Situated just off the mainland shore, Key Largo – a beautiful and popular island in the Florida Keys – is the dive capital of the world and offers once-in-a-lifetime experiences for the eco-tourist. Home to the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park and a short trip away from the Everglades National Park, Key Largo can be as relaxing, romantic, or fun as you want it to be.
With a bohemian air and a reputation for its fresh food and an abundance of activities amid the turquoise gulf stream, Key Largo’s reef-ridden, dolphin-packed waters bring travellers to its gorgeous hotels year after year.
From quirky-chic boutiques to stunning oceanfront residences which have been the setting of movies, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Key Largo, Florida (in no particular order) …
1. Bungalows Key Largo – All Inclusive – unique, trendy and Instagrammable accommodation perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
If you are in need of an island oasis for a moment of downtime and disconnect, this intimate adults-only resort places you within a botanical garden edged by 1000 feet of ocean shoreline, just a short drive from the warm waters of the Gulf Stream.
The stage is set for you to effortlessly find your perfect paradise, through organic textures, natural materials, and soothing tropical hues.
These Bungalows are a true expression of the relaxed cabana lifestyle of Key Largo, pairing the perfect range of resort indulgences with opulent features and furnishings, while the private verandas beckon you to revel in the freedom of outdoor living.
A local bounty of food is served alongside epic views, from catch of the day seafood to bold Mexican flavours.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bungalows Key Largo – All Inclusive
2. Baker’s Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection By Hilton – an idyllic, tranquil and trendy-chic accommodation surrounded by lush scenery and nature trails
Boasting its very own private beach, at Baker’s Cay Resort guests can indulge in a wide range of water activities such as diving, parasailing and catamaran sailing.
This tranquil beachside getaway is embellished by nature-inspired textures and décor, backdropped by the Florida Bay, and encircled by lush resort grounds.
A sense of easy-going, relaxed comfort is evoked in all of the commodious guestrooms and suites, which feature private balconies, sustainable amenities, and modern conveniences.
A variety of culinary offerings executed by a highly talented team is offered, highlighting local seafood, and owing to the onsite herb and fruit gardens.
- To book, check prices or availability for Baker’s Cay Resort Key Largo, Curio Collection By Hilton
3. Playa Largo Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection – an upscale, modern and pet-friendly accommodation perfect for a relaxing coastal retreat
Situated elegantly within 14.5 acres of secluded beachfront, the property’s 178 luxury rooms, suites, and bungalows boast breathtaking, eco-rich island views, and modern key largo-style interiors.
The soft duvets and linens offer a blissful sleeping experience amidst a soundtrack of tropical breezes and crashing waves. The onsite Ocean Spa provides guests with a wide range of healing treatments, while the restaurants and bars offer delicious, island-inspired cuisine to accompany the hand-crafted cocktails.
Many of Key Largo’s most popular attractions, including the Theatre of the Sea, Dolphins Plus Bayside, and John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, are located just a stone’s throw away.
- To book, check prices or availability for Playa Largo Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
4. Reefhouse Resort and Marina – a stylish, modern and upscale accommodation overlooking the picturesque Key Largo Bay
This golden-sand oasis is a series of chic waterfront accommodations, thoughtfully designed to reflect the lush coastal setting. Blue- and sand-coloured accents coalesce beautifully with the abundance of natural light, and soft calming tones decorate the cosy fabrics.
Set across 17 acres of tropical island overlooking the postcard-worthy Bay, here you can enjoy private beach access, a waterfront spa, a heated outdoor pool, and exquisite dining experiences.
The onsite Breezer’s Tiki Bar offers panoramic bay views to accompany you whilst you sample delicious seafood. If you are looking for a memorable stay that captures the elegance of the Keys lifestyle, you have found your spot!
- To book, check prices or availability for Reefhouse Resort and Marina
5. Drift Hotel – a hip, contemporary, eco-friendly and cozy accommodation ideal for those ready to experience what Key Largo has to offer
Built purposefully for the eco-adventurer, Drift emanates the soulful, laid-back vibe of the Florida Keys. A source of amazing holiday stories, here you can simply tie your boat off at the dock, kick back at the firepit, and soak up the lush climate.
