Standing on the beautiful River Tyne, Newcastle is an industrial city famous for its stunning landscapes, Victorian buildings, vibrant nightlife, unique regional ‘Geordie’ dialect, compelling history, and gorgeous bridges. I loved this fun, vibrant powerhouse of a city and I think you will too.
What was once a shipbuilding hub has now become one of Western Europe’s top tourist destinations with theatres, museums, markets, and breweries galore.
Among Newcastle’s many unique attractions is its eclectic hospitality scene comprising of boutique Victorian inns, award-winning hotels, and snug lodges. Here are the top cool and unusual hotels in Newcastle, England (in no particular order)...
1. Malmaison Newcastle – an industrial-chic, hip and upscale boutique hotel with Instagrammable features perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Immerse yourself in the sparkling waters of River Tyne from your room’s balcony at Malmaison Newcastle. Perched on the edge of the city centre, the 4-star hotel promises guests a comfy stay in stylish rooms equipped with flat-screen TVs, power showers, coffee makers, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
In the very centre of the hotel is a brasserie offering contemporary British and French dishes. Next to the restaurant is a vibrant cocktail bar serving hand-selected craft beers and intuitive cocktails.
There’s also a state-of-the-art spa, an exercise room, and two meeting rooms.
Address: 104 Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3DX, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Malmaison Newcastle
2. Cairn Hotel Newcastle Jesmond – Part of the Cairn Collection – a quirky-chic, trendy and funky hotel home to one of the city’s most lively bars
If you’re looking for a hip place to stay with easy access to the city centre, Cairn Hotel Newcastle Jesmond may be a perfect choice for you. Set in a brick townhouse on a residential street fringed with trees, the funky hotel is a 2-minute drive from the Jesmond metro station.
Elegant rooms come equipped with flat-panel TVs, coffee machines, and plush bedding. Upgraded rooms offer larger TVs and additional space.
Continental breakfast is provided for free to all guests. The hotel also boasts a contemporary bar, a lively lounge, and an Asian restaurant.
Address: 97-103 Osborne Rd, Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2TJ, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Cairn Hotel Newcastle Jesmond – Part of the Cairn Collection
3. Sandman Signature Newcastle – a vibrant, sleek and Instagrammable hotel within walking distance of iconic local popular attractions
Based in the former offices of Scottish and Newcastle brewery, Sandman Signature Newcastle sits across the street from St. James’ Park football stadium with the Tyne Bridge accessible within a 2-minute drive.
Guests are quartered in refined rooms with microwaves, mini-fridges, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Upgraded units come with kitchenettes, private balconies, bunk beds, and/or sofa beds.
The sleek hotel is also home to a rooftop fitness centre, two meeting rooms, and a sports bar offering a diverse food menu, video games, and pool tables.
Address: Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4SD, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Sandman Signature Newcastle
4. Innside by Melia Newcastle – a new, modern and urban lifestyle hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs to explore and experience all that the city has to offer
Housed in a contemporary brick-and-glass building opposite River Tyne, Innside by Melia Newcastle is all about the comfort and convenience of its guests.
Sophisticated rooms with minimalist decor and floor-to-ceiling windows are fitted with mini-fridges, coffee and tea makers, safety deposit boxes, and flat-screen TVs. Select rooms come with sofa beds, river views, and/or balconies. Suites, on the other hand, offer separate living areas and game consoles.
Guests can treat their buds to amazing Italian dishes at the onsite restaurant, enjoy creative cocktails at the genteel lounge, or indulge in spectacular views of River Tye from the communal terrace.
Address: Bridge Court, Close, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 3BE, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Innside by Melia Newcastle
5. Motel One Newcastle – a trendy and industrial-chic accommodation with hip features steps away from the lively party nightlife
Nestled among restaurants and bars on a cobbled street in High Bridge Quarter, Motel One Newcastle is a 4-minute and 18-minute walk from Monument metro station and Tyne Bridge respectively.
The fashionable hotel provides accommodation in modern rooms with flat-panel TVs, coffee machines, and rainfall showers.
The onsite bar/lounge offers a breakfast buffet in an industrial-chic setting.
Address: 15-25 High Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 1EW, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Motel One Newcastle
6. Hotel Indigo Newcastle, an IHG Hotel – a funky, stylish, and unique design hotel featuring a fabulous Marco Pierre White restaurant
Enhancing the beauty of the historic Grainger Town neighborhood, Hotel Indigo Newcastle stands less than a mile from the Theater Royal. Every room at this 4-star boutique hotel is designed with your needs in mind.
Premium bedding, flat-screen TVs, work desks, mini-fridges, and coffee machines are some of the many conveniences offered in guest rooms.
Onsite facilities include a regional restaurant with live music, a vibrant cocktail bar, an exercise room, and a business room.
Address: 2/8 Fenkle St, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5XU, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Indigo Newcastle, an IHG Hotel
7. Grey Street Hotel – a contemporary, elegant boutique hotel located in the heart of the city
Gregorian charm blends with contemporary design to welcome guests at Grey Street Hotel in the heart of downtown. The 4-star hotel is set in a Grade II listed building with 49 individually decorated rooms having large sash windows, high ceilings, and many original features.
Standard rooms are fitted with flat-panel TVs, DVD players, and coffee machines. Split-level suites, on the other hand, come with iPod docks, sitting areas, and designer toiletries.
Complementing the hotel’s luxurious accommodations are the award-winning Rosette restaurant, floral bar, and beauty salon.
Address: 2-12 Grey St, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 6EE, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Grey Street Hotel
8. County Hotel Newcastle – one of Newcastle’s first hotels, providing guests with a unique, lavish and elegant stay
Relive the Victorian era at this historic hotel located opposite the Newcastle train station. Dating from 1874, County Hotel Newcastle combines historic grandeur with modern elegance.
Sumptuous design, fine textiles, and high-end amenities come together in commodious rooms at the 4-star hotel. Flat-panel TVs, work desks, soft-headboard beds, and coffee machines are featured in all rooms. Suites also offer separate living areas and city views.
A ritzy bar with floor-to-ceiling windows serves classic British cocktails. An eclectic international fare is offered at this onsite restaurant.
Address: Neville St, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DF, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for County Hotel Newcastle
9. Hotel Du Vin Newcastle – a charming, pet-friendly and classic hotel surrounded by an array of shops and restaurants
Hotel du Vin Newcastle beckons vacationers with its enviable location, exquisite Edwardian architecture, and stylishly appointed rooms.
As you step into your room, you’ll discover an interesting mix of sumptuous style and traditional vibe. Egyptian linens, powerful drench showers, deep baths, and plasma TVs are some of the many amenities guests here can luxuriate in. Suites come with streamlined layouts and floor-to-ceiling windows offering bridge views.
The heart and soul of the hotel is its French-style bistro offering a romantic and relaxed setting for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Address: Allan House, City Rd, Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 2BE, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel du Vin Newcastle
10. Jesmond Dene House – an upscale, award-winning and historic hotel where guests can enjoy a country-style setting close to the city
An enriching holiday experience awaits you at this independent luxury hotel nestled in a grand stone Arts and Crafts estate, located two miles from Newcastle University.
With its gorgeous surroundings, excellent service, and warm ambiance, Jesmond Dene House is easily one of the best hotels in Newcastle.
All 42 rooms feature unique decors and top-end amenities, including heated bathroom floors, designer toiletries, Egyptian cotton linens, flat-panel TVs, stocked minibars, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Some rooms also have private gardens or terraces.
An onsite restaurant with a seasonally changing A la Carte menu is accessible to all guests staying here, as is the bar and lounge area where tea and light meals are served.
Address: Jesmond Dene Rd, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2EY, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Jesmond Dene House
11. Royal Station Hotel- Part of the Cairn Collection – a stunning, spacious and Victorian-inspired hotel providing guests with the luxury of an indoor pool, fitness center and spa facilities
Yet another Victorian-inspired hotel with a modern touch, Royal Station Hotel flawlessly combines simplicity with style.
Airy rooms offer all basic amenities, including wireless Internet and satellite TVs. Advanced amenities like mini-fridges are available in suites.
Other facilities include an onsite restaurant, a gym, an indoor pool, a steam room, and a meeting/event space. Guests are also served a full English or continental breakfast for a fee.
Address: Neville St, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 5DH, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Royal Station Hotel- Part of the Cairn Collection
12. Otterburn Castle – a grand, fancy and historic boutique hotel situated on 32-acres of beautifully prepared grounds
Set in an 11th-century castle on an estate stretching across 32 acres, Otterburn Castle guarantees a lavish stay with amenities galore.
Guests lodge in bright rooms with traditional decor and upscale amenities, including coffee machines, 4-poster beds, sitting areas, and fireplaces. Some quarters offer limited complimentary Wi-Fi.
Freebies include cooked breakfast and parking. There’s a refined restaurant with an oak-paneled interior and a bar with outdoor seating. A terraced garden and a lake are also accessible to guests.
Address: Otterburn Tower Hotel, Otterburn, Newcastle upon Tyne NE19 1NS, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Otterburn Castle
13. The Keelman and Big Lamp Brewery – a spacious, classic and rustic hotel ideal for those who love outdoor activities
Witness rural beauty while enjoying all modern comforts at this rustic-chic inn located on the grounds of The Keelman Pub and Big Lamp Brewery.
Spacious lodges feature traditional decor exuding a homey ambiance. Guests can choose between a double room and a triple room. The former comes with a large double bed, while the latter has a single bed and a double bed.
The onsite restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner with Full English/Irish, A la carte, and continental options.
Address: Grange Rd, Newburn, Newcastle upon Tyne NE15 8NL, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for The Keelman Pub and Big Lamp Brewery
14. Hemples Lodge – a lavish, petite and newly renovated B&B where guests can indulge in a delicious freshly made breakfast in their room
An intricate blend of luxury, comfort, and style defines this high-end bed-and-breakfast located eight miles from the city center.
The newly converted east wing features a double bedroom with a 50-inch smart TV, a lounge/dining area with another smart TV and games console, and a bathroom with a walk-in shower.
The fully refurbished west wing, on the other hand, offers wonderfully upholstered sofas, Bluetooth speakers, a 48-inch curved smart TV, and Xbox one in the lounge area. The bedroom has an extra-large double bed with an award-winning orthopedic mattress and the bathroom is fitted with a sunken bath, a power shower, and underfloor heating.
Address: Hemples Lodge, Prestwick Rd, Dinnington, Newcastle upon Tyne NE13 7AD, United Kingdom
- To book, check prices or availability for Hemples Lodge
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Leeds
- Cool boutique hotels in York
- Cool boutique hotels in Harrogate
- Cool boutique hotels in Liverpool
- Cool boutique hotels in Blackpool
- Cool boutique hotels in Manchester
- Cool boutique hotels in Glasgow
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Whitby
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.