One of the most loved tourist destinations in both winter and summer, Lake Tahoe (which straddles the border of California and Nevada) turns from a world-renowned powdery paradise for alpine skiing to a beautiful outdoor destination when spring arrives.
As well as the jaw-dropping scenery, the USA’s second deepest lake offers so much more, including excellent restaurants and outdoor pursuits such as hiking, kayaking, swimming, skiing, a private boat charter, cycling, the list goes on and on. It’s also known for its gorgeous resorts which take full advantage of its impossibly scenic location. From intimate boutiques and condos to grand and upscale, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Lake Tahoe…
1. Edgewood Tahoe Resort – a uniquely beautiful and very Insta-worthy lakeside resort with a spa and golf course
Sitting in its own spectacular slice of Lake Tahoe, and with a choice of cabins, suites and rooms Edgewood Tahoe Resort sits on the shores of Lake Tahoe itself, a boutique hotel resort that brings you luxurious living on the grandest scale.
Rooms are spectacular, not just in the quality of furnishings, luxury and comfort on offer, but with big, bold windows that create bright spaces and bring stunning views into your living space.
A choice of restaurants and bars give indoor and outdoor dining options too, all of the exemplary quality and with a relaxed dining experience, while a comprehensive spa and a spectacular golf course complete the activities. It’s an experience you don’t want to miss.
- Address: 180 Lake Pkwy, Stateline, NV 89449
- To book, check prices or availability for Edgewood Tahoe Resort
2. The Landing Resort and Spa, South Lake Tahoe – a hip and trendy upscale boutique hotel which overlooks Lake Tahoe
Seclusion, stunning views and luxury hotel comfort are to be found at The Landing Resort and Spa. Rooms and suites feature beautiful fireplaces, luxurious finishes and modern technology to create a wonderful environment that offers elegance and comfort in equal measure.
Lake views from the rooms are matched by the dining experience, offering locally sourced cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere with impressive views, while snacks and drinks are served out on the deck, where firepits keep you cozy as the evening continues.
A full spa, hiking and biking trails, watersports on the lake, and gold are all available to keep you entertained.
- Address: 4104 Lakeshore Blvd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
- To book, check prices or availability for The Landing Resort and Spa
3. The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe – a beautiful and chic retreat nestled in a remote mountainous location in Northstar
Sitting among the pines on the mountainside, The Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe is a luxury hotel on a grand scale, just 15 minutes from the lake and perfect for summer or winter sports enthusiasts.
With ski-in ski-out access in winter and both biking and hiking trails on the doorstep, it is a year-round haven for those who love the outdoors.
Rooms are beautifully appointed, with luxury living a priority, while a Lakefront club, spa and a choice of 5 eateries offering indoor and outdoor dining to suite any taste, you get all the wonders of nature with the convenience and luxurious style of a city center hotel. A fantastic place to stay and enjoy, it’s a great choice for anyone.
- Address: 13031 Ritz Carlton Highlands Ct, Truckee, CA 96161
- To book, check prices or availability for The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
4. Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe – a cool and fun resort hotel which is a great place to party
Offering comfortable and contemporary luxury, the Hard Rock Hotel brings the high-quality accommodation you expect set against the beautiful backdrop of Lake Tahoe and the stunning vistas of the region.
As with others in the chain, the wonderful rooms are enhanced by the rock n’ roll memorabilia you find added everywhere, little details that make each room special. An onsite casino provides entertainment, with live music and shows throughout the year.
A pool, fitness center and shopping are all available, as well as a choice of dining venues offering everything from bar snacks and casual dining to a true fine dining experience.
- Address: 50 US-50, Stateline, NV 89449,
- To book, check prices or availability for Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Lake Tahoe
5. The Cedar House Sport Hotel – a cool and funky hotel with innovative architecture fused from unrefined and recycled materials perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Sitting in the shadow of Donner Summit, enjoy the crisp air and hospitality of one of California’s oldest towns, Truckee, and the fantastic experience of a stay at a superb boutique hotel, The Cedar House Sport Hotel.
Beautiful, natural and eclectic, it is a quirky hotel built from the cedar wood of the trees surrounding it, providing wonderfully comfortable accommodation and quality service in one of the most beautiful settings you will find anywhere.
Reminiscent of a European ski chalet, it is a unique hotel vibe that gives access to everything the area has to offer. Skiing, nature walks, lakeside tranquillity and even yoga. Changing with the seasons, the hotel delivers the finest in Lake Tahoe living.
- Address: 10918 Brockway Rd, Truckee, CA 96161
- To book, check prices or availability for The Cedar House Sport Hotel
6. Zalanta, South Lake Tahoe – Lake Tahoe’s premier luxury condominium development offering chic accommodation
Offering what they call the ultimate Lake Tahoe experience, Zalanta offers a blend of classic luxury and mountain modern design to create a stunning and unique hotel that has everything you need for your outdoor adventuring.
Just steps from the gondola service for winter skiing, on the lake shore for watersports and with hiking and biking trails nearby, if you love nature, this is a hotel built for you.
Elegant and modern but using natural materials and colors as a constant reminder of the surrounding world, Zalanta provides luxurious living, with beautiful fireplaces, vaulted ceilings and private decks to watch the sunset from. A romantic hotel and a wonderful base for exploring, Zalanta is one of a kind.
- Address: 4101 Lake Tahoe Blvd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150,
- To book, check prices or availability for Zalanta Lake Tahoe
7. NorthStar Village Lodge, Welk Resort Villas Truckee – a beautiful village is made up of chic vacation condos and lodging
With 91 vacation home rentals to choose from, this is an eclectic hotel mix of accommodation that has something for everyone. While each property is unique, they all deliver a wonderfully comfortable, elegant experience with full kitchens and access to swimming pools.
Ideal for skiing in winter but perfectly positioned for enjoying the mountains all year round, whatever your sport, if you love the outdoors, you will find stunning accommodation that gives you the freedom you want to explore and enjoy everything the Truckee area has to offer.
- Address: 5001 Northstar Dr, Truckee, CA 96161
- To book, check prices or availability for NorthStar Village Lodge
8. Tahoe Seasons Resort By Diamond Resorts – a relaxed all-suite resort which boasts a full array of amenities including a rooftop tennis court and shuffleboard
A mountaintop haven and cool hotel that puts you just 150 yards from the world-famous heavenly Mountain ski run.
Surrounded by the majestic pines, it features 183 suite-style rooms, creating an insta-worthy hotel that brings the stunning beauty of the mountain scenery right to your room.
With a barbeque area, fireside bar and grill, game room, fitness center and pool, plus the many amenities found throughout the area whether skiing, hiking or water sports, it is the perfect destination for anyone who loves seeing or exploring the outdoors.
- Address: 3901 Saddle Rd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
- To book, check prices or availability for Tahoe Seasons Resort By Diamond Resorts
9. Hotel Azure – a cute mid-range hotel in South Lake Tahoe with modern decor and an outdoor swimming pool
An award-winning boutique hotel sitting among the pines in a majestic mountain location.
Just moments from the south shore of Lake Tahoe and within easy reach of the ski runs, hiking and biking trails that make this area such a magnet for outdoor sports lovers, it is a modern hotel that brings luxurious living to your adventure vacation.
Suites include a full kitchen area to take care of your dining needs, while the hotel includes a fitness center, games room including pool table and a full, 16-lane bowling alley, a unique addition to this special hotel. If you want to enjoy the thrills of the outdoors and have a relaxing and luxurious place to return to every evening, this is the hotel for you.
- Address: 3300 Lake Tahoe Blvd, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Azure Lake Tahoe
10. Granlibakken Tahoe – a popular lodge located within a private 74-acre alpine valley offer a classic Tahoe experience
A European-style ski lodge just minutes from the famed Olympic Hill, Granlibakken Tahoe brings family-friendly comfort and luxury from this spectacular, beautiful hotel. Offering a modern take on a rustic hotel experience, rooms offer contemporary style while using natural materials to create an authentic experience.
A buffet breakfast and an in-house pub, the Cedar House, take care of dining and refreshment, with alfresco dining under the crystal-clear skies a unique experience.
A spa, pool and a tree-top adventure park for residents give you plenty of activities, with so much more to be found nearby whether skiing, hiking or enjoying the lake itself.
- Address: 725 Granlibakken Rd, Tahoe City, CA 96145
- To book, check prices or availability for Granlibakken Tahoe
11. Resort at Squaw Creek, a Destination by Hyatt Residence – an all-season mountain resort with unique views and great amenities
A wonderful luxury hotel set in the heart of Squaw Valley, surrounded by slopes covering in pine trees, lush green meadows and beautiful views wherever you look.
Large windows bring those stunning views into every room, while the modern comfort on offer brings stylish luxury to the mountain.
Whether you are here for the 6,000 acres of skiable terrain in season, or the hiking and biking on offer in the summer, or just to unwind amid the majesty of the natural world, this resort has everything.
A fitness center, pool and spa give you plenty to do in the hotel, while a superb restaurant offers fine dining and even finer views from your table.
- Address: 400 Squaw Creek Rd, Olympic Valley, CA 96146
- To book, check prices or availability for Resort at Squaw Creek
12. Harveys Lake Tahoe Hotel & Casino – a laid-back modern casino hotel which offers live entertainment and various dining options
The first casino operated on South Shore when it opened in 1944, Harveys offers impressive luxury accommodation, contemporary style, live shows and all the fun of the casino along with spectacular views across the lake.
Year-round live shows from international acts such as Norah Jones, Miranda Lambert, Robert Plant and more mean there is always something exciting to enjoy at Harveys.
Dining is just as varied too, ranging from Gordon Ramsay Hell’s Kitchen to the more casual Joe’s Sports bar and Grille. It’s an upscale hotel that has something for every taste, a party hotel that gives you space to relax, it gives you exactly what you are looking for, whatever that may be.
- Address: 18 US-50, Stateline, NV 89449
- To book, check prices or availability for Harveys Lake Tahoe Hotel & Casino
13. Tahoe Bear House – a unique and beautiful vacation rental home filled with gorgeous views
A different take on trendy hotels, this fantastic house is available for rent throughout the year, giving you superb vacation accommodation in Kings Beach, just a few miles from Lake Tahoe.
A visually stunning property the single ‘V’ shape and all wood construction create a unique interior space that echoes that of a European Ski Chalet.
The cute accommodation is incredibly comfortable and welcoming, with a fully fitted kitchen and large windows that let light flood throughout the living space and give you magnificent views, but it is the balcony that is the highlight.
Sit on the deck and soak in the sun, or watch the stars in crystal-clear skies. With a barbeque to enjoy as well, this is a home from home for your Lake Tahoe stay.
- Address: Kings Beach, 96143
- To book, check prices or availability for Tahoe Bear House
14. Stargazer – a stunning quirky-chic lake-side self-catering option set in Crystal Bay
While the best hotels offer superb service and lots of amenities, sometimes all you need is a comfortable space to relax, and the simply stunning views of Crystal Bay.
Stargazer gives you all that, with beautiful furnishings in this lovely, spacious chalet, that offers some of the most breathtaking views you will find in any property.
A relaxing atmosphere and comfortable furnishings, along with a fully functional kitchen, washing machine and free wi-fi ensure that your stay is a pleasant one.
But from the living area, the huge picture windows look out over the lake and deliver incredible views you will fall in love with. A deck gives you space for dining under the stars too, it’s a perfect place to be one with nature.
- Address: Crystal Bay, 89402
- To book, check prices or availability for Stargazer Crystal Bay
15. Maison de Montagne, Incline Village – a recently renovated vacation rental perfect for families, larger groups or extended stays
At the heart of Incline Village, Maison de Montagne is a stunning rental home that offers a fun hotel experience with the freedom to come and go as you please.
Featuring its own outdoor pool, washing machine and fully fitted kitchen, it’s a true home from home for your vacation.
Three bedrooms and 2 bathrooms make it a great option for a family or group vacation, and a children’s playground nearby. Just a short distance from the ski slopes, the lake shores and the many walking and biking trails that cross this stunning environment, you will never be short of things to do.
Enjoy modern comfort on the mountain, and the freedom a whole house rental provides.
- Address: Incline Village, 89451
- To book, check prices or availability for Maison de Montagne, Incline Village
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Sacramento
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in San Francisco
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Reno
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in San Jose
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Napa Valley
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Carmel
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Portland
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Las Vegas
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Santa Cruz
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Seattle
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Palm Springs
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Salt Lake City
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Santa Barbara
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Spokane
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Nevada City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/