The white sand beaches, the turquoise waters, and the laid-back bohemian vibe, are just a few of the offerings that make Playa del Carmen a sought-after vacation destination. Lying 45 minutes from Cancún along the Yucatán Peninsula, ex-pats and holidaymakers have upheld this charming enclave’s budding reputation as the place to be on the Mexican Caribbean Coast.
Playa del Carmen offers a little something for everyone, with proximity to nearby Mayan cultural centres and offshore islands. Its eclectic hotel scene radiates its Boho Chic vibe, from elegant boutiques to glamorous all-inclusive resorts. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Playa del Carmen, Mexico (in no particular order)…
1. Platinum Yucatan Princess Adults Only – All Inclusive – an Instagrammable, unique and upscale resort overlooking the breathtaking Caribbean Ocean
Born to be one of the Riviera Maya’s reference resorts, The Platinum Yucatan Princess faces the crystal-clear waters of the Mexican Caribbean, and offers a paradisiacal environment where you can enjoy the art of sophistication, luxury, and serenity combined.
The contemporary suites boast private access to the hotel pool, and are decked out with modern amenities and soft, natural hues.
To disconnect from the daily routine, you can indulge in renewing treatments in the on-site spa, or energize with the diverse range of leisure activities on offer. Here, paddle boarding, snorkelling, and diving by day is following by a charming entertainment scene by night.
- To book, check prices or availability Platinum Yucatan Princess Adults Only – All Inclusive
2. The Yucatan Resort Playa del Carmen, All-Inclusive Adults Only, Tapestry by Hilton – a chic, Instagrammable and trendy resort perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
This adults-only resort invites you to live the coastal life in an intimate and boutique setting, on the town’s most iconic street. Each accommodation pops with vibrant colour, and shares a nod to the resort’s tropical surroundings.
At The Yucatan, you can indulge in a spot of respite at the rooftop pool before taking your tastebuds on a global journey with Peruvian-Japanese eats, and finish off by relaxing mind and body as you treat your senses to holistic therapies at the spa.
Every turn through the property leaves you mesmerized by the spirited art and design, with a strong undertone of chic sophistication throughout.
- To book, check prices or availability The Yucatan Resort Playa del Carmen, All-Inclusive Adults Only, Tapestry by Hilton
3. Etéreo, Auberge Resorts Collection – one of the best new hotels in the world offering guests a 5-star, design and Insta-worthy stay
Etéreo, meaning ethereal, is a luxury haven which plunges you into a spiritual paradise, and unites you with rhythms of nature to inspire a sense of renewal.
Secluded from the distractions of modern life, Etéreo is rooted in Mayan philosophies, which radiate through the extraordinary cuisine, the rejuvenating spa, and the epic encounter with beaches.
Seamlessly floating over a mangrove forest facing the unspoiled white sand beaches of the Caribbean, this cool resort engages with an incredible, storied culture, and connects effortlessly with Mexico’s beautiful traditions.
The property’s unique, spiritual symbology permeates the communal spaces, which are backdropped by exquisite works by celebrated Mexican artist Manuel Felguérez.
- To book, check prices or availability Etéreo, Auberge Resorts Collection
4. Secrets Impression Moxché – Adults Only – All Inclusive – a lavish, stylish and unique resort where guests can experience the finest dining in Playa del Carmen
Escape into luxury at this romantic getaway, where exotic ocean views, gourmet room service, and sunset beach walks form the blissful serenade to your coastal vacation.
Set on a pristine strip of white sandy beach, all of the 485 opulent suites provide a modern experience rooted in an earthy feel, topped with an in-room rolling bar.
The affluent surroundings of exquisite architecture and state-of-the-art comforts make this resort a truly memorable hideaway.
Redefining and elevating the all-inclusive resort experience, Secrets Impression Moxché offers the ultimate backdrop for a rendezvous and boasts stunning rooftop pools, numerous tours and activities, and a tranquil, full-service spa and salon.
- To book, check prices or availability Secrets Impression Moxché – Adults Only – All Inclusive
5. La Casa de la Playa by Xcaret- All Inclusive Adults Only – one of the newest luxury resorts in Mexico offering a rustic-chic, beautiful and intimate stay
Portraying a cheerful soul and a spirit of exceptional service, the sustainable heritage of La Casa de la Playa reflects the silence of the jungle and the gentle waves of the Caribbean Sea.
