A rare gem of Spain’s glorious Costa del Sol region, Malaga is one of the most budget-friendly European destinations for an action-packed adventure. Travellers will feel spoiled for choice at the city’s abundance of art museums and galleries, as Malaga is the hometown of the legendary Spanish painter, Pablo Picasso.
The city is also home to golden sandy beaches, nature reserves and rewarding hiking trails deep in the Montes de Málaga Range. Malaga’s historical landmarks, museums and palaces transport history buffs back in time, offering a unique glimpse into ancient Andalusia.
Our roundup of the top cool and unique hotels in Malaga, Spain, will help you find the perfect accommodation for your adventure, from boutique hotels and vacation rentals to B&Bs and luxury resorts (in no particular order)...
1. H10 Croma Málaga – a hip, trendy and very Instagrammable hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
Offering an ideal location in the heart of the city, H10 Croma allows travellers to explore Malaga’s iconic tourist attractions and popular hangout spots on foot. Designed by ace architect Rafael Moneo, the H10 is an architectural wonder with its chromatic tones and geometric shapes.
The hip hotel offers an extensive lineup of comfortable rooms, multiple dining options, 3 meeting rooms, a fitness studio, onsite bars, and a plunge pool overlooking the cityscape. The rooms and suites feature bespoke furniture, high-end amenities and private terraces with outdoor furniture.
Guests can browse through multiple categories, including Superior Double Rooms, Deluxe Rooms, Croma Suites and Family Rooms. A cool place to party or just relax and be seen!
- To book, check prices or availability for H10 Croma Málaga
2. Soho Boutique Castillo de Santa Catalina – Adults Recommended – a stunning one-of-a-kind boutique accommodation housed in a 1932 Moorish-style castle which has Insta-worthy views of the Mediterranean Sea
Soho Boutique Castillo de Santa Catalina radiates historic charm with its 1932 architecture inspired by the Arab Renaissance. This grand palace positions travellers in the upscale neighbourhood of El Limonar, 250 meters from La Caleta Beach and within proximity to the city centre.
Castillo de Santa Catalina offers exquisitely decorated rooms and suites, equipped with flat-screen TVs, individual climate control and minibars. The rooms at this cool Malaga hotel and lounging spaces have been lovingly restored to retain historic architectural details like the intricate columns, wooden beam ceilings and curved entryways.
The venue boasts an outdoor dining area overlooking the sea and a terrace bar lounge with a sun deck.
- To book, check prices or availability for Soho Boutique Castillo de Santa Catalina – Adults Recommended
3. Vincci Selección Posada del Patio – a trendy, refined and elegant hotel located in the heart of beautiful Malaga
One of the finest accommodations in Malaga’s historic quarters, the Vincci Seleccion Posada del Patio attracts history and culture enthusiasts with its fabulous location near the city’s most iconic landmarks and cultural sites.
The hotel offers unparalleled amenities, including a rooftop plunge pool, meeting rooms, an onsite gourmet restaurant, and an Andalusian patio. Travellers can find their match in the hotel’s lineup of 106 rooms and suites, adorned with fine furniture and warm hues.
The hotel serves a hearty spread of sweet and savoury treats in the breakfast room each morning and offers direct access to the old wall of Malaga.
- To book, check prices or availability for Vincci Selección Posada del Patio
4. Room Mate Valeria – a cool and ultra-chic boutique hotel that offers great facilities including a seasonal rooftop plunge pool
A designer hotel inspired by Malaga’s colourful gardens and coastline, Room Mate Valeria commands a charming street presence with its 18th and 19th-century architecture. This chic hotel offers 61 guest rooms, an onsite gym, a swimming pool and an Andalusian patio with wicker lounge chairs.
The guest rooms play up the colours of the city and the sea with a thoughtful selection of practical amenities, including full-body mirrors, workstations, flatscreen TVs, minibars, coffee and tea-making facilities, and high-speed WiFi.
Each morning, guests are greeted with a breakfast spread featuring fresh fruits, sweet treats, baked goods, Spanish omelettes, sausages and cold meats.
- To book, check prices or availability for Room Mate Valeria
5. Only YOU Hotel Málaga – a chic, modern and upscale pet-friendly hotel that features a modern interior
Established in one of Malaga’s most well-known buildings, La Equitative, the Only You Hotel is nestled on the Calle Marques de Larios street, right across the harbour. This location is ideal to connect with the city’s culture and nightlife and enjoy proximity to local attractions.
