Kefalonia is the largest and most mountainous island in the Ionian Sea, and its wild beauty & cosmopolitan character enchant its visitors from the very first moment they arrive.
Famed for its dazzling coastline beautified by limestone cliffs, pretty coves, and spectacular sunsets, Kefalonia is a paradise for hikers, beachgoers, and romantic holidaymakers alike.
Besides its natural splendour, Kefalonia is also home to some gorgeous examples of Venetian architecture, and many ravishing harbour-front villages.
Dotted around the island are some of Europe’s most glamorous hotels, which range from quaint hilltop boutiques to beachfront, palm-fringed resorts. Having explored Kefalonia countless times, I have put together a list of my favourite cool and unusual hotels on the island (in no particular order)...
1. Thalassa Boutique Hotel – Adults Only – a unique, contemporary and very Instagrammable boutique hotel moments away from an array of restaurants and bars
Prepare to be whisked into a world of barefoot luxury at this eclectic boutique hotel, situated a mere few minutes’ drive from the island’s capital, Argostoli.
This is the perfect option for couples in pursuit of a dreamy retreat, and its setting next to the famous Makris Gialos beach dials the romantic feeling up a notch. Our room allowed us to surrender to the rhythms of island life through the most scintillating sea views, and each morning began with a delicious and aromatic traditional Greek breakfast.
Wandering through the breezy olive groves to the shimmering swimming pool each afternoon provided copious moments of serenity at this seaside haven.
- To book, check prices or availability for Thalassa Boutique Hotel – Adults Only
2. White Rocks Hotel Kefalonia – one of the most romantic and beautiful modern hotels on the island where guests can experience a peaceful, spacious and lavish stay
Overlooking the sandy beach of Platis Gialos, this stunning waterfront sanctuary provides leading hospitality services, and comprises of 161 rooms, bungalows, and suites.
The property is situated in the midst of natural and picturesque surroundings, and the artistic design exudes a contemporary feel. An airy and breezy atmosphere permeates the entire resort. This can be felt in the two eclectic restaurants, as well as around the glistening freshwater pool which provides an oasis of calm and relaxation.
Just a few strokes or a short rib-boat ride away lands you at the divine White Rocks secluded beaches, where I spent many hours revelling in unspoiled natural beauty.
- To book, check prices or availability for White Rocks Hotel Kefalonia
3. Avithos Resort Hotel – an idyllic, charming, chic and Instagrammable accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
The airy presence of this stunning boutique hotel is enclosed within an evergreen expanse of olive groves and cypress trees, which swarms with intimacy and tranquillity.
The property consists of 17 buildings – I personally thought it felt more like a small neighbourhood than a hotel. The supreme location in the quaint area of Svoronata yet only a 15-minute drive from the island’s capital Argostoli, brings guests the ideal blend of convenience and beauty.
Whether you choose to lounge by the shimmering pools, explore the nearby coasts, or take a rest in your beautiful studio, a stay at Avithos will be characterized by warmth, vitality, and serenity. My room was evidently inspired by the gorgeous surrounding landscape, and it came with a graceful balcony overlooking lush island vegetation.
- To book, check prices or availability for Avithos Resort Hotel
4. Emelisse Nature Resort – a stylish, modern and very Instaworthy resort within walking distance of Fiskardo
A classy combo of health resort and family-friendly holiday village, Emelisse is a blissful retreat perfectly placed on Kefalonia’s ravishing northern coast.
A short walk will land you at the fashionable Fiskardo, and the turquoise waters of the white shingly beach Emplisi. The ochre-painted, cliff top houses have caught my eye every time I have visited the area, and staying here exceeded all of my expectations. Each house is set in evergreen gardens of cypress and cedar trees, and linked by a maze of pebbled paths.
I thought the Balinese-style furniture, the ambient lighting systems, and the exquisite art collections fused together to exude an atmosphere of refined elegance and glamour.
- To book, check prices or availability for Emelisse Nature Resort
5. Kefalonian Escape Suites – a secluded, stylish and tranquil accommodation where guests can hire bikes to explore around the area
Here we have a luxury haven surrounded by the harmonic cacophony of wild birdsong, the lapping of the waves, and the swaying of trees.
The sleek infinity pool blends seamlessly into the natural surroundings, offering a soul-soothing experience under the warmth of the Ionian sun. The minimal contemporary architecture was designed to maximize the infinite views, which are most apparent in the elegantly appointed suites.
Having a hearty breakfast delivered to our suite each morning was a wonderful touch, and throughout the day, a selection of snacks and locally inspired produce can be savoured in the property’s many charming communal spaces.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kefalonian Escape Suites
6. Kefalonia Grand – a cool, lavish and trendy boutique hotel in a location perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Situated in the vibrant Argostoli, this graceful boutique hotel draws its inspiration from Kefalonia’s incredible history, and for me it is one of the island’s coolest luxury hotels.
