Lucerne is a beautiful city in the heart of Switzerland that has added a touch of modernity to its medieval architectural routes, and is embedded within a jaw-dropping mountain panorama. This enchanting city is set on the picturesque Lake Lucerne, and historic houses decorated with frescoes line the surrounding town squares.
One of Europe’s oldest bridges serves as Lucerne’s centrepiece and is decorated with pictures representing the city’s storied past. Lucerne’s eclectic hotels radiate its historic charm, and range from arty boutiques to luxury, lakeside resorts. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Lucerne, Switzerland (in no particular order)...
1. HERMITAGE Lake Lucerne – a trendy, vibrant and modern hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs to enjoy a relaxing getaway
Here we have Lucerne’s only lake-fronted hotel, where the full expanse of this mesmerizing body of water can be viewed from every room.
The sleek glass exterior adds a dazzling contrast against the effervescent backdrop of the lake, Mount Pilatus, and the snow-capped Alps, setting a tone of luxury for your visit.
The hotel’s lush, manicured lawn is perfect for sunbathing, or simply for soaking up the classis Swiss beauty with the addition of a smooth-as-silk service.
At Hermitage, you can relish balmy evenings on the outdoor Sea-terrace, enjoy post-dinner drinks at Apéro, and savour cosmopolitan Swiss cuisine at the on-site restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for HERMITAGE Lake Lucerne
2. The Hotel Lucerne, Autograph Collection – a pet-friendly, unique and contemporary hotel within walking distance to the sights and attractions of city
This Jean Nouvel-designed, Parisian inspired property is blissfully located beside an adjacent park in the heart of Lucerne.
The interiors bear the classic hallmark of Nouvel’s work – the interplay of wood and steel in the panelling. A soothing, understated corridor leads you to your studio or suite, all of which feature garden or park views and offer state-of-the-art amenities.
Each room has a distinctive theme, and creates a cinematic experience through individual projections depicting film scenes from Nouvel’s own personal background. At Hotel Lucerne, you can savour excellent cocktails in the HATO Bar & Lounge, as well as exotic Asian-Fusion cuisine in the stunning HATO Restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Hotel Lucerne, Autograph Collection
3. AMERON Luzern Hotel Flora – a stylish, urban and newly renovated hotel with quirky features in a location perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Welcoming you to the beating heart of Lucerne, set between the lake and the Alps, Ameron combines Swiss originality with urban flair. Here, fresh colours and a contemporary, functional design meets plush natural materials, bound by an aesthetic of sleek minimalism.
A vivid contrast of colours and artwork characterizes the thoughtfully appointed guestrooms, which pair trendsetting amenities with home comforts.
The on-site restaurant is designed in the style of a cosy trattoria, and sprinkles a dash of retro onto a predominantly Italian style of wooden décor. Ameron also offers a modern gym area, where you can benefit from trainer hours and a varied course programme to keep up with your fitness needs.
- To book, check prices or availability for AMERON Luzern Hotel Flora
4. Cascada Boutique Hotel – a themed, chic and contemporary hotel ideally located to explore the city
Cascada is the perfect basecamp for your trip to Lucerne, and an idyllic starting point to explore the Swiss Alps. You will find the hotel nestled in the centre of the trendy new town, just a few minutes’ walk from the city’s beautiful lake and architectural landmarks.
A modern, boutique-style permeates the 74 guestrooms, which are individually themed around majestic Swiss waterfalls. The famous BOLERO Restaurant offers an assorted breakfast buffet providing the fuel for an action-packed day in the peaceful surrounds, and spoils guests with Spanish specialties at lunchtime.
At dinner time, you can enjoy delicious Tapas and Paellas alongside a carefully curated selection of wines and gins.
- To book, check prices or availability for Cascada Boutique Hotel
5. Hotel Seeburg – a quirky, charming and trendy hotel that blends historic tradition with modern-day lifestyle
More than just a lakeside abode, Hotel Seeburg is a trendy melting pot of discerning travellers which gallantly coalesces tradition with modernity.
Besides its status as one of Lucerne’s most charming hotels, Seeburg is also an acclaimed event location, where large festivals are held. Having accommodated guests for over 150 years, the hotel has curated an impressive design, and the spacious guestrooms are all positioned with a supreme vantage point over the shimmering lake and the wild expanse of forest.
