Nestled on the shores of the exquisite Coral Sea, Port Douglas acts as a base for travellers visiting the Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef, the world’s largest reef network. The picturesque town was once a placid fishing village with towering palm trees leaning towards the turquoise sea.
It is known for the magnificent Four Mile Beach fringed by lush tropical foliage, the Cape Tribulation where two World Heritage-listed sites meet, and the bustling Macrossan Street lined with restaurants, galleries, and boutiques. Whether you’re outdoorsy or prefer spending time indoors, you’ll find plenty of things to do in this lovely coastal town.
Port Douglas’s hospitality scene offers an incredible array of options, from spa resorts to boutique hotels to cosy cottages. Here are the top cool and unusual hotels in Port Douglas, Australia (in no particular order)...
1. Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort and Spa – a chic, hip and trendy resort where guests can relax amidst cool decor and lush surroundings
A gorgeous upscale hotel near Four Mile Beach, Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort & Spa caters to the most affluent stripe of vacationers.
With spacious accommodations, a classy onsite restaurant, and an all-inclusive wellness center, this high-end hotel is arguably one of the best hotels in Port Douglas.
Guests lodge in opulently furnished rooms and apartments with upscale amenities, including minibars, whirlpool tubs, plunge pools, and BBQ facilities. All units feature satellite TVs, while apartments come with private terraces and full kitchens. The three-bedroom beachfront villa provides the most luxurious lodging experience.
There’s also a refined eatery with a sizable menu featuring international dishes. Guests also enjoy access to an outdoor lagoon-style pool with a hot tub, a gym, a golf course, and a bar.
Address: Mitre St, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort & Spa
2. Sea Temple Port Douglas Luxury Apartments – one of the most Instagrammable resorts in Port Douglas perfect for a couple’s break
Gorgeously perched near Vie Spa Port Douglas, Sea Temple Port Douglas Luxury Apartments overlook the azure Coral Sea and provide a broad array of amenities, including a stylish bar, a golf course, and a sun deck.
Its proximity to Four Mile Beach makes it one of the most in-demand hotels in Port Douglas.
Each of the 136 units comes equipped with a laptop-size safe, a coffee/tea maker, a kitchen, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
The onsite restaurant offers a curated selection of Australian specialties, from vegemite to Aussie meat pie. The nearby restaurants also provide an authentic Australian cuisine experience.
Address: 22 Mitre Street, Port Douglas, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Sea Temple Port Douglas Luxury Apartments
3. Pandanus Cottage – tranquil, intimate and romantic accommodation with chic decor and lush tropical surroundings
A perfect home away from home, Pandanus Cottage offers an interesting blend of homeliness and luxury. Located near Macrossan Street, the three-bedroom property provides easy access to some of the major attractions of Port Douglas.
Sleeping up to six adults, this snug cottage is perfect for family vacations. The interior features traditional decor with modern touches. From the colourful cushions featured in the living room to the gorgeous artwork, everything will remind you of home.
Address: fullmoon terraces, 5/9 Craven Cl, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Pandanus Cottage
4. Oaks Port Douglas Resort – a tropical, fun and exotic resort that offers a cool and unforgettable experience
Have an unforgettable tropical vacation of your life at this designer resort on Port Douglas Road, about two miles from Highway 44.
Offering flat-screen TVs, work desks, and minibars in bedrooms, Oaks Port Douglas Resort stands as one of the top-rated hotels in town. Lodging options range from one- to two-bedroom villas, each of which boasts modern decor. Private balconies offer sweeping views of the Coral Sea.
Dine on Australian classics at the onsite restaurant, sip creative cocktails in the chic lounge, or take a dip in the lagoon-style pool – you can never get enough of the hotel’s top-end amenities.
Address: 87-109 Port Douglas Rd, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Oaks Port Douglas Resort
5. Port Douglas Cottage & Lodge – a cute and charming hotel that provides a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle
Experience the best of Aussie hospitality at these Queenslander-style holiday homes nestled amidst luxuriant gardens in the heart of Port Douglas. The deluxe, two-story cottage can sleep up to two adults and the two-bedroom lodge has a capacity for four adults.
Each property boasts a sundeck, a private heated pool, and an outdoor space with BBQ facilities. High-speed internet is also available throughout each property.
Port Douglas Cottage & Lodge puts you close to some amazing local and chain dining options. Plus, you’ll be steps from the serene waters of the Coral Sea.
Address: 4 Owen Street, 4877 Port Douglas, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Port Douglas Cottage & Lodge
6. Shantara Resort Port Douglas – Adults-Only Retreat – a one-of-a-kind resort that provides boutique-style accommodation with a private balcony
Shantara Resort Port Douglas enjoys an unparalleled beachside location about three miles from Wildlife Habitat park. The adults-only, aparthotel caters especially to honeymooners and independent travelers.
The upmarket amenities available at the 4-star hotel include two lagoon-style outdoor pools, a BBQ area, a chic spa, and a wellness center.
Standard units feature basic amenities like flat-screen TVs and kitchenettes, while apartments come with full kitchens and balconies/decks with direct pool access. Upgraded apartments offer private outdoor hot tubs.
Address: 27-31 Davidson St, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Shantara Resort Port Douglas – Adults-Only Retreat
7. Peppers Beach Club – a hip upscale resort where guests get the celebrity treatment with world-class service
A middle ground between plainness and grandeur, Peppers Beach Club is where you can see your tropical dream vacation materialize. The 5-star hotel offers three types of accommodations, namely rooms, penthouses, and suites.
The unfussy units boast a multitude of amenities, including minibars, safes, complimentary Wi-Fi, tea and coffee makers, private plunge pools, private hot tubs, terraces, and kitchens.