The rooms and suites play up a delightful blend of urban Mediterranean influences with an art deco flair and state-of-the-art amenities. Guests can explore multiple categories, including Classic and Deluxe Rooms, Junior Suites and Junior Suites with private terraces overlooking the marina.
Only You is also home to Lola, a fine dining establishment with sweeping views of Malaga’s rooftops and historic landmarks.
- To book, check prices or availability for Only YOU Hotel Málaga
6. ICON Malabar – a stylish colonial-style boutique hotel set in one of Malaga’s most iconic neighbourhoods
Icon Malabar promises an unforgettable experience in Malaga’s fashionable Soho District, one of the best neighbourhoods to feel the beat of the city. The hotel’s architecture pays homage to Andalusian history and traditions with its Carthaginian and Roman influences.
Travellers can explore an extensive selection of accommodations, including double rooms with sprawling balconies, junior suites, and quadruple rooms. All accommodations are well-equipped with king-sized beds, ensuite bathrooms, in-room appliances, soundproof windows, and central air conditioning and heating.
Guests are served an open buffet-style breakfast each morning, while the onsite Salsa Menta Café specializes in flavorful local delicacies prepared with healthy ingredients.
- To book, check prices or availability for ICON Malabar
7. Palacio Solecio, a Small Luxury Hotel of the World – a sophisticated hotel where guests can immerse themselves in historic elegance and charm
The Palacio Solecio invites culture and history enthusiasts to spend their Malaga vacation in an 18th-century Andalusian Palace, nestled in the heart of Calle Granada, the old Jewish quarters.
This former palace has bagged the title of the Best Urban Hotel 2022 by Condé Nast Traveler Spain, and the regal experience is certainly worthy of acclaim.
Palacio Solecio offers an impressive lineup of luxury accommodations, categorized as Suite, Tower, Palacio Junior Suite, Palacio Deluxe, Deluxe Double and Solecio Double. Each unit offers an intimate setting with warm hues, living areas, private terraces and delightful views of the old town and its historical sites.
- To book, check prices or availability for Palacio Solecio, a Small Luxury Hotel of the World
8. Soho Boutique Urban – a funky Mediterranean-style boutique hotel that is the perfect home away from home
An urban hotel in the centre of Malaga, the Soho Urban Boutique offers a family-friendly environment, a central location and a wealth of modern amenities. The hotel’s accommodations include Double Rooms, Double Superior Rooms, and Triple Rooms.
All rooms are equipped with TVs, minibars, coffee makers, ensuite bathrooms and luxurious linens, but the upgraded rooms offer more space and amenities. The 7th floor is home to the LA7 Terrace Restaurant, a popular dining venue boasting the best views of the Calle Larios.
The Soho Boutique is a great choice for travellers planning to explore Malaga on foot, as it brings innumerable attractions and restaurants within walking distance. Guests can stroll over to the Centro de Arte Contemporáneo de Málaga and the Santísimo Cristo de la Buena Muerte.
- To book, check prices or availability for Soho Boutique Urban
9. AC Hotel Málaga Palacio by Marriott – a cool and trendy hotel where guests can appreciate views of Malaga’s port as well as great design
Nestled between the Paseo del Parque and the Malaga Cathedral, the AC Hotel offers an unbeatable location to explore local beaches, historical sites and entertainment venues without exhaustingly long commutes. It offers proximity to La Malagueta Beach, the Alcazaba, and the Castillo de Gibralfaro Castle.
The hotel offers modern accommodations, multiple onsite dining options, a rooftop pool, a fitness studio, meeting spaces and business-friendly amenities. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, plasma TVs, high-speed internet, and in-room appliances.
The onsite AC Malaga Palacio Restaurant specializes in Mediterranean cuisine under the guidance of the talented Chef Joaquin Munoz. Guests can enjoy flavorful drinks and poolside ambience at the Atico Restaurant and Bar.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel Málaga Palacio by Marriott
10. Vincci Larios Diez – easily one of the coolest hotels to stay in Malaga perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Nestled in the iconic Calle Larios neighbourhood, Vincci Larios Diez offers a brilliant location to immerse oneself in Malaga’s art, culture, gastronomy, history and retail scene.
Housed in a historic building dating back to 1821, this lovingly restored hotel features an extensive collection of guest rooms divided across 7 floors. Travellers can explore an array of double rooms and suites, each offering distinct amenities, furniture and views of the city’s prominent landmarks and natural sites.
The onsite El Taller restaurant offers a uniquely creative dining experience with a beautiful terrace overlooking the magnificent cathedral. Guests have access to a world-class spa area featuring a pool with waterbeds, a reflexology hall, a Turkish bath, a Finnish sauna, ice fountains, and a beauty treatment area.