A gateway to world-class fishing and diving, the modern guestrooms take their design cues from the surrounding area, with organic textures mixed with shades of sand and driftwood, topped by touches of natural beauty.
Warm whites, sun-bleached woods, and drops of sea-inspired blue further radiate the carefree charm of the keys, and the contemporary, cosy spaces are the perfect spot to unwind after a day of blissful snorkelling.
- To book, check prices or availability for Drift Hotel
6. Gilbert’s Resort – a family-friendly, cool and newly renovated accommodation offering complimentary breakfast
Set on a stunning stretch of land where the gorgeous white sand fades into the turquoise waters of the gulf, Gilbert’s Resort provides the ideal mix of value, comfort, and convenience.
A budget-friendly resort with a keen eye on cutting-edge developments in the hospitality space, an array of tech-savvy amenities is offered to its lucky guests, including flat-screen TVs in each room, a refrigerator, and high-speed Wi-Fi.
The onsite Tiki Bar is one of the most popular seafood restaurants in Key Largo, however, a short drive will take you to other delicious dining experiences. The resort is dotted with peaceful chill-out areas shaded by palm trees, looking out onto a magnificent sunset.
- To book, check prices or availability for Gilbert’s Resort
7. Kona Kai Resort and Gallery – one of the most exclusive resorts where guests can enjoy an elegant, unique and magical stay
Here we have a magical hideaway teeming with natural beauty, hand polished into one of the most exclusive resorts in the Florida Keys.
Private and intimate, this restored 1940s adult-only tuckaway boasts 13 characterful guestrooms offering a refreshing, fanciful spot of respite drenched in natural light.
With a radiant charm of simplicity and elegance, the 100% cotton fabrics and original artwork make you feel at home.
This tranquil, aesthetic oasis has achieved its delightful ambience through exceptional attention to detail throughout the property, which is visible in the well-maintained exteriors which are characterised by tropical fruit trees and orchid gardens.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kona Kai Resort and Gallery
8. Coconut Palm Inn – a newly renovated, lavish and elegant accommodation nestled away on a quiet lagoon
Located on a quiet corner on the Southern tip of Key Largo, this award-winning property is one of Travel and Leisure’s annual ’40 Secret Hideaways’.
Its 450 feet of private beachfront offer stunning sunsets and its 19 lavishly appointed guestrooms each boast outdoor decks overlooking the Bay.
Casual, barefoot elegance is a prominent feature of these rooms! The hotel’s heated pool is bounded by signature coconut palms swaying in the gentle tropical breezes, offering the ultimate place to kick off your shoes and leave your cares behind.
You can arrive here by boat, as the gulf side location is situated within a naturally protected bay, making the marina an ideal place to dock.
- To book, check prices or availability for Coconut Palm Inn
9. Anchorage Resort – a waterfront, classic accommodation featuring tennis courts, a swimming pool and a hot tub
Overlooking Blackwater Sound from Jewfish Creek, this timeless resort, established in 1983, consists of 30 tropically furnished suites, each boasting a full kitchen, a private balcony, a queen-size fold-out sofa, and a dining table with 4 chairs.
For those of you who enjoy a bit of friendly competition, the resort offers opportunities for tennis, shuffleboard, pickleball, badminton, basketball, and beanbag toss.
Every guest is provided with a gas grill where you can cook up your own catch, however, if this isn’t for you, the resort staff are always on hand to guide you to world-class restaurants and entertainment in the nearby vicinity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Anchorage Resort
10. Island Bay Resort – a quirky-chic, vibrant, boutique accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Surround yourself in a tropical setting, within a quintessential palm-tree-lined oasis at Island Bay Resort. A relaxed beachfront vibe awaits you with bountiful opportunities to snorkel, steps from your own private haven.
Accommodations feature a kitchenette with a microwave, a fridge, and a stovetop. Combined with stunning views and an ocean ambiance, this resort will certainly leave lasting impressions.
The property also provides a barbeque, for peaceful evenings with family or friends. Located 17 km from Dolphin Cove, and 18 km from Key Largo Undersea Park, gorgeous day trips are a prominent feature of this spectacular, oceanfront resort.
