Ah Provence! Probably one of the most beautiful regions in France it has everything, from medieval hill towns to glamorous beach resorts, from beautiful lavender fields to artists’ colonies, all wrapped up in the blue sky, occasional mistral winds and delicious cuisine.
It is no surprise that many a writer, painter and dreamer have been drawn here in the past and continue to feel the pull of this gorgeous and unique province. From quirky boutiques to modern resorts, here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in Provence, France (in no particular order) to help you get started…
1. Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel – a hip, trendy contemporary and very Instagrammable hotel set in the heart of the city where you can walk to the Grand Théâtre de Provence
Aix-en-Provence is one of the bigger cities in the region and steeped in history, especially if you are a fan of Paul Cezanne, who was lucky enough to count it as his hometown. The Renaissance is a luxury hotel offering 5 star comfort in the midst of the city’s famous sights.
The rooms are classy and well-appointed and guests have access to a fitness suite, swimming pool and wonderful cuisine in the Atmosph’R restaurant, the seasonal garden terrace restaurant Palms and the buzzing lounge bar l’Avant Scene.
- To book, check prices or availability for Renaissance Aix-en-Provence Hotel
2. Château de Berne – an upscale and naturalist place to stay in Provence that offers stunning views over the vines, ideal for the ultimate relaxation
This beautiful high-end, rustic hotel is set in an old chateau within 150 hectares of stunning grounds and gardens.
All the peace and beauty of the Var region can be absorbed from here, completely peaceful and remote but still close enough to visit some of Provence’s Beaux Villages.
Rolling vineyards, olive groves, forests and lakes abound here, to stay is to truly switch off and embrace nature. The spacious rooms embody luxury country chic, all guests have access to the spa facilities, pool and other events and activities arranged by the hotel.
Foodies will love the Michelin-starred restaurant La Jardin de Berne, which explores holistic and sustainable cuisine to create new explosions of flavour, but if fine dining is not your thing then taste authentic Provençal dishes on the terrace at Olivier De Berne or hearty soul food in La Bistrot.
The hotel operates on a seasonal basis and closes during winter months so book early to avoid disappointment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Château de Berne
3. Le Hameau Des Pesquiers Ecolodge & Spa, Curio Collection By Hilton – one of the most Instagrammable upscale hotels in Provence where guests can appreciate a beachfront view
A glorious luxury ecolodge on the Cote d’ Azur with nature at its heart. Le Hameau Des Pasquiers is a wooden-clad haven that blends perfectly with its stunning surroundings.
Guests can soak up the peace and tranquillity of the region, enjoy delicious Provençal cuisine prepared with ingredients from the vegetable garden, relax in the gorgeous wet room and spa and enjoy sunset strolls along the beach.
Breathe in the scent of the 100-year-old pines and lie back on crisp white sheets, all with minimal impact on the environment in the stunning setting of Port Cros National Park.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Hameau Des Pesquiers Ecolodge & Spa, Curio Collection By Hilton
4. Lily of the Valley – a trendy, charming and refined hotel designed by the famous industrial architect Philippe Starck, that is along the Mediterranean coastline in La Croix Valmer
This is a 5* hotel and retreat dedicated to wellness and weight loss, so if you are trying to achieve a perfect beach bod and have a few thousand to spend this is the place for you!
It’s high-end in terms of price and facilities with each room offering views of either the gardens, the pool or the Mediterranean Ocean. Simple luxury is the key throughout and guests are able to look out onto the protected Cap Lardier estate from wicker lounges beneath palm-fronded verandas.
On-site are sports coaches, personal trainers and specialist nutritionists to guide you on your own journey to optimum health. As you would expect there are state-of-the-art gym and sports facilities on site and all that lovely nature to immerse yourself in also!
- To book, check prices or availability for Lily of the Valley
5. Hostellerie La Farandole – a sophisticated and elegant seafront boutique hotel that overlooks Gorguette Beach
This 4-star beauty offers a rooftop pool and jacuzzi, gourmet Mediterranean cuisine, exceptional ocean views and beach and 27 bright and beautiful rooms.
Guests can also take advantage of the SPA facilities for all round wellness and glow. Ideally located in Sanery-Sur -Mar, overlooking the Bay of Bandol between Marseille and Saint-Tropez.
Wheel out your most fancy swimwear and live it up Cote d’ Azur style.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hostellerie La Farandole
6. Tiara Miramar Beach Hotel & Spa – a very romantic and wow-inducing hotel spa that features lavish décor and panoramic views of the Mediterranean Sea
Pretend you are one of the jet set for a few nights in this spectacular beach hotel right in the heart of the French Riviera!
Bright airy rooms with views of the Mediterranean, infinity pool and spa, deck chairs on the private beach and attentive staff combine to create a wonderful luxury getaway for all!
Get your most glamorous bathing suit out and soak up the sun or don your whites for a game of tennis on the private courts followed by a relaxed lunch Al fresco at Moyà beach bar. Book yourself in for some water sports or cycle out along the coastline.
The Miramar is perfectly situated for exploring all the gems along the Cote d’ Azur, a cool and luxurious hotel for a classy clientele.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tiara Miramar Beach Hotel & Spa
7. Le Confidentiel Hôtel & SPA – a cool, polished and recently renovated boutique spa hotel with a funky upscale design located in Saint Raphaël
Exposed stone and bright textiles feature in this friendly boutique hotel and spa, which is perfect for golfers as it sits at the foot of one of the oldest golf courses in France!
In the heights of the small port city of Saint Raphael guests can enjoy all the benefits of ‘the healing valley’. Set in an exclusive residential area the hotel prides itself on not looking like a hotel, instead it cultivates a feeling of homeliness and a calm and peaceful atmosphere.
Set in its own park the hotel is shaded by beautiful pine trees and has wonderful spa facilities including a pool for guests to enjoy. It is close to the beaches and the old town and port but far enough away to be out of the fray.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Confidentiel Hôtel & SPA
8. Le Petit Palais D’Aglae – a beautiful, upmarket and unique boutique hotel that features eclectic Italian Renaissance-influenced rooms and an organic restaurant
A quirky, classy hotel in the fabulous and famous town of Gordes in the Luberon region of Provence. Le Petit Palais is lovingly run in the most organic, eco-friendly way possible by the owner.
It has an amazing vegetable garden from which most of the seasonal menus are created, as well as an orchard and olive groves where it presses its own oil.
The stunning pool looks out over the valley and guests are invited to try a range of spa treatments in the hotel’s zen treatment rooms.
The hotel can suit various budgets too, with options ranging from room only through half board, full board and spa… effectively giving guests the chance to experience it as comfortable countryside accommodation or a fully immersive wellness retreat. Beautiful hotel in a beautiful part of the region, well worth a visit!
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Petit Palais D’Aglae
9. La Villa Mauresque – a cool and trendy seafront family-friendly hotel housed in a 19th-century building with beautiful gardens
Built in the 1880’s as a private residence and later converted, La Villa Mauresque is an architectural gem of Moorish domes and arches between San Tropez and Cannes.
Its unrivaled location looking out over the red rocks of the Esterel keep this hotel in high demand! It offers decadent beachside luxury and whitewashed tranquility to the select few.
As a guest you can enjoy gourmet food in the restaurant “Le Bougainvillier”, sit out on the terrace and enjoy awe-inspiring views whilst nibbling on fresh fish caught that very morning, if you feel the chill you can take it inside and gaze out the large windows.
Relax in the large airy rooms with your own marble bathroom suite, unwind in one of the glistening pools or kick back with a glass of Champagne in the jacuzzi.
This is not a budget option but it’s perfect for a special treat, you’ll feel like a movie star and come back glowing.
- To book, check prices or availability for La Villa Mauresque
10. Hôtel 1770 & Spa – a stunning travel sustainable property that is close to major attractions such as Papal Palace and Pont d’Avignon
The clue is in the name! Hotel 1770 is an exclusive luxury hotel set in a historic 18th Century villa near the centre of Avignon.
The rooms are all about contemporary comfort whilst maintaining the historic integrity of the building, guests can enjoy dining in the on-site restaurant and taking a swim in the peaceful infinity pool after a day sightseeing around the region and the amazing city of Avignon… one of my all time favourite cities!
