Napa Valley, California is famous for leafy green hills where warm sunlight ripens juicy grapes until they’re ready to become internationally celebrated wines. The city of Napa and the other smaller towns dotted all over the region are also worth a visit, with their quirky shopping markets, boutique stores, world-renowned restaurants and some of the finest craft breweries around.
With so much choice it makes it hard to decide where to stay so from uber-glamourous resorts to the charmingly rustic intimate boutiques, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in the Napa Valley region, California (in no particular order)…
1. Andaz Napa – a concept by Hyatt – a stunning modern design hotel that offers live music on the outdoor terrace
Views of downtown Napa can be enjoyed from the rustic-chic rooms of this luxury, boutique hotel.
Loft-like spaces or suites with furnished terraces are designed for comfort with a trendy décor of earthy tones and occasional soft pastel accents. The retractable glass-wall opening onto a balcony is particularly impressive. In-room spa treatments and massages help guests wind down to the max.
Healthy plates of locally-sourced Napa Valley flavors are served indoors at communal tables in a country-style setting or outdoors around cozy firepits, where guests can also enjoy a weekly billing of local musicians.
- Address: 1450 1st St, Napa, CA 94559
- To book, check prices or availability for Andaz Napa – a concept by Hyatt
2. Vintage House at The Estate Yountville – a French country-style hotel that offers a rustic farm-to-table cuisine and the wow factor!
Located on The Estate Yountville, Vintage House is a French country-style hotel blending rustic charm and luxurious modern comforts.
Stylish guestrooms deliver crips linen, whitewashed beams, high ceilings and contemporary furnishings. Bungalows offer separate lounges, king-sized beds and private patios.
Fusions of Italian, Spanish and Californian dishes are overseen by top chefs and enjoyed alongside Northern California wine and crafted cocktails.
Catered events are hosted in a large range of popular indoor and outdoor event and meeting spaces. Other amenities include an on-site fitness center, tennis court and swimming pools.
- Address: 6541 Washington St, Yountville, CA 94599
- To book, check prices or availability for Vintage House at The Estate Yountville
3. Alila Napa Valley – one of the most Instagrammable hotels in Napa Valley
Next to the famous Beringer Estate Winery, this exceptionally recommended boutique hotel began life as a stately Georgian-style guesthouse.
These days, sunlight filters from the lush Napa Valley into elegant guestrooms in natural tones; balconies or terraces are attached to most rooms, with some boasting an outdoor hot tub. Further relaxation and rejuvenation is on-hand at the spa with its signature massage treatments and steam rooms.
European-inspired, farm-to-table dishes are served in the hotel restaurant – flavored with herbs freshly picked from the gardens. A selection of indoor and outdoor spaces are popular for weddings and meetings, including the rustic-chic Acacia Barn and adjacent lawn against a majestic backdrop.
- Address: 1915 Main St, St Helena, CA 94574
- To book, check prices or availability for Alila Napa Valley
4. Auberge du Soleil, An Auberge Resort – an upscale chic and unique adult-only property that features an acclaimed restaurant
Over thirty acres of sunlit greenery surround this stately building with an extensive terrace from which to enjoy the breathtaking Napa Valley view.
Slatted French doors open onto balconies from luxurious rooms decorated in classic oatmeal and magnolia. Suites offer a separate living room, and the standalone maisons also feature an outdoor sculptural tub. Customized treatments, soaking pools and hammam steam rooms are – understandably – top favorites at the spa.
Inspired by the resort’s founder’s French roots, fine dining is served from fresh, local ingredients and paired with regional and international wines, or lighter bites are available at the informal Bistro and Bar. Events and weddings are held outdoors on the private terraces or within stylish indoor spaces.
- Address: 180 Rutherford Hill Rd, Rutherford, CA 94573
- To book, check prices or availability for Auberge du Soleil, An Auberge Resort
5. Dr Wilkinsons Backyard Resort and Mineral Springs a Member of Design Hotels – a colorful, hip, kitsch, and fun hotel perfect for Millenials and Gen Zs
Inside its own happiness bubble, Dr Wilkinson’s Backyard Resort offers a haven of relaxation in Calistoga where guests can indulge in geothermal mineral pools, therapeutic Calistoga mud baths and outdoor massages – then finish with some shut-eye in a hammock or a sway on a tree swing.
The renovated Victorian guest rooms are furnished with natural wood against uncluttered walls – with some featuring a fully stocked apothecary medicine cabinet.
The on-site eatery, House of Better, serves spicy small bites, mains and pies from a wood-fired oven and chilli roaster. Wine-based cocktails, local beer and Napa’s famous wines are enjoyed alongside healthy comfort food.
For those opting for detox, there’s homemade aqua frescas, kombucha, wellness tonics and adaptogen teas.
- Address: 1507 Lincoln Ave, Calistoga, CA 94515
- To book, check prices or availability for Dr Wilkinsons Backyard Resort and Mineral Springs a Member of Design Hotels
6. Hotel Yountville – an elegant European boutique-style hotel that is the perfect place for the ultimate relaxation
A peaceful vibe descends as you enter the contemporary, pale-paneled lobby of this exceptionally recommended hotel in the town of Yountville.
Elegant bedrooms complete with four poster beds and stone fireplaces are standard, with some suites featuring spa tubs, patios, balconies and private gardens.
The poolside day beds are perfect for enjoying Californian sunshine, and in the evening, soft lighting and entertainment creates a romantic setting. Further rest and rejuvenation is available at the six spa treatment rooms offering massages and organic treatments.
Unique farm-to-table fine dining dishes are served up using seasonal Napa Valley ingredients, while ‘The Bar’ serves daily light bites and specialty cocktails. Indoor and outdoor spaces can accommodate up to 80 guests for occasions and meetings.
- Address: 6462 Washington St, Yountville, CA 94599
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Yountville
7. Archer Hotel Napa – an award-winning beautiful wine country retreat with a trendy urban vibe
The Archer Hotel’s private balconies, sky bar and rooftop spa all overlook lively downtown Napa. Natural materials fused with modern design create an environment bridging nature and urban chic.
Soft lighting enhances the sandstone and warm woods in the spacious lobby, and the naturally lit rooms are gracefully designed in wood grain and earthy tones, boasting four-poster beds and landscape artwork.
The rooftop spa offers rejuvenating treats of facials and massage treatments. Also in the clouds is the Sky Bar, serving haute cuisine by open fires and under cute festoon lights. Chic indoor spaces and sunny outdoor areas host weddings, meetings and events.
- Address: 1230 1st St, Napa, CA 94559
- To book, check prices or availability for Archer Hotel Napa
8. Carneros Resort and Spa – the best deluxe resort in Napa Valley, ideal for a glamorous and romantic break
Surrounded by stunning Napa Valley Vistas, a range of private cottages and gated homes offer a fusion of outdoor and indoor living.
Wide French doors flood natural light into elegant cottage-style rooms, past landscaped backyards. Effortlessly Instagrammable views framed by positioned palm trees offer a one-of-a-kind backdrop for outdoor events, while indoor occasions are held in grand rooms with 360 views.
The private spa offers relaxation and restoration with its massages, organic treatments and self-care packages. Classes such as Yoga, Boot Camp at the fitness center alongside the heated outdoor swimming pool.
- Address: 4048 Sonoma Hwy, Napa, CA 94559
- To book, check prices or availability for Carneros Resort and Spa
9. Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa games and activities – a cool, modern and creative hotel with gorgeous decor and an outdoor pool
This exceptionally recommended boutique hotel is nestled at the end of Napa Valley’s Silverado Trail. A relaxed, retro vibe filters through the entire resort.
Camper guest rooms are inspired by the inside of a camper van including vintage style fabrics and funky artwork, while the Vista rooms are more spacious, with balconies overlooking the majestic Vaca mountains. The geothermal mineral pools and relaxing treatments at MoonAcre Spa are there to help your worries float away.
A selection of outdoor and indoor spaces host events, big and small. Italian and Mediterranean wood-fired cuisine is served from regional produce, alongside local craft beer, Napa Valley wines and artisan cocktails.
- Address: 1880 Lincoln Ave, Calistoga, CA 94515
- To book, check prices or availability for Calistoga Motor Lodge and Spa
10. R Inn Napa – a contemporary downtown Napa Valley inn that is a converted historic building
Located in downtown Napa, this urban boutique hotel welcomes guests into its historic building with a touch of European flair.
Chic, simply-styled rooms sit off an open-air courtyard – boasting fashionable white walls, dark wood floors and unique artwork. The stunning loft suites are decorated in golden, sunny tones. A spacious bungalow is also decked out in soothing neutrals and minimalist décor, with a barn-style outdoor dining room.
Designed with independent travelers in mind, the 24-hour kitchen is furnished with snacks and appliances – and serves weekend continental breakfasts. Events can be held in a range of indoor spaces and also in the open-air living room.
- Address: 623 Coombs St, Napa, CA 94559
- To book, check prices or availability for R Inn Napa
11. Villagio at The Estate Yountville – a prime residence based in the center of Napa Valley Wine Country
The sophisticated Hotel Villagio on The Estate Yountville hosts its guests in a luxurious setting.
Contemporary architecture houses guestrooms full of natural light in pristine whites against walnut panelling and sumptuous fabrics, just steps away from sun-kissed terraces looking across the living art that is the Napa Valley. Suites are also available with spacious lounge areas.
A passion for produce and cuisine is evident in the tasty Italian and Spanish dishes recreated with skilful modern twists at The Estate eateries. From outdoor pavilions to indoor ballrooms, The Estate offers a range of options for weddings, meetings and events.
- Address: 6481 Washington St, Yountville, CA 94599
- To book, check prices or availability for Villagio at The Estate Yountville
12. Bardessono Hotel and Spa – a unique modern resort that features a rooftop pool and eclectic gardens
Serene vibes and the height of eco-friendly luxury make this resort in the heart of Yountville a special stay.
