Bringing together the indigenous glory of the Aztec empire with the thriving cosmopolitan vibe of the 21st century, Mexico City is a sprawling Capital home to wonderful museums, incredible architecture, and enticing gastronomic adventures.
The city is a bastion of history and art, and throughout the metropolis there are thousands of quirky corners and amazing gems waiting to be discovered.
Visitors from near and far head to Mexico City’s streets to listen to traditional Mariachi music whilst digging into delicious tacos, before exploring one of the world’s most booming nightlife scenes.
The accommodation options range from quaint townhouse boutiques to high-rise luxury chains. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Mexico City (in no particular order)...
1. CASA EMILIA B&B Boutique – an exclusive adult’s only boutique B&B that features a gorgeous and Instagrammable rustic chic setting
This graceful boutique hotel contains only 7 guestrooms, and all are appointed with a unique, cosy style designed to captivate your senses through elegant textures, fluffy cushions, and a moody lighting system.
The surrounding Cuauhtémoc neighbourhood is renowned as being safe and peaceful, yet abundant with activity. Guests at Casa Emilia are invited to savour exquisite gastronomical offerings, including an indulgent breakfast which combines the very best of Mexican delights with international dishes.
The hotel is dotted with quirky hangout spaces which incorporate beautiful plants to add a touch of nature to a lavish, character-filled setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for CASA EMILIA B&B Boutique
2. W Mexico City – a colorful, kitsch, and fun party hotel to stay in Mexico City perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs wanting to be seen
The W Hotel is Located in Polanco, a quirky neighbourhood where trend-seekers meet to explore fast-paced cultural landscapes, chic shops, and an alluring nightlife.
In the 237 guestrooms, the W brand is embodied effortlessly through custom details and sleek furnishings designed to promote a unique hotel experience. The Living Room Bar showcases signature touches and quenches your thirst with the city’s most innovative collection of cocktails.
At W Hotel Mexico City, A swirl of high-energy, vivid design, and cutting-edge technology allows you to wrap yourself in sensory delights, with everything you need for a spectacular city break at your fingertips.
- To book, check prices or availability for W Mexico City
3. La Valise Mexico City – a chic, artistic and Insta-worthy hotel that blends a vibrant lifestyle, art and culture
Situated in the heart of Roma Norte, one of Mexico City’s coolest neighbourhoods, La Valise puts you a few steps from many independent boutiques, bars, and restaurants.
Housed in a discreet 1920’s townhouse, La Valise is embellished with one-of-a-kind art and cultured charm, as well as beautiful Mexican antiques.
This beautiful, three-room mansion boasts a 20th -century French-style terrace which is one of the neighbourhood’s smartest hangout spots.
The hotel is decorated with gorgeous Mexican furniture and art, exuding elegance, intimacy, and serenity. Polished wood floors, bold hues, and vintage panelling create an atelier atmosphere in the three individually themed guestrooms, which all offer bathtubs, and a complimentary mini-bar with fruits, snacks, water, and beers.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Valise Mexico City
4. Brick Hotel Mexico City – an elegant and upscale boutique hotel surrounded by greenery, ideal for nature lovers
Step back in time at this eloquent Mexico City escape, where the original ceramic tiles and brickwork used to build it were brought from England in the early 20th century.
Nowadays, this magnificent boutique hotel fuses its Belle Époque architecture with contemporary luxury to offer a new age elegance to its visitors.
The guestrooms boast parquet floors and soothing tones to enhance the sense of relaxation, while the suites offer an opulent balcony where you can recline on your private sun lounger. In the Rooftop Suite, you can sit in your own outdoor tub as you gaze over the streets of colonial town Roma.
- To book, check prices or availability for Brick Hotel Mexico City
5. Círculo Mexicano – a trendy zen-like contemporary hotel to stay in Mexico City perfect for design-loving Millennials and Gen Zs
Having reimagined a 19th-century residential building, the ground floor of Círculo Mexicano is conceived as a modern marketplace, which enhances the splendour of the original building with meticulously manicured accents.
