Lake Geneva, or ‘Lac Léman’ as the locals know it, is Western Europe’s largest freshwater lake, shared between Switzerland and France. Surrounded by terraced vineyards on one side and towering snow-coated Alps on the other, the lake’s breathtaking scenery has long been the source of inspiration for many artists.
Visitors flock to the peaceful shores of Lake Geneva to engage in a blissful outdoor’ setting. Whether that means reclining on a deck chair as the sunlight shimmers on the water, hiking the jaw-dropping trails with friends, or soaring through the air on a zipline adventure, the region offers boundless opportunities for both fun and relaxation.
The stunning hotels that surround Lake Geneva range from graceful chalet-style boutiques to luxurious lakeside manors. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels around Lake Geneva (in no particular order)…
1. citizenM Geneva – an upscale, quirky and trendy boutique hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Bringing affordable luxury to the famous Swiss City, citizenM puts you right in the heart of the Old Town, where you can enjoy epic sightseeing and shopping.
As you enter the property and relax in the comfy living area, you will be surrounded by eclectic art, books, and Vitra furniture, promoting a soothing start to your lakeside vacation.
You will find ultra-high-quality kind-size beds in the guestrooms, smart TVs, and free movies. The tech-forward MoodPad tablet in each room, or the hotel’s free app, can both be used to control the entire in-room experience, from lights to temperature to TV channel!
- To book, check prices or availability for citizenM Geneva
2. N’vY Manotel – a vibrant, trendy and Insta-worthy hotel providing guests with a central location ideal for exploring
This boho-chic inspired lifestyle retreat is steeped in a bold design, where unique objects, stylish mirrors, and soft & bright colours are combined to perfection.
Here, the trendy atmosphere is sprinkled with a dash of street and pop art, ingenious use of colour, and tech-forward amenities.
The hotel’s concept is heavily rooted in art, notably in the on-site Tag’s Café where six mural frescoes were designed specially by New York graffiti artist Meres One.
The interiors of the N’vY Bar are in reminiscence of a traditional Californian house, suffused by an urban and festive spirit. The hotel is situated in the centre of Geneva, and puts you a stone’s throw from the lake.
- To book, check prices or availability for N’vY Manotel
3. Moxy Lausanne City – a hip, Instagrammable and funky accommodation perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Situated on the doorstep of Lausanne’s most exciting neighbourhood and all its shops, restaurants, and nightlife, Moxy is home to an eccentric, creative energy which draws on its art-infused surroundings
A true pampering experience is offered at this stylish, chic hotel, and the 133 guestrooms feature a refined, youthful vibe. In your own secluded sanctuary you can benefit from many high-end, tech-forward amenities such as searing fast Wi-Fi and a 42-inch HDTV.
The hotel is decorated head-to-toe in quirky, bespoke décor, catering to the cool, hip crowd. In terms of eating, the hotel provides a casual breakfast bar and a day bar with multiple courses on offer.
- To book, check prices or availability for Moxy Lausanne City
4. Ruby Claire Hotel Geneva – a cool design accommodation with unique interior décor ideal for a memorable city break
Here we have a cultural melting pot set on the shores of the serene Lake Geneva. The hotel’s design is shaped by influences from around the world, for example in the on-site bar, where colourful allusions to distant lands complement the beautiful combination of marble, woven fabrics, and vintage furnishings.
An extensive mix of classic and original cocktails is served here, alongside local specialities and tasty snacks. All guestrooms are steeped in a style of Lean Luxury, and feature woven motifs and macrame art above the king-sized beds, paying homage to this eclectic city.
A stay at Ruby Claire lands you within arm’s reach of Geneva’s artisan boutique cafes and the breathtaking Lac Léman.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ruby Claire Hotel Geneva
5. Hôtel Longemalle – a unique, chic and elegant hotel surrounded by shopping on the edge of the Old Town
Hôtel Longemalle is an idyllic spot for recreation and rejuvenation. A fresh atmosphere radiates through this chic, exclusive boutique hotel, and is the result of a head-to-toe revamp in 2019.