The three standalone Villas or (one, three bedroom accommodation) have a contemporary aesthetic that splices slate greys, wood block and clean lines in a way that compliments the surrounding natural beauty. Floor-to-ceiling windows, fireplaces, balconies, patios and spa bathrooms as well as a private cocktail pool provide all the creature comforts you could wish for.
Sustainable, organic ingredients from the local area and on-site gardens are given top-class treatment to produce a unique fine dining experience. In the spa, a range of natural treatments are available, inspired by the stunning locale. Meetings, events and weddings held here are a good option for environmentally conscious guests.
- Address: 6526 Yount St, Yountville, CA 94599
- To book, check prices or availability for Bardessono Hotel and Spa
13. Embassy Suites Napa Valley – an exotic Mediterranean resort-style hotel that provides great amenities
A mile away from downtown Napa, tall palm trees line the entrance to suites nestled in acres of landscaped grounds. Guest suites are cozy and modern, offered in ten levels of increasing luxury, including private patios, soaking tubs and soothing views of California redwoods and rose gardens. The indoor and outdoor pools offer somewhere to get active or simply relax by.
The grill restaurant also offers a wine list of Napa flavors served in an airy, high-ceilinged space of dark woods and spotless creams. The ballroom, outdoor terraces and boardrooms can host up to 250 guests for meetings and events.
- Address: 1075 California Blvd, Napa, CA 94559
- To book, check prices or availability for Embassy Suites Napa Valley
14. Solage, Auberge Resorts Collection – a bright and lively retreat where pets are welcome
An entire wall of French doors allows swathes of Napa sunlight into living spaces enhanced by sleek design using natural materials. Studios have loft-like layouts with vaulted ceilings, stone floor showers and furnished outdoor patios, while the suite option offers spacious living as well as an outdoor shower and soaking tub.
Sitting at the top of Napa Valley, the resort boasts an award-winning spa featuring Calistoga mud and mineral water treatments and exclusive geothermal pools.
By the pool, light bites of modern Mexican treats are served in the sun, while globally-inspired cuisine is created using farm-fresh Napa Valley ingredients at the more formal resort restaurant. The evening often sees guests enjoying craft cocktails and local wines around a large, soul-warming fire pit.
- Address: 755 Silverado Trail N, Calistoga, CA 94515
- To book, check prices or availability for Solage, Auberge Resorts Collection
15. Candlelight Inn Napa Valley – a romantic English Tudor B&B that has been ranked number one in Napa Valley
This almost fairy-tale, romantic mansion sits behind manicured gardens, not far from downtown Napa. On the scenic patio, guests relax around a seasonal pool, surrounded by cloud-high redwoods.
Guestrooms are modern and sophisticated in a neutral palette balanced with antique-style furniture, many rooms featuring a two-person Jacuzzi tub. A secluded cottage can also be booked, overlooking pretty gardens and magical woodlands with a crackling fireplace, two-person jacuzzi and a king size bed.
The Candlelight Inn is also renowned for its gourmet three-course breakfast, served fresh each morning, followed by a range of wine, snacks, and coffee throughout the day.
- Address: 1045 Easum Dr, Napa, CA 94558
- To book, check prices or availability for Candlelight Inn Napa Valley
16. Hotel Napa Valley, Ascend Hotel Collection – a charming quirky-chic historic hotel close to popular attractions
This quaint, boutique hotel sitting a few blocks from downtown Napa is within easy reach of a plethora of popular restaurants, unique shops and internationally celebrated wineries.
Wood paneled and natural stone walls frame Victorian-style furnishings throughout the hotel. The cozy rooms – each with a fireplace – feature plush fabrics, warm wood and tiled bathrooms. Hot breakfasts set guests up for a day of exploration in the beautiful Napa Valley. Small meetings and events are also held in this homely B and B.
- Address: 1556 Polk St, Napa, CA 94559, United States
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Napa Valley, Ascend Hotel Collection
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unique Hotels in San Francisco
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Sacramento
- Cool and Unique Hotels in San Jose
- Cool boutique hotels in Sonoma
- Cool Boutique hotels in Tacoma
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Santa Cruz
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Pismo Beach
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Seattle
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Portland
- Cool and Unique Hotel in Lake Tahoe
- Cool boutique hotels in Avila Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Laguna Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bend
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Monterey
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Santa Rosa
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Huntington Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Oregon Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Yosemite
- Cool boutique hotels in Berkeley
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Nevada City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mammoth Lakes
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Healdsburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Palo Alto
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Calistoga
Born and raised in Brazil, Gaby has always had a taste for the intriguing, the off-beat and the far flung. After travelling around most of South America, living in Spain and Italy and then moving to England, her feet have stayed continually twitchy. Studying for a degree in Spanish translation and then learning five more languages only poured more fuel onto her travelling ardor.
Gaby likes nothing better than discovering new destinations and meeting the locals, tasting the cuisine and hearing about the local stories. Her other indulgences include French cinema, boxing, photography, colourful manicures and soaking up the rays on a sun-infused beach. She counts Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon and Cornwall as her most favourite places in the world.