The second and third floors are where this sophisticated boutique hotel operates. Situated in downtown Mexico City in a neighbourhood which houses pre-Hispanic ruins, Círculo Mexicano combines the design and hospitality of Grupo Habita with some of the most recognized voices in fashion and gastronomy.
The result is an authentic experience of contemporary Mexican culture! The 25 guestrooms inspire a sense of intimacy through cosy fixtures, shaker-style woodwork, and artisanal Mexican textiles.
- To book, check prices or availability for Círculo Mexicano
6. Hotel Black – a hip, trendy and funky downtown hotel where pets are welcome too
Centred around a profound vision to offer a great atmosphere to guests, Hotel Black blends the essences of industrial, hipster, Avant-garde and modern to create a truly unique hospitality experience.
The hotel is a collection of antiques, sculptures, and bespoke furniture, the vast majority of which is obtained at auctions. It seeks to reflect a faith in the quality of hand-crafted work, and balances an original character with contemporary freshness, adorned with more than 2200 illustrations, posters, and photographs.
The two types of suite are both orientally furnished and contain iconic items adding to a sense of exclusivity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Black
7. Camino Real Polanco Mexico – a cool, unique and contemporary hotel that features a great design and a zen vibe
This much-celebrated 5-star inner city hotel is a unique hospitality concept created by famed architect Ricardo Legoretta. Considered a ‘Hotel-Museum’ for its exquisite art collection, Camino Real reminisces over Pre-Hispanic pyramids with a creative modern touch, forming a wonderful plethora of architectural work.
Originally built for the 1968 Olympics, the hotel features extensive multi-functional spaces, and is a popular venue for social and corporate events.
Camino Real is situated in the refined, laid-back residential district of Anzures on the outskirts of the upscale Polanco neighbourhood, an area considered an oasis within the hustle and bustle of the city.
- To book, check prices or availability for Camino Real Polanco Mexico
8. Pug Seal Allan Poe – an ultra-chic upscale boutique hotel with quirk design details that offers a majestic setting
Inspired by Quetzalcoatl, a Mesoamerican deity, this 20-room Polanco hotel offers a unique experience courtesy of fascinating architecture, graceful common areas, lush gardens and terraces, and a boutique design.
An abundance of Mexican warmth emerges in the 21 curated guestrooms, which were designed by the most virtuous artists in the country and feature tranquil courtyard views.
Located just off the opulent Avenida Presidente Masaryk, this hotel’s main building is a stunning 1930’s era triple-story mansion that’s brimming with bohemian curiosities and pristine Mid-Century furniture.
A touch of wellness is added to the artful experience at Pug Seal Allan Poe, through a massage area and a garden with a ceremonial temazcal.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pug Seal Allan Poe
9. Downtown – a cool and unusual design hotel with neo-industrial style housed in a restored 17th-century palace
Combining exquisite guestrooms with cool communal spaces, topped by a very central location, this neo-industrial hotel is a step into the renascent historic heart of Mexico City.
Its 17th -century façade is beautifully contrasted by a contemporary industrial feel inside, evoked through ornate detailing around windows, and grey volcanic rock walls combined with cement tiling.
The 17 high-ceilinged, spacious guestrooms peer out over the patio, and make use of useful accessories including reading lights, a desk station, a fully stocked minibar, and plush linens.
On the top floor, a rooftop terrace featuring a bar, pool and bright sun loungers offers stunning views over the city’s domes, steeples, and skyscrapers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Downtown
10. Casa Polanco Hotel Boutique – a chic restored modern city boutique villa perfect for a romantic stay
Offering guests a chance to feel like they’re at a friend’s home, the urban bustle dissolves into a timeless, classic space as soon as you cross the gate to this unique hotel.
Aesthetically, the interior appears as if it is a curated collection of exquisite artbooks and sculptures, with many original accessories and items from the 20th century dotted around the hotel.
Furniture by award-winning designer Hector Esrawe appears in the library, spa, and the gym, while the guestrooms are furnished with fine walnut wood floors and decorated with custom-designed textiles and objets d’art.
Swiss-woven Egyptian cotton bedding and carefully chosen amenities maximize comfort in the rooms, which boast high ceilings and are flooded with natural light.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Polanco Hotel Boutique
11. Orchid House Polanco – a charming and cozy hidden gem boutique hotel set in a stunning historic 100-year-old mansion
A hotel where the lavish indulgence of a high-end brand meets graceful home comforts, Orchid House is the brainchild of a lineage of urban explorers who have discovered the perfect balance between home and travel.
The hotel seeks to make each guest feel connected in a new, mysterious land, while opening doors to new paradigms. It is a secret gem peacefully nestled in a stunning 100-year-old mansion in the heart of Polanco.
The iridescently coloured stained glass, the neoclassical mouldings on the ceilings, and the antique barro floors with hand-painted heroes reflect the heart and soul of this restored building. A stay at Orchid House is your chance to revel in the tranquil glory of one of Mexico City’s most beautiful streets.
- To book, check prices or availability for Orchid House Polanco
12. The Alest Hotel – a refined and stylish place to stay in Mexico City
Opening its doors to an unparalleled world of dreams and hedonism, The Alest offers an intimate and cosy space in the privileged heart of Polanco.
Inviting guests to enjoy local experiences with a sophisticated flair, the city’s famous landmarks are no more than a stone’s throw away.
The eclectic style of the hotel surprises and delights its visitors, who can indulge in a graceful fusion of carefully curated interior design trends. Residential comfort and timeless elegance are exuded seamlessly through locally made objets d’art in the guestrooms, which complement the Carrara marble bathrooms, Italian-style hardwood floors, and luxury LeLabo amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Alest Hotel
13. FlowSuites Condesa – Adults Only – a trendy and creative hotel located in a popular area near major restaurants and shops
FlowSuites welcomes guests to a stylish and luxurious retreat, equipped with everything you need for a relaxing and rewarding city break.
Every detail in the guestrooms is designed to enhance comfort, catering to the business and leisure traveller seeking privacy and tranquillity.
A chic, contemporary décor puts this hotel amongst Mexico’s very best, and the location on one of Condesa’s most famous streets makes it the ideal hub for exploration.
The expansive, apartment-style suites are designed to make you feel completely at home, while the rooftop bar and terrace is the perfect spot to sip crafted cocktails and socialize amid panoramic city views.
- To book, check prices or availability for FlowSuites Condesa – Adults Only
14. Hotel Parque España – a funky and creative rustic-chic boutique hotel close to major attractions
Here we have an eccentric twist on your typical Mexico City Hotel, teeming with vivid colours and a charming character.
Inside the property, every visual frame reflects a beautiful renovation of traditions, through quirky furniture and artwork stamped with the artisanal flair that defines Hotel Parque España.
The hotel’s outdoor hangout spots are embellished with funky patterns and are backdropped by the tree-lined surrounds, offering a blissful blend of nature and cultural elegance.
The guestrooms are furnished with polished woods and comfy seating areas, and boast floor-to-ceiling windows allowing the majesty of the encompassing greenery to beam right through.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Parque España
15. Casa Hedera – an intimate and high-end boutique hotel ideal for the ultimate relaxation
This eclectic oasis is brimming with life from the minute you walk in, and its corridors are suffused with a cosmopolitan flair.
Preserving the elegance and distinction of the property’s Mediterranean design roots, the interiors are ornate with vivid accents of colour and textures, topped with elements that share a nod to Mexico’s cultural legacy.
This intimate boutique is situated on a peaceful street in Mexico City’s most exclusive district, Lomas de Chapultepec. The guestrooms offer a blissful sanctuary to recharge and disconnect from normal life, and boast ample natural lighting to enhance a cosy stay.
The hotel’s gastronomic club unfolds along the terrace and corridors, inviting you to savour a high-end culinary experience with all the flavours and emotions of homemade delicacies.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Hedera
16. Casa Decu – a cute, chic and peaceful hotel that provides great facilities for all
Born in 2001 to add a unique twist to the hospitality scene in Mexico City, Casa Decu transforms the traditional concept of lodging by offering innovative spaces teeming with cultural flair.
Located in the epicentre of Colonia Condesa, one of the most hip-trendy areas of the city, this boutique hotel provides you with the liberty of exploring the metropolis on foot, as well as indulging in state-of-the-art facilities on-site.
Blending comfort, luxury, and chic design, the 27 guestrooms pay reverence to the Art Deco era through eloquent furnishings, and are topped with a kitchenette, a cable TV room, and high-velocity internet.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Decu
17. Galeria Plaza San Jeronimo – a modern and trendy large hotel that offers a distinctive experience
Surrounded by green vegetation in a tree-lined expanse, this vibrant haven is the hallmark of Galería Plaza hotels and combines techy-savvy elegance with minimalist charm to establish a premium hospitality experience.
In the guestrooms, functionality and opulence coexist in perfect harmony, and a peaceful reprieve is promoted through plush linens and cosy décor.
The exclusive Roof Garden boasts unparalleled views of the south of the city, and features a scintillating gastronomic proposal and a classic cocktail menu. The Plaza Restaurant serves a varied mix of Mexican and international dishes, and awaits guests with commonly updated menus for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- To book, check prices or availability for Galeria Plaza San Jeronimo
18. Casa Tuna – a laid-back B&B that provides a peaceful setting where you can unplug and unwind
Beautifully nestled in the heart of the historic centre of Coyoacán, mere steps from the Centennial Garden and the San Juan Bautista Church, Casa Tuna is housed in a gorgeous 20th-century mansion.
Mexican folk art and the wonderful traditions of Latin America are embodied beautifully in the 12 commodious guestrooms, which evoke an air of functionality to optimize rest. An impressive, open-style communal area is furnished with plush seating areas and a swinging hammock, and girdled by potted plants to offer a space for deep relaxation.
With the comfort and tranquillity of guests in mind, Casa Tuna also offers a handful of pleasant green spaces, where you can sit and revel in the charm of one of Mexico City’s coolest neighbourhoods.
- To book, check prices or availability for Casa Tuna
19. The Red Tree House – a traditional but artistic 1930s-themed B&B that will make guests feel at home
The Red Tree House is Mexico City’s number one B&B, offering a smooth combination of tasteful rooms, lush backdrops, and congenial hosts.
Inspired by the history and diversity of the city’s art and culture, the guestrooms are draped in unique touches and ambient lighting systems.
You are invited to begin each morning with a warm regional breakfast from an open kitchen, which you can savour on one of the delightful garden patios.
For a quick break from exploring the charming surrounds, you can take a pit stop in one of the hotel’s common areas, and reflect with a glass of fine wine by a gorgeous fireplace.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Red Tree House
20. Sofitel Mexico City Reforma – a contemporary and sleek upscale hotel that boasts 5 bars and restaurants
Ready to submerge yourself in the vibrant Mexican culture? Sofitel Reforma is the perfect base camp to dive into one of the city’s most historic districts and adds an air of chic elegance to its glamorous interior design.
In the 275 rooms and suites across 40 floors, the sophistication of the Sofitel brand is exuded through thoughtful touches such as L’Occitane amenities and self-serve Nespresso machines.
Floor-to-ceiling windows showcase the effervescent cityscape, while technologically intuitive features such as Bluetooth connectivity make this a true home away from home.
Multiple gastronomic experiences are also offered, from the 38th floor Rooftop bar ‘Cityzen’ to the contemporary restaurant ‘Balta’. Both feature unique flavours and creative culinary expressions.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sofitel Mexico City Reforma
We also have posts on…
- Cool and unique hotels in Cancun
- Cool and unique hotels in Playa Del Carmen
- Cool and unique hotels in Tulum
- Cool and unique hotels in Isla Holbox
- Cool and unique hotels in Isla Mujeres
- Cool and unique hotels in Phuket
- Cool and unique hotels in Maui
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Costa Rica
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Belize
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Panama City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Buenos Aires
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cartagena
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tijuana
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bogota
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.