Home to one of Europe’s most beautiful Old-Town centres, Innsbruck is the capital of Austria’s Tirol region and is renowned worldwide for its tremendous history as a winter sports haven.
Cradled beneath the craggy peaks of the Austrian Alps, Innsbruck translates to ‘bridge over the inn’, paying homage to its origins straddling both sides of the Inn River.
Innsbruck scores both as a showcase for Habsburg Empire traditions and as an Alpine playground, and it also offers some of Central Europe’s most character-filled hotels. From slope-side boutiques to inner-city heritage buildings, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Innsbruck, Austria (in no particular order)…
1. ADLERS Hotel Innsbruck – an urban, elegant and lifestyle hotel providing guests with Instagrammable views overlooking the city and mountains
Set in the backdrop of the city and the mountains, The Adlers reflects the alpine-urban essence that makes Innsbruck so unique. As a guest, the whole of Innsbruck and Tyrol lies at your fingertips.
Here, you can revel in the special flair of a supreme lifestyle destination, as you take the elevator up to the 12th floor and soak up the breathtaking panoramas over Innsbruck’s many glittering buildings.
The themed interior is steeped in an elegant design which radiates into the 75 guestrooms through a vibrant lighting system and plush furniture. Let your soul be rejuvenated at the on-site spa, which offers two saunas and a complete range of massage treatments.
- To book, check prices or availability for ADLERS Hotel Innsbruck
2. Hotel Innsbruck – a charming, stylish and cosy hotel featuring a spa and wellness area overlooking the Old Town
Combining the majestic tranquillity of the Austrian Alps with the vibrations of a metropolis, Hotel Innsbruck reflects the city’s charm through a stylish design.
Built on the foundations of the former city wall, here you will feel the magic of Innsbruck, especially in the guestrooms where high-quality materials ornate the unique interplay of urbanity and nature.
After an afternoon of sightseeing, you can relax in the 400 m² spa area, the largest of all city hotels in Innsbruck. From gentle warmth to Finnish heat, this is a spot where body and mind come into perfect balance, helping you to blissfully reenergize.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Innsbruck
3. Nala Individuellhotel – a new, unique and hip boutique hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
This design-forward hotel reveals a razor-sharp eye for detail, steeped in an urban-cool vibe filled with bright, stylish textures.
The 1950’s structure has received a pooling of creativity to create a playful ambiance, in the form of eye-catching lighting, decadent tiles, and a vintage mix of old and new décor. Each room features a large mural of the namesake Nala, a primordia mother figure.
In-room designs include mosaic embellishments, dark parquet flooring, and minimalistic monochrome hues, while the mountain-facing balconies invite nature’s beaming presence. Here you will find many chillout/work spaces, and a garden hemmed in by ivy-draped walls and gorgeous lanterns.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nala Individuellhotel
4. Hotel Grauer Bär – a trendy, bright and urban hotel within walking distance of popular local attractions
Boasting an unrivalled inner-city location in the immediate vicinity of the Golden Roof and the Imperial Palace, Hotel Grauer Bär is the perfect starting point for strollers and explorers.
The guestrooms provide a peaceful urban retreat, topped with panoramic windows that bring the Tyrolean mountains into clear focus.
On the 5th floor, you can take advantage of the 45 m² panoramic swimming pool with counter-current system, which combines the essence of well-being with a tremendous view.
The hotel offers various packages, meaning as well as an elegant guestroom you can benefit from exquisite dining and a pass to the nearby ski slopes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Grauer Bär
5. Rufi’s Hotel Innsbruck – a quiet, classic and vibrant hotel with a relaxing on-site bar serving wines selected from across Austria and Italy
Rufi’s Hotel offers a unique customer experience, guiding you to fully concentrate on well-being and leave the stresses of life behind.
The hotel is very well connected at the West gate of the Tyrolean capital, and offers check-in via app to promote a sense of functionality.
The rooms are presented in an elegant light, appealing to couples seeking a romantic weekend for two as well as families in need of a large respite space.
Each in-room flat-screen TV offers screen mirroring capabilities, allowing you to soak up the comforts of home from the heart of the Alps. The in-house restaurant and bar both offer a modern twist to an eclectic setting, and invite the majesty of Innsbruck to set the tone for an exciting evening.
- To book, check prices or availability for Rufi’s Hotel Innsbruck
6. Weisses Rössl – a historic, rustic and traditional hotel located in the center of Innsbruck’s Old Town
Experience the flair of the Middle Ages at this eclectic Innsbruck gem. Family run for over 100 years, this typical Austrian inn has evolved into a feel-good place for discerning travellers, and integrates modern living with Tyrolean cosiness.
Surrounded by walls steeped in history, the spacious rooms are the perfect oasis of comfort for you to relax and linger in.
The finest alpine specialities are served in the cosy parlours of the restaurant, as well as on the beautiful sun terrace. By night, you can unwind in the medieval vaulted cellar bar, which offers a romantic & rustic vibe to complement its fine range of crafted drinks.