Don’t miss the Tartins in Place Des Innocents, the spectacular Palais du Pape and if you’re lucky enough to go in July you can catch some amazing theatre at the international theatre festival. A fantastic gateway to Provence.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hôtel 1770 & Spa
11. Grand Hotel Des Sablettes Plage, Curio Collection By Hilton – a historic upscale 19th-century resort that overlooks the beautiful Mont Faron mountain and the stunning Sablettes Beach
The Grand Hotel Des Sablettes is fairly perfect for an escape to the seaside. The whitewashed building dates back to the late 1800’s and is decorated in homage to the ocean that it looks out upon.
Nautical themed objects are complemented by comfortable vintage textiles and natural materials which combine to create cosy places to relax and enjoy the sea views and the fresh coastal air.
There are both indoor and outdoor pools for guests to take a dip or if you prefer just cross the street and wade into the shimmering ocean.
Sea-view rooms have balconies looking straight out onto the Mediterranean and guests without the view can still make the most of it out on the peaceful sun terrace before eating in one of the three restaurants on site.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel Des Sablettes Plage, Curio Collection By Hilton
12. Domaine la Pierre Blanche – a peaceful and attractive boutique hotel embraced by a lush garden with mature olive trees
This Joyful place in Egalieres, close to Arles, is more than a hotel. It is a luxury retreat against a backdrop of olive groves and vineyards which offers guests bespoke Provençal experiences both on and off-site.
Visitors can enjoy the splendid outdoor pool, the tidy little spa or the delicious cuisine served out on the terrace of L’Azure Bistro. Perhaps followed by a cocktail at L’Ambar Lounge to take in the resplendent views of the sunset.
The rooms are nature inspired and cosy with a private terrace and access to the pool. The perfect combination of Romance and R&R, spoil yourself!
- To book, check prices or availability for Domaine la Pierre Blanche
13. Le Jas de Joucas Hôtel-Restaurant – a tranquil and one-of-a-kind villa-style hotel that is surrounded by a forested hillside, ideal for nature aficionados
Unwind and recharge in this beautiful rustic hotel close to the gates of Gordes. Natural tones and textures preside in this peaceful little haven high on a hill overlooking the valley of The Luberon.
The boutique hotel has a choice of rooms and apartments, all furnished in pared-back comfort to encourage the mind to breathe, relaxation is further encouraged by the infinity pool, where you can lounge back on the decking and gaze over the beautiful landscape.
The hotel restaurant serves bistronomic and gastronomic local delicacies lovingly prepared and reimagined by the talented team.
Nearby are some of the most renowned sights of the region; The impressive historic village of Gordes, seemingly cut into the face of a rocky gorge, the red cliffs of Roussillon, the antiques of Le Isle sur La Sorgue and the stunning lavender fields around the ancient Abbaye Senanque. The perfect place to immerse yourself in the Provençal spirit!
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Jas de Joucas Hôtel-Restaurant
14. Villa Castellane – an informal and casual holiday home that features amazing facilities including a cool seasonal outdoor swimming pool
This is a modern riverfront hotel situated between The Luberon and The Verdon Gorge. It’s a sort of sleek modern twist on a 1970’s motel, with lots of sunset shades and a massive outdoor pool surrounded by sun loungers, perfect for sipping an ostentatious Pina Colada!
Large crisp rooms surround the central courtyard and pool, with french windows giving you direct access to the amenities.
The hotel has a great restaurant too, serving up gourmet Provençal food and wine out on the terrace. It’s also a good choice for those travelling on a stricter budget as rooms start as low as €76 a night, but no comfort is spared!
- To book, check prices or availability for Villa Castellane
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Nice
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Cannes
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in St Tropez
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Marseille
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Lyon
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Paris
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Bordeaux
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Montpellier
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Annecy
Beth was born under a wandering star, with drama in her veins and ink in her pen. After stints studying theatre in Dublin and Utrecht she used her creative streak to see as much of the world as she could on as little money. She toured Italian Schools with a children’s theatre troop, lived as an au-pair in both Rome and Washington DC, explored the British countryside, worked her way through much of Europe, Salsa danced in Cuba and road tripped down America’s west coast where she discovered her spiritual home; Portland, Oregon. In between adventures she resides peacefully with her family, cats and ukulele.