- To book, check prices or availability for Island Bay Resort
11. Creekside Inn Islamorada – a chic, cozy and charming accommodation located in the heart of Florida Keys
The perfect base for enjoying the best of the Keys, a combination of spectacular views, full-service marinas, and unbeatable water sports are right on your doorstep!
Located just across the street from the Tavernier Creek Marina, all of your seafaring needs such as gas, watercraft rentals, and bait and tackle can be gathered within an arm’s reach. This serene, sunny inn boasts gorgeous views, and a deep-water dock where you can drop anchor right outside your room.
Each room is equipped with a modern kitchenette and brimming with guest-first touches. This allows you to kick back and relax amid island-style décor, a nautical colour palette, and premium linens.
- To book, check prices or availability for Creekside Inn Islamorada
12. Largo Resort – an upscale, petite, boutique accommodation featuring a private bayfront and sunset pier
Oozing an atmosphere of pure serenity, Largo Resort features a lush, turquoise outdoor swimming pool girdled by tall-standing palm trees.
With a lavish wooden walkway leading to the beach offering the perfect Instagrammable photo opportunities, you can finish your meal before peacefully wandering up to the azure waters for the sunset.
Reflecting a boutique feel inside, the optimum blend of nature and luxury brings guests back year after year. All rooms are fitted with a flat-screen TV with cable channels, a microwave, a coffee machine, and other high-end amenities to offer a peaceful reprieve.
Situated only 3 km from Dolphin Cove and 3.9 km from Key Large Undersea Park, a graceful array of tropical adventures awaits.
- To book, check prices or availability for Largo Resort
13. Amoray Dive Resort – tranquil and stylish accommodation ideal for those who love to snorkel and scuba dive
Located 2 miles from the snorkelling and boat tours at the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, Amoray Dive Resort is nestled within a charming array of Key West architecture and offers uniquely nautical condo-style comfort in the form of a dreamy retreat.
As one of the only gold standard dive resorts in the US, this stunning property is a plunge deep into adventurers’ paradise. Here, you can rent snorkels and head straight out to glimpse at marine life on the radiant, sandy seafloor, or catch a sunset cruise to admire the most golden sunsets in the world.
From the comfort of your room, you can soak in serene bayside views, making this resort a true spot of splendour and tranquillity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Amoray Dive Resort
14. Atlantic Bay Resort – a contemporary, chic and quiet accommodation featuring BBQ and fishing facilities
Idyllically situated on Florida Bay in Tavernier, the lush 3-acres of waterfront ground which hosts Atlantic Bay Resort greets you with the seclusion and privacy you crave from a tropical vacation.
From sunrise to sunset, the resort’s private beach offers a prime location to unwind, whilst soaking up the spectacular views of the Gulf of Mexico. Here, you can easily spot beautiful coral reefs, enjoy world-class backcountry and offshore fishing, or simply lounge around the opulent freshwater pool.
The hotel boasts 19 thoughtfully appointed accommodations, which can each house up to four persons. A stay here will grant you access to the waterfront tiki, a barbeque, and a private beach.
- To book, check prices or availability for Atlantic Bay Resort
If you are vacationing to the eco-friendly, deep blue Florida Keys, this standout boutique hotel provides a slide of serenity, amid purple orchids and swaying palms. Azul del Mar is a fan favourite in Key Largo, offering a tropical hideaway with an unmatched beauty.
The secluded private estate which houses the resort sits beneath lush tropical plants and colourful, butterfly-friendly flowers. The resort’s suites are inspired by natural beauty, and feature tropical, modern décor.
A kitchenette is provided in each room, complete with a mini-fridge, and well-furnished sitting areas with flat-screen TVs. Azul del Mar invites you to your own private paradise on a gorgeous island bound by lively coral reefs and world-famous sunsets.
- To book, check prices or availability for Azul del Mar
Founded in 1989, the Snappers is part of the furniture and folklore of the Conch Republic and has long attracted visitors due to its world-famous dining experience ‘Turtle Club’.
Here, guests can enjoy live music, followed by a unique drinking experience at the bar. Whether staying in the Beach Room, the Aqua Room, the Shipmates Room, or the Honeymoon Suite, you can guarantee a quirky hospitality experience topped with first-rate amenities.
Water sports equipment can be rented, with kayaking, paddleboarding, and jet skiing opportunities providing a memorable ocean vacation. John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park can be reached with a 40-minute bike ride through the tropical landscapes of Key Largo.
- To book, check prices or availability for Snappers Key Largo
17. The Pelican Key Largo Cottages – charming rustic-chic accommodation providing free kayaks and a close location to attractions
Committed to delivering an unforgettable experience, the laid-back atmosphere at The Pelican can be enjoyed whilst swaying in a hammock under the island sunshine or watching manatees and dolphins frolicking in the ocean.
Top-of-the-range diving, and snorkelling opportunities are a prominent feature of this unique resort, and if you are a boater, you can pull your boat right up to a wonderful stay, courtesy of the resort’s accessible boat ramp and two docks.
Each of the suites and cottages are individually designed in terms of size, character, colour, and layout. Moreover, the charm of the beautiful Florida Keys can be experienced from a private, intimate sand beach.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Pelican Key Largo Cottages
18. Dauboat – unique boat accommodation perfect for an alternative stay in Key Largo
Unique and magical, this boat is docked 2.8 km from Sombrero Beach, and features its very own restaurant, outdoor swimming pool, a picnic area, and a patio, as well as 24-hour front desk assistance.
Boasting one bedroom, this is the perfect vacation spot for a couple who simply wants to break free and bathe in the beauty of the Florida Keys in total seclusion.
Offering its very own barbeque, guests can cook up their own romantic dinner with uninterrupted views of the bay. Whilst this property is secluded, Dolphin Cove is only 5 km away, and you can benefit from a bicycle rental service to reach John Pennekamp State Park in less than 20 minutes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dauboat Key Largo
19. C-VOTED REMODELED UNIT! KAYAKs, MARINA – a trendy, lavish and chic accommodation featuring an on-site marina and private pool
This luxury townhouse is a unique Key Largo vacation home. Its natural, chic design emanates a charming atmosphere, owing to its vibrant colour scheme of grey, white, and nautical blue.
You can check out a tarpon feeding session at the saltwater lagoon directly outside your balcony, which also features picturesque views. A free golf cart is provided during your stay, giving you the opportunity to head down to the stunning course.
With world-renown snorkelling and scuba diving experiences within an arm’s reach, and a 400-foot jetty at the property, this remodelled unit provides the ultimate vacation experience for friends, couples, and families alike.
- To book, check prices or availability for C-VOTED REMODELED UNIT! KAYAKs, MARINA
This pool-view townhome is an exceptional community hideaway, with a stunning deck perfect for sunset alfresco dining. The apartment boasts two bedrooms and is designed with a private outdoor space, its very own seating areas, and other trendsetting amenities.
An outdoor pool and tennis courts provide exclusive areas to socialize, while kayaks can be taken down to the onsite marina to indulge in some water-based adventures.
A 7 km drive will take you to both John Pennekamp State Park and Dolphin Cove, while the surrounding area offers the perfect landscape to head out on bikes and breathe in the lush island air.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kawama Yacht Club A4
We also have posts on…
- Cool and trendy hotels in Key West
- Cool and trendy hotels in Orlando
- Cool and trendy hotels in Miami
- Cool and trendy hotels in Fort Lauderdale
- Cool and trendy hotels in Naples FL
- Cool and trendy hotels in Vero Beach
- Cool and trendy hotels in Tampa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Palm Beach/West Palm Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in The Bahamas
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Islamorada
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Daytona Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Clearwater/St Petersburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Punta Cana
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Marathon
Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Michael has always been a sucker for an adventure. Growing up he was lucky enough to live in a handful of exotic far flung locations including Hong Kong, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania and since then he’s continued his taste for seeking out new cultures. So much in fact he now travels the world as a trading digital nomad, exploring everything from the sizzling street markets in Bangkok to random back alleys in Sri Lanka and everything in between! He also has a special fondness for Cohibas, street food, playing carrom, and fine wine and knows his clarets from his chiantis. He counts Cuba, Amsterdam, Indonesia, Cambodia and Italy as his favourite destinations.