A magical destination for sun-seeking travellers, Isla Mujeres offers tropical isolation off the coast of Cancún. This stunning island is only 5 miles long, and its quaint villages are lined by bright-coloured buildings which enhance the effervescence of the natural surroundings.
Known for its slow island pace, its crystal-clear turquoise waters, and some of the Mexican Caribbean’s friendliest locals, this balmy vacation haven has created a delightful community of artists, adventurists, and beach lovers.
The accommodation options that dot this pristine island range from quaint, secluded boutiques to high-end luxury resorts. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Isla Mujeres, Mexico (in no particular order)...
1. Secrets Impression Isla Mujeres – Adults Only – All Inclusive – an Instagrammable, upscale boutique resort providing guests with picturesque panoramic views
Inviting you to discover Mexico through a new lens, this exquisite island sanctuary is teeming with serenity, exclusivity, and all-inclusive luxury in all of its open spaces.
Secrets Impression is a place where privacy abounds, adventure is nurtured, and the lust for life takes over. The opulent suites provide amenities tailored to your preferences, while a dedicated butler is on hand to relinquish all your concerns.
The resort features idyllic sunset spots, 360-degree views from a rooftop terrace, and overwater torch-lit cabanas, offering plenty of areas to kick back and relish the tranquillity.
When you’re ready for a dip, the only thing in between you and the azure ocean is a polished four-story waterslide!
- To book, check prices or availability for Secrets Impression Isla Mujeres – Adults Only – All Inclusive
2. Hotel Beló Isla Mujeres – a new, modern and elegant hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Reflecting the allure of nature, this newly opened beachfront resort unlocks the door to a supreme stretch of shoreline, and guides guests to revel in the mystical and paradisiacal beauty of the Mexican Caribbean.
A harmonious atmosphere of music, decoration, and seasoning radiates through this eclectic resort. The 65 equipped guestrooms are individually designed to embrace stunning views of the island, and are decorated with porcelain and marble floors which beautifully contrast the fine wood furniture.
The resort’s pool bar ‘The Palm’ is the idyllic spot to enjoy a refreshing crafted cocktail alongside exquisite flavours, textures, and aromas.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Beló Isla Mujeres
3. Lotus Beach Hotel – Adults Only – a unique, contemporary and trendy hotel where guests can enjoy a fine dining experience
Chosen by travellers as the Number 1 hotel in Isla Mujeres in 2021 and 2022, Lotus Beach offers a truly boutique experience on the island’s North Beach.
Honouring a deep-rooted responsibility of creating a better world, Lotus boasts a unique design concept steeped in traditional elements and contemporary flair, gearing guests up for a trip-of-a-lifetime whilst leaving a small footprint.
The 6 exclusive suites are inspired by the seven chakras (points of energy of the human body), with bespoke colour schemes and small decorative touches alluding to them.
The hotel also believes in the power of good food and drink, and embodies this in the on-site refined eatery.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lotus Beach Hotel – Adults Only
4. Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun – All Inclusive – an award-winning, beautiful and lavish resort where guests can experience a world class stay
Prepare to be enveloped by natural beauty in the privileged setting of the Zoetry Villas. Originally opening as a restaurant on the exclusive Sac Bajo Peninsula, the resort has preserved the authenticity of its culinary beginnings whilst becoming one of Mexico’s most sought-after all-inclusive resorts.
Inspiring guests into a deep sense of well-being, the serene tone is set with the private yacht transfer to the resort’s pier, and enhanced through thoughtful, tropical touches.
Around the property, marble features and stunning Caribbean views add an air of elegance, which extends into the 35 luxury suites situated a stone’s throw from a gorgeous private beach.
- To book, check prices or availability for Zoetry Villa Rolandi Isla Mujeres Cancun – All Inclusive
5. Privilege Aluxes Adults Only – an exclusive, tranquil and stylish hotel perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
This contemporary resort is the idyllic option for a romantic getaway or an adults-only retreat in one of the Caribbean’s most enchanting destinations.
Privilege Aluxes is decked out with upscale trimmings, from polished marble and Mid-Century furniture in the lobby, to the embroidered throw pillows and coral centrepieces around the property.
This soothing hotel is constructed around a central courtyard, and is characterized by wide open spaces designed for ultimate relaxation.
The bright and comfortable guestrooms and suites blend a modern design with the tranquil atmosphere of the island, topped with plush bedding to send you off into a blissful night’s sleep
- To book, check prices or availability for Privilege Aluxes Adults Only
6. Selina Poc Na Isla Mujeres – a cool, hip and unique accommodation perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs A sensory experience awaits at Selina, a graceful boutique draped in authentic artwork and cosy island-style décor. The hip-trendy communal areas offer an open-air ambiance, complementing the ‘Cabin Retreat’ style reflected by the lush, wooden hues.
This unique travellers haven is replete with a cocktail bar, a seafood restaurant, a library zone, and a cinema room, offering quirky spots to kick back and relax.
