From its magical winter landscapes to the breathtaking ‘Midnight Sun’ in summer, to the beautiful autumnal season which paints the land in soft tones of orange and green, Lapland is your gateway to an Arctic experience like no other.
Known for its vast subarctic wilderness, its ski resorts, and its dazzling Northern Lights spectacle, Lapland is wholly synonymous with Christmas time.
Its dark winters bring Aurora chasers and stargazers to its mind-blowing hotels year after year. From stunning, starlit boutique igloos to warm to cosy wooden cabins, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Lapland, Finland (in no particular order)…
1. Aurora Queen Resort Igloos – quirky-chic, Instagrammable and sleek accommodation with glass ceilings and panoramic windows
This brand-new family-owned resort boasts 14 glass-ceiling Aurora-view igloos and panorama suites which invite guests to a magical stay within Lapland’s spellbinding nature and tranquillity.
As nature lovers, the staff strive to be eco-friendly, and have therefore opted for geothermal heating and solid wood materials.
For a once-in-a-lifetime experience amid the harmony of silence and no light pollution, a stay here will be combined with all the comforts of a modern boutique resort.
Not only are the igloos designed to maximise the views of the night sky, but all the details are carefully designed for comfort and indulgence.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aurora Queen Resort Igloos
2. Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort – Igloos and Chalets – unique, famous and family-friendly accommodation located in the picturesque Saariselka countryside
A trip to the Kakslauttanen will bring you deep into the wilderness, a mere stone’s throw away from the snow-capped ski slopes of Urho Kekkonen National Park, where the water is so pure you can quench your thirst straight from the lake.
The wide array of accommodations on offer here include thermal glass igloos with a transparent roof, traditional wooden chalets with a private sauna, and gorgeous wedding chambers.
Traditional Laplandic cuisine can be savoured in one of two a la carte restaurants, and life-lasting activities such as reindeer and husky safaris, snowmobile safaris, and northern lights tours give this enchanting resort an atmosphere taken straight from the pages of a glistening Nordic fairy tale
- To book, check prices or availability for Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort – Igloos and Chalets
3. Nova Skyland Hotel – a rustic-chic, Instagrammable and Scandinavian design hotel within walking distance of the Santa Claus Village
Located in Santa Claus Village, this high-class hotel is designed in a Scandinavian style, with epic glimpses of the Aurora Borealis beaming in through panorama windows.
The apartments are situated in semi-detached houses, all boasting stunning amenities such as private saunas and floor-to-ceiling windows.
These apartments vary between size and are suitable for both small and big families. The hotel’s open fires and vibrant communal areas provide the perfect ambiance to spend unforgettable moments in the magical atmosphere of Lapland.
The restaurant will surprise you with a combination of flavours that cannot be found anywhere else, with traditional Nordic ingredients such as reindeer meat and king crab complemented by contemporary nuances.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nova Skyland Hotel
4. Wilderness Hotel Nangu & Igloos – an idyllic, trendy boutique accommodation perfect for experiencing the northern lights
A perfect mix of high-quality Lappish hospitality and truly remote countryside, Wilderness Hotel Nangu boasts its very own exclusive landscape, with spectacular views and fun activities on your doorstep.
Standing on the southern shore of Lake Inary, the view across the vast expanse of Arctic wilderness brings an authentic semblance of escapism to each of its 24 guestrooms.
Log buildings give the hotel a rustic feel, while the cosy blankets, roaring fires, and handmade furniture offer a homely environment to chill out between your Arctic adventures.
Guests are treated to breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a cosy, log-lined restaurant, where delicious Lappish dishes utilizing locally sourced ingredients are served.
- To book, check prices or availability for Wilderness Hotel Nangu & Igloos
5. Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos – a fun, unique and quirky accommodation featuring an ice restaurant and ice bar
One of the largest hotels in the Nordic regions, the spectacular Arctic SnowHotel is carved each year to become different in appearance.
The unique rooms are ornated with ice art and illuminated paintings, and offer many innovative ways to keep you warm and cosy. The snow sauna impresses even the most enthusiastic sauna bathers, combining thick steam with intimate snow walls.