This new boutique hotel set in the Riviera Maya offers 63 homely, sea-facing suites which captivate you with their fascinating landscape views, and are ornated with works of art and crafts.
During your stay here, you can indulge in wine experiences by celebrity chefs, and exclusive activities in the Xcaret parks. As you reconnect with nature, this eclectic hotel is ready to pamper the senses with a gastronomic ensemble of world-renowned flavours.
- To book, check prices or availability La Casa de la Playa by Xcaret- All Inclusive Adults Only
6. Thompson Playa del Carmen – Adults Only – a concept by Hyatt – a trendy, upscale and vibrant hotel perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Crowned by a spectacular signature rooftop playscape with 360-degree panoramas, Thompson Playa del Carmen takes the adults-only boutique hotel scene to new heights.
A block-long infinity pool bordered by luxury cabanas and breath-taking seascapes provides an unparalleled spot of respite, and turns into a vibrant social scene by night, with live DJs adding a Mexican boho flair.
The 92 guestrooms and suites feature mid-century aesthetics, with a serene sand-tone palette infiltrated to add a relaxing touch. Sweeping views are framed by epic floor-to-ceiling windows, which can be enjoyed alongside a cocktail and gourmet treat from the in-room craft cocktail bar.
- To book, check prices or availability Thompson Playa del Carmen – Adults Only – a concept by Hyatt
7. Andaz Mayakoba – a concept by Hyatt – an elegant, modern and lavish resort surrounded by tranquil lagoons and lush jungle
This secluded resort is nestled on the coastline of the Mexican Caribbean, girdled by nature and vegetation. Exceptional attention to detail has seen the interior embellished by unique artwork, with an Octopus mural adding a vibrant touch.
A refreshing outdoor pool and heated hot tub offer an idyllic spot to immerse yourself in lush greenery and tropical landscaping, featuring exquisite views of the sparkling Caribbean beachfront.
The guestrooms and suites at Andaz Mayakoba boast open layouts, and a nature-inspired colour palette reflective of stone, sand, and water, topped with refined Mayan décor. The on-site ‘Naum Wellness & Spa’ provides blissful Mayan rituals, and helps you to custom create your own treatment plans.
- To book, check prices or availability Andaz Mayakoba – a concept by Hyatt
8. Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique – All Inclusive Adults Only – a 5-star, new and trendy resort perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Steeped in avant-garde design elements, this boutique resort is a work of minimalist, organic hues, with an open concept adorned by gardens and works of art.
Here, a unique, artful pampering experience is the result of a fusion of Eastern heritage and the effervescent diversity of Yucatecan culture.
Grounded in elegance and quality, Blue Diamond’s opulent suites are arranged around the river, the lagoon, and the cenote, echoing the brand’s pledge to honouring the local, natural environment.
The philosophy of holism suffuses the property, seeking to inspire a state of connectedness and well-being amongst guests, and enthuse a balance between mind, body, and soul.
- To book, check prices or availability Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique – All Inclusive Adults Only
9. Palmaïa – The House of AïA Wellness Enclave All Inclusive – an award-winning, tranquil and contemporary resort designed for guests to enjoy a relaxing and rejuvenating stay
Imagine a mystical place born from the vivacious complexity of contemporary Mexico, where a blend of ancient roots and sacred rituals forms a natural beach enclave.
Here, inspired architecture coalesces seamlessly with modern design principles, and serene spaces of comfort. Oceanfront swim-up suites are complemented by elegant décor, holistic amenities, and the tranquillity you would expect from a yoga retreat. The connection between mind and body is an ever-present reality at, as trendsetting wellness experiences are influenced by the vibrant jungle energy of the Mayan Riviera.
The property further boasts an eclectic array of gourmet restaurants, overseen by internationally accredited chefs who have served in Michelin-starred restaurants.
- To book, check prices or availability Palmaïa – The House of AïA Wellness Enclave All Inclusive
10. Mvngata Boutique Hotel – a contemporary, upscale and chic hotel located on a private beach
Mvngata’s name originates from the natural wonder Mångata, a Swedish term for the reflection of moonlight on the water, a true spectacle you can witness in this stunning boutique hotel.
Surrounded by the joy of nature, Mvngata offers an enchanting and secluded place to toast the night away in one of the most intimate corners of Playa del Carmen.
Every step through the hotel’s grounds brings a new type of discovery, from the pristine sands of the private beach to the alluring interiors of the 23 suites and eclectic restaurants. All accommodations reflect the artisanal side of Mexico, and share a nod to the spellbinding shapes and colours of the sea, offering an idyllic, romantic escape.
