Newport Beach is life as it should be, California style, with surf beaches, sunset cruises, and the largest recreational harbor on the Pacific coast for all kinds of water sports and activities. The ten diverse, unique neighborhoods that make up the city offer wine tastings, art exhibits, local markets, and world-class shopping and dining.
Visitors can check out the sunset celebration at the Balboa Fun Zone, hike or bike the trails in the Upper Newport Bay Ecological Reserve, or take a whale-watching excursion. The Boardwalk is where it’s all happening, and where you can find a wide variety of dining options.
There’s a round of annual events, from the Newport Beach International Film Festival and the Newport to Ensenada International Yacht Race in the spring to the annual Christmas Boat Parade, so your visit is sure to be full of excitement any time of the year. From quirky chic boutique inns to trendy and modern resorts, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Newport Beach (in no particular order)…
1. Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel – a contemporary, quirky-chic and instagrammable hotel in a perfect location for Millennials and Gen Zs
The Renaissance Hotel ranks among the cool hotels to enjoy the endless charm of Newport Beach with modern comforts and an exclusive blend of opulence.
This lavish boutique hotel is an architectural masterpiece with its dramatic street presence and elegant interiors. The décor and design are a wonderful amalgamation of coastal-chic aesthetics and sophisticated European-style luxury.
Guests can explore a wide range of well-appointed guest rooms and suites equipped with state-of-the-art appliances, plush bedding, and picturesque views.
Guests have access to 24-hour room service, the in-house Palms pool, private cabanas, meeting rooms, and an on-site coastal restaurant famous for its handcrafted cocktails and live entertainment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel
2. Lido House, Autograph Collection – an elegant, cool, boutique hotel providing guests with an authentic beach house experience
A project of the prestigious Autograph Collection, Lido House reinvents an unpretentious beachside getaway with lavish opulence. Ideally situated on Lido Isle, this luxury boutique hotel offers elegantly designed guest rooms, spacious suites, and private cottages.
The interiors exude a laid-back and relaxed atmosphere with their coastal-themed décor, indulgent comforts, and spellbinding views of Lido Beach.
Travelers can feast on gastronomic seafood spreads at the in-house dining establishment, The Mayor’s Table, or enjoy handcrafted cocktails at Topside, the only rooftop bar in Newport Beach.
Guests also enjoy access to a world-class spa, an outdoor pool, and a state-of-the-art fitness studio. Lido House is a centrally located venue that offers proximity to the Balboa Peninsula and the Lido Marina Village.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lido House, Autograph Collection
3. Balboa Bay Resort – one of the most upscale resorts to stay on Newport Beach with a stylish and modern décor
The Balboa Bay Resort is the only luxury accommodation on Newport Beach to bag the prestigious Forbes Four Star and AAA Four Diamond Luxury Waterfront Resort ranking, which guarantees an indulgently opulent oceanfront experience.
This extravagant resort radiates elegance and sophistication with its tasteful interiors featuring rich wood tones and gracefully coordinated nautical shades of blue.
The guestrooms and suites are spacious, bright, and comfortable, equipped with modern appliances and contemporary-style furniture, such as platform beds, upholstered headboards, fine bedding, and pillow-top plush mattresses.
This seaside retreat is home to a traditional Californian dining establishment, the A+O Restaurant & Bar. Guests cannot miss the resort’s signature Sunday seafood brunch, hosted in the bayfront lighthouse room.
- To book, check prices or availability for Balboa Bay Resort
4. VEA Newport Beach, a Marriott Resort & Spa – a chic, trendy and newly renovated resort featuring an on-site spa, perfect for a rejuvenating retreat
A sophisticated sanctuary of merriment and rejuvenation, the VEA Newport Beach revives Southern Californian traditions in a majestic venue set against the stunning backdrop of the Pacific Ocean.
The VEA is one of the most elegant boutique hotels in Newport Beach, famous for its live entertainment, action-packed poolscape, handcrafted cocktails, and world-class luxury spa.
The hotel underwent a multi-million renovation to modernize the exterior structure, guest rooms, and public spaces, and the result is utterly and insanely extravagant. The newly renovated structure has given the hotel a fresh makeover, layering the guest rooms and suites with powerful layers of opulence.
- To book, check prices or availability for VEA Newport Beach, a Marriott Resort & Spa
5. Resort at Pelican Hill – a 5-star, upscale and historic resort is surrounded by 504 acres of land with picturesque ocean views
The Resort at Pelican Hill is a breathtaking property sprawling over 504 acres of verdant beauty along the Pacific Ocean, famous for its picturesque ocean views and exceptional comforts.
This luxury accommodation delivers finesse and charm with its 128 2-4 bedroom villas and 204 elegantly appointed bungalows with private terraces.
Guests can choose between 2, 3, and 4-bedroom villas decked with modern appliances and fine amenities, or explore the lavish bungalow-style suites featuring private terraces.
The resort is home to a world-class spa that offers highly acclaimed beauty treatments and wellness therapies, a dramatic Coliseum Pool, and multiple fine dining establishments.
Travelers cannot stop raving about the in-house Italian restaurant, Andrea, famous for serving traditional Northern Italian specialties.
