located in the heart of Heritage Hill – one of the major metropolitan historic districts in the United States.
Constructed back in 1914, Logan House was home to one of the most affluent and posh families of Grand Rapids, the Harry C. Leonards.
The house has an enchanting appeal with its mid-century architecture and tasteful interiors.
- To book, check prices or availability for Leonard at Logan House
7. Embassy Suites By Hilton Grand Rapids Downtown – a charming urban style hotel that offers spacious rooms
The Embassy Suites by Hilton invites you to a luxuriously lavish accommodation tucked at the northern tip of Grand Rapids downtown, right across the scenic backdrop of the Grand River.
Embassy Suites is an apt choice for travelers who want to enjoy the energy of downtown without feeling overwhelmed by the crowdedness of the site.
Guests can’t stop raving about the complimentary evening reception and the action-packed events calendar, making the Embassy Suites the perfect spot for foreign tourists looking to make friends and find like-minded travel buddies.
It offers easy access to multiple popular attractions, including the DeVos Place, Grand Rapids Public Museum, and several Michelin-starred restaurants.
- To book, check prices or availability for Embassy Suites By Hilton Grad Rapids Downtown
8. Park City 2-bedroom condo in Grand Rapids – a modern aparthotel ideal for longer stays
Travelers looking for privacy and home-like comforts prefer renting their own accommodation, and the Park City condominium is the perfect spot. It’s a lavishly furnished 2-bedroom apartment decked with elegant furniture and rich textures worthy of Grand Rapids’ reputation as the iconic “furniture city.”
The state-of-the-art kitchen, living area, and dining space are ideal for travelers, honeymooners, and groups planning to take the city by the storm.
This centrally-located condo will position you in the heart of all the action and adventure, with all the popular attractions within proximity. You can enjoy spectacular views of the glitzy skyline and stay connected to the rip-roaring social scene.
- To book, check prices or availability for Park City 2-bedroom condo in Grand Rapids
9. Hilton Garden Inn Grand Rapids East – a popular hotel that provides great amenities including a gift shop
The Hilton Garden Inn has an enchanting warmth with its opulent mid-century décor, cozy fireplaces, and elegantly furnished rooms.
Each suite is an ocean of luxurious comfort, decked with flat-screen TVs, coffeemakers, deluxe bedding, and lovely balconies with sweeping views of the city.
Tucked 4 miles away from Reeds Lake and around 5 miles away from the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, Hilton Garden offers the best of Grand Rapids, minus the overwhelming crowds and mainstream touristy chaos.
The hotel offers a fitness room, Michigan-shaped pools, hot tubs, and a patio where guests can set up a fire pit to enjoy summertime BBQs and pool parties.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hilton Garden Inn Grand Rapids East
10. 2BR 2B Condo in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids – an elegant apartment where guests can enjoy panoramic city views
Do you want to spend a rewarding summer in downtown Grand Rapids, surrounded by the energy of hip nightlife and endless entertainment? Consider renting the 2BR 2B condo, located in the beating heart of the rip-roaring downtown.
This accommodation is ideally suited to business and luxury travelers looking for home-like comforts and privacy. The fully air-conditioned condominium features two elegantly furnished bedrooms, a satellite flat-screen TV, a dining area, a fully-equipped kitchen, linen, and beddings.
The site also offers access to a state-of-the-art fitness center and a balcony with sweeping views of the city skyline.
Popular attractions like the Van Andel Arena, Devos Hall, and the Grand Rapids Art Museum are located within walking distance.
- To book, check prices or availability for 2BR 2B Condo in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids
We also have posts on…
- Cool and unusual hotels in Detroit
- Cool and unusual hotels in Milwaukee
- Cool and unusual hotels in Chicago
- Cool and unusual hotels in Cleaveland
- Cool and unusual hotels in Pittsburgh
- Cool and unusual hotels in Indianapolis
- Cool and unusual hotels in Toronto
- Cool and unusual hotels in Traverse City
- Cool and unusual hotels in Duluth
- Cool boutique hotels in Madison
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ann Arbor
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam