Lying at the easternmost tip of Long Island’s South Fork, the charming historic hamlet of Montauk is a beautiful and much-loved getaway from New York City.
Known for its magnificent centuries-old landmarks, its beautiful stretches of beach and nature trails, its eclectic array of quirky hang-out spots and its striking Point Lighthouse, visitors to Montauk can benefit from a quiet escape, full of outdoor recreation.
Boasting picturesque scenery and being the setting for the award-winning drama The Affair, Montauk’s peaceful nature and isolated setting attract tourists to its gorgeous hotels throughout the year. From charming little boutique inns to exclusive upscale resorts steeped in heritage, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Montauk, New York (in no particular order)…
1. The Montauk Beach House – a trendy, unique and Instragrammable boutique accommodation located in the heart of Downtown Montauk, perfect for fun-loving Millennials and Gen Zs
Sporting a very unique brand identity, The Montauk Beach House is situated in the heart of downtown Montauk, just a short stroll to a whole host of quirky shops, restaurants, bars, and cafés.
Offering a boutique experience with an active social environment, at this stunning beach house you can chill out with friends by the fire, and make memories in the charming gathering space by night.
The laid-back east coast vibe is ever present in the summer, with great entertainment, special events, and unique offerings filling the calendar with an alternative theme. The lobby boasts a bustling atmosphere with an open-air feel, embraced by a giant wall of glass doors that open to the street, soaring ceilings, and bespoke décor.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Montauk Beach House
2. Hero Beach Club – a modern, Instagrammable and cool accommodation ideal for those who enjoy sports and activities
Across from a pristine moon-shaped beach on New York’s most calming shoreline, this saltwater haven is girdled by nature on all sides.
Over the last 100 years, the surrounding neighbourhood has become a beachside destination for artists, musicians, surfers, and sunseekers from all over the world.
The hotel features original 1950’s architecture, elevated with a modern design which radiates into its 30 rooms. An unparalleled oasis is provided in this boutique resort, and whether you choose to lounge in the garden or hike through the nearby pathways, Hero Beach Club is perfect for those eager to explore the blissful activities that Montauk has to offer.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hero Beach Club
3. Gurney’s Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa – the only accommodation located on a private beach overlooking the Atlantic Ocean providing an upscale, stylish and chic stay
The only four-season resort in Montauk, Gurney’s is situated on a pristine stretch of oceanfront beauty, and provides guests with direct access to a 2000 ft private sand beach.
Its 158 guestrooms, suites, and beachfront cottages all boast dramatic ocean views, and are decked out with bespoke, modern furnishings.
The resort features five unique dining and cocktail venues, with options ranging from elegant seasonal cuisine to casual grab-and-go café favourites. The on-site Beach Club provides the only on-beach dining experience in the Hamptons, and the Seawater Spa offers an extensive collection of Roman baths, Finnish rock saunas, and trendsetting fitness centres.
- To book, check prices or availability for Gurney’s Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa
4. Gurney’s Star Island Resort & Marina – one of the best hotels in Montauk offering guests a stylish, trendy and modern stay
This nearly century-old yacht club has been updated into a luxury boutique hotel. Situated on the scenic Lake Montauk, Guerney’s Star Island Resort & Marina is Hampton’s premier destination for seasonal boaters, as well as summer holidaymakers.
The 107 waterfront guestrooms are clad in whitewashed timber, and are spread around 15 acres of grounds which boast tremendous outdoor amenities, and an array of restaurants dotted around the water.
Here, guests can enjoy a complimentary shuttle to Gurney’s Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa to take advantage of a private sand beach, or enjoy a comprehensive selection of amenities on site which include two pools, a beach club, and a marina.
- To book, check prices or availability for Guerney’s Star Island Resort & Marina
5. Breakers Montauk – a newly renovated, cool and iconic accommodation where guests can enjoy breath taking views of the ocean
Set on sprawling grounds with some of the Hamptons most striking ocean views, this iconic seaside property has seen a recent upgrade to its 25 guestrooms.
The improvements include keyless entry, Leesa mattresses and pillows, European linens and bath towels, and boutique bath amenities. An ocean view pool, a restaurant and bar, and direct access to a beach are some of the other conveniences on offer at this charming property.
Whether you choose to stay in the presidential studio suite, the premium cottage, or in one of the many apartment options, your stay will be steeped in opulent comfort, and your private patio amid a stunning garden will bring an air of tranquillity to your vacation.
