Known as the adventure capital of the world, Queenstown is almost guaranteed to offer an experience of a lifetime. As well as jaw-dropping natural scenery, bungee jumping, jet-boating, skydiving, white-water rafting, ziplining, mountain biking and even zorbing are the adrenaline-fuelled pastimes on offer while the winter is a time for snow lovers.
Combined with a cosmopolitan dining and arts scene and an eclectic range of bars, Queensland’s unrivalled energy brings millions of tourists to its unique hotels all year round.
From stunning, cabin-like boutiques on the shores of the beautiful Lake Wakatipu, to hip modern hotels overlooking the majestic ‘Remarkables’ mountain range, Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Queenstown, New Zealand (in no particular order)…
1. QT Queenstown – a cool, hip and funky hotel with a quirky bar perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
QT Queenstown boasts an arty, modern aesthetic, which reverberates through the matte black fireplace suspended from the lobby ceiling, and the timber floor in the reception.
The natural alpine light radiates through the beautiful floor-to-ceiling windows, and the modern Scandinavian furniture adds a warm tone to the hotel.
The modern rooms and suites are all decorated in mid-greys and whites, and are embellished with sheepskin throws and leather bedside tables.
Bathrooms are a unique fusion of marbled grey floors and subway wall tiles, emanating the hotel’s glamour. The hotel’s lively Bazaar Marketplace is an upmarket buffet, which boasts spectacular lake views and serves delicious, gourmet fare.
- To book, check prices or availability for QT Queenstown
2. Kamana Lakehouse – an elegant, trendy boutique hotel offering breathtaking views over Lake Wakatipu and the iconic Remarkables mountain range
This high-altitude lodge is the perfect spot to indulge in iconic views. A place of elegant comfort, Kamana Lakehouse is a peaceful reprieve, and the perfect paradise to return to after a day out skiing.
Here, bike rides, beautiful walks, and magnificent fireworks combine to form a unique, fun-filled experience. Situated in the adventure capital of the world, the boutique guestrooms offer sweeping views of the lake and the Remarkables mountain range.
A first-rate concierge service, ski storage, and graceful wedding services are a few of the services on offer here, but really, a stay at the Kamana is about capturing the true essence of Queenstown and bridging the gap between exploration and relaxation.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kamana Lakehouse
3. The Central Private Hotel by Naumi Hotels – a trendy, funky Instagrammable design hotel located in the heart of Queenstown, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
A place where cool luxury collides with childlike wonder, this hip, boutique pad boasts designer interiors and an expressive array of eccentric, art-filled rooms clad in jewel-like blues, greens, and pinks.
A lounge bar serving a daily free-flow drinks hour by the fire, and the delicious breakfasts on offer, make this elegant hotel an optimum location for couples, friends, and families alike.
Backdropped by the majestic Southern Alps, the surrounding area tends to evoke a ‘pinch me’ sense of disbelief, with a little bit of everything for everyone. A friendly team offering excellent insider knowledge is just the icing on the cake.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Central Private Hotel by Naumi Hotels
4. Ora Retreat – a rustic, urban and vibrant accommodation ideal for a rejuvenating and relaxing getaway
Astonishing retreats, bespoke accommodation, and community events come together in the spectacular mountain destination of Ora Retreat.
Hidden in the trees, there is so much to explore in the nearby area, and the charming staff presence provides a homely atmosphere in this little alpine paradise.
All of the programmes at Ora Retreat focus on being connected, and the yoga sessions in ambient-lit rooms, and beautiful gatherings by the fire at night evoke this vision.
Acclaimed as the ultimate lodge experience, a sense of nourishment is guaranteed. The cabin rooms are minimalist in style, yet are adorned with bespoke wooden furnishings to radiate the surrounding alpine vibe.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ora Retreat
5. Hulbert House Luxury Boutique Lodge Queenstown – one of the most beautiful accommodations in Queenstown where guests can enjoy an upscale, unique and Instagrammable stay
Imbued with a sense of serenity, this lovingly restored Victorian era villa offers a luxury experience suitable for the discerning traveller, and is a true slice of paradise.
The 6 suites boast unique décor, with quality Hungarian goose down bedding and Egyptian cotton bathrobes to add a spot of lavishness.
Guests can enjoy a morning coffee with freshly roasted coffee beans from a commercial grade coffee grinder in the comfort of their own private sanctuary.
Stunning views of Lake Wakatipu and the Skyline Hill feature in all bedrooms, while a 7-minute walk will take you to the vibrant centre of Queenstown.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hulbert House Luxury Boutique Lodge Queenstown
6. The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments – a 5-star, stylish and chic accommodation with a lakeside location featuring a private beach
Located on the shores of Lake Wakatipu, this classy five-star boutique property showcases spectacular alpine views and boasts a contemporary blend of chic and splendour.
Offering a variety of opulent accommodation options ranging from hotel rooms to apartments as well as 3-bedroom lakeside residences, the floor-to-ceilings allow plenty of light in to bathe in the beauty of the surrounding area.
A mixture of comfy sofas and modern, wooden furnishings emanate the charm and sophistication of a 5-star hotel, but in the peaceful sanctuary of a lakeside haven.
Guests can enjoy in-room massage services which include invigorating body and facial treatments, and hire mountain bikes to enjoy the natural glory of Queenstown.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Rees Hotel & Luxury Apartments
7. Azur Lodge – a contemporary, chic and stylish accommodation perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Cascading down the hillside towards Lake Wakatipu are nine beautiful, detached villas evoking tremendous style and character. Azur Lodge features two communal lounges where tea and canapés are whipped up in a luxurious setting.
The modern interiors are centred around three epic fireplaces, which provide a serene ambiance during the winter months. Honey-coloured food features across the ceilings of the villas frame the natural beauty which enters through the windows.
L-shaped sofas provide a graceful spot to observe the breathtaking landscape from the comfort of your room. A continental buffet is served in the reception lodge, however room service is also an option for those who prefer to eat in their own peaceful sanctuary.
- To book, check prices or availability for Azur Lodge
8. The Dairy Private Hotel by Naumi Hotels – a themed, quirky and charming accommodation with a backdrop of the picturesque landscape
The Dairy Private Hotel is a former 1920s corner store named ‘dairy’, which has been reimagined as a deluxe abode to set the tone for a memorable Queenstown break.
An ultra-luxe blend of rustic charm and Alpine chic, the lashings of intricate wallpapers adorning this edgy, eccentric hotel evoke an air of laidback glamour.
The quirky, uniquely styled rooms are all embellished with eclectic heirloom-style furniture pieces, lavish linens, and botanical-themed wall art, designed by British interiors brand ‘House of Hackney’. The hotel’s outdoor jacuzzi is the perfect spot to soak up the uninterrupted backdrop of the Remarkables.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Dairy Private Hotel by Naumi Hotels
9. Lanah Residence – a unique, rustic-chic and upscale accommodation in close proximity to popular attractions and fantastic dining options
This exclusive residence is totally girdled by awe-inspiring mountain views from every angle. Quietly tucked away in a sunny position on the lake’s edge, the Lanah Residence boasts the perfect backdrop to a peaceful Queenstown retreat.
Full of character, the property’s unique styling has been lovingly curated with artifacts, trinkets, and treasures from all over the globe.
The Lanah Residence offers 3 studio apartment style suites, which all boast a soaking tub and a kitchenette, while the communal dining space in the heart of the property is the optimum spot for an afternoon tea.
A graceful, outdoor jacuzzi features on the third floor, providing a tranquil haven to soak up the mind-blowing views.
- To book, check prices or availability for Lanah Residence
10. Koura Apartments Central Queenstown – a new, contemporary and cool accommodation perfect for a family or group vacation
Located in the heart of Queenstown, Koura Apartments are the newest tourist accommodations in the city, with expertly designed deluxe apartments which can be rented by the unit or the entire complex.
Ensuites feature in every room, as well as a spacious living area, a fully functional kitchen, a balcony, and trendsetting amenities such as a TV with Netflix.
As the apartments are side by side, 36 people can be accommodated for a large family gathering or significant occasions such as weddings. A 5-minute walk will take you to the beating heart of the city, owing to the hotel’s prime location.
- To book, check prices or availability for Koura Apartments Central Queenstown
11. mi-pad Queenstown – an award-winning accommodation that provides guests with a modern, eco-friendly and tech savvy stay
Smart sophistication is an ever-present factor of this award-winning hotel located on the shores of the world-renowned Lake Wakatipu.
Mi-pad is a high-tech solution to a convenient hospitality experience, boasting an innovative, personalized system coordinated through an exclusive app which allows you to take control of everything.
From the room lighting, ordering food from local restaurants, and even checking the conditions at local hiking spots, this hotel lets you customize every aspect of your stay.
What’s more, the bright, airy rooms are thoughtfully appointed with the modern traveller in mind. The state-of-the-art soundproofing, and the blackout window coverings make for a blissful night’s sleep.
- To book, check prices or availability for mi-pad Queenstown
12. Stay of Queenstown – a tranquil, modern and bright boutique accommodation within walking distance of the town centre and beaches of Lake Wakatipu
Situated within strolling distance of Queenstown’s historic centre, this boutique accommodation is comprised of 8 high-end, sophisticated private suites in a garden setting.
The great outdoors is blended perfectly with a sense of relaxation, capturing the quintessential essence of Queenstown.
Meticulously designed with a keen eye on comfort, each bedroom suite is decked out with a luxurious Bellagio bed and first-rate linen, as well as a Nespresso machine, a private living area with Wi-Fi, and kitchen facilities.
STAY embodies a cosy and warm atmosphere in the winter with its communal fireplaces, and in the summer, its lavish outdoor areas are the perfect spot to indulge in the region’s bounty of wines and cheeses.
- To book, check prices or availability for Stay of Queenstown
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Wellington
- Cool boutique hotels in Auckland
- Cool boutique hotels in Melbourne
- Cool boutique hotels in Sydney
- Cool boutique hotels on The Gold Coast
- Cool boutique hotels in Byron Bay
- Cool boutique hotels in Brisbane
- Cool boutique hotels in Perth
- Cool and Unusual hotel in Adelaide
- Cool boutique hotels in Bangkok
- Cool boutique hotels in Singapore
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Kyoto
Ever since he was knee-high to a grasshopper Michael has always been a sucker for an adventure. Growing up he was lucky enough to live in a handful of exotic far flung locations including Hong Kong, Pakistan, Kenya and Tanzania and since then he’s continued his taste for seeking out new cultures. So much in fact he now travels the world as a trading digital nomad, exploring everything from the sizzling street markets in Bangkok to random back alleys in Sri Lanka and everything in between! He also has a special fondness for Cohibas, street food, playing carrom, and fine wine and knows his clarets from his chiantis. He counts Cuba, Amsterdam, Indonesia, Cambodia and Italy as his favourite destinations.