A Bavarian city with World Heritage status, Regensburg is brimming with Roman, Romanesque, and Gothic architectural structures built between the 11th and 13th centuries.
Regensburg’s Medieval towers, patrician houses, and its many churches and monasteries draw visitors into a vibrant cityscape, which has been graced by an up-and-coming scene of quirky cafés and artisan eateries. Regensburg is also one of Europe’s first choice river cruise destinations, owing to its prime location on the Danube.
The architecture of the city’s hotels spans two millennia and houses many urban boutiques and Medieval-style homes. Here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Regensburg, Germany (in no particular order)…
1. Ibis Styles Regensburg – a trendy, Instagrammable and contemporary hotel overlooking the river Danube
As per the motto ‘Glanz & Gloria’, Ibis Styles is adorned with an original colour scheme and contemporary manor elegance, lending an ultra-modern glow to the hotel.
Located right on the Danube and just a short walk from the old town, the city’s many gems can be explored with ultimate ease. Furnishings in the style of a modern castle add a historic touch, while nature is brought in through various potted plants sprinkled across the lobby.
A quaint tone suffuses both the indoor and outdoor eating areas, where business travellers and city breakers can kick back and soak up a boutique charm.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ibis Styles Regensburg
2. Hotel Bischofshof am Dom – a vibrant, unique and historic hotel perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Lying between St. Peter’s Cathedral and the former Roman camp Castra Regina, Bischofshof am Dom is the jewel of Regensburg’s hotel industry, and its surrounds have even attracted emperors and kings in the past.
The 87 guestrooms and suites combine Bavarian flair with epic old town views, and enhance the state of comfort through sleek, modern fixings and plush linens.
The on-site restaurant and beer garden offer not only Bavarian classics but also creative international dishes, infiltrated by a profound vision towards freshness, regionality, and sustainability.
Special accents, historical insights, and resplendent views make this accommodation a perfect choice for sightseers and cultural enthusiasts.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Bischofshof am Dom
3. Hotel Weidenhof – a traditional, newly renovated and charming hotel designed to feel like a home-away-from-home
A sky-blue façade invites you into a blissful hospitality experience at Hotel Weidenhof, one of Regensburg’s most exclusive havens.
A charming roof terrace offers a peaceful moment of downtime with uninterrupted sun rays and views of the city’s medieval architecture, making for a relaxing late-afternoon hangout. Guests can enjoy 24-hour front desk access, and a bespoke service catered to your individual needs.
A lavish environment permeates breakfast time, where you can sit and savour an internationally inspired buffet in a bright, boutique eatery. Vivid blues decorate the staircase and communal areas, where the hotel’s opulent tone is reflected effortlessly.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Weidenhof
4. SORAT Insel-Hotel Regensburg – an elegant, quiet and 1930’s-style hotel located on a small island along the river Danube
This remarkable city oasis awaits you on a small island directly on the Danube. Its postcard view over the river to the Stone Bridge, cathedral and old town is a sight to behold.
Housed in a listed building which was once a handicraft factory, the interior is reminiscent of Art Deco and the time of large passenger steamers during the 1930s.
As a guest at The SORAT Insel-Hotel not only are you nestled on a quiet island, but you are also very central and can take advantage of all of the city’s eclectic offerings.
The guestrooms are individually designed with a timeless style, incorporating modern materials and a mix of warm, vivid colours.
- To book, check prices or availability for SORAT Insel-Hotel Regensburg
5. Hotel Orphée – Großes Haus – an upscale, beautiful and traditional hotel where guests can experience the taste of French cuisine and specialities
One of three houses of Hotel Orphée, Großes Haus features an adjoining restaurant in the beating heart of Regensburg’s cobbled streets.
This baroque palace boasts 33 rooms, all beautified with elegant furnishings and traditional elements. The house is comprised of antique floorboards, baroque door frames, and beautiful stucco ceilings, giving the guestrooms a large, open feel.
Chandeliers, old trunks, and four-poster beds enhance a lavish tone in the standard rooms, while the attic rooms provide breathtaking views over the towers of the city.
The restaurant is the most original French bistro east of the Rhine, and is dotted by red velvet armchairs and marble tables, and serves Mediterranean cuisine in an ‘all-time classic’ ambiance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Orphée – Großes Haus
6. Arthotel ANA Aurel – a stylish, new and creative accommodation in a location perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Paying homage to the city’s founder, philosopher and Roman emperor Marc Aurel, Arthotel is set in a traditional building, and harmonizes this with a modern interior.
The 96 rooms set new trends in the Regensburg Hotel landscape, with tasteful colour compositions from soft turquoise to pastel brown and a pleasant feeling of calmness and serenity.
Stunning bathrooms with underfloor heating and grey-brown mosaic tones complete the lavish interior of each residential unit.
The graceful lobby area reflects the hotel’s distinctive flair, and is embellished with many loving design features, offering a beautiful spot to drink coffee and make new friends.
- To book, check prices or availability for Arthotel ANA Aurel
7. the niu Sparrow – a modern, hipster and pet-friendly accommodation offering guests a continental and buffet breakfast option each morning
Here we have a local hot spot for city strollers and business people, which conveniently puts you at an arm’s reach of the cathedral and the city centre.
The Niu Sparrow has chosen artistry as the central design element, with each one of its homes representing a distinctive story inspired by the surrounding neighbourhood.
The medieval decoration flags and baroque wallpaper invite you to enjoy a wonderful reflection of Regensburg’s history, against an Instagrammable backdrop of the pluralistic downtown architecture.
Rustic elements, antique décor and modern touches fuse together to form a real, one-of-a-kind experience at The Niu Sparrow.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Niu Sparrow
8. Hotel Das Regensburg – a new, hip and cool boutique accommodation where guests can hire bikes to explore around the city on
Inspiring design, natural materials, and a vision of well-being is embodied effortlessly in Hotel Das, a graceful boutique located in the middle of the lively old town.
The inner courtyard boasts a flower meadow, bringing an essence of nature into the building. The inviting roof garden is a serene respite spot in the middle of the bustling city centre, and is a space where you can enjoy views over the medieval roofscape to the cathedral.
Bavaria ergonomic box-spring beds, modern bathrooms, and natural wood furniture evoke luxury in the guestrooms, enhanced by high-quality tiles made from Franconian Alp limestone.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Das Regensburg
9. Green Spirit – an industrial-chic, contemporary and quirky accommodation in close proximity to local popular attractions
This listed 18th-century property and its adjoining new building welcome guests to the edge of the historic old town, and encloses an almost 800 m² inner courtyard oasis.
Graced by permanently exhibited works of art in which many regional artists showcase their creativity, Green Spirit is a quirky retreat geared to the discerning traveller.
You can head to the terrace to drink a cappuccino in the shade of the old chestnut, or sunbathe in a lounger between berry bushes and fruit trees.
The hotel attaches great importance to quality and the environment, and has thus incorporated purely fresh, regional products to its dining offerings.
- To book, check prices or availability for Green Spirit
10. Bohemian Hotel – a unique, themed and charming accommodation located in the heart of the Old Town
Capturing the special character of Regensburg, Bohemian Hotel is a great place to discover the city’s eclectic corners, and leave everyday life behind.
The colourful hustle and bustle of the city is right on your doorstep, as is the Danube, the Stone Bridge, the Cathedral, and the Old Town Hall.
There are just 17 rooms for guests, and all are individually furnished and dedicated to a chapter in the city’s illustrious history.
The hotel bar Chin-Chin invites you to indulge in special moments, and serves everything from delicious breakfasts to luxury cuisine in the evening. Here, the finest spirits are served in a relaxing ambiance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bohemian Hotel
11. Hotel am Peterstor – a bright, modern and newly renovated accommodation surrounded by an array of restaurants and sightseeing points
Directly located in the historical centre of Regensburg, linked to the pedestrian zone by a series of winding cobblestone streets, Hotel am Peterstor offers a graceful boutique ambiance at a competitive price point.
The hotel’s rich breakfast buffet is the perfect fuel for a day of exploration, while afternoon teas and artisan bakes are served throughout the day.
The guestrooms are embellished with quirky wall art resembling the layout of the world-heritage city, and promote a blissful night’s sleep through soft, natural hues and lavish features. The hotel’s periphery also offers seating, where an open-air atmosphere can be relished on a quaint side street.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel am Peterstor
12. Hotel Platin – a quirky, hip and design accommodation that is an ideal stay for business travellers
This design-led hotel is an ideal hub for business travellers, owing in part to its great transport connections. The in-room experience is both luxury and functional, with plus king-size beds and comfort mattresses inviting you to sleep on cloud nine, complemented by eccentric colours and quirky décor.
The bathrooms are sleek and elegant, and boast slate-like, walk-in showers. The corridors are dotted with vibrant wall trappings, and this funky design is matched by supreme quality and convenience.
The charming staff presence is always on hand to help draft up the perfect urban itinerary, with unique recommendations influenced by the hip characters of the surrounding area.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Platin
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Munich
- Cool boutique hotels in Berlin
- Cool boutique hotels in Vienna
- Cool boutique hotels in Colonge
- Cool boutique hotels in Prague
- Cool boutique hotels in Zurich
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Hamburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Frankfurt
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Dresden
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.