- To book, check prices or availability for Breakers Mountauk
6. Marram – a unique, upscale boutique resort perfect for a relaxing and rejuvenating stay, steps away from the ocean
Nestled within rolling sand dunes, luxuriant forests, and the wild Atlantic, this authentic oceanfront boutique is the perfect place to kick back and relax.
The hotel organizes daily programmes of sunrise meditation, hikes in local parklands, and coastal cycles, providing guests with energy-filled days before snuggling down by the fire pit and eating s’mores by sundown. All rooms are dressed in soothing hues of cream and white with the odd flash of terracotta, and a pared-down palette dreamt up to let you focus on life’s simple pleasures.
One of Uruguay’s top chefs conceived the market-style dining concept, where a healthy respect for Mother Nature is present. The food is foraged, sought at local farms, and wild fished.
- To book, check prices or availability for Marran
7. Montauk Manor – a historic, quirky-chic and beautiful accommodation featuring an on-site spa and wellness center
Towering over 12 fabulous acres of gorgeous landscape from a hilltop with sweeping ocean vistas, Montauk Manor is a place where antiquity is preserved, and memories are cherished.
Within its lush grounds, 140 tastefully decorated accommodations from studios to three-bedroom condominiums come in a variety of exclusive layouts, some of which boast a private terrace or balcony. Steeped in historical splendour, this magnificent property features indoor and outdoor pools, a spa, a tennis court, and a putting green.
The unparalleled setting offers a majestic backdrop to your Montauk escape, and the recently opened restaurant ‘Hilltop at the Manor’ offers an intimate, outdoor garden setting where you can let your tastebuds run wild.
- To book, check prices or availability for Montauk Manor
8. Haven Montauk – a contemporary, chic and dog-friendly accommodation featuring an outdoor pool, fire pit and BBQ area
For the perfect low-key and friendly boutique experience, at Haven Montauk you will indulge in the perfect blend of crisp, clean, and contemporary.
Residing directly on the harbour and a stone’s throw away from a private stretch of shoreline, a stay here will be backdropped by a breathtaking sunset, whilst you revel at the sight of local fishermen hauling up their catch.
The 27 thoughtfully designed guestrooms boast all the essentials you need for a lavish vacation, and the complimentary bicycles provide the perfect transportation along the beach to Gossman’s Dock. As the air begins to cool in the evening, you can lounge around the fire pit with friends or family to keep warm as you soak up the atmospheric vigour of this charming coastal village.
- To book, check prices or availability for Haven Montauk
9. Driftwood Resort on the Ocean – a charming, vibrant and quiet accommodation neighbouring both the famous Montauk Point Lighthouse and Atlantic Ocean
This large condo property lies on the dunes of a quiet Montauk beach, and boasts 52 privately owned units ranging from one- and two-bedrooms suites to elegant studio rooms.
The exclusive beach-cottage décor and vibrant patio decks overlooking the ocean attract returning visitors year after year. The hotel has well-maintained grassy lawns and a long pathway leading to the sandy shores, where you will find comfy lounge chairs allowing you to sit back and watch the waves crash into shore.
At the driftwood, guests are invited to embrace some down-time with loved ones, gathering around bonfires to roast s’mores, or cooking up delicious meals on barbeque grills.
- To book, check prices or availability for Driftwood Resort on the Ocean
10. The Ocean Resort Inn – a vibrant, contemporary and quiet accommodation in close proximity of popular landmarks
Located mere steps from the captivating coastlines of the Atlantic Ocean, this maritime-inspired inn reflects the soothing mantra of its surroundings.
Its 26 guestrooms are comfortably furnished, and adorned with ocean-themed décor, while the lavish suites feature private hot tubs. All accommodations boast a flat-screen TV, a mini-fridge, a microwave, and coffee-making amenities.
A great hub for socializing, the onside facilities include a cheerful courtyard with pastel umbrellas, redwood picnic tables, and a Weber barbeque grill. Upon arrival, you can simply throw on your bathing suit and head straight to the beach to kick start your Long Island vacation.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Ocean Resort Inn
11. Beachcomber Resort at Montauk – a family-friendly, quirky and spacious accommodation within walking distance of the center of Montauk
Marvel at scintillating sunsets from a private terrace, or mellow out on a magnificent beach. The simplistic yet quirky design which emanates throughout the Beachcomber Resort sets a laid-back tone to your Montauk vacation.
For the discerning traveller looking to blend a sense of off-the-beaten-path serenity with opportunities to remain active, the beautiful pool area, workout room, and tennis court provide just that.
