The Hanseatic city of Hamburg is Germany’s seafaring hub and is commonly referred to as the maritime capital of the north. Now, it is one of Europe’s finest urban areas owing to a modern, cosmopolitan outlook, where the wonderful worlds of nature, art and city are intertwined. This is alongside many landmarks dating back over 1200 years.
Famed for its many art museums, vibrant neighbourhoods, and 19th -century architecture, Hamburg boasts one of the world’s most important ports, which can be visited before a stroll through the Old Town and its quaint, historic streets.
Hamburg’s hotels are bursting with life, vitality and creativity and range from centuries-old renovated boutiques to trendy futuristic skyscrapers. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Hamburg, Germany (in no particular order)...
1. 25hours Hotel Altes Hafenamt – a cool and very Instagrammable industrial-chic hotel with chic and funky interiors
A funky offering from the 25hours chain, this chic hotel sits on the edge of the HafenCity development and is set inside an eye-catching, historic red-brick building.
Its beautiful aesthetic matches the elegant environs, while the interiors are decked out with a ‘luxe maritime’ theme. Large potted plants and leather armchairs are exposed against a cornucopia of anchors, globes, and lifeboat rings in a brickwork backdrop, while a savvy mix of contemporary and historic photographs adorns the corridors.
The bustling restaurant features some Middle Eastern touches to complement the cuisine, and the 49 guestrooms boast nifty touches like vintage-style chairs, globes, and books.
- To book, check prices or availability for 25hours Hotel Altes Hafenamt
2. PIERDREI Hotel HafenCity Hamburg – a hip, unique and eclectic innercity hotel perfect for all types of traveller
The pulse of Hamburg reverberates through this eclectic inner-city hotel, which is set diagonally across from the World Heritage site Speicherstadt.
Welcoming families, couples, and business travellers with open arms, Pierdrei offers a charming roof garden with breathtaking views of HafenCity, and a caravan on the first floor called ‘Camper City’. The 212 guestrooms evoke a nostalgic charm through bespoke furniture and soft modern hues, with comfy seating areas inviting you to unwind.
The on-site restaurant offers an eccentric ambiance, and caters to modern jet setters through an eclectic range of comfort foods. From the hotel, you can rent a bike to explore the local neighbourhoods, and go souvenir shopping in the in-house store.
- To book, check prices or availability for PIERDREI Hotel HafenCity Hamburg
3. Moxy Hamburg City – a quirky, trendy and modern hotel which is also a vibrant and fun social hub
Nestled between Alster and Elbe, the two iconic rivers that spread a maritime flair through the property, Moxy beautifully contrasts the romance of Venice with the industrial style of Hamburg.
Permeated by modern pop culture, this eclectic hotel is a vibrant social hub, yet invites you to become cocooned in high thread count bedding and luxurious interior décor.
Each room comes with a 42-inch HDTV and a state-of-the-art sound system, with full-height art images diffusing a creative air. In terms of dining, the hotel offers a breakfast bar, a day bar with a well-sourced wine aperitif, and a 24/7 pick-up service ready to serve you after a night out.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy Hamburg City
4. Empire Riverside Hotel – a sleek, sexy and trendy hotel with a cosmopolitan vibe and Insta-worthy river views is a great place to party or relax
This cosmopolitan retreat towers above the Elbe, and is beautifully nestled between Hamburg’s harbour and the St. Pauli district.
Housed in an eye-catching bronze and glass structure, the Empire Riverside Hotel consists of a 17-storey tower and an L-shaped, four-storey base.
As you enter the soaring central atrium, a large open space and a charming collection of modern artworks will greet you with an enchanting welcome.
At the top of the building is the breathtaking Skyline Bar 20up, which draws in locals and guests with its black-stone bar and expertly made cocktails. The on-site Waterkant Restaurant is a signature dining spot, offering local classics and internationally inspired dishes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Empire Riverside Hotel
5. Hausboot Wilma – a cute and romantic peaceful retreat which makes a very unique stay in Hamburg
One of Hamburg’s unique accommodation offerings, Hausboot Wilma is set on the canal, inviting you to awaken to the sound of flowing water.