- To book, check prices or availability for Resort at Pelican Hill
6. Hyatt Regency Newport Beach – a beautiful, contemporary and pet-friendly hotel offering an on-site golf course and a live music venue
The Hyatt Regency is a luxury retreat overlooking the lush beauty of the Upper Newport Bay Nature Reserve. Inspired by the diversity and landscape of the California desert, the Hyatt Regency is nestled in a 26-acre estate lined with palms and a central courtyard brimming with succulents.
This world-class hotel is home to 410 tastefully decorated guest rooms, luxury suites, and sprawling villas offering premium amenities.
The accommodations are equipped with modern appliances and signature accents, like the luxury Hyatt Grand beds, HDTVs, and iHome Stereo with an iPod docking station.
Guests can enjoy three in-house pools, luxury retail, an executive golf course, and a delightful live music venue famous for hosting the iconic Newport Beach Jazz Festival.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
7. Newport Beach Marriott Bayview – a modern, family-friendly and stylish hotel overlooking the picturesque waterfront and Newport Bay Nature Reserve
Marriott is a world-famous symbol of guaranteed luxury and unparalleled comfort, and the Newport Beach Marriott Bayview is a splendid credit to the hotel chain’s global portfolio. This luxury hotel is more like a peaceful and serene retreat with a magical view of the waterfront and Newport Bay Nature Preserve.
Guests can explore a wide range of standard, mid-sized and luxury guest rooms and suites, beautifully designed with ample lounging space, polished marble-clad bathrooms, and fine bedding.
The hotel offers modern event space for corporate gatherings, weddings, and social events. The in-house Vista. Kitchen.Bar curates a delightful dining experience with upscale American specialties prepared with a Southern Californian twist.
- To book, check prices or availability for Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
8. Balboa Inn, On The Beach At Newport – a unique, quiet and intimate hotel perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
The Balboa Inn is a centrally-located resort that offers an unforgettable beachside location, a stone’s throw away from the mesmerizing ocean, hip restaurants, and eclectic boutiques.
Travelers staying at the Balboa Inn will likely feel spoiled for choice, for the area is sprawling with activities, amenities, and entertainment.
Guests can spend their time lounging on the sand with a delightful read, head out to explore the boardwalk, or splash around in the hotel’s sprawling Jacuzzi pool.
The Balboa Inn is home to 45 elegantly appointed rooms and suites, each offering an intimate setting with contemporary comforts and stunning Oceanside views.
The in-house Siena Restaurant is one of Newport’s finest dining establishments serving Italian cuisine. We recommend enjoying one’s meal at the restaurant’s oceanfront terrace to enjoy spellbinding views of Dana Point and Catalina.
- To book, check prices or availability for Balboa Inn, On The Beach At Newport
9. Marriott’s Newport Coast Villas – a fun, chic, Tuscan-inspired design accommodation ideal for those who enjoy outdoor activities
Families, honeymooners, and travellers craving privacy and solitude will adore the idyllic and intimate setting of Marriott’s Newport Coast Villas.
Situated against the stunning backdrop of the Pacific Ocean, these coastal villas are designed to offer an unforgettable taste of luxury and finesse with ample privacy.
The villas offer direct access to the beach, alongside proximity to popular attractions, including Balboa Island, Knott’s Berry Farm, and Fashion Island. Sprawling over 75 acres of verdant beauty and well-manicured landscape, the villas are lavishly comfortable with a chic Mediterranean-themed aesthetic.
Guests can immerse themselves in the vibrant culture and spellbinding scenery of Southern California while enjoying home-like comforts at the Coast Villas.
- To book, check prices or availability for Marriott’s Newport Coast Villas
10. O’Neill I by AvantStay Coastal Paradise Steps from Beach Modern Décor – a vibrant, quirky and cool accommodation ideal for a Millennials and Gen Zs group vacation
Travelers seeking privacy and home-like luxury will find their match in O’Neill I by AvantStay Coastal Paradise – a tastefully designed vacation home with a bold bohemian flair.
The interiors have a modern décor with vibrant color tones, and this fully air-conditioned vacation rental offers a central location to enjoy the beach and the best of Newport.
The property is ideally suited for families with children and large groups, offering 3 vibrantly decorated bedrooms, 2 bathrooms with a shower, and a state-of-the-art kitchen with stainless steel appliances.
Located a stone’s throw away from the beach, this luxury rental offers proximity to Fashion Island, the Newport Beach Pier, the Balboa Island Ferry, and the John Wayne Airport.
- To book, check prices or availability for O’Neill I by AvantStay Coastal Paradise Steps from Beach Modern Décor
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unique hotels in Huntington Beach
- Cool and Unique hotels in Long Beach
- Cool and Unique hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool and Unique hotels in Santa Monica
- Cool and Unique hotels in Malibu
- Cool and Unique hotels in Santa Barbara
- Cool and Unique hotels in San Diego
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Oceanside
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Santa Catalina Island
- Cool and Unusual hotels in San Clemente
- Cool and Unusual hotels in La Jolla
Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Michael has always been a sucker for an adventure. Growing up he was lucky enough to live in a handful of exotic far flung locations including Hong Kong, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania and since then he’s continued his taste for seeking out new cultures. So much in fact he now travels the world as a trading digital nomad, exploring everything from the sizzling street markets in Bangkok to random back alleys in Sri Lanka and everything in between! He also has a special fondness for Cohibas, street food, playing carrom, and fine wine and knows his clarets from his chiantis. He counts Cuba, Amsterdam, Indonesia, Cambodia and Italy as his favourite destinations.