The hotel is beautifully furnished in a designer style, with Art Deco lighting, contemporary paintings, and a mix of noble materials permeating every corner.
East meets West in a soothing environment at Balila, the hotel’s unique dining space, while elegant seasonal cuisine is served in signature dishes at the ‘Restaurant de la Cigogne’. A sense of conviviality is etched into the atmosphere at the intimate terrace bar, where gourmet dishes and crisp champagne is served.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Longemalle
6. Everness Hotel & Resort – a contemporary, French-style and quiet resort with picturesque panoramic views overlooking the lake
Backdropped by jaw-dropping panoramas of the lake and the Alps, Everness Hotel is a refined experience of relaxation and well-being away from the hustle and bustle.
The ultimate cocooning atmosphere radiates through the well-appointed guestrooms, all of which boast luxury wooden floors, a flat-screen TV, and state-of-the-art bathrooms.
The on-site wellness centre offers both a hot and cold concept, with a Finnish-type sauna, a steam bath, an ice fountain, and a chill-out fireside space enhancing the sense of bliss. Guests can dine in a graceful ambiance at the hotel’s restaurant, which offers a charming terrace overlooking the majesty of the lake.
- To book, check prices or availability for Everness Hotel & Resort
7. Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic, Autograph Collection – a newly renovated, Belle Epoque-style and lavish hotel featuring a restaurant serving local and international cuisine
Situated on the shores of the lake, Grand Hotel shares a nod to the beauty of the Belle Epoque period. Its grand exterior stands as a famous landmark in Montreaux, while the 155 guestrooms are both colourful and modern.
A harmony between life and vitality is the focus of the on-site wellness centre, which brings a gym, sauna, and hammam facilities to the 9th floor.
The main floor boasts an elegant lobby, as well as a stunning restaurant and bar overlooking the Alps and the lake while providing a thoughtfully curated menu. In your guestroom, you will be able to stay connected with ultra-high-velocity Wi-Fi, and you can watch a wide array of Satellite TV Channels on your private HDTV.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic, Autograph Collection
8. Baron Tavernier Hotel Restaurant & SPA – a beautiful, family-friendly and stylish hotel where guests can experience the luxury of an on-site wellness center
Nestled in the heart of the Lavaux Vineyards, a UNESCO Heritage Site, Baron Tavernier is an intimate blend of tradition and modernity.
Here, you can relish one of Switzerland’s most stunning lake panoramas as you wake up in a plush, amenity-laden guestroom or suite. Catering to gourmets and wine lovers, the on-site restaurant reflects the spirit of Chexbres, and invites you to relax as you take your taste buds on a culinary journey.
You can end your day in the on-site spa, a peaceful heaven which features a heated indoor salt-water pool, an outdoor zen garden, a hammam, and a sauna.
- To book, check prices or availability for Baron Tavernier Hotel Restaurant & SPA
9. Eastwest Hôtel – a stunning, fancy and lavish hotel designed to feel like a home-away-from-home
Providing an atmosphere of discreet luxury for modern travellers, Eastwest welcomes you to the intimate environment of a home from home.
Here, comfort, refinement, and technology radiate through the unique guestrooms and living spaces, forming the ultimate cocooning experience. Retreat to the fitness room to enjoy a moment of relaxation, where a sauna, library lounge, and garden terrace invite you to revel in a serene ambiance.
During winter, you can savour some traditional delicacies in the pop-up fondue restaurant in the garden, where a convivial après-ski atmosphere graces an exclusive setting. Further culinary delights are offered in the trendy on-site restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Eastwest Hôtel
10. Le Grand Hôtel – Domaine De Divonne – an art-deco, upscale and pet-friendly hotel featuring one of the most famous casinos in France
Nestled between the Jura Mountains and the Alps, Domaine De Divonne epitomizes refined luxury through a magnificent setting amid a 4-hectare estate planted with hundred-year-old trees.
The property’s charm echoes its tremendous history, and is upheld by rich Art Deco hues and an exceptional service. The 133 grand guestrooms invite you to revel in comfort as you gaze out over spectacular scenery from a private terrace.
