This charming small town and a pristine large sprawling lake located in the Adirondack Mountains in northern New York is famous for its stunning beauty, for hosting the Winter Olympic Games twice and for being a hub for snow sports and other outdoor pursuits.
Lake Placid offers a peaceful mountain retreat or an activity-based vacation in all seasons or a spectacular place to see the changing foliage during the fall. During the winter you’ll find plenty of snow and world-class skiing. Now you just need to explore some of its extraordinary places to stay, so from cozy and intimate boutique inns to chic and modern lodges, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Lake Placid, New York State (in no particular order)...
1. The Whiteface Lodge – an upscale, hip and very Instagrammable boutique hotel perfect for a weekend getaway
A deluxe, all-suite resort nestled in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains, a mile from the shores of Lake Placid. It provides easy access to the ski slopes of Whiteface Mountain and the restaurants and shops downtown.
The glitzy, hip and cool Lake Placid hotel boasts an Adirondack-inspired interior with genteel rooms. Each room at the luxury hotel features handcrafted wooden furnishings and high-end amenities, including flat-screen TVs, kitchenettes, washers/dryers, and balconies with stunning mountain views. Some rooms add fireplaces and whirlpool tubs.
The Whiteface Lodge also has an upscale restaurant, a bar, a spa, a movie theater, a skating rink, an indoor/outdoor pool, and tennis courts among other on-site amenities.
Address: 7 Whiteface Inn Ln, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Whiteface Lodge
2. High Peaks Resort – a modern and stylish hotel with unique dining options
High Peaks Resort is a hotel located on the shores of Mirror Lake, with Lake Placid’s Main Street accessible within a short walk.
Vibrant rooms at High Peaks Resort feature Adirondack-inspired decor and are equipped with flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, and minifridges among other amenities.
Each room has an en suite bathroom with stone-tiled walk-in showers. Guests lodged in suites have direct access to the shore. Some suites also come with whirlpool tubs and fireplaces.
The 4-star hotel also has an on-site American restaurant, an elegant bar, and a lounge with a fireplace. Other amenities include a fitness center, a spa, and three swimming pools.
Address: 2384 Saranac Ave, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for High Peaks Resort
3. Crowne Plaza Lake Placid, an IHG Hotel – a charming lodge-style resort perfect for sport enthusiasts, located near a private beach
A refined, lodge-style resort located adjacent to the Olympic Center. Crowne Plaza is a few miles from Mirror Lake and Lake Placid Winter Olympic Museum.
Unassuming rooms at the 3-star hotel come equipped with microwaves, minifridges, flat-screen TVs, and coffee makers.
Guests quartered in upgraded rooms can indulge in spectacular views of Mirror Lake from private balconies. Suites add living areas with fireplaces, well-equipped kitchenettes, and whirlpool tubs.
An on-site Italian/American hotel offers a fine-dining experience in a ritzy setting. Guests also have access to an on-site bar, an indoor pool, a hot tub, a beach club, a gym, and a ski center.
Address: 101 Olympic Dr, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Crowne Plaza Lake Placid
4. Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa – an elegant, upscale spa resort with a picturesque backdrop of the Adirondack Mountains
A luxurious spa resort overlooking Mirror Lake and offering breathtaking views of the Adirondack Mountains. The 4-star hotel is located directly on Mirror Lake, with Lake Placid Olympic Sports Complex reachable within a 15-minute drive.
Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa features stately rooms and suites with four-poster beds, marble bathrooms, fireplaces, and private balconies or terraces offering lake views. Suites come with separate living rooms. All guests have access to free parking.
On-site amenities include a heated outdoor pool, a 60-foot indoor pool, a fancy spa, a top-end restaurant, a casual bistro, a shoreside cafe, and a fitness center.
Address: 77 Mirror Lake Dr, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Mirror Lake Inn Resort and Spa
5. Lake House at High Peaks Resort – a modern, cool, casual and cozy accommodation located along Mirror Lake
A polished, low-rise hotel dating back to the 1960s. Lake House at High Peaks Resort features warmly decorated rooms with a range of amenities, including flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, coffee makers, and private lanais with lake views.
On-site amenities include a spa, a game room, an indoor pool, and a bar. Guests also get access to the facilities at the resort property across the street.
Address: 1 Mirror Lake Dr, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Lake House at High Peaks Resort
6. The Haus On Mirror Lake – a unique, cool and Insta-worthy eco-chic boutique hotel perfect for millennials and Gen Zs
Perched on the shore of Mirror Lake in Lake Placid village, The Haus is a gorgeous boutique hotel featuring nine apartment-style suites, each of which is individually decorated. It is one of the most sophisticated boutique hotels in the town.
In-room amenities at the chic hotel include free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs with cable, air-conditioning, and whirlpool tubs among others. Each room has a modern decor with hardwood floors and stylish furnishings.
Full kitchens with stainless appliances are also available in most rooms. Some suites add private lanais offering lake views.