An outdoor pool area provides peaceful moments to connect with nature, while the IDC Scuba Instructor Certification Centre offers unforgettable opportunities to explore the abundance of wildlife off the nearby coast.
Further on-site activities include yoga, cloth aerobics, live music at night, and some of the island’s most epic beach parties.
- To book, check prices or availability for Selina Poc Na Isla Mujeres
7. Icaco Island Village – Adults Only – an upscale, chic boutique hotel steps away from Isla Mujeres Beach
Offering an idyllic haven for romance, this graceful boutique hotel exudes a spirit of barefoot luxury, and its blissful white architecture blends elegantly with the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea.
Adorned with boho chic cushions and opulent beach-style décor, Icaco Island Village’s large open spaces are teeming with coastal charm. All guestrooms, dressed in a trendy hip style, nurture optimum comfort through plush linens and cosy amenities.
A charming sun terrace offers once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for a perfect photo shoot, and boasts a pool area which overlooks the crashing waves. A stay at this gorgeous resort puts you within a few steps of the majestic Isla Mujeres Beach.
- To book, check prices or availability for Icaco Island Village – Adults Only
8. Punta Blanca Eco-Luxury Beach House – a vibrant, stylish and modern resort in close proximity to local attractions
Radiating the essence of barefoot luxury, this eco-conscious resort boasts some of the island’s most Instagrammable backdrops, from a palm-fringed private beach area dotted with sun loungers, to the character-filled pool area.
Designed to elevate your vacation experience through thatched-roofed hangout spaces and opulent dining experiences, Punta Blanca is the perfect spot to soak up the warm Isla Mujeres ambiance.
An on-site restaurant caters to the inquisitive traveller, and adds a unique touch to island dishes, grounded in locally sourced ingredients. The Beach House’s amiable staff presence makes you feel at home from the outset, and offers 24-hour front desk services.
- To book, check prices or availability for Punta Blanca Eco-Luxury Beach House
9. Tres Mentiras Boutique Rooms – a quirky, themed and fun accommodation located in the heart of downtown Isla Mujeres
Coalescing a boho-chic style with a boutique ambiance, Tres Mentiras offers 6 elegantly designed guestrooms each with their own distinct details.
The rooms are dressed in handicrafts and folk art, with each space representing 6 states in Mexico: Oaxaca, Puebla, Chiapas, Jalisco, Yucatan, and Quintana Roo. As you wake up to the natural landscapes and coastal splendour of Isla Mujeres, a beautiful rooftop terrace awaits you with the perfect coffee spot.
From here, you can people watch over the main pedestrian street, Avenida Hidalgo. When the sun is at its strongest, you can take shade under the new pergola as you rest on comfy furniture from Valladolid.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tres Mentiras Boutique Rooms
10. Nomads Hotel & Beachclub – a hip, rustic-chic and cozy accommodation that hosts daily social events and activities
Setting a new standard in nomad living, this charming hotel has plenty of perks to keep guests happy, including a seaside pool-bar and a white sandy beach dotted with sunbeds and hammocks.
A quirky palm-ridden hangout area offers exceptional sunset views, and is the perfect spot to share stories and mingle with like-minded travellers.
All the dorm rooms and privates are clean and cosy, with every detail paying homage to mother nature in some way. Nomads Hotel & Beach Club caters to the digital nomad and the budget-conscious jetsetter, offering a safe haven steeped in a quirky backpacker charm.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nomads Hotel & Beach Club
11. Casa Alkimia Town – a trendy, Mediterranean-inspired and elegant accommodation within walking distance of the main street and beaches
Inspired by Mediterranean traditions and North African charm, Casa Alkimia Town is a family-driven project situated only a few steps from some of the most eclectic restaurants and boutique cafés on the island.
The hotel embellishes its gorgeous architecture with oriental decorative elements, and offers bountiful hangout spots both indoor and outdoor.
The 7 guestrooms combine a minimalist ambiance with tropical trappings and soft green hues, whilst embracing the island’s unique vibe through private balconies offering sea views. There is also a rooftop area equipped with a lush swimming pool, where 360 degree coastal panoramas can be relished.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Alkimia Town
12. Hotel Secreto – a charming, quiet and contemporary accommodation featuring an on-site spa
At Hotel Secreto, the clue lies in the name. Nestled in a cove on the quietest corner of Isla Mujeres, this northern gem is truly hidden, offering a refined sense of seclusion.
Its exterior evokes the style of a slick private beach house, through award-winning design work which sees regular upgrades and renovations. A 20-metre lap pool is ready to delight guests with a soak in the tropical splendour of the island’s Northern tip, and is dotted by alluring sunbeds.
Having regularly featured in magazine awards, this enchanting boutique hotel has earned rave recognition in Mexico’s tourism scene, owing to the high levels of care and detail put into its maintenance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Secreto
We also have posts on…
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Cancun
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Playa del Carmen
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Jamaica
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Bermuda
- Cool Boutique Hotels in The Bahamas
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Barbados
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Maui
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tulum
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Isla Holbox
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mexico City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Costa Rica
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.