The property’s charm is the result of a maritime flair coalesced seamlessly with the modern comforts of a high-end hotel. The boat has only 1 bedroom, meaning it is the ultimate spot for a total retreat from the real world, in a romantic seclusion near impossible to find within the centre.
However, a stay on the water does not mean you have to compensate on your overall connection to the real world, with high-velocity Wi-Fi in the houseboat.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hausboot Wilma
6. Ruby Lotti Hotel Hamburg – a hip, quirky and cool hotel full of fun, color and style
Located in the beating heart of Hamburg, this lean luxury design hotel greets you with an upbeat tone and hip décor, themed vaguely around the tabloid journalism of the Fifties and Sixties.
Once a publishing house, the building that houses Ruby Lotti has been transformed into a synthesis of colourful, stylish furnishings, with large windows affording stunning river views.
The guestrooms are breezily decorated with crisp white bedding, curtains and walls, and offer a glass-walled rain shower as well as other nifty, tech-savvy touches.
The tablet-style check-in system even dispenses room cards, one of many playful mod cons which grab your attention at Ruby Lotti.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ruby Lotti Hotel Hamburg
7. prizeotel Hamburg-St. Pauli – a funky, Instagrammable and stylish hotel with a cool and fun vibe perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
The prizeotel Hamburg exists in the centre of the pulsating port metropolis and has been styled to combine a cool and welcoming design with a functional aesthetic in a relaxed atmosphere.
At the prizeotel, you are only a stone’s throw from the legendary Reeperbahn and the Fischmarkt, and your in-house comfort will be catered to by a charming staff presence.
Each guestroom is fitted with modern solutions, including high-velocity Wi-Fi, soundproof windows, and a flat-screen TV with a mobile connection
. The lobby is a vibrant communal space which showcases big sporting events via SKY, and offers a stunning spread of delicious food and crafted drinks.
- To book, check prices or availability for prizeotel Hamburg – St. Pauli
8. Kröger by Underdog Hotels – a trendy industrial-chic design hotel showcasing a quirky sporty history in an elegant design
Catered to the free-spirited globetrotter, the business traveller, and the sports enthusiast, KRÖGER by Underdog Hotels has a close link to the sport of boxing, which is revealed in many details showcasing the history of the sport.
Here, casual furniture complements elegant design, an essence reflected in the spacious lobby through its graceful lounge areas and wooden hues.
The 58 guestrooms come in all shapes and sizes, and are all graced by state-of-the-amenities and a quirky, rustic feel. At any time of the day, you can head for a workout at the fitness centre, which boasts a bountiful array of high-quality equipment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kröger by Underdog Hotels
9. Gastwerk Hotel Hamburg – Hamburg’s first design-led hotel with a hip industrial vibe
Here we have Hamburg’s first design-led hotel, which embodies the connection between good friends through lovingly curated interior embellishments and a carefully renovated industrial vibe.
The Mangold restaurant and bar awaits you with a dash of cosiness, as well as a fusion of harmonious compositions and first-rate service.
You can look forward to a spacious ambiance of warm colours, fine wood, and luxe fabrics which beautifully contrast the trendy concrete hues, regardless of which room category you opt for.
The property feels more like a gracefully furnished loft than a hotel, and trendsetting amenities provide true comforts of home.
- To book, check prices or availability for Gastwerk Hotel Hamburg
10. Zollenspieker Fährhaus – a historic and Instagrammable upscale hotel situated next to the nature reserve
Here we have a truly exclusive hospitality experience. Situated next to the nature reserve at the southernmost point of Hamburg, Zollenspieker Fährhaus represents a piece of Hanseatic history, and its foundations date back to 1252.
Having lived through many historical events, this traditional house is under monument protection, and has taken a big step towards the future by featuring all the mod cons of a luxury hotel.
A ferry awaits day-trippers for a ride across the Elbe at the pier right in front of the hotel’s front door, and you can indulge in many beautiful vantage points in and around the property.