More traditional log-built saunas with alluring Jacuzzis also feature, while the 360-degree glass roofs of the igloos provide the most beguiling views of the dazzling skies.
While located out of town, you don’t have to compromise on your food, as the hotel boasts three restaurants all uniquely appointed to cater to every type of traveller.
- To book, check prices or availability for Arctic SnowHotel & Glass Igloos
6. Santa’s Igloos Arctic Circle – a stylish, upscale and trendy accommodation located near the city center, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
These well-equipped Rovaniemi igloos should be experienced at least once in your lifetime. Providing a beautiful and luxurious spot to rest and relax amid the most beautiful nature of Finland, the north-facing windows in the igloos bring you close to the Northern Lights.
The softness of the snow and the whiteness of the sky surrounding these igloos will surely leave you with unforgettable memories!
The Arctic Eye restaurant serves northern and Lapland flavours with an international flair, and the magic of the surrounding area will leave you in awe whilst you’re being pulled along by huskies, or on a fun-filled snowmobile.
- To book, check prices or availability for Santa’s Igloos Arctic Circle
7. Arctic Fox Igloos – cozy, romantic and contemporary accommodation situated on the peaceful Ranuanjärvi lakeside
Located on the peaceful shores of Lake Ranuanjärvi far from city light pollution, unobstructed views across the open lake to the far-reaching northern horizons can be relished from private igloos.
The glass panels in the sleeping spaces are heated, preventing frosting over the surfaces. The igloos are amenity-laden, and have beds for 2 to 4 people, as well as private kitchenettes and saunas, meaning you can spend an unforgettable night under the starry sky of Ranua without compromising on comfort.
During the winter, you can arrive at the igloos by snowmobile, and combine your stay with a husky or reindeer safari. In the summer months, you can take a refreshing dip in the lake, or spend a memorable day kayaking.
- To book, check prices or availability for Artic Fox Igloos
8. Lapland Hotels SnowVillage – the largest snow hotel in Lapland providing a creative, ice-themed, Instagrammable stay
Situated almost 200 km above the Arctic Circle, this destination of exciting arctic adventures is housed in magnificent constructions of snow and ice.
Guests are led into a futuristic world, with a ‘train of the future’ taking you to magical snow suites. There is a huge variety of accommodation options to choose from, which include cosy log cabins, luxurious apartments, and hotel rooms.
Each year, around 20 million kilos of snow and 350000 kilos of crystal-clear natural ice are used to build the snow village, which is embellished by ice sculptures, an ice restaurant, and an ice bar to form a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lapland Hotels SnowVillage
9. Apukka Resort – a lavish, chic and beautiful accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Set on the last frontier where the city of Rovaniemi ends and the outback begins, Apukka Resort is located between two remote lakes at the edge of the unspoilt wilderness.
This unique resort boasts a variety of accommodation options. From Aurora cabins with glass roofs to brand-new suites looking out onto lake Olkkajärvi, to an ice hotel experience for the more adventurous lodgers, Apukka Resort is the ultimate location to hunt the exotic Northern Lights.
Within the 100-year-old timber log walls of restaurant Aitta, guests are invited to surrender to the delicious aromas of traditional Lappish food, and soak up the mythical atmosphere in the comfy rocking chairs by the fireplace.
- To book, check prices or availability for Apukka Resort
10. Seaside Glass Villas – an upscale, beautiful and modern waterfront accommodation surrounded by nature overlooking the Bothnia Bay
The perfect spot for a vacation, honeymoon, or an escape from the business of everyday life, these villas provide stunning sea views which can be admired from your very own bed.
With the sky’s effervescent colours and the Northern Lights peeking through your glass ceiling, the Seaside Glass Villas offer an enchanting opportunity to observe the dazzling transformation of nature.
The villas are made with Finnish log wood, topped with ecological materials to maintain the heat whilst keeping you at one with nature.
The villas are located within walking distance to unique parks and restaurants yet nestled within the beautiful and quiet arctic surroundings of the happiest country in the world.
- To book, check prices or availability for Seaside Glass Villas
11. Arctic Light Hotel – an elegant, lavish boutique hotel located in the heart of Rovaniemi
The first five-star hotel in Nordic Lapland, Arctic Light Hotel has already shot to the top of Travel & Leisure’s European rankings, despite being barely a year old.
A snug urban base for Aurora hunting and other outdoor adventures on the Lapp fells and rivers, the style is of total luxury with an Arctic design theme apparent from the giant polar bear sculpture outside. Plush cushions and mock furs fill the lobby lounge and bar area, which is bathed in cool lighting.
The cosy boutique feel that permeates the property’s 54 rooms delights guests with an authentic Christmassy atmosphere. Lighting in the rooms is controllable, emitting a shiny starlight-glow effect, while bathrooms boast their very own sauna and bathtub.
- To book, check prices or availability for Arctic Light Hotel
12. Wilderness Hotel Muotka & Igloos – one of the most romantic accommodations where guests can enjoy an eco-friendly, upscale and cozy stay
Offering endless possibilities for outdoor activities in both summer and winter, this captivating hotel is the perfect spot for those looking for an active holiday in a cosy and relaxed atmosphere.
Located close to Urho Kekkonen National Park, marked hiking and skiing trails are on your doorstep at the Wilderness Hotel Muotka. The mystic landscapes of the taiga forest and its tranquil nature will guarantee your holiday is one to remember.
A stunning variety of accommodation is provided. Take your pick from wilderness suites, panorama log cabins, Aurora igloos, riverside cabins, and superior suites. All come with the perfect backdrop to your arctic adventure!
- To book, check prices or availability for Wilderness Hotel Muotka & Igloos
13. Santa Claus Holiday Village – the famously magical family-friendly resort where guests can experience local Lappish activities and excursions
Built only on the 2010s, all the apartments and cottages in the Santa Claus Holiday Village are incomparable both in terms of quality and atmosphere.
Holding the comfort of families close to their hearts, the charming staff presence is always on hand to direct you to unforgettable memories in the wilderness, which snowmobile safaris.
The cabins are equipped with up-to-date facilities, including private saunas, kitchenettes, and beautiful terraces. A unique dining experience is on offer in a glass igloo, located on the terrace of the ‘Three Elves’ restaurant, where you can observe the vibrant colours of the northern sky.
- To book, check prices or availability for Santa Claus Holiday Village
14. Glass Resort – a new, modern and stylish accommodation where each apartment has its own private Hot Spring outdoor spa and sauna
Decorated with Lappish handicrafts and high-quality Scandi designs, the unique igloo style glass accommodations at this quirky resort are inspired by native Sami people’s traditional tepee-style Kota huts, used by the indigenous Lappish reindeer herders.
Unrestricted views of the Arctic nature and the northern skies beam through large windows and glass ceilings, in the exclusive glass apartments.
Each apartment has a hot spring outdoor tub and a private sauna, topped with a warm and friendly staff presence which treats guests like family.
The on-site Hot Spa and Sauna offers an unforgettable spa experience in the middle of the mesmerising landscape which characterizes this magical vacation destination.
- To book, check prices or availability for Glass Resort
15. Wilderness Hotel Inari & Igloos – a chic, rustic and contemporary accommodation featuring a Lappish-themed restaurant
An exquisite blend of comfort and wilderness, this ravishing hotel is set by the peaceful Lake Inari, in the far reaches of Finnish Lapland. There is very little light pollution surrounding the property, making it a perfect spot for Aurora hunting.
When you’re not gazing in awe of the dancing night skies, the hotel’s graceful guides are on hand to offer a wide range of Arctic activities.
The commodious Wilderness Rooms are adorned in a rustic style, and the glass-domed Aurora cabins guarantee the best seat in the house under the Northern Lights. For a memorable dining experience, the lakeside restaurant delivers seasonal Lappish cuisine in a homely atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Wilderness Hotel Inari & Igloos
16. Santa’s Hotel Aurora & Igloos – a new, upscale boutique hotel offering a backdrop of the Pyhä-Luosto National Park
The enchanting glow of the northern lights and the rustle of the old forests give an inviting allure to this striking hotel, located deep within the heart of mother nature.
The warmth and cosiness of the hotel can be sensed in the glass-roofed Luosto igloos, which boast thoughtful Scandinavian details and natural materials.
A great setting for total relaxation, here you can gently soak in a private sauna and take in the ravishing ambiance of this northern gem. The restaurant offers delicious multi-course dinners, where guests can sample local delicacies from the lava stone grill and take advantage of the authentic Lappish flavours in the open kitchen.
- To book, check prices or availability for Santa’s Hotel Aurora & Igloos
17. Arctic TreeHouse Hotel – a cool and unique design hotel featuring panoramic views of the surrounding forest and Artic skies
Situated on a forested hillside on the Arctic Circle, this resort is an ingenious design hotel solution with gorgeous, underfloor heated-chalets boasting wide north-facing windows, offering an ideal base for your Arctic adventures.
The accommodations are nested in cleverly designed wooden shingle-tiled oblong units, resting on short stilts, and overlooking a shallow valley, with unrivalled views of the Northern Lights.
The alcove bunks in some of the suites are a favourite amongst children, and the Arctic Glass Houses boast their very own saunas for a blissful rejuvenation session. Spa treatments are on offer at a secluded lakeside haven 20 minutes away from the hotel, to which transport can be arranged.
- To book, check prices or availability for Arctic TreeHouse Hotel
18. Wilderness Hotel Nellim & Igloos – a charming, eco-friendly and elegant accommodation ideal for those who are adventure enthusiasts
Furnished in typical Lappish style, a bountiful array of pinewood and local memorabilia gives this hotel its unique charm, and its splendid isolation adds a frontier living vibe.
Outside, the hanging fairy lights create a year-round festive feel, and a relaxed ambiance is bolstered through many lamps and candles. The 23 rooms boast pale wood floors and luxurious rugs and cushions, while featuring private saunas. You can choose to stay in an ‘Aurora bubble’, a glass igloo, or a glass pyramid, all of which boast sparkling views of the Northern Lights.
Snowshoeing the woods at night, camping out on the frozen lake, and private Aurora safaris in a heated sled are just some of the spectacular activities on offer at Nellim Wilderness Hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Wilderness Hotel Nellim & Igloos
19. Aurora Pyramid Glass Igloos – a rustic, classic and petite accommodation offering a complimentary continental buffet breakfast
With 11 premium glass igloos dispersed across the Finnish countryside, the wooden, minimalist interiors provide a sense of comfort while the tremendous glass ceilings welcome the Aurora Borealis.
These private havens are situated close to one another yet designed so that the only thing you can see from your home is the vast effervescence of the northern sky.
Each igloo boasts its very own seating area tucked neatly behind the bed, and comes equipped with modern comforts to guarantee a memorable stay.
Located deep in the wilderness, a stay here comes with free parking, and some of Lapland’s most popular attractions can be reached within a half-hour drive.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aurora Pyramid Glass Igloos
20. Top Star Saariselkä – Arctic Glass Cubes – a hip, stylish and vibrant accommodation well equipped for an unforgettable stay
Located close to the tree-lined peak of Saariselkä’s Kaunispää fell, this 4-star hotel offers ski-to-door access. With holiday apartments boasting a unified kitchen and lounge, guests can engage in social activity with like-minded travellers, as well as retreat to their own private, star-lit haven.
With individual terraces peering out over the stunning wilderness, each cube is designed to bring the very best of Lappish nature right to your own pod.
Each cube comes with state-of-the-art equipment including a flat-screen TV with a Chromecast media player, an air-source heat pump, motor beds for 2, and a drying cabinet for clothes.
- To book, check prices or availability for Top Star Saariselkä – Arctic Glass Cubes
We also have posts on…
- Cool and trendy hotels in Helsinki
- Cool and trendy hotels in Reykjavik
- Cool and trendy hotels in Oslo
- Cool and trendy hotels in Stockholm
- Cool and trendy hotels in Copenhagen
- Cool and trendy hotels in Amsterdam
- Cool and trendy hotels in Berlin
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/