Nestled on the French Riviera, one of the most glitzy, magnetic and sought-after coastal destinations in the world, the city of Nice is a heady mix of the traditional and sophisticated to new-world cool. It’s long attracted famous artists as well as bohemian thinkers and well-heeled vacationers all drawn by the beautiful architecture, incredible scenery, excellent restaurants, fine wine, sun-kissed beaches and vibrant street life, in fact, there’s nowhere else on earth like it.
Pick a place just as unique and fine to really make your stay, so from charming and creative boutiques to grand and modern, here are the best cool and unusual hotels to stay in Nice, France (in no particular order)...
1. Villa Bougainville by Happyculture – a fun, cool, funky and creative boutique hotel located in the heart of Nice
Villa Bougainville is one of the top-rated hotels in Nice that mimic the atmosphere and opulence of French Riviera resorts with their tasteful interiors and splendid amenities.
This 4-star hotel pays a glorious architectural tribute to the famed world explorer Louis Antoine de Bougainville, and the décor exudes endless charm.
Located at a 12-minute walk from the beach, Villa Bougainville is an upscale boutique hotel nestled in the heart of Nice’s Musician district.
All the guest rooms are equipped with en-suite bathrooms, cable TV, and modern amenities. Guests can enjoy the onsite breakfast buffet and plan their adventures with assistance from the hotel’s tour desk.
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa Bougainville
2. Le Windsor, Jungle Art Hotel – a colourful, kitsch and arty hotel set in a 19th-century building in central Nice
One of Nice’s most artistic and creative hotels, Le Windsor is a comfortable and lavish accommodation that offers chic bohemian interiors with a verdant, jungle-like setting.
Established in a 19th-century building in the heart of Nice, this historic hotel is a family-run establishment with a multitude of amenities and facilities.
It’s a centrally-located accommodation, tucked at a 5-minute walk from the beach and 950 miles away from the Old Town. Guests can’t stop raving about the unique interiors, decorated by a celebrated Italian artist, and the whimsical tropical gardens.
The rooms at the trendy hotel are equipped with an en-suite bathroom, TV screens, and free WiFi, while the larger suites some with a spa bath and expansive balcony.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Windsor, Jungle Art Hotel
3. The Deck Hotel by Happyculture – a hip, trendy and Instagrammable hotel perfect for partying Millenials and Gen Zs
A cool Nice hotel tucked at a 3-minute walk from the beach, The Deck Hotel by Happyculture offers tastefully decorated and comfortable suites.
Popular for its vibrant Mediterranean color schemes and elegant décor, the Deck Hotel is frequented by travelers and families who want to stay in the heart of the action.
This 4-star hotel is a 5-minute walk from the seafront, the central square, and the Promenade des Anglais. Guests can choose between air-conditioned rooms and large suites with private marble-decked bathrooms and modern amenities.
The Deck has a lively and eclectic seaside ambiance, and guests can’t stop raving about the scrumptious continental breakfast buffet.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Deck Hotel by Happyculture
4. AC Hotel Nice by Marriott – a chic and contemporary upscale hotel ideally located a few steps away from Nice’s most famous attractions
Famous for its chic, laid-back atmosphere, the AC Hotel Nice by Marriott, is a 4-star accommodation near the Promenade des Anglais.
The AC Hotel combines an ideally central location with an exclusive taste of French opulence. It offers an abode of peace and tranquillity to indulge in the city’s heritage and enjoy the glitzy lifestyle of the French Riviera.
The hotel’s interiors exude elegance, sophistication, and functionality, geared towards personalizing the guest experience with utmost attention to their comfort.
Guests can choose between a comfortable room with a sprawling view of the city or a lavish suite with a seafront view.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel Nice by Marriott
5. The Jay Hotel by HappyCulture – a cool retro-chic hotel close to famous shops and top restaurants
One of the most remarkable retro hotels in Nice, the Jay Hotel is a 4-star accommodation nestled a few steps away from the Promenade des Anglais.
This boutique hotel is popular for travelers looking for a classic pied-a-terre experience in the heart of the city, with close proximity to famous attractions.
Inspired by the roaring 20s, the interior of the Jay Hotel pays tribute to the Art Deco interiors and furnishings introduced back in the 1920s. Guests can explore 38 luxury apartments on 5 floors, including 23 studio apartments and 15 one-bedroom apartments.
The Jay serves as an ideal base to explore the best Nice has to offer, from beaches and city square to the Palais des Congrès Acropolis and the Palais des Expositions.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Jay Hotel by HappyCulture
6. Hôtel Le G (ex Le Genève) – one of the most unique and Instagrammable boutique hotels in Nice
An iconic and lavish luxury accommodation that offers a one-of-kind experience to live in the heart of the city, Hotel Le G is a boutique hotel offering 16 comfortable rooms and opulent suites.
The close proximity and exuberant interiors of this luxury hotel make the experience unforgettable, drenched in the extravagance of the French Riviera.
Hotel Le G is an oasis of peace and tranquility, situated right in the midst of the maddening crowds of Nice; it offers a quaint and elegant atmosphere.
The hotel is home to a chic bar and a popular restaurant, the Café des Chineurs, famous for authentic French and Mediterranean cuisines.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Le G (ex Le Genève)
7. Boscolo Nice Hotel & Spa – a grand upscale boutique hotel that provides a beautifully appointed setting and chic decor
Boscolo Hotel & Spa is one of the most elegant boutique hotels, popular for its ideal location, situated a stone’s throw away from the Old Town, the Promenade des Anglais and Nice’s most spectacular beaches.
This luxury hotel offers guests an unforgettable taste of opulence with its splendidly furnished guest rooms, signature spa, and an onsite Italian restaurant.
The Belle Epoque-style architecture and gold-and-white interiors exude an old-world charm that is accentuated by the hotel’s lavish amenities.
Guests can enjoy sweeping panoramic views while soaking in a heated swimming pool on the rooftop terrace or book free treatments at the signature spa.
- To book, check prices or availability for Boscolo Hotel & Spa
8. Hotel So’Co by Happyculture – a hip and contemporary hotel suitable for long stays, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Hotel So’Co is an eclectic and chic 3-star accommodation located in the city centre that attracts travellers with its exclusive taste of comfort.
The Hotel So’Co derives its popularity from its hip artisan vibe and commitment to reviving the atmosphere of the Belle Epoque with elegant vintage décor.
Guests can choose between single, double, and superior rooms featuring en-suite bathrooms, air conditioning, private terraces, and quality furniture.
The ideal location makes this trendy hotel a great pick for travellers who like to position themselves in the heart of all the action and entertainment. Guests highly recommend the hotel’s in-house restaurant and complimentary breakfast buffet.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel So’Co by Happyculture
9. Hotel Le Negresco – a striking and unique hotel that offers an amazing beachfront view and quirky chic decor
One of the city’s most remarkable hotels, Le Negresco is an architectural masterpiece, and each suite is a remarkable work of art.
Decked with exceptional interiors and period-style furniture, Le Negresco’s 102 rooms and 26 luxury suites take inspiration from various periods of French art and royalty.
Some suites are inspired by the decorative influences from the Louis XIII period, with a grand Marie Antoinette suite, while others are modelled on modern art.
Hotel Le Negresco represents five centuries of French art, culture, and history with its tastefully lavish interiors and modern comforts.
This centrally-located hotel offers splendid amenities, including a fitness centre, breakfast buffet, and free WiFi.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Le Negresco
10. Villa Otero by Happyculture – a remarkable hotel based in the city’s most iconic neighbourhood
A glorious tribute to the Belle Epoque, Villa Otero is an exemplary establishment that stands out with its masterful architecture, accentuating the old-world charm of Nice’s iconic artist’s district.
Located at a 15-minute walk from the Promenade des Anglais, this opulent boutique hotel is popular amongst jet-setters, business travellers, honeymooners, and families.
The interiors exude a charming Art Deco appeal with tasteful 20s-inspired furnishing, quirky lighting, and vintage frames lining the walls. This artsy seaside resort offers standard, double, and luxury rooms, ideal for solo travellers, couples, and large groups.
The rooms are fully equipped with air conditioning, free WiFi, quality furniture, and delightful seaside views.
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa Otero by Happyculture
11. Hôtel West End Promenade – this 19th-century historic hotel was the first one built on the Promenade des Anglais and is one of the top hotels in Nice
One of the city’s most prestigious historic hotels, the Hôtel West End Promenade is a luxury establishment and an iconic landmark situated on the prestigious Promenade des Anglais.
Constructed back in 1842, Hotel West End is a legendary remnant of the Belle Epoque era, beautifully preserved and upgraded with contemporary enhancements.
Tucked at a 5-minute walk from the Old City, this luxury boutique hotel offers an enchanting ambience with its idyllic combination of French traditions and modern comforts.
Guests can choose from 121 rooms and suites decked with air conditioning, elegant furniture, and quality amenities. The hotel is home to two fine dining restaurants and two eclectic cocktail bars.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel West End Promenade
12. Hotel Beau Rivage – a gorgeous historic family-run Nice that features a private beach
One of Nice’s most celebrated hotels, the Beau Rivage is a 5-star luxury establishment tucked at the tip of Old Town and a stone’s throw away from the beach.
This historic hotel was constructed back in 1860, and today, it offers a contemporary setting with a powerful legacy spanning over 150 years of excellence.
One of the most upscale hotels to explore in the Côte d’Azur, the Beau Rivage features 114 tastefully decorated guest rooms and suites. The large suites come with private terraces, meeting space, a modern cocktail and whisky bar, and a sprawling patio.
Guests adore the hotel’s secret garden and ideal location in the heart of all the action.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Beau Rivage
13. La Malmaison Nice Boutique Hôtel – a charming design boutique hotel ideal for leisure and business stays
Nestled in the heart of Nice, La Malmaison is a chic boutique hotel, popular for its central location and trendy Art Deco-style interiors.
This lavish establishment pays tribute to the artistic culture of the roaring ’20s, offering guests simplistic comforts with a warm and ambient setting.
La Malmaison offers 46 rooms fully equipped with air conditioning, free WiFi, a lounge bar, room service, and other amenities. The larger rooms with a terrace and sprawling views of the city square and beach.
This pet-friendly hotel combines comfort with an ideal location to enjoy easy access to all popular attractions and beaches.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Malmaison Nice Boutique Hôtel
14. Hotel Aston La Scala – one of the best and most romantic hotels in Nice located on the French Riviera
Tucked in the city centre, Hotel Aston La Scala is one of Nice’s Insta-worthy hotels, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs seeking luxury and proximity to leading attractions.
Aston La Scala is 3 minutes away from Place Massena and 5 minutes away from the Promenade des Anglais and the beach.
Guests can explore 149 opulently decorated rooms and suites, of which the premium suites offer breathtaking views of the Promenade du Paillon. Aston La Scala is famous for its signature restaurant, l’Horloge, offering scrumptious French cuisine and fine wines.
Guests can unwind on the rooftop bar and pool with panoramic views of the city centre and nearby attractions.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Aston La Scala
15. Hôtel Univers – a quirky, modern and affordable place to stay in Nice that is within walking distance from the beach
Hôtel Univers is a somewhat affordable hotel compared to other establishments listed here, offering travellers a competitive package of comfort and proximity to popular attractions.
Nestled in the heart of the city, it offers the ideal location to enjoy Nice’s retail therapy, nightlife, beachside relaxation, fine dining, and cultural excursions.
The hotel offers 68 comfortable and contemporary rooms equipped with soundproofing, air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, and private bathrooms. Guests can enjoy the hotel’s signature breakfast buffet, and some of the city’s best attractions are within walking distance.
For instance, Casino Ruhl is located at a 10-minute walk, while Old Town is hardly a stone’s throw away from the hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel Univers
16. Hotel Villa Victoria – a stylish retreat surrounded by nature where guests will have the ultimate relaxation
A paradise of Mediterranean comforts and jet-setting luxury, the Hotel Villa Victoria is a highly valued accommodation tucked in the heart of Nice.
The Villa Victoria is one of the city’s most sought-after luxury hotels, famous for its idyllic garden and serene ambiance.
The hotel is a city landmark on Boulevard Victor Hugo, inspiring awe with its Art Deco-style architecture, ornate interiors, and impeccable design.
The rooms exude comfort and functionality with delightful views of the boulevard and garden, fully equipped with modern amenities and conveniences.
Guests have access to individual safe deposit boxes, free WiFi, tea and coffee essentials, and courteous room service.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Villa Victoria
17. Palais Saleya Boutique hotel – an art boutique hotel based in the heart of Nice’s Old Town
Famous for its ideal location near the beach, flower market, castle and the Cours Saleya, the Palais Saleya is a comfortable and elegant setting to enjoy your stay in Nice.
This four-star boutique hotel is surrounded by popular attractions, making it the ideal accommodation to save up on commuting costs.
Palais Saleya offers 26 luxury suites and apartments decked with state-of-the-art amenities, elegant décor, and fine-quality furnishings. The hotel combines comfort with stunning views of the historic heritage, allowing guests to personalize their adventures on the beach and across the city.
The Avenue du Verdun is located within walking distance, and guests can walk over to the outdoor venue of the Theater de Verdure to attend concerts.
- To book, check prices or availability for Palais Saleya Boutique hotel
18. Nice Excelsior Center Ville – an exquisite and colourful hotel that features rooms inspired by travel and the French Riviera decor
Situated in the heart of the city, Nice Excelsior is a luxury 4-star establishment, ranking amongst the most upscale hotels in the French Riviera.
This establishment is frequented by jet-setters and business travelers seeking luxury and opulent comfort with close attention to their needs.
The interiors of the Nice Excelsior are dripping with elegance. Designed by ace interior designer Sandrine Alouf, every floor of this themed hotel represents a distinct travel theme with vibrant color schemes embodying the Mediterranean spirit.
The colorful rooms are invitingly warm with their rich tones and tasteful décor.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nice Excelsior Center Ville
19. Hotel Suisse – an Italian-stylish hotel where guests can enjoy breathtaking seafront views
One of the best places to stay to explore the city from a centrally located base, the Hotel Suisse invites guests with its stellar location, offering sprawling views of the picturesque Baie des Anges.
This 4-star accommodation is one of the most beautiful hotels on the French Riviera.
Home to 38 opulently decorated rooms, each suite offers stunning seaside views with air conditioning and modern amenities. Jet-setters can’t stop raving about Hotel Suisse’s luxury suite and its stunning panoramic view of the Mediterranean.
This Italian-style hotel is the perfect spot to immerse oneself in the seaside glories for an authentic Mediterranean experience.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Suisse
20. Hotel Le Grimaldi by Happyculture – a unique boutique hotel that provides individually decorated rooms with great facilities
The Grimaldi is a delightful boutique hotel famous for its vibrant interiors and competitive rates that make it an ideal spot to enjoy the splendours of the French Riviera.
This eclectic and quirky 4-star establishment is one of the most creative hotels in the region, symbolizing the traditions of Provence and the Côte d’Azur.
Guests can choose between standard and double rooms and expansive family suites, depending on their needs and bedding requirements.
Tucked at a stone’s throw away from the iconic Promenade des Anglais and the beach, this luxury downtown hotel offers a warm ambience and an eclectic atmosphere.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Le Grimaldi by Happyculture
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Paris
- Cool boutique hotels in Barcelona
- Cool boutique hotels in Madrid
- Cool boutique hotels in Lisbon
- Cool boutique hotels in Rome
- Cool boutique hotels in Amsterdam
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
- Cool boutique hotels in London
- Cool boutique hotels in Copenhagen
- Cool boutique hotels in Prague
- Cool boutique hotels in Budapest
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Vienna
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Brussels
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Val d’Isere
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Courchevel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Meribel
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Lyon
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Andorra
- Cool and Unusual hotels in San Sebastian
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Milan
- Cool and Unusual hotel in Strasbourg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Turin
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Porto
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Marseille
- Cool and Unusual hotels in St. Tropez
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Cannes
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Toulouse
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Monaco
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bordeaux
- Cool and Unusual hotels in La Rochelle
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Provence
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Montpellier
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Corsica
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.