- To book, check prices or availability for Zollenspieker Fährhaus
11. SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg – a cool, colorful and unique modern design hotel that has bright and minimalist rooms
This conspicuous 11-floor structure is fronted by a boxy stone-and-glass façade, which welcomes you into an elegant interior design graced by a vivid colour scheme.
A bright, commodious feel is lent by a computerised light installation by theatre virtuoso Robert Wilson, and this feature is reiterated in the sleek, minimalist guestrooms.
All come with workstations and glass-fronted bathrooms, while the higher-floor units boast awe-inspiring views across the Hamburg skyline.
You can savour a lavish affair during breakfast, which is served in the swanky bar and restaurant, a space which turns into a low-lit hub for evenings of fine dining.
- To book, check prices or availability for SIDE Design Hotel Hamburg
12. Raphael Hotel Wälderhaus – a stunning and popular design hotel that is a haven for the eco-conscious
An eco-conscious haven located on the Elbe island of Wilhelmsburg, Raphael Hotel offers a super-friendly atmosphere, and treats guests with a warm welcome.
Each of the 82 rooms are named after local tree species, and combine natural materials with ecological fixtures and modern technology to offer a unique experience without scarifying on comfort.
The hotel is housed in the WÄLDERHAUS, a stunning multifunctional building which is holistically imbued with sustainability principles.
Guests can reach the main train station within 10 minutes, owing to the hotel’s supreme location. The on-site restaurant is a vibrant hub where seasonal and regional ingredients are fused into dishes made with love and creativity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Raphael Hotel Wälderhaus
13. Landhaus Flottbek Boutique Hotel – a beautiful award-winning boutique hotel with an air of stylish luxury
Graced with country-style oak floorboards and 200-year-old ceiling beams, this lavish boutique manor is teeming with the heritage of the former courtyard.
Transformed in recent years into a place for feel-good moments, the pluralistic design is accompanied with plenty of space, light, and warmth.
The award-winning establishment HYGGE is one of Hamburg’s most favoured hangouts, and offers a restaurant, a bar, and a living room, echoing the hotel’s vision of ‘enjoying the moment’.
Guests can take advantage of high-quality materials and an air of casual luxury in each of the guestrooms, which all come with a personal touch and a quirky charm.
- To book, check prices or availability for Landhaus Flottbek Boutique Hotel
14. Henri Hotel Hamburg Downtown – a quirky-chic boutique hotel with a fun retro vibe and a historic past
The encapsulating, seven-storey clinker-brick building that houses Henri Hotel was once a tea merchant’s house. Nowadays, the hotel boasts a retro aesthetic, with book-laden shelves, hand-woven rugs, and Fifties-style chairs filling a spacious, multifunctional lobby space.
The 65 guestrooms exude a sense of chic sophistication, with polished wood floors and bright tapestries paired with subtle colour schemes and oversized beds.
The hotel is serenely situated on a cobbled street, ideally placed for the city’s renowned Altstadt and its many eclectic shops and restaurants. On-site you can benefit from a Finnish sauna and a steam bath, as well as trendsetting gym equipment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Henri Hotel Hamburg Downtown
15. TORTUE HAMBURG – Schöner als die Fantasi – an upscale and top-rated boutique hotel with an arty and relaxed feeling
Tortue sets out to impress with a dimly lit, arty lobby dotted with comfortable sofas where you can indulge in a fancy welcome drink.
A large fireplace, bold artwork, and a romantic tone constitute the slick, sophisticated interiors, which were inspired by hip-style creatives.
The guestrooms feature high ceilings, balconies, and plush box-spring beds, and come with spaces to work, a free minibar, and coffee/tea-making facilities.
Another standout feature is the bathrooms, with white tiled floors and rectangular sink units adding an industrial flair.
A charming in-house brasserie with an open kitchen serves German-inspired French cuisine, and across the cobbled courtyard you will find a whole host of eclectic restaurants.