The elegance of a bygone era is paired with the comforts of a high-end modern abode, topped with impeccable services than guarantee to charm even the most seasoned visitors.
The Mediterranean-chic ambience embodies a sense of discreet luxury, whisking guests away to a world of tranquillity, sophistication, and indulgence. The mouth-watering menu at the open-air restaurant incorporates the freshest local ingredients into regional flavours, and is enhanced with a creative twist.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kefalonia Grand
7. Petani Bay Hotel – Adults Only – a unique, intimate and cool boutique hotel where guests can enjoy the luxury of an award-winning infinity pool
Set before breathtaking views of the turquoise Ionian Sea, this peaceful island retreat embodies the genuine essence of Greek hospitality.
All the suites have added a modern twist to the boutique setting, with charming décor designed to ooze that lovely island feel. Natural light beams through all the communal spaces, and the open-air pool bar offers a tranquil environment to savour delicious local dishes.
Embarking on private speedboat tours to nearby island’s was an unforgettable experience, and taking refreshing dives into the award-winning on-site infinity pool was equally as majestic. Each evening, I experienced nature’s magnitude unfolding as a thousand different shades burst into the sky and the day turned to night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Petani Bay Hotel – Adults Only
8. Canale Hotel & Suites – a sophisticated, relaxing, beautiful and very private accommodation ideally located near the centre of Argostoli
Canale Hotel exemplifies the authentic essence of exclusive moments, and is beautifully perched on the seafront in Argostoli. Sophistication, elegance, and relaxation harmonize at this upscale 4-star boutique, resulting in an atmosphere of uncompromising opulence.
The high-end architectural presence, and the smart in-room technology combine to immerse you in maximum luxury here, topped with a tailor-made service.
I thought the OLY Lounge Bar was the epitome of Kefalonian charm, and it is the perfect spot to savour a pre-dinner cocktail in the backdrop of the Ionian Sea. The pool area also blends gracefully with the azure waters of the ocean, offering a graceful spot to embrace those lazy afternoons.
- To book, check prices or availability for Canale Hotel & Suites
9. Electra Kefalonia Hotel & Spa – chic, upscale and stylish accommodation providing guests with a delicious complimentary continental or buffet breakfast each morning
Overlooking the sea and the most majestic of sunsets, Electra is the perfect spot to experience first-hand the beauty of Kefalonia and the Ionian Sea.
Modern minimalism is married elegantly with eclectic, subdued traditional references throughout the property, forming a graceful aesthetic than blends impeccably into the natural surroundings.
From the minute I entered, it was clear to me that every detail has been conceived with absolute comfort in mind, from the intimate spa & wellness facilities to the blissful guestrooms, and the creative Mediterranean menus at the on-site restaurant. To top it off, every angle of the hotel is graced by breath-taking views of the azure ocean.
- To book, check prices or availability for Electra Kefalonia Hotel & Spa
10. Costa Rossa Boutique Hotel – Adults Only – a stunning, vibrant and elegant hotel located directly on the beach
This lavish boutique combines traditional architecture with a modern vibe, and its light-filled interiors exude elegance. A standout feature here for me was the gastronomy.
You can take your pick from a charming poolside snack bar, a jaw-dropping sea deck, or the eclectic restaurant ‘C-Blue’. Within these eateries you will find the freshest ingredients, many of which are grown within the fruitful surrounds, and are incorporated into dishes embodying the very best of Greek & Mediterranean cuisine.
Our room featured a private veranda overlooking the azure waters of the Ionian, and was decorated with high-quality materials exuding discreet luxury.
- To book, check prices or availability for Costa Rossa Boutique Hotel – Adults Only
11. Apollonion Asterias Resort and Spa – a new, trendy and elegant resort featuring three swimming pools, a fitness centre and wellness area
Lying in a land of 67 acres in the gorgeous Peninsula of Palliki, this magnificent hotel is surrounded by verdant landscape overlooking the dazzling waters of the Ionian Sea.
It is the perfect spot for a family holiday, with many activities taking place around the two pool areas, and bountiful opportunities for adults to enjoy cocktails, snacks, and refreshing beverages by the pool bars.
This soul-stirring hotel was the source of some of my favourite ever Greek meals, and my number one spot was the roof garden, where the breathtaking views and the aroma of local herbs left me with life-lasting memories.
- To book, check prices or availability for Apollonion Asterias Resort and Spa
12. Tesoro Blu Hotel & Spa Adults Only – a sleek, new and vibrant hotel in close proximity to the heart of Skala
This elegant boutique is as stylish as it gets. The cubed buildings and angular glass balconies which greet you on arrival immediately set the tone for a heart-wrenching vacation.
A step inside meets you with minimalist works, neutral shades, and floor-to-ceiling windows which invite bountiful natural light to infuse the interiors. The resort is nestled in a sloping valley, with a shingle beach on its doorstep.
