One of the most dreamy and romantic travel destinations in the world, much-loved Maui – also known as “The Valley Isle” – is the second largest island in Hawaii. Attracting both vacationers and nature lovers there are many gorgeous reasons to visit this wonderful place but stand-out highlights include the extraordinary sunrise and sunset from Haleakala, the migrating humpback whales, the locally sourced cuisine, the sacred Iao Valley, breathtaking scenery, awesome snorkelling opportunities and of course the world-famous beautiful beaches.
A special place deserves extra-special places to stay, so from unique and intimate boutiques to grand and modern, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Maui, Hawaii (in no particular order)...
1. Montage Kapalua Bay – an elegant and very Instagrammable upscale resort that provides the perfect setting for a glowing sunset
A fancy upscale cool and contemporary hotel overlooking Namalu Bay and spanning 24 acres of beachfront gardens in Lahaina. The refined hotel is a 20-minute walk from the famous Dragon’s Teeth rock Formations.
One- to four-bedroom condos at Montage Kapalua Bay feature island-inspired decor and modern furnishings. All condos have full kitchens, living areas, and private balconies with ocean or garden views.
An on-site Hawaiian restaurant, an informal bistro, a gift shop for local goods, a spa, and an outdoor pool with a poolside bar, sundeck, and cabanas are also available.
- Address: 1 Bay Dr, Lahaina, HI 96761, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Montage Kapalua Bay
2. Hotel Wailea, Relais & Châteaux – Adults Only – an exclusive trendy resort that offers breathtaking ocean views
Nestled on a tropical cliff off Kaukahi Street, The Hotel Wailea, Relais & Chateaux Adults Only is an adults-only hotel featuring cascading waterfalls, lush gardens, and winding trails.
The 5-star hotel spans fifteen acres of Zen-inspired landscaped grounds overlooking Maui’s southern coastline. The secluded hotel offers exquisite views of three Hawaiian Islands and nearby mountains.
One-bedroom suites at Hotel Wailea, Relais & Châteaux have kitchenettes, separate living rooms, bathrooms with soaking tubs, and private verandas with breathtaking ocean views. Basic amenities like free Wi-Fi, 40-inch flatscreen TVs, paid in-room massage, and iPod docks are also available.
All guests have access to a private section of Wailea Beach and weekly canoeing excursions. On-site amenities include an elegant Mediterranean restaurant, an outdoor pool with cabanas and a hot tub, and a fitness center with yoga classes.
- Address: 555 Kaukahi St, Wailea, HI 96753, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Wailea, Relais & Châteaux – Adults Only
3. Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort – A Concept by Hyatt – a chic, modern and hip resort hotel overlooking Mokapu Beach perfect for party-loving Millenials and Gen Zs
A luxury beachfront contemporary hotel with stunning ocean views from the rooms, the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort has direct beach access, regional farm-to-table food, and genuine Polynesian cultural experiences that will all add up to an unforgettable vacation in Hawaii.
The light, airy, spacious interiors are highlighted with traditional wood sculptures and tropical greenery to capture the essential spirit of the island.
The restful decor in neutrals with wood furniture keeps the focus on the view from the picture windows. Larger groups can opt for villas, with more space and privacy.
One of the major highlights of your stay will be the luau feast at Mokapu with music and dance depicting Hawaiian history and culture.
Though with amenities like a rooftop bar, a series of swimming pools, and the Āwili Spa and Salon, and delicious fresh meals at the restaurants like Ka’ana Kitchen and Morimoto Maui, you may never want to leave.
- Address: 3550 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, HI 96753, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort
4. Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, A Waldorf Astoria Resort – a chic and very Instagrammable upscale resort set on 40 acres of tropical gardens bordering Wailea Beach
The Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa stands among lush tropical gardens right on Wailea Beach, which is regularly voted one of the best beaches in America.
The decor is modern, understated and elegant, and you’ll find pieces from the hotel’s famous collection of museum-quality art around the property.
Guests are offered a host of culturally immersive and fun activities: you can learn hula dancing or how to play the ukulele, join in a beach yoga session, enjoy water sports like windsurfing and paddle boating, laze in one of the nine swimming pools, join a scuba clinic, relax at the spa, and go shopping at the resort and nearby
Unique dining venues include the beachfront award-winning Humuhumunukunukuapua’a restaurant, an informal lounge, bistro, the Grotto Bar bar and a BBQ truck, with fresh seafood, cocktails and views of the vivid Maui sunsets.