- To book, check prices or availability for TORTUE HAMBURG
16. INNSiDE by Meliá Hamburg Hafen – a trendy and cosmopolitan boutique hotel in a great location
Innovative in design, INNSiDE is a cosmopolitan boutique hotel located within one of central Hamburg’s most attractive areas, catered to both business and leisure travellers.
A refined, minimalist design characterizes the guestrooms, which exude comfort through soft fabrics, plush linens, and first-rate amenities.
The hotel’s eclectic vibe is carried into its on-site dining experiences, which include a bright, modern restaurant with classic influences, and an urban hub serving skilfully made dishes on the banks of the River Elbe.
In addition, a charming sundeck terrace invites you to indulge in a crafted cocktail as you kick back in a swaying hammock.
- To book, check prices or availability for INNSiDE by Meliá Hamburg Hafen
17. Chez-Ronny – a kitsch, quirky and eccentric place to stay that offers comfort and a very unique experience
Situated directly on the Reeperbahn and half a kilometre from the Port of Hamburg, Chez-Ronny is brimming with eccentricity and is graced by a seductive tone sparked by a vibrant red lighting system.
The vivid colour scheme extends into the guestrooms, with idiosyncratic red curtains and headboards contrasting an array of modern décor.
The in-room flatscreens offer satellite channels, providing the true comforts of a home away from home. The character of this elegant townhouse can be relished from its graceful communal nooks, which are adorned with bespoke artwork and comfy lounge areas, where guests can help themselves to tea and coffee.
- To book, check prices or availability for Chez-Ronny
18. Hotel du Nord Alster – auf der Uhlenhorst – a cool, creative and contemporary boutique hotel with flair set amongst Art Nouveau buildings
Located only 5 minutes from the Außenalster Lake, Hotel du Nord Alster is a unique hospitality concept combining Hanseatic flair with an Avant-Garde edge, and invites you to an environment which emphasizes comfort and service.
The surrounding area of Uhlenhorst is teeming with Art Nouveau buildings, individual boutiques, and a bountiful variety of bars, cafés, and restaurants.
Inside, powdery teal blue beautifully contrasts the radiant saffron and vivid velvet, with hand-chosen designer pieces forming a quirky, hip interior aesthetic.
The guestrooms are decorated with high-quality furnishings including box-spring beds, and intelligent wardrobe systems offering plenty of storage space.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel du Nord Alster
19. Aspria Hamburg Uhlenhorst – a gorgeous urban retreat with a spa perfect for those that like to combine wellness and health with luxury
Sport and luxury go hand in hand at Aspria, an urban retreat boasting expansive indoor and outdoor facilities. Located on the former site of a Tennis and Hockey Club, the property is secluded within 18,000 m² of gardens, and represents a vision of enhancing the quality of life.
This 48-room boutique is attached to Hamburg’s most exclusive health club, and offers a spa area characterized by the unique power of natural, essential oils.
The hotel is dotted by lush, manicured green areas, a handful of relaxation pools, and tennis courts, invigorating a sense of vitality in every corner.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aspria Hamburg Uhlenhorst
20. Sir Nikolai Hotel – an elegant and classically chic boutique hotel in a peaceful location
Peacefully located on a quaint street between Hamburg’s Altstadt and HafenCity areas, Sir Nikolai is a sassy boutique hotel emanating a distinctly cosmopolitan vibe.
High attention to detail has given a chic flair to the public areas, with comfy sofas and Sika armchairs from Brabbu offset by a cosy fireplace and glamorous artistry.
The hotel boasts a glass-roofed courtyard, as well as a swanky Asian kitchen & bar, which presents stunning panoramas over the canal.
A quirky, stylish mix of décor complemented by custom-made furniture fills the guestrooms with a unique charm, while Bluetooth Marshall speakers and branded coffee machines enhance a sense of luxury.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sir Nikolai Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
- Cool boutique hotels in Munich
- Cool boutique hotels in Colonge
- Cool boutique hotels in Regensburg
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool boutique hotels in Amsterdam
- Cool boutique hotels in Brussels
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Frankfurt
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Dresden
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Stuttgart
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.