- To book, check prices or availability for Weisses Rössl
7. Altstadthotel Weißes Kreuz – In der Fußgängerzone – a newly renovated, contemporary and trendy accommodation steps away from the famous Golden Roof
What was a meeting place for well-known personalities since 1465 is now a blissful blend of chic, baroque, and elegance, in the form of a new hotel concept.
Set within ancient walls, Altstadthotel Weißes Kreuz welcomes you to the old town of Innsbruck, with 48 individually designed chambers dressed in vivid colours and adorned with cosy patios or balconies.
Special accommodations include ‘The Golden Roof’ which boasts once-in-a-life-time views, and the ‘Mozart Suite’ which features its own billiard table and housed the eponymous composer in 1769. The hotel’s loft bar ‘The Blue Brigitte’ offers a brand-new perspective, and serves exquisite regional desires.
- To book, check prices or availability for Altstadthotel Weißes Kreuz – In der Fußgängerzone
8. STAGE 12 Hotel by Penz – an elegant, modern and stylish accommodation located in the heart of Innsbruck
The strapline of ‘Sleep, Drink, Love’ gives you an inkling into the playfully urban ambiance at Stage 12, which offers pop-up views of the Alps from slick, glass-walled rooms.
As you pass through the vaulted tunnel into the garden courtyard, you will be greeted by an easy-going, intimate mood, which extends into the 120 guestrooms.
The solid oak parquet floors and fine linens are complemented by lampshades embellished with hummingbirds, and the neutral colours exude a chic sophistication from the minute you walk in.
The breakfast is served in a bistro-style room with globe lights, and the cracking cocktail bar is decorated with sapphire-blue velvet sofas and terrace seating areas, making for a refined social experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for STAGE 12 Hotel by Penz
9. The PENZ Hotel – one of the first design hotels in Innsbruck offering guests an upscale, modern and fancy stay
Embodying an air of timeless elegance, The PENZ Hotel is housed in a modern building complex of the Rathaus Galerie, and complements its international architecture with a sophisticated interior design.
Handpicked and crafted décor adorns the property, while in-room furnishings can be adapted to the wishes and needs of guests.
The stunning 5th-floor American rooftop bar offers sweeping views over the city, and is the perfect spot to mingle with like-minded travellers after exploring the very best of Innsbruck. Only a few steps separate you from Innsbruck’s Old Town, as well as the ski slope, enhancing your stay with a sense of optimum convenience.
- To book, check prices or availability for The PENZ Hotel
10. Marktbar Studios – a hip, cool and vibrant boutique accommodation perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Within a few steps from the Marktbar Studios you will find yourself sipping cocktails in the market square sun, or dancing through the vibrant streets of the old town.
A step further and you will be nestled within the stunning mountains. The hotel offers views of the colourful Maria-Hilfer-Ufer, the city’s most Instagrammable spot.
The Green Earth sleeping system of the guestrooms is 100% natural, with upcycling furniture adding a classy flair. The hotel’s check-in system is carried out through a simple code sent straight to your mobile – One of the many tech-forward initiatives adopted by this vibrant boutique haven.
- To book, check prices or availability for Marktbar Studios
11. Faktorei – a beautiful, chic and historic accommodation where guests can enjoy a homemade breakfast made from regional and organic ingredients
This 15th-century townhouse has been lovingly restored, with pieces of its storied past etched into the fabric of the hotel.
Now a graceful boutique with 12 exquisitely furnished rooms, a blissful combination of nature, sustainability, and quality is echoed.
This vision radiates into the on-site café, where you can be spoiled with organic, seasonal, and regional products for breakfast, and a sparkling gin and tonic in the evening.
A unique feature of the hotel is the loudspeakers from the Vienna Loudspeaker Manufactory, which brings the Philharmonic into each guestroom.
The bathrooms are decked out with organic care products from the Tryol region, complementing the expansive walk-in rainfall showers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Faktorei
12. Alp Art Hotel Götzens – a unique, traditional and quirky accommodation in close proximity to hiking and skiing areas
Situated on the sunny plateau of the Western low mountain range, surrounded by a plethora of skiing and hiking areas, this unique Götzens destination is a treat for the senses, and a step into the world of nature.
Brimming with that feel-good factor, Alp Art Hotel evokes a blend of tradition and modernity, greeting guests with a tailor-made, memorable alpine break.
Having recently undergone a complete renovation, the dreamlike rooms boast panoramic views, and quirky décor embellishes the interiors.
The artfully painted rustic furniture complements the Tyrolean natural materials in a creative fusion of sophistication, making this property a perfect choice for an inspiring visit to Innsbruck.
- To book, check prices or availability for Alp Art Hotel Götzens
We also have posts on…
- Cool and unusual hotels in Kitzbuhel
- Cool and unusual hotels in Ischgl
- Cool and unusual hotels in The Dolomites
- Cool and unusual hotels in Mayrhofen
- Cool and unusual hotels in Vienna
- Cool and unusual hotels in Munich
- Cool and unusual hotels in Prague
- Cool and unusual hotels in Zermatt
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St Anton
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Interlaken
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Salzburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lech
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cortina
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Les Portes du Soleil
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Graz
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Basel
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.