- To book, check prices or availability Mvngata Boutique Hotel
11. KAYAK Sol Playa del Carmen – a cool, hip and bright hotel offering guests complimentary bikes to explore
As you plunge into your Mexican adventures, Sol is your perfect reset spot, with one of Playa del Carmen’s most blissful outdoor pools dotted by cabanas and plush sun loungers.
An air of elegance spreads into the bright and airy guestrooms, many of which boast private outdoor spaces ideal for absorbing the Yucatan’s golden sunshine.
In these secluded havens, coral-inspired colour embellishments contrast the earthy tones, kickstarting your every day with a positive glow as you enjoy a coffee with a view.
Coastal and casual, the on-site bar & restaurant is your ultimate post-beach perch, and boasts a tequila-forward cocktail menu to accompany the seafood staples and indulgent brunch-style items.
- To book, check prices or availability KAYAK Sol Playa Del Carmen
12. Soho Playa Hotel – one of the first urban hotels in Playa del Carmen providing guests with an elegant, charming and cool stay
Here we have Playa del Carmen’s first Urban Chic Hotel, which effortlessly blends comfort, style, and relaxation to create a one-of-a-kind boutique experience.
Once you step inside, you will recognize the quality and sophisticated approach which the hotel prides itself on, which is enhanced by artful, personal touches.
The air-conditioned guestrooms feature urban-style décor, with colourful embellishments adding a creative flair, while state-of-the-art amenities provide the comforts of home.
Further on-site offerings include premium yoga classes, a sky-blue outdoor pool dotted by cosy sun loungers, and a trendy lounge & bar offering hand-crafted cocktails and artisan coffees.
Centrally located just one block from the famous 5th avenue, Soho Playa Hotel is ideally located to enjoy the downtown gems of Playa del Carmen.
- To book, check prices or availability Soho Playa Hotel
13. Soul Beach Boutique Hotel & Spa – a vibrant, chic and unique hotel featuring an outdoor pool and wellness center
Inviting business and leisure travellers to indulge in a world of pleasures from one of the most celebrated corners of the Riviera Maya, Soul Beach Hotel embellishes its unique style with five-star comforts.
Located next to the hip-trendy part of the Riviera, this stunning hotel puts you a stone’s throw from Playa del Carmen’s most exclusive boutiques and malls.
The thoughtful selection of services and facilities endorses optimum comfort, offering a toast to good vibes and beautiful adventures. In the hotel, you will find a comprehensive range of spa offerings, the sumptuous Steak & Tonic restaurant, and an outdoor pool with solarium area.
- To book, check prices or availability Soul Beach Boutique Hotel & Spa
14. Unic Design Hotel – 5th Avenue – a tech-savvy, boho-chic and modern hotel in close proximity to several beach clubs and restaurants
Taking the essence of Boho Chic to new heights, this design-centric, tech-forward hotel is adorned with graceful décor and bright pops of colour, stimulating the senses and inspiring a happy, stress-free vigour.
Unic blends contemporary elegance with hip flair, and evokes a sense of sophisticated glamour in the 21 amenity-laden guestrooms.
These private sanctuaries offer a coffeemaker, a washing machine, and a microwave oven, while the plush bedding and pillow-top mattresses accommodate a blissful night’s sleep.
The property is set in Centro district, a short stroll to the epic night scene of 5th Avenue, however for those who prefer a peaceful reprieve, the on-site garden and restaurant are a tranquil alternative.
- To book, check prices or availability Unic Design Hotel – 5th Avenue
15. Vainilla Bed and Breakfast Mexico – a cozy, colorful and quiet accommodation offering guests a continental breakfast daily
Situated a short stroll from the world-famous 5th Avenue and the turquoise beach of Playa del Carmen, this family-run property offers a homely and cosy atmosphere, topped with the facilities and attention of a five-star resort.
A stay here keeps you nestled within a colourful garden girdled by fruit trees, where the scent of vanilla orchids offers a chance to retreat to a more natural way of living.