In the evening, prepare to be pampered with culinary delights and five-star beverages in either the Lake Bistro, the See Bistro, or the next-door Sunset Bar.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Seeburg
6. Hotel Astoria – one of the most attractive hotels in Lucerne offering guests an Insta-worthy, urban and design boutique stay
This light-flooded four-star masterpiece offers an idyllic urban retreat in the heart of Lucerne.
Its futuristic façade provides panoramic views of the centuries-old buildings and alleys through many window areas. Hotel Astoria is designed by world famous architects and provides a luxury home from home, alongside exquisite culinary offerings across a handful of award-winning restaurants.
The Thai Garden restaurant, La Cucina, The Mekong, and The Pacifico all offer individual design touches, and each one boasts an eclectic atmosphere making for a memorable evening. You can also take advantage of the on-site coffee shop, as well as a charming selection of bars and lounges.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Astoria
7. BOUTIQUE Hotel by Continental Park – one of the first bike hotels in Switzerland that offers a quiet, bright and hip stay
Welcoming visitors to an atmosphere of industrial chic and modern functionality, this graceful boutique hotel offers a charming open-air terrace hangout, a fitness centre, and a vibrant restaurant.
Each room is equipped with an ergonomic workstation, a minibar, and a flat-screen HDTV, while cocooning you with plush bedding to evoke a homely feel. Characterized by a strong focus on human connection and family-style intimacy, the hotel offers a handful of cosy nooks which are draped in luxurious elements and contemporary furnishings.
Original dishes and fine wines can be enjoyed at the on-site restaurant ‘Bellini Locanda Ticinese’, amid a friendly atmosphere suffused by bright tones and ambient lighting.
- To book, check prices or availability for BOUTIQUE Hotel by Continental Park
8. Art Deco Hotel Montana – a lavish, creative and award-winning hotel where guests can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views overlooking the lake
Prepare to be pleasantly struck by an Art Deco-meets-21st-century flair at this stunning hotel, as you get whisked from ground level to the lobby on Switzerland’s shortest funicular.
Once you arrive, an old-world style is beautified by the epic backdrop of Mount Pilatus, Lake Lucerne, and Bürgenstock. A spiral staircase, high ceilings, and mosaic tiling blissfully contrast the clean aesthetic and geometric patterns, with subtle nods modernity in the form of striking lighting, luxurious fabrics, and bespoke wood furnishings.
A mix of striped, checkerboard and ziggurat patterns fill the sleek guestrooms, while a muted, monochrome colour scheme is embellished by the occasional pop of ruby red and gold.
The glass-fronted Scala Restaurant offers enthralling Lake views, and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner in a charming, Swiss-meets-Mediterranean ambiance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Art Deco Hotel Montana
9. Penthouse by Art Deco Hotel Montana – a unique, design and stylish hotel featuring upscale spa facilities within the rooms
Combining an Art Deco flair with 21st-century luxury, The Montana is perched high above the mountain-fringed Lake Lucerne, and offers breathtaking views, innovative cuisine, and graceful moments of downtime at the Beach Club.
One of its private spa properties, The Penthouse, is located on the 5th and 6th floors and boasts a Jacuzzi on its own secluded roof terrace.
The in-room experience consists of a spa bath, a steam shower, a Nespresso coffee machine, and a Bang & Olufsen Beo Vision TV. & Audio System. In the evening, you can head to The Scala Restaurant to savour light Mediterranean cuisine on a palm-tree-lined terrace offering sweeping views of the bucolic countryside.
- To book, check prices or availability for Penthouse by Art Deco Hotel Montana
10. Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern – an elegant, 5-star boutique hotel located in the heart of the Old Town
Situated directly on Lake Lucerne in the immediate vicinity of the city’s vibrant centre, Hotel Schweizerhof has been providing a first-rate accommodation service to visitors for over 150 years.
Besides an intimate hospitality service, guests can also enjoy top event programmes on-site, with concerts covering all kinds of genres taking place.