- To book, check prices or availability for Vincci Larios Diez
11. Vincci Málaga – a hip high-end seafront design hotel with a sleek and chic design
Vincci Malaga delights discerning luxury travellers with indulgent amenities, including a gourmet restaurant, an outdoor bar with terrace, and lavish accommodations featuring cutting-edge innovations.
This urban hotel captures the warmth of a homely beach hotel and the luxuries of a high-end resort, curating an ideal experience for a fun-filled seaside getaway. Guests can explore multiple room categories, including Superior Sea View Rooms, Double/Twin Rooms, and Junior Suites.
The onsite Ocean Restaurant serves traditional Mediterranean fares prepared with a modern flair and locally farmed produce. Some onsite amenities include conference rooms, complimentary breakfast, 24-hour reception, luggage storage, conference rooms and private parking spaces.
- To book, check prices or availability for Vincci Málaga
12. Dulces Dreams Boutique Hotel – a cool and sleek boutique hotel close to great attractions and major shops
Nestled in the heart of Malaga across from the Church of the Holy Martyrs, the Dulces Dreams Boutique Hotel is within proximity to La Malagueta Beach, the Picasso Museum, and the Carmen Thyssen Museum.
Dulces Dreams features 8 elegant rooms overlooking the Church, and guests can choose between accommodations with private and shared bathrooms. The upgraded rooms offer private balconies, ensuite bathrooms, and bath amenities. All accommodations feature rare vintage pieces, handcrafted furniture and luxurious bedding.
Guests enjoy access to an onsite snack bar, a sun terrace and high-speed WiFi throughout the premises. The location is ideal to experience Malaga’s diverse food scene, with multiple streetside vendors, restaurants and bars nearby.
- To book, check prices or availability for Dulces Dreams Boutique Hotel
13. Hotel Brö-Adults Only – a colourful, kitsch, and fun party hotel to stay in Malaga
A new entrant to Malaga’s hospitality sector, Hotel Bro endorses a refreshing new concept of relaxation with its comfortable accommodations, practical amenities and relaxing atmosphere. The hotel is home to a beautiful 15-meter-high natural garden, a rooftop pool and beach club, and a Balinese-style chillout area with hammocks and lounging furniture.
Luxury travelers can opt for the Premium Pool Room with a private pool and terrace, while the Garden View Room and Balcony Bro Room offer serene settings to relax and immerse in nature. Guests can also explore budget-friendly standard and economy rooms on the ground floor.
Staying at Hotel Bro is all about relaxation and restoration in a venue filled with plants, seasonal blooms and soothing colors.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Brö-Adults Only
14. Casa Eden – Mountain View, Infinity Pool – a rustic-chic guesthouse that is surrounded by breathtaking nature views
Casa Eden is an oasis of luxury with stunning mountain views, an outdoor infinity pool, a fitness studio and a garden. This upscale guest house is situated far from the bustling crowds, deep in the wilderness of the Sierra De Las Nieves National Park.
The views of the rolling hills and mountains are stunning, and enjoyable from the bedrooms, shared spaces, outdoor pool and garden. The guest rooms are furnished with bespoke furniture, air conditioning, bedding and linens, and in-room appliances, including an oven, a fridge and a kettle.
Some of the rooms feature expansive terraces to soak up the mountain sun and enjoy the wilderness.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Eden – Mountain View, Infinity Pool
15. Luxury B&B Villa Tauro – an upmarket boutique bed & breakfast embraced by tropical trees
Situated right next to a world-class golf course and a 10-minute stroll from the Calahonda Beach, Villa Tauro tempts nature lovers with its pristine setting on the Riviera del Sol. This luxury hideout is ideal for travelers planning to explore local beaches, offering proximity to Playa de Calahonda, El Bombo Beach and La Cala Beach.
The villa offers 4 guest rooms divided across two floors. Each guest room features a private entrance, Smart TVs, modern appliances, and finely crafted furniture.
The premises offers multiple onsite amenities, including a swimming pool, a jacuzzi in the sea-facing garden, outdoor showers, and complimentary breakfast.
- To book, check prices or availability for Luxury B & B Villa Tauro
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Barcelona
- Cool boutique hotels in Madrid
- Cool boutique hotels in San Sebastian
- Cool boutique hotels in Majorca
- Cool boutique hotels in Ibiza
- Cool boutique hotels in Lisbon
- Cool boutique hotels in Porto
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Valencia
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Seville
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bilbao
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Granada
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Alicante
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cascais
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ronda
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Girona
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Magaluf
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.