Island attractions like the fabled Road to Hana, hiking trips to the tropical forests and waterfalls of upcountry Maui, and the Haleakalā crater are within easy reach. Guests have the chance to volunteer at the Waiheʻe Coastal Dunes & Wetland Refuge and Nuʻu Refuge.
- Address: 3850 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, HI 96753, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Wailea Resort Hotel & Spa, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
5. Royal Lahaina Resort & Bungalows – a beautiful, trendy and unique stay fronting the best and most exclusive stretch of Kaanapali Beach
At the Royal Lahaina Resort and Bungalows, you can stay in one of the namesake bungalows or the Lahaina Kai tower, both of which are located on a beach that used to be the vacation home of Hawaiian royalty.
The spacious rooms have stunning ocean views from the floor-to-ceiling windows and clean, modern decor with patios or balconies.
Nearby attractions include the richly forested ʻIao Valley State Monument with its famous geological feature Kuka‘emoku better known as ʻIao Needle, the historic Old Town Lahaina and Lahaina Harbor, and the mystical Haleakala Crater with its must-see sunrise.
At the resort, you can join in the famous The Myths Of Maui Luau on the beach with feasting, dancing and traditional lei ceremonies, or take classes on making flower leis and puka shell jewelry.
The stylish hotel has three pools, hot tubs and a fitness center on site, as well as the Royal Ocean Terrace Restaurant & Lounge with stunning views, the Beach Bar which also serves poolside drinks, and an ice cream shop.
- Address: 2780 Kekaa Dr, Lahaina, HI 96761, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Royal Lahaina Resort & Bungalows
6. Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa – a lush oceanfront upscale Maui resort located near the legendary Puu Kekaa on Kaanapali Beach
At the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa, a top-rated hotel, you experience Hawaii at its most spectacular, with a 23-acre property set right on Ka‘anapali Beach, where the lava flow of Pu‘u Keka‘a or Black Rock meets the sea. The interiors have a muted decor to give center stage to the view outside through floor-to-ceiling windows.
And what a view it is, looking out over lush tropical greenery, clear turquoise seas with the neighboring islands of Molokai and Lanai set like gemstones, surf-worthy waves and amazing sunsets. Occasionally you’ll see humpback whales out in the ocean swimming by on their own business.
On-site you’ll find swimming pools and a spa, and dining options that include the beachside Sandbar. There’s a choice of restaurants serving fresh seafood and fine wines along with much else.
An unforgettable touch is the nightly cliff diving or Lele Kawa ritual, which you can join in or watch from the comfort of the Cliff Dive Grill with a Black Rock Mai Tai in your hand.
- Address: 2605 Kaanapali Pkwy, Lahaina, HI 96761, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
7. Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui – a fun and vibrant oceanfront hotel perfectly placed within steps of the ocean
For the quintessential idyllic Hawaiian vacation, the Wailea Beach Resort is just a few steps from two of the best beaches in Hawaii.
This is a great place to stay for family-friendly activities like snorkeling, cruises, hiking, helicopter rides, turtle tours and whale watching during the season.
For the grown-ups there are championship-level golf courses, a spa and fitness center, and a kids club to keep them busy while you enjoy a candlelight dinner.
Dining choices include the signature Humble Market Kitchin by chef Roy Yamaguchi, the KAPA Bar & Grill, a coffee house, food truck and a couple of poolside bars.
The residential-style rooms and suites are designed for comfort with plush bedding, ocean views and balconies or lanais to enjoy the Maui sunsets. For those wanting to get to know Hawaiian culture, the Te Au Moana (“The Ocean Tide”) luau with music, stories, dancing and a traditional Polynesian feast under the stars is not to be missed.
- Address: 3700 Wailea Alanui Dr, Wailea, HI 96753
- To book, check prices or availability for Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
8. Hana-Maui Resort, a Destination by Hyatt Residence – a cool luxury Boutique hotel in the quiet resort of Wailea
The Road to Hana is a famous and picturesque 52-mile highway along the north coast of Maui, with enough hairpin bends to make driving a white-knuckle experience.
Those adventurers who want to break the hair-raising journey overnight can stay at the Hana-Maui Resort. But if you’re just looking for coastal charm and the welcoming aloha spirit, that’s fine too, you’ll find plenty of it as well at this boutique hotel.
The traditional bungalow-style buildings are situated on an emerald green hillside overlooking the ocean. Rooms, suites and family residences have ocean or garden views, wood floors, a soothing, muted decor and outside seating where you can relax and listen to the waves crashing on the shore below.