The 101 stylish guestrooms invite you to feel completely at ease amid unique objets d’art, quotes, and furnishings. After you indulge in a wellness session at the in-house spa, you can enjoy gourmet cuisine on the lake at Villa Schweizerhof, or embrace a Southern ambiance with a view at the sun terrace.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Schweizerhof Luzern
11. Château Gütsch – an upscale, historic and elegant hotel where guests can experience cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs
The boutique hotel Château Gütsch has been inviting visitors to rest for over 140 years, and is graced by total quietude amid Lucerne’s local hill ‘Gütsch’.
The views from the entire property are nothing short of magical, with an expanse of mountain, lake, and greenery gleaming from as far as the eye can see. The 37 guestrooms evoke the feel of a castle, and combine a historical charm with the comfort of plush linens, comfy beds, and spacious seating areas.
A stay here is incomplete without a visit to Lumières, the hotel’s gourmet restaurant ready to guide you on a culinary journey of discovery. Here, you will be treated to creations of award-winning chefs from morning to night.
- To book, check prices or availability for Château Gütsch
12. Boutique Hotel Weisses Kreuz – Adult only Hotel – a fancy, cozy and traditional hotel where guests can enjoy an intimate setting
Weisses Kreuz invites you to a peaceful reprieve in the heart of Lucerne’s historical area, with 20 boutique-style rooms and suites designed with the ultimate tranquillity in mind.
Undergoing a head-to-toe redesign in 2016, this Adults-only retreat is dressed in elegant décor, yet maintains a nod to its traditional roots through gracious chandeliers and vaulted ceilings.
The in-house restaurant serves classic Italian cuisine, which you can enjoy beneath the sun on the terrace. If this doesn’t tickle your fancy, you can also benefit from a discount at Switzerland’s first Chinese Restaurant Li Tai Pe, situated directly in front of the hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boutique Hotel Weisses Kreuz – Adult only Hotel
13. Altstadt Hotel Magic Luzern – a charming, creative and vibrant accommodation surrounded by the city’s famous shopping area
Offering Lucerne’s most gorgeous location on the historic Kornmarkt in the middle of the shopping and pedestrian zone, Magic offers stunning views of the town hall and the River Reuss.
Each guestroom is lovingly furnished in a culturally distinctive style, whether you choose the majestic Lionheart Suite, the luxurious King Suite, or the classic & chic Baroque Suite. All boast a minibar, a Delizio coffee machine, and ultra-high-velocity Wi-Fi.
An epic weekender here is incomplete without a visit to the mysterious and stylish Des Balances, the hotel’s gourmet restaurant. Here, a blissful interior and first-rate culinary offerings make for a memorable romantic dinner, and contribute to the restaurant’s popularity amongst locals.
- To book, check prices or availability for Altstadt Hotel Magic Luzern
14. Villa Maria – a chic, petite and art guest house surrounded by a beautiful garden
Recently renovated to bring a 21st-century flair to this extravagant 1950s boutique, Villa Maria is surrounded by a manicured garden and set only 50 metres from the shores of Lake Lucerne.
The 6 guestrooms and 2 suites all shine in splendour, and invite stunning bucolic vistas through large windows. You can take advantage of a well-stocked mini bar offering drinks and snacks, which is refilled daily and included in the price of an overnight stay.
The hotel’s design and quirky, avant-garde artwork evoke an air of boutique charm, and are beautifully harmonized with a vivid colour scheme.
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa Maria
15. The Lubo – self check-in – New Opening – a modern, cool and bright accommodation steps away from an array of interesting dining options
The Lubo is a serene place to linger, connect, and create, owing to its innovative hostel concept which brings travellers from all walks of life together.
In the guestrooms, modern comfort meets trailblazing design, topped with individuality and intimacy. For breakfast, you can enjoy the neighbourhood’s best freshly squeezed juices and croissants, while at lunch time you can experience the Asian world of street food in Rokka Café & Bar.
This eclectic space gets loud and colourful in the evening, with sparkling cocktails and in-house DJ’s bringing a breath of fresh air to the discerning traveller. The Lubo is beautifully situated in the centre of the historic Old Town, a mere 200-metre walk from the shores of Lake Lucerne.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Lubo – self check-in – New Opening
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Zurich
- Cool boutique hotels in Basel
- Cool boutique hotels in Venice
- Cool boutique hotels in Graz
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool boutique hotels in Munich
- Cool boutique hotels in Lake Geneva
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lausanne
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Strasbourg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bern
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.