We thoroughly enjoyed swimming in the lounger-dotted, palm-fringed turquoise pool, and playing tennis on the beautiful blue courts surrounded by verdant landscapes. Our room came with a private plunge pool, and the in-room furnishings evoked a genuine sense of luxury.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tesoro Blu Hotel & Spa Adults Only
13. F Zeen – a trendy, unique and lifestyle retreat with an Insta-worthy design perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs to enjoy a rejuvenating stay
Set in its own verdant grounds draped across a hillside in the shadow of Mount Aenos, F Zeen is one of the most laid-back hotels I have ever stayed in on the island of Kefalonia.
The simply furnished but astoundingly lavish guestrooms, the natural healing spa, the yoga decks, and the relaxing outdoor areas all emphasised the essence of nature and relaxation. This was further enhanced by the three gorgeous pools situated in fragrant gardens, all backdropped by panoramic views of the Ionian Sea.
Bordered by banks of olives, lemons, cypress, and bougainvillea, the super-comfy loungers on the decks and pool terraces gave me little reason to ever venture outside the property.
- To book, check prices or availability for F Zeen
14. Meliti Waterfront Suites – a bright, chic and contemporary accommodation steps away from the ocean
Set on a stunning stretch of shoreline, Meliti is a collection of luxury suites doused in heart-stirring panoramas, each inspired by the island’s scents and diverse flora.
A sense of relaxation is conveyed across all the interiors, through a soothing colour palette, modish décor, and comforting amenities that induce a state of peacefulness.
The glistening outdoor swimming pool provided me with endless moments of serenity, and was a welcome alternative to the nearby beaches during those lazy days. My suite, elegant and functional, came with a commodious living room space, as well as a fully equipped kitchen area.
- To book, check prices or availability for Meliti Waterfront Suites
15. Celestial Hotel – one of the best hotels in Kefalonia surrounded by picturesque scenery, offering a fashionable, sleek and boutique stay
A true journey of the senses, Celestial Hotel is a place where inspiration comes alive, and the surrounding green forest of Mousata provides a pristine natural setting.
This design-led oasis is adorned with modern amenities, catering to well-seasoned adventurers and discerning jetsetters. A carefree spirit is emanated throughout the property’s lush grounds, reminiscing of its unique location.
My stay was spent taking relaxing walks along the nearby beaches, hanging out by the shimmering pool, and chatting with the friendly locals while discovering more about the rich culture of Kefalonia.
An understated chic vibe suffuses the guestrooms, where eclectic furnishings, light textures, and vivid colours radiate a bespoke boutique ambiance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Celestial Hotel
16. The “L” Suites & Apartments – a spacious, petite and idyllic hotel offering guests BBQ nights with Greek music
Located right on the hill between Argostoli and Lassi, this awe-inspiring property is girdled by unobstructed sea and lagoon views, and the surrounds are festooned in flowers and palm trees.
Whether hanging out by the turquoise pool, relishing a delicious meal on the rooftop, or taking a welcome break in the many chill-out areas, every moment at this sun-drenched property exudes indulgence and intimacy.
The interiors are elegant and functional, and are dressed in a glamorous boutique style. There is a charming bar which features a large plasma TV for sports matches, and serves crafted cocktails, snacks, and delicious ice creams.
- To book, check prices or availability for The “L” Suites & Apartments
17. Ionian Emerald Resort – a tranquil, modern and classic resort situated in a quiet village, ideal for a relaxing vacation
Set close to the port of Sami, and Ionian Emerald Resort oozes an atmosphere where warmth and fine taste swathe you from the minute you enter.
Graced by jaw-dropping panoramas in every corner, this luxury haven was the source of many unforgettable moments for my partner and I, with the extravagance of exclusive amenities enhancing the standard of comfort.
Soothing spa programmes, mouth-watering meals, blissful pool days, and direct access to beautiful beaches were just some of the reasons this hotel will forever remain in our hearts. Here, we felt both at home and on a once-in-a-lifetime vacation at the same time.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ionian Emerald Resort
18. Leivatho Hotel – a modern, design, award-winning and eco-friendly accommodation where guests can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views overlooking the ocean
This charming eco-friendly property caters to those seeking a rejuvenating green escape, and offers a true ‘home away from home’. I felt a family atmosphere upon entrance, owing to the bespoke Greek hospitality which complimented the whole host of trailblazing services.
During the stay, I enjoyed light meals by the pool and delicious coffees soundtracked by delicate lounge music, all graced by the beautiful aroma of flora. I was also assisted with arranging cheap car rental deals, which made exploring the island’s gems incredibly easy.
Within a short walking distance, you will find a gorgeous beach with crystalline waters, and a handful of peaceful taverns offering delicious local cuisine.
- To book, check prices or availability for Leivatho Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Santorini
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Crete
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Mykonos
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Zakynthos
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Corfu
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Cyprus
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Kos
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.