Vainilla Bed & Breakfast features a design-centric, vivacious ambiance, and stimulates an air of creativity through thoughtful appointings in the guestrooms, and artful touches to your breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- To book, check prices or availability Vainilla Bed & Breakfast Mexico
16. Cocos Cabañas Playa del Carmen Adults Only – a tropical-inspired, cozy and unique accommodation well located for guests who enjoy water sports
Designed with a tropical ambiance at the core, Cocos Cabañas lines an elegant outdoor pool with swaying hammocks, towering palms, and comfy loungers shaded by thatched-roofed cabanas.
Communal seating areas are quaintly appointed around the property, but are nestled within their own jungle setting, evoking the sensation of a quiet rainforest lodge.
Whilst this spirit emanates into the thatched-roofed bungalows, it is met with a sumptuous tone set by stone and wood, and beautified by plush bedding arrangements.
The on-site restaurant has become a well-known delight for locals and travellers alike, with menu offerings influenced by both European and Mexican cuisines.
- To book, check prices or availability Cocos Cabañas Playa del Carmen Adults Only
17. Quinta Margarita – Boho Chic Hotel – a petite, hip boutique accommodation ideally located for sightseeing and exploring the town
Inviting guests to revel in a delightful open-air ambiance, this Boho Chic Hotel offers a scintillating pool area dotted by comfy sun loungers and swaying hammocks.
The charm of Playa del Carmen can be soaked up with every stride through the property’s lush grounds, owing to the tree-lined surrounds and the elegant wooden verandas.
Quinta Margarita prides itself on the uniqueness of each room, designed with an exclusive theme paying homage to the vibrancy of this charming coastal haven.
The hotel strives to create a smooth hospitality experience, and achieves this through a bespoke, personalized concierge service, fun tour offerings, spa services, and VIP access to local shows and nightclubs.
- To book, check prices or availability Quinta Margarita – Boho Chic Hotel
18. dewl estudios & residences : THE KAHLO – a hip, bright and quirky accommodation within walking distance of Los Fundadores Park
The perfect union of home comforts and high-end resort dependability, The Kahlo takes the best of the vibrant Mexican culture to curate a stunning property maximizing comfort, intimacy, and quality.
With the inspiration of local artists and creators, this eclectic hotel has fuelled a sophisticated ambiance, consisting of but not overpowered by vibrant colours and quirky décor.
Each room is equipped with an ergonomic workstation, a flat-screen TV, and a terrace with a city view. The property is situated just 1 km from Playa del Carmen, and within 400 metres of the city’s main thoroughfare, offering convenient access to an effervescent night scene.
- To book, check prices or availability dewl estudios & residences : THE KAHLO
19. In Fashion Hotel & Spa – an urban, creative and contemporary accommodation located in the heart of Playa del Carmen
Situated in the beating heart of Playa del Carmen, this urban, contemporary hotel is designed to awaken your senses with a blissful blend of natural rhythms and an opulent atmosphere.
Okoume wood furniture features in each artfully designed suite, which includes a flat-screen cable TV and a stocked mini-bar. The boutique ambiance makes even the weariest patron feel right at home, through thoughtful technologies and five-star in-room amenities.
A stay here grants you access to an outstanding selection of on-site facilities, including a graceful café, a quaint rooftop terrace replete with ocean vistas, and an eclectic hip bar & lounge.
- To book, check prices or availability In Fashion Hotel & Spa
20. Hotel Kinbe – a stylish, rustic boutique accommodation steps away from the famous 5th Avenue
This graceful boutique hotel fills a lush garden setting with a bohemian vibe, with a supreme location just 50 metres from the sparkling ocean, and a few steps from the celebrated handcraft stores of Quinta Avenida.
Contrasting the artistic features of the poolside area, which includes wood and onyx stone going up the stairwell, the garden offers a more rustic ambiance, topped with a bountiful array of tropical plants for shading.
From the hotel’s rooftop, you can gaze over dazzling sunrise and sunset views, where an intimate atmosphere welcomes travellers from near and far. The guestrooms offer a comfortable night’s sleep, in a sanctuary characterized by modern lighting, quirky paintings, and plenty of natural wood.
- To book, check prices or availability Hotel Kinbe
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Cancun
- Cool boutique hotels in Bermuda
- Cool boutique hotels in The Bahamas
- Cool boutique hotels in Miami
- Cool boutique hotels in Jamaica
- Cool boutique hotels in Barbados
- Cool boutique hotels in Punta Cuna
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Isla Mujeres
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tulum
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Isla Holbox
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mexico City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Costa Rica
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Belize
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Panama City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Buenos Aires
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Tijuana
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Oaxaca
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Puerto Vallarta
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.