For dining, guests can choose from 5 restaurants and 4 bars, all topped with bespoke atmospheres. For a spot of rejuvenation, the blissful on-site wellness centre oozes a serene lakeside charm through an array of pampering experiences.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Grand Hôtel – Domaine De Divonne
11. Hôtel Restaurant Du Port – a historic, quiet and elegant hotel where guests can enjoy an idyllic waterfront location
Welcoming visitors to an idyllic, bucolic setting since 1820, Du Port honours the majesty of Lake Geneva, and is beautifully nestled in the heart of the medieval village of Yvoire.
Set between flowers and old stones, the property invites you on a journey through lush, wooded grounds, where tranquillity and serenity permeate every corner. The hotel is backdropped by the shimmering lake and its surrounding mountains, which can be relished from the private balconies of the 7 commodious guestrooms.
A refined, cosy decoration scheme suffuses the interiors with noble materials, a harmony of tones, and ambient, soft lighting. The on-site restaurant takes shape under a large veranda, and offers a stunning terrace overlooking Lac Léman.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Restaurant Du Port
12. Design Hotel f6 – a fancy, urban and vibrant accommodation ideally situated between the lake and city center
Here we have a contemporary boutique hotel in the heart of Geneva, bringing a warm and friendly spirit to the city’s enchanting hospitality circuit.
The hotel itself is tucked into the quiet Rue Ferrier at number 6, hence the name ‘F6’. Whether you’re here for business or leisure, the thoughtfully appointed guestrooms bring style and design to the forefront, providing a true ‘home from home’ experience.
An urban atmosphere permeates the lounge & terrace bar, which is a space that radiates class and sophistication. To enhance satisfaction, Design Hotel F6 also offers a stunning wellness centre with sauna and hammam, as well as a fitness centre where you can book sessions with personal trainers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Design Hotel f6
13. B&B HOTEL Evian Publier – a sleek and modern accommodation with upscale amenities in a location perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option on your route to the Portes du Soleil, but also have one eye on luxury, it would be difficult to outdo the stunning Evian Publier B&B.
Situated on the French side of Lake Geneva, the property is an idyllic romantic retreat, and its interiors are draped in plush, quality materials to evoke the pampering experience of a five-star resort.
The guestrooms are tastefully decorated in a resolutely modern style, and are equipped with luxurious bedding and tech-forward amenities to guarantee optimum comfort. If you fancy either a gourmet, traditional, healthy, or savoury breakfast, you will find something to satisfy your palate at the hotel’s all-you-can-eat buffet.
- To book, check prices or availability for B&B HOTEL Evian Publier
14. Casa ViniToscani – a stylish, bright and newly renovated boutique B&B steps away from a local bakery and brasserie
Situated a 20-minute drive from both Geneva Airport and Lausanne, Casa ViniToscani is set in a recently refurbished townhouse, adding a unique boutique touch to the building’s original, character-filled roots.
A community space on the ground floor offers a fully equipped kitchen, making self-catering not only convenient, but extremely cosy.
Shops, bakeries, and brasseries are dotted around the immediate vicinity, while a 10-minute walk will land you on the communal lakeside beach of Perroy.
The property is decorated in a quirky style, with sharp colour contrasts and soft, natural materials adding to the intimate and homely feel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa ViniToscani
15. La Cour Des Augustins Boutique Gallery Design Hotel – an urban, modern and quirky accommodation located in the heart of Geneva
Welcoming you to an eccentric setting, this intimate hotel offers an arty twist on the typical Lake Geneva getaway. A quirky design concept reconciles heritage with a contemporary outlook, to create a colourful hospitality experience for the discerning traveller.
From bright red interiors to soft, wooden hues, this graceful boutique evokes glamour and sophistication through its charming interiors.