An interesting fusion of modern furniture and old-fashioned comfort sets The Beachcomber apart from the rest, and the commodious guestrooms are decorated in light colours and boast a sofa bed and cable TV. Idyllically situated in the lush environs of Montauk yet a short bike ride from downtown and its fine dining spots, a stay here offers the best of both worlds.
- To book, check prices or availability for Beachcomber Resort at Montauk
12. Ocean Surf Resort – a tranquil and elegant accommodation ideal for those in search of a peaceful beach getaway
Extraordinary scenery, peaceful surroundings, and state-of-the-art facilities combine to form the ultimate relaxation destination for family and beachgoers.
Cradled on a stretch of sun-swept sand, Ocean Surf Resort offers an outdoor heated pool, barbeque grills, and a whole host of fun activities for the modern jetsetter.
You can rest your head in a variety of room options, which include the budget-friendly silver studio, or the oceanfront gold and beachfront platinum suites which boast direct ocean views and private sundecks. Conveniently situated near all of Montauk’s premier restaurants and quaint boutiques, this elegant resort ticks all the boxes for a memorable Long Island getaway.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ocean Surf Resort
13. Montauk Blue Hotel – a modern and stylish accommodation located near popular attractions
Upon entry to the Montauk Blue Hotel, the bold shades of blue and bright white with dark accents that embellish the lobby ooze an inviting atmosphere.
The perfect place to let your stresses melt away, the friendly service, the panoramic views from your oceanfront room and beach sundeck, and the lavish hot tub & indoor pool area offer a dash of elegance to the budget-conscious traveller. Plush bedding and modern bathrooms add an opulent touch to the 83 accommodations, which are spacious and stylish, and come equipped with up-to-date amenities.
There are plenty of ways to fill your time in the vicinity of this hotel, whether that means lounging on the sand, or sipping wine from your personal terrace whilst watching the sunset over the ocean.
- To book, check prices or availability for Montauk Blue Hotel
14. Sunset Beach Montauk – a fun, bright and unique accommodation located in the entertainment district
Sunset Beach was born out of the blending together of two stunning hotels and a private beach, and the subsequent vibe has gained a rave recognition throughout Montauk’s illustrious hospitality industry.
Located near to the beach in the entertainment district, fun-filled days are never far away. The hotel is also conveniently positioned with opportunities for great adventures in the form of ecotours, biking, and hiking.
The interior is clad in bright white, evoking a spacious feel to compliment the soft tones and nautically inspired artwork, while the property’s expansive gardens offer optimum space to kick back, relax, and relish Montauk’s fine weather.
- To book, check prices or availability for Sunset Beach Montauk
15. Kenny’s Tipperary Inn – an elegant, classic and charming accommodation located in the heart of Montauk Harbor
The delightfully landscaped ground which houses Kenny’s Tipperary Inn boasts its very own zen garden filled with resplendent flowers, soaring palms, a cascading waterfall, and gentle melodic music for aerobics and meditation sessions.
Private balconies, poolside barbeques, and character-filled picnic areas add to the inn’s unique charm. The 33 renovated accommodations range in size from bedrooms to upscale apartments, and all boast cable TV. Fishing, hiking and golfing can be arranged by the attentive staff presence, meaning guests can delight in fun-filled days out before winding down in the ambient splendour of a boutique inn.
Ideal for a well-needed getaway, Kenny’s Tipperary Inn is located close to downtown Montauk, yet far enough from the hustle and bustle so you relax in total tranquillity.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kenny’s Tipperary Inn
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in The Hamptons
- Cool boutique hotels in New York
- Cool boutique hotels in Newport NI
- Cool boutique hotels in Nantucket
- Cool boutique hotels in Cape Cod
- Cool boutique hotels in Martha’s Vineyard
- Cool boutique hotels in Boston
- Cool boutique hotels in Albany
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Provincetown
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Providence
Gary is an award winning full time professional photographer and videographer with too much wanderlust for his own good. Fuelled by strong coffee, you’ll often find him wandering well off hiking trails in search of interesting photographic subjects or scenery to video. Self taught and with the use of pioneering digital techniques, he quickly built up a strong client base and has worked with many prestigious organisations, including GQ, BBC, London Fashion Week, Grazia, Sky, Metro, Vogue Italia. He specialising in evocative images of people, places and cinematic videography and his goal is to make the viewer look twice and engage. As well as a penchant for good design, the ketogenic diet and Hungarian Vizslas, he also has a huge affection for Chicago, Bucharest, Scandinavia, Croatia and absolutely everywhere in Italy. Find him on Instagram @garynansome, Twitter @garynansome and his website https://garynunn.co.uk/