Take a dip in the outdoor pool, soak in the sun on the artificial beach, or work up a sweat at the gym – there’s so much you can do onsite. The best part about staying here is that you’ll be within a 5-minute walk of Four Mile Beach.
Address: 20-22 Davidson St, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Peppers Beach Club
8. Niramaya Villas and Spa – a prime resort that is housed in Balinese-inspired buildings with interconnecting courtyards and water features
Set in Balinese-inspired buildings spanning 15 hectares of tropical gardens, Niramaya Villas and Spa seamlessly combines metropolitan comfort with country charm.
The state-of-the-art villas with interconnecting water features and courtyards offer a wide array of amenities, from outdoor showers to full kitchens to heated plunge pools.
The luxury resort also houses a polished restaurant, a bar with a sizable collection of liquors, an outdoor pool, and a high-end spa offering facials and beauty treatments.
Address: 1 Bale Dr, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Niramaya Villas and Spa
9. Pink Flamingo Resort – a colourful, kitsch, and fun party resort that offers an intimate environment
Sitting close to the restaurants and shops of The Reef Marina, Pink Flamingo Resort is a kaleidoscopic heaven welcoming pleasure-seekers to a chemotherapeutic vacationing experience.
Guests reside in vibrant, hip studios and villas with flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, kitchenettes, and furnished terraces offering stunning garden views. Villas boast private courtyards, hammocks, and outdoor baths.
As you explore the property, you’ll come across a heated outdoor pool, several tropical gardens, a poolside bar, an outdoor fitness room, a billiard room, and a BBQ area.
Address: 115 Davidson St, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Pink Flamingo Resort
10. Sonia’s At Ramada Resort Free Wifi & 2 Push Bikes – a naturalist place to stay in Port Douglas where guests can enjoy hiking and cycling activities
An enchanting oasis set amid lush gardens with palm trees, Sonia’s At Ramada Resort has a homey atmosphere with upscale facilities.
Among the facilities available are in-room flat-screens with cable tv, private bathrooms, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
Treat yourself to snacks and drinks from the vending machine, satisfy your appetite at the onsite restaurants, or go hiking nearby.
Address: Ramada Resort/Treetops, 316 Port Douglas Road, 4877 Port Douglas, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Sonia’s At Ramada Resort Free Wifi & 2 Push Bikes
11. Port Douglas Retreat – the perfect accommodation to gather friends and family
Port Douglas Retreat welcomes travelers to witness the definition of comfort. This homely hotel is set among tropical gardens on Mowbray Street with easy access to the town’s main shopping and dining district.
From stylish furnishings to tiled floors to flat-screen TVs, guestrooms at the 3-star hotel are equipped with a broad range of amenities.
Wash off your worries in the heated saltwater pool, bask on the sun terrace, or grill some BBQ in the hotel’s gazebo.
Address: 31-33 Mowbray St, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Port Douglas Retreat
12. Villa San Michele (Official) – a lovely upscale villa tucked between greenery
Bringing Mediterranean charm to the heart of Port Douglas, Villa San Michele enjoys a beautiful location on Macrossan Street steps from award-winning restaurants.
Guests are quartered in elegantly decorated one- to two-bedroom apartments with balconies, kitchens, digital safes, satellite TVs, and ironing equipment.
While staying here, you can also benefit from a poolside barbecue and dining area, complimentary guest laundries, a spa, and two heated saltwater swimming pools.
Address: 39-41 Macrossan St, 4877 Port Douglas, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa San Michele (Official)
13. Port Douglas Peninsula Boutique Hotel – Adults Only Haven – an oasis paradise that offers Insta-worthy breathtaking ocean views
Elevate your holiday experience with a stay at Port Douglas Peninsula Boutique Hotel across the street from Four Miles Beach.
The adults-only hotel features 34 tropical-inspired suites with wraparound balconies, kitchenettes, tea and coffee-making equipment, whirlpool tubs, and living areas.
In the morning, you can enjoy a lavish poolside breakfast buffet for free. The hotel’s Hi-Tide Cafe-Bar-Restaurant offers an impressive selection of Aussie dishes in an oceanfront setting.
Address: 9/13 Esplanade, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Port Douglas Peninsula Boutique Hotel – Adults Only Haven
14. Freestyle Resort Port Douglas – a high-end resort that is within walking distance to the beach
If you want a luxurious stay with personalized service, Freestyle Resort Port Douglas may be a perfect pick for you. This laid-back hotel on Davidson Street is no less than a tropical nirvana with a homey vibe.
One- to two-bedroom apartments surround a central courtyard housing a sundeck, a shaded BBQ area, and a saltwater pool. Each apartment is fitted with a kitchenette, a balcony or patio, a flat-screen TV, and free Wi-Fi. Split-level units also boast outdoor dining areas.
Address: 47 Davidson St, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Freestyle Resort Port Douglas
15. Outrigger Apartments Port Douglas – an upmarket aparthotel that offers a heated saltwater swimming pool and tropical gardens
Housed in a restrained building surrounded by verdant gardens, Outrigger Apartments Port Douglas provides accommodation in self-contained apartments, all of which have been recently refurbished.
These functional yet attractive units come with balconies, kitchens, flat-screen TVs, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Shared amenities include a heated outdoor saltwater pool, a patio with BBQ facilities, and
Due to its proximity to the Reef Marina, the aparthotel is popular among epicureans and shopping enthusiasts.
Address: 16 Mudlo St, Port Douglas QLD 4877, Australia
- To book, check prices or availability for Outrigger Apartments Port Douglas
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Brisbane
- Cool boutique hotels on The Gold Coast
- Cool boutique hotels in Byron Bay
- Cool boutique hotels in Noosa
- Cool boutique hotels in Sydney
- Cool boutique hotels in Hobart
- Cool boutique hotels in Melbourne
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam