Fondly dubbed the Vibrant Eiger Village by the locals, Grindelwald is a charming alpine village nestled at the foothills of the Eiger, Jungfrau, and Monch mountains. This majestic village serves as a central alpine base to embark on a multitude of adventures into the Alps.
Grindelwald attracts high-altitude trekkers, hikers, mountain bikers, and skiing enthusiasts with its unspoiled wilderness, snow-coated landscape, and abundant recreational opportunities. Travelers need to find a central accommodation to make the most of their time in Grindelwald, enjoying the local villages and the snow-laced scenery.
From boutique hotels and cozy inns to family-run establishments and luxury resorts, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Grindelwald, Switzerland (in no particular order)…
1. Sunstar Hotel & SPA Grindelwald – one of the coolest and most Instagrammable hotels to stay in Grindelwald perfect for partying and Millennials and Gen Zs
The Sunstar Hotel & Spa offers an unparalleled location to delight one’s senses with unspoiled and unobstructed views of the First, the Wetterhorn, and the Eiger North Face.
Nestled in a quiet setting, the Sunstar features 219 guest rooms, a world-class spa, a fitness center, two onsite restaurants, seminar rooms, and an outdoor playground.
Guests can explore 219 rooms in 9 different categories, including Premium Rooms, Junior Suites, and Premium Suites with expansive balconies. The sparsely furnished rooms have a cozy rustic appeal and minimalist wooden furniture.
Travelers can enjoy gourmet buffets at the half-board restaurant Ambiance or sample traditional Swiss fares at Adlerstube.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sunstar Hotel & SPA Grindelwald
2. Bergwelt Grindelwald – Alpine Design Resort – a cozy, stylish and fun hotel perfect for a boutique skiing break
Cradled by a stunning backdrop of snow-coated mountains, the Bergwelt Grindelwald is home to 90 luxury accommodations, an 800-m2 Fire & Ice Spa, multiple dining venues, and an ambient lobby bar. This upscale venue offers an authentic Swiss experience with a glorious alpine location and traditional-style interiors.
The 90 guest rooms and suites invigorate the senses with their rustic mountain charm, decked with fine Swiss wood and high-end furniture. All rooms offer enchanting panoramic views of the alpine scenery.
The Fire & Ice Spa is full of indulgent surprises, from four saunas and heated pools to an ice fountain, a textile steam bath, and a cozy relaxation area with a fireplace.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bergwelt Grindelwald – Alpine Design Resort
3. Boutique Hotel Glacier – a trendy high-end design hotel surrounded by picture-perfect majestic mountains
Alpine adventurers seeking proximity to the Bernese Alps will feel right at home at the Boutique Hotel Glacier, a delightful venue that balances home-like comforts with resort-like services.
The hotel features 28 rooms and suites, making it an ideal choice for vacationers who detest crowded resorts and desire an intimate setting.
Hotel Glacier preserves 150 years of history with a location and name that pays homage to the Lower Grindelwald Glacier that once stretched down to the valley. The hotel is committed to environmental preservation with impressive sustainability practices.
The accommodations offer exquisite furniture crafted with all-natural materials, cozy COCO-MAT beds, and sweeping views of Eiger North Face. The Glacier Signature Rooms come with private outdoor whirlpools on the terrace.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boutique Hotel Glacier
4. Aspen Alpine Lifestyle Hotel – a hip, chic and sleek boutique hotel housed in an alpine-style building that offers great access to public transport
Hiking and skiing enthusiasts flock to the Aspen Alpine Lifestyle Hotel to enjoy doorstep access to ski runs and nature trails and support their adventures with relaxing amenities.
This Swiss-style chalet has a rustic appeal and uncomplicated layout that allows nature lovers to connect deeply with the wilderness.
Owned and managed by the Grossniklaus family, personal touches and keen attention to detail are visible in every nook and cranny of the well-maintained interiors. The Aspen Alpine offers rooms in all shapes and sizes, from standard rooms and junior suites to a sprawling 130-m2 penthouse suite.
The venue also offers a wellness area, an outdoor whirlpool, an in-house restaurant, the Alp Room.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aspen Alpine Lifestyle Hotel
5. Eiger Selfness Hotel**** – Zeit für mich – a contemporary and unique hotel perfect for a fun-loving crowd
The Eiger Selfness Hotel curates a heartfelt experience that reminds travelers of their inner strength, providing them the warmth and security they need to prioritize self-care and wellness.
The architectural layout, interiors, amenities, and experience are designed around facilitating a heartfelt connection with Mother Nature while pampering guests with luxurious comforts.
Travelers can find their ideal accommodation from a lineup of single rooms, double rooms, and 1, 2, and 3-bedroom apartments. Guests typically spend their days enjoying invigorating massages at the spa, taking personal coaching sessions, and attending yoga sessions with a magical view of Eiger mountain.
The in-house restaurant Barrys offers a hut-like setting, perfect for romantic dinners featuring hearty traditional delicacies.
- To book, check prices or availability for Eiger Selfness Hotel**** – Zeit für mich
6. Hotel Kreuz&Post**** Grindelwald – a polished hotel with some cool and quirky details where guests can take in the Insta-worthy panoramic mountain views
Tucked in the heart of Grindelwald, the Hotel Kreuz & Post is an enchanting hotel situated right next to the Jungfrau train station, gondolas, ski lifts, and bus.
It allows travelers to experience the best of everything that Grindelwald has to offer, from nature trails and alpine scenery to local cuisine, artisanal crafts, and historic sites.
The hotel offers 42 rooms and suites with sweeping alpine views, minibars, smart appliances, and fine linens. Guests can choose between deluxe double rooms or spacious suites to address their accommodation needs.
Those who prefer a private balcony should consider the south-facing rooms to enjoy splendid views of the Eiger North Face.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Kreuz&Post**** Grindelwald
7. Hotel PINTE – a relaxed and romantic alpine-style chalet hotel which is one of the best places to stay in Grindelwald
Hotel PINTE first opened its doors to adventurers back in 1843, and today, it commands a domineering presence with its historic legacy, vibrant architecture, and fabulous location overlooking the Bernese Alps.
Steeped in alpine charm and Swiss traditions, the PINTE is a popular hangout spot for adventurers and nomads, particularly because of the in-house restaurant. The Pinte restaurant is a much-loved dining spot for authentic Swiss cuisine.
The hotel offers eight lovingly preserved double rooms with ensuite bathrooms, wood-paneled walls, and minimalist furniture. Guests typically start their day with the hotel’s rich and indulgent breakfast buffet, while dinners are an elegant affair with multiple courses and an impressive wine collection.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel PINTE
8. Hotel Spinne Grindelwald – a rustic-chic hotel that offers great facilities including an infinity pool
A family-friendly hotel nestled at the foothills of the majestic Eiger, Hotel Spinne positions vacationers right in the heart of Grindeldwald’s magical glacier village.
The Spinne takes its name from a spider-like snow formation in the North Wall, serving as an ideal base for rewarding hiking trails and nature walks in the Jungfrau region.
The hotel is home to 43 accommodations, 2 onsite restaurants, and a wellness spa with a heated infinity pool, whirlpool, massage space, saunas, and multi-sensory showers. The rooms have a typical alpine design with sprawling balconies and terraces to enjoy the scenery.
The onsite restaurants, Rotisserie and the Ristorante Mercato & Bistro are incredibly popular among locals and travelers alike.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Spinne Grindelwald
9. Das BODMI – a cool and trendy hotel that provides a peaceful setting where you can unplug and unwind
Das BODMI attracts modern travelers with its affordable and immersive packages, such as wellness breaks with spa treatments, guided ski trips, alpine discovery tours, and themed romantic getaways.
This dreamy venue is more than just a hotel because it offers a wholesome, action-packed experience brimming with local advice and cultural experiences.
The venue offers an extensive variety of accommodations, including double rooms, family rooms, 2-room suites, and 3-room suites. The cost includes a lavish breakfast buffet, sauna access, and other complimentary facilities.
The onsite spa and sauna are most unusual, offering world-class amenities in a goat shed. Guests can indulge in authentic Swiss gastronomy at the Alpine bar, the rooftop Elements restaurant, or the Bodmi food truck.
- To book, check prices or availability for Das BODMI
10. Hotel Cabana – a cute and charming family-run B&B that is the perfect home away from home
A characterful B&B nestled 400 meters from the Grindelwald Train Station, the Hotel Cabana is an ideally-located establishment to immerse oneself in the snow-coated valley without losing touch with downtown and nearby villages.
Hotel Cabana offers a tranquil environment to feast one’s eyes on the magical scenery and explore traditional Swiss culture in a family-owned establishment.
Travelers can explore standard rooms, double rooms, junior suites, and spacious apartment-style suites featuring panoramic views of the Eiger North Face.
The hotel offers a sunbathing lawn, a fitness area, indoor and outdoor sports facilities, an electric parking lot, a boccia lane, and an outdoor kitchen.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Cabana
11. Parkhotel Schoenegg – a chic hotel with some quirky/kitsch details located in the heart of Grindelwald surrounded by scenic views
Parkhotel Schoenegg is a popular alpine base for adventurers planning to embark on thrilling excursions deep into the wild. This ideally located hotel serves as a convenient starting point for multiple sites, including Jungfraujoch, Bussalp, Männlichen, Mürren-Schilthorn, and the First.
This tranquil hideaway offers comfortable accommodations, in-house dining, a sauna and relaxation room, and a whirlpool overlooking the Eiger. Guests can explore cozy rooms with spellbinding views of the Eiger, Schreckhorn, or Wetterhorn.
The onsite restaurant specializes in traditional Swiss cuisine prepared with locally-farmed produce sourced through Grindelwald farmers.
Guests speak highly of the five-course dinner featuring a vibrant buffet-style salad bar, a cheese platter with regional varieties, and multiple main courses.
- To book, check prices or availability for Parkhotel Schoenegg
12. Hotel Central Wolter – Grindelwald – a creative and charming family-run hotel that features a heated outdoor terrace
Surrounded by the snow-coated peaks of Jungfrau Valley, Hotel Central Wolter is nestled in the center of Grindelwald Village’s vibrant and close-knit community. This venue is a brilliant choice for outdoorsy travelers eager to engage in hiking, mountain biking, and skiing.
Central Wolter offers 39 cozy alpine-style rooms and 10 apartments with functional kitchens and ample space to accommodate families and large groups. Many rooms feature private balconies or patios with enthralling views.
The onsite restaurant specializes in traditional and international cuisine, and guests enjoy lingering on the heatable terrace after breakfast and dinner. The inviting lobby is always brimming with newspapers and reading material for guests to enjoy.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Central Wolter – Grindelwald
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Interlaken
- Cool boutique hotels in Villars
- Cool boutique hotels in Zurich
- Cool boutique hotels in St. Moritz
- Cool boutique hotels in Verbier
- Cool boutique hotels in Zermatt
- Cool boutique hotels in Chamonix
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Arosa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Andermatt
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Les Portes du Soleil
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.