Amenities include a spa, two restaurants with local produce on the menu, and a poolside bar. When you can tear yourself away from this oasis of luxury, you’ll find plenty to do in the area, with famous beaches including the Black Sand and Red Sand beaches, tropical rainforests with waterfalls, horse trails and the Pacific Ocean.
- Address: 5031 Hana Hwy, Hana, HI 96713, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hana-Maui Resort Maui
9. AC Hotel by Marriott Maui Wailea – a stylish hotel that is steps away from golden beaches
AC Hotel by Marriott Maui Wailea is a beautiful rustic-chic hotel located in Wailea Town Center. The hotel has a relaxed ambiance and is within walking distance of Ulua Beach, Wailea Beach, and Mokapu Beach.
Rooms at AC Hotel by Marriott Maui Wailea have a wide range of amenities including flatscreen TVs, Wi-Fi, minifridges, coffeemakers, and balconies offering stunning views of the Pacific Ocean. Sofa Beds are available in upgraded rooms.
There’s a casual eatery dishing out authentic Hawaiian dishes like laulau, and poi. A stunning outdoor pool, a hot tub, a lobby lounge, and a gym are also available.
- Address: 88 Wailea Ike Pl, Wailea, HI 96753, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel by Marriott Maui Wailea
10. The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Ka’anapali – a cool and unusual beach resort that provides world-class facilities
A lively modern beach resort nestled in palm tree-filled grounds near Ka’anapali Beach along the Pacific Ocean. The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Ka’anapali, is a deluxe hotel featuring refined one to three-bedroom suites with kitchenettes, separate living rooms, and balconies.
Free Wi-Fi, flatscreen TVs, and soaking tubs are available in all rooms, while some add pull-out sofas and ocean views.
Other resort amenities include a sophisticated eatery, a cafe, a convenience store, a BBQ area with a fire pit, a gym, and a spa area. There are two outdoor pools including an expansive lagoon-style pool with a poolside bar and a children’s pool with a play area.
- Address: Vistana, 45 Kai Malina Pkwy, Lahaina, HI 96761, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas, Ka’anapali
11. Kohea Kai Maui, Ascend Hotel Collection – one of the most beautiful boutique hotels in Hawaii
Kohea Kai Maui Ascend Hotel Collection is a cute, adults-only hotel overlooking the Pacific Ocean. If you are looking for a quiet place to stay in Maui, you won’t find a hotel as reasonable as Kohea Kai Maui.
It is a 1-minute walk from the beach and provides easy access to a myriad of activities including, surfing, snorkeling, hiking, and beach sports.
The mid-range hotel has well-appointed rooms with a wide range of amenities, including coffee makers, minifridges, flat-screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, and garden or ocean views. Some rooms have kitchenettes, while suites add separate living areas, private balconies, and Jacuzzi tubs.
Kohea Kai Maui also features an outdoor pool, two hot tubs, and a rooftop terrace. All guests have access to the BBQ facilities on the rooftop deck.
- Address: 551 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Kohea Kai Maui, Ascend Hotel Collection
12. The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas North – a luxurious hotel nestled in the glimmering Pacific Ocean and West Maui mountains
Located between the Pacific Ocean and West Maui Mountains, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas North is a luxury resort boasting exquisite waterfalls, refreshing pools, and three distinctive on-site restaurants. Two on-site markets offering snacks, sundries, and supplies are also available.
Rooms at The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas North have all basic amenities including furnished balconies with ocean views. The contemporary hotel also features an outdoor pool, a fitness center, and barbecue facilities. Both a la carte and table d’hote breakfast options are available.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas North
13. Hotel Lahaina – a contemporary and unique boutique hotel offering incredible sea views located in the heart of historic Lahaina Town
The Hotel Lahaina is a quirky chic boutique hotel offering incredible sea views offering homey comfort located less than a mile from Puunoa Beach.
The cozy hotel features ten rooms and three suites, all of which are carefully equipped with foster mattresses, Casper pillows, fluffy duvets, minifridges, malin+goetz toiletries, JBL Bluetooth speakers, and a lanai with a table and two rocking chairs.
Major attractions near this trendy hotel are Front Street Lahaina, Lahaina Historic District, and Lahaina Boat Harbor.
- Address: 127 Lahainaluna Road, Lahaina, HI 96761, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Lahaina
14. Ho’oilo House – a private and peaceful B&B suitable for a romantic stay
Ho’oilo House is a Balinese-style bread and breakfast nestled amidst the West Maui Mountains. It provides easy access to shops, cafes, and restaurants in historic Lahaina.