You can choose to stay in a standard room, an apartment, or a loft suite, all of which promote a blissful night’s sleep amid natural materials and plush linens. At La Cour Des Augustins, you can opt for room service from either the hotel or the Café Jules Verne located in front of the property.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Cour Des Augustins Boutique Gallery Design Hotel
16. B&B 7e Art – a themed, fun and charming accommodation moments away from the famous Lavaux vineyards
7e Art welcomes you to an old village house from the 18th century, which has been completely gentrified in a head-to-toe revamp.
Perfect for a winter’s evening, the B&B offers a cosy cinema room with a large projector screen and many intimate seating corners, while in Summer you can relish the open-air ambiance of the bucolic garden.
The family who own and operate the property are always on hand to offer insightful guidance on the best restaurants, wineries, and countryside walks in the entire region.
Whether you book a room on the garden side or street side, each one is themed on an illustrious moment in media history, and is topped with trendsetting amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for B&B 7e Art
17. Wonderlandscape Guest House – a cozy, quiet and historic accommodation that blends contemporary and antique style
Beautifully situated in a bucolic setting yet close to downtown, this historic 18th-century farmhouse embodies a traditional, chalet-style charm with a touch of boutique luxury.
Guests can enjoy HD Multimedia Televisions in the guestrooms, as well as high-velocity Wi-Fi and comfy décor. Wonderlandscape also offers a fully equipped kitchen where you can cook up your own feasts in style and a tranquil garden where you can revel in the fresh air.
The guestrooms are decorated in vivid colours, warm tones, and bespoke wall art, and invite you to a peaceful night of respite amid a traditional countryside setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for Wonderlandscape Guest House
18. Les Lumières de Genève – a spacious, tranquil and charming B&B offering guests a superb breakfast daily
Facing Geneva from high up in the hills, Les Lumières de Genève is a charming Bed and Breakfast which offers 5 luxurious suites blending a traditional, chalet-style ambiance with the elements of a modern resort.
Each unit offers balconies with tremendous views of Lake Geneva and Mont Blanc, inviting you to watch the glittering showcase of thousands of lights illuminating at nightfall.
In homage to the hotel’s storied past, the charm of the old stones and beams have been thoughtfully restored to delight the modern traveller. Around the property, you can reenergize with many outdoor activities, which include hiking, cycling, and golfing.
- To book, check prices or availability for Les Lumières de Genève
19. Le Coq Chantant B&B and Boutique Hotel St-Livres – a rustic-chic, beautiful and elegant accommodation perfect for a relaxing and rejuvenating stay
The perfect place to rest and relax, Le Coq Chantant is an elegant accommodation offering in the picturesque wine village of St-Livres.
The B&B is housed in an old village pub, which was renovated in 2012 to give it a new lease of life. Le Coq Chantant is built with rustic elements which resemble the charm of the local surrounds, while sustainable materials echo the property’s eco-friendly ethos.
Most guestrooms offer balconies or terraces overlooking the lush hinterland, and are clad in soft, wooden hues and bright décor. While the hotel is peacefully nestled away from the hustle and bustle, some eclectic restaurants can be reached within a 3-minute walk.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Coq Chantant B&B and Boutique Hotel St-Livres
20. Crazy Lounge BnB – a hipster, cozy and petite accommodation offering guests a unique stay
Situated in Aigle, Crazy Lounge BnB boasts a shared kitchen, a bar, a garden, and a terrace, providing ample space to kick back and soak up the bucolic charm.
The inside is decorated by patterned tapestries, guitars, and bespoke artworks, while the open-air hangout spaces are sprinkled by comfy, swinging hammocks. Various oriental styles combine to give this colourful BnB an incredibly fun, unique set-up, and the statues placed between the different units add a touch of classiness.
Each morning you can indulge in a delicious continental breakfast on-site, before heading out to hike, ski, and cycle in the local surroundings.
- To book, check prices or availability for Crazy Lounge BnB
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Zurich
- Cool boutique hotels in Basel
- Cool boutique hotels in Graz
- Cool boutique hotels in Chamonix
- Cool boutique hotels in Lyon
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool boutique hotels in Interlaken
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lucerne
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lausanne
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bern
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Turin
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Marseille
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St. Tropez
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Monaco
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.