Address: 2439 Main St, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Haus on Mirror Lake
7. Alpine Lodge – Lake Placid, Mirror Lake – a trendy and cozy boutique self-catering cottage perfect for a family vacation or longer stays
A paradisal cottage featuring a well-appointed living room, six bedrooms, four bathrooms, a fully functional kitchenette, a furnished porch with a fireplace, a children’s playground, and a garden with a BBQ grill.
On-site amenities include free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV, a fireplace, a hairdryer, and complimentary toiletries.
The pet-friendly accommodation is a 10-minute walk from the Lake Placid Winter Olympic Museum. Popular spots near the property include Herb Brooks Arena, Lake Placid Club Golf Courses, Lake Placid, and John Brown Farm State Historic Site.
Address: 6021 Sentinel Road, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Alpine Lodge – Lake Placid, Mirror Lake
8. Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort – a historic and eco-friendly hotel perfect for a relaxing lake-side getaway
A rustic, family-run hotel conveniently located on Main Street, a short walk from many local attractions including the Olympic Speed Skating Oval.
The beautifully decorated rooms at the 3-star hotel have flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, and coffee makers. Private balconies or patios are also available in most rooms. Upgraded rooms and suites add fireplaces, kitchenettes, and/or whirlpool tubs.
There’s a sophisticated eatery serving authentic American cuisine. A cocktail lounge, an indoor pool, a sauna, whirlpools, and a fitness center are also available.
Address: 2559 Main St, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Golden Arrow Lakeside Resort
9. Placid Peak Lodge The Village Of Lake Placid – a charming and traditional style vacation home located near Lake Placid and Mirror Lake
A gorgeous holiday home with six bedrooms, a large gourmet kitchen, two living areas with cable TV and fireplaces, a large dining room with seating for 16 people, two breakfast nooks, an entertainment nook, and a patio with a hot tub, outdoor fireplace, and gas grill.
The property also offers free parking and access to a variety of outdoor activities, including cycling, skiing, and hiking. There’s an on-site ski storage space and a tennis court.
Address: 1983 Saranac Avenue, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Placid Peak Lodge The Village of Lake Placid
10. Lake Placid Inn: Residences – a newly renovated rustic and elegant self catering accommodation with outdoor BBQ facilities
A laid-back hotel tucked away in the Adirondack Mountains. Located on a highway three miles from the Lake Placid Airport, the hotel features apartment-style lodgings with a wide array of high-end amenities, including free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, minifridges, microwaves, well-equipped kitchenettes, and en suite bathrooms with rainfall showers.
Each room at this rustic-chic hotel features beautiful hand-made furniture. Lake Placid Inn: Residences is a 5-minute drive from both the John Brown Farm State Historic Site and the Lake Placid Olympic Ski Jumping Complex.
Address: 2050 Saranac Ave, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Lake Placid Inn: Residences
11. Grand Adirondack Hotel, Lake Placid, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel – an iconic hotel and vibrant hub located in the heart of Lake Placid
Located in the heart of Lake Placid, Grand Adirondack Hotel is a relaxed, upscale hotel offering a basecamp for those seeking adventure near the Adirondack Mountains.
Guests can enjoy a broad range of activities nearby, including world-class hiking, mountain-climbing, cross-country skiing, and boat tours. The hotel is within walking distance of many local attractions including Lake Placid Golf Courses, Lake Placid, Herb Brooks Arena, and Lake Placid Winter Olympic Museum.
The pet-friendly, all-suite hotel features richly furnished rooms with locally-curated art pieces on the walls. There are two on-site restaurants, namely Delta Blue and the Cabin Grill.
The former specializes in Cajun cuisine and serves delicious BBQ for lunch and dinner. The latter dishes up breakfast.
Address: 2520 Main Street, Lake Placid, 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Adirondack Hotel
12. Lake Placid Inn: Boutique Hotel – a modern, chic hotel with a hip style interior
Lake Placid Inn is a boutique hotel located in the heart of Lake Placid Village. The rustic-chic hotel is within walking distance of Mirror Lake and the Lake Placid Olympic Museum.
Unfussy rooms at Lake Placid Inn Boutique Hotel come with a broad array of amenities, including coffee makers, minifridges, free Wi-Fi, and flat-screen TVs among others.
Upgraded rooms have balconies offering views of Lake Mirror. Living rooms with sofa beds are available in suites. Guests also have access to a range of on-site amenities including, a gym, a convenience store, a delicatessen, and a classy lounge with copper-paneled ceilings and a fireplace.
Address: 821 Mirror Lake Dr, Lake Placid, NY 12946, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Lake Placid Inn: Boutique Hotel
We also have posts on…
- Cool and unusual hotels in Boston
- Cool and unusual hotels in Portland, Maine
- Cool and unusual hotels in New York
- Cool and unusual hotels in The Finger Lakes
- Cool boutique hotels in The Catskills
- Cool and unusual hotels in The Hamptons
- Cool and unusual hotels in Cape Cod
- Cool and unusual hotels in Martha’s Vineyard
- Cool and unusual hotels in Buffalo
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Stowe VT
- Cool boutique hotels in Albany
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lake Winnipesaukee
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Woodstock VT
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Niagara Falls
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Saratoga Springs
- Cool and Unusual hotels in North Conway
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ithaca
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hudson
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cooperstown
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.