The modern suites at Ho’oilo House feature traditional Balinese entry doors, private baths, outdoor showers, and a lanai with ocean or partial ocean views.
Basic amenities like flatscreen TVs, high-speed internet, iPod docks, and refrigerators are available in all rooms. All guests get a free complimentary breakfast which is served in the common area. The 4-star B&B also has an ocean-view swimming pool, medication gazebo, and several water features.
- Address: 138 Awaiku St, Lahaina, HI 96761, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Ho’oilo House Maui
15. The Plantation Inn – a stunning inn based in a beautiful location in a serene setting
Located on Lahainaluna Road in Lahaina, The Plantation Inn is an adults-only B&B with beautifully manicured gardens. The quaint hotel features individually-designed rooms with Hawaiian plantation decor.
Private balconies are available in most rooms, while all rooms offer mesmerizing views of the Pacific Ocean. Suites come with advanced amenities like sitting areas.
There’s a chic French eatery serving the best soupe à l’oignon in the neighborhood. The restaurant also organized a complimentary French poolside breakfast.
- Address: 174 Lahainaluna Rd, Lahaina, HI 96761, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Plantation Inn
16. The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono – one of the most Instagrammable B&Bs in Maui
The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono is a vintage-chic set in a reconditioned plantation home built in 1924. The B&B has seven rooms with en suite bathrooms, vibrant Hawaiian quilts, free Wi-Fi, and coffee makers among other amenities. Some rooms add private balconies and walled gardens.
There’s a separate modern cottage house with three additional rooms with a shared balcony and living room. Guests can enjoy a full breakfast in the common area every morning. Popular points of interest near the charming hotel are the Maui Arts & Cultural Center and Iao Valley State Park.
- Address: 2199 Kahookele St, Wailuku, HI 96793, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for The Old Wailuku Inn at Ulupono
17. Lahaina Oceanfront Estate – a wonderful fully equipped villa where guests can enjoy a heart-shaped pool
An oceanfront rental home boasting a heart-shaped pool, BBQ facilities, and a hot tub. Kelawea Mauka III Park is within walking distance of Lahaina Oceanfront Estate. The classic decor of the villa gives it a vintage look.
There are six well-appointed bedrooms with en suite bathrooms, a living area, and a dining area. The child-friendly property offers all basic amenities, including bathtubs in some rooms, air-conditioning, and free
- Address: 1423 Front St, Lahaina, HI 96761, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Lahaina Oceanfront Estate
18. Heavenly Hana Paradise – an isolated unique historically decorated hotel that provides tranquillity and travel sustainability
Heavenly Hana Paradise is a cozy, quirky-chic guesthouse surrounded by a copse of fruit trees. Some major attractions near the vacation rental include Red Sand Beach, Hana Coast Gallery, and Waianapanapa State Park.
The guesthouse has two rooms, both of which come with en suite bathrooms, flatscreen TVs, tea- and coffee-making equipment, fans, and Wi-Fi. Upgraded rooms add private patios, sitting areas, and/or refrigerators.
- Address: 4575 Hana Hwy, Hana, HI 96713, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Heavenly Hana Paradise
19. Old Lahaina House-Walk to town & beach – a tropical guest house perfect for a big group
An elegant property located less than a mile from the beach on Ilikahi Street in Lahaina Old Lahaina House-Walk to town & beach! has a beautiful, island-inspired interior with four bedrooms, a private bathroom, and a full kitchen and air conditioning.
An outdoor pool, a surrounding sun deck, and BBQ facilities are also available. The property provides easy access to dining, shopping, and art galleries in historic Lahaina Town.
- To book, check prices or availability for Old Lahaina House-Walk to town & beach!
20. The Kulani Maui – cozy bungalow accommodation surrounded by nature and great spots
Located in the heart of Lahaina, The Kulani Maui is a romantic hotel with a funky vintage vibe. It is a 2-minute walk from Kamehameha Iki Park Beach.
The beautiful hotel offers six types of luxurious accommodation, namely Jasmine Bungalow, Ginger Bungalow, Bamboo Bungalow, Hibiscus Bungalow, Mango Tree Bungalow, and Orchid Bungalow.
All bungalows feature en-suite bathrooms with soaking tubs, separate living rooms with sliding glass doors, well-equipped kitchens, and a private outdoor lanai with a dining table and day-bed lounge.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Kulani Maui
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unique hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool and Unique hotels in Santa Monica
- Cool and Unique hotels in Orlando
- Cool and Unique hotels in Tampa
- Cool and Unique hotels in Miami
- Best All Inclusive Resorts in The Bahamas
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.