Known for its unique modern architecture, cutting-edge urban design, picturesque waterways, vibrant nightlife and cafe culture, excellent museums, trendy boutique shops, its large port and its hip, edgy vibe, Netherlands’ second city makes a great alternative city break when you’ve visited Amsterdam a bit too many times!
Its large collection of hotels are equally as extraordinary and will really enhance your trip. From quirky boutiques to sleek, modern and sexy here the best cool and unusual hotels in Rotterdam, Netherlands (in no particular order)…
1. Room Mate Bruno – a vibrant and Instagrammable design boutique hotel located in the heart of Rotterdam, perfect for partying Millennials and Gen Zs
Room Mate Bruno, tucked in the heart of Rotterdam’s trendy Feijenoord neighborhood, offers a splendid location overlooking the River Maas and popular city attractions.
This fun boutique hotel – which is one of the best party hotels in Rotterdam – was erected in a building that housed a former tea warehouse maintained by the Dutch East India Company, lending the hotel the historic charm of a heritage site.
Guests can choose between 217 single, standard, and family-friendly rooms depicting Dutch colonial endeavors and naval flights with spectacularly themed interiors.
The hotel features an eclectic breakfast spot, a trendy lounging bar, a sprawling business center, a 400-square-meter multifunctional event space, and multiple meeting rooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Room Mate Bruno
2. CitizenM Rotterdam – a new, stylish, quirky and contemporary hotel located perfectly to experience the best of the city, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Staying at the CitizenM Rotterdam is a cool and unique experience, especially for travelers looking to control their commuting costs and enjoy the best of Rotterdam’s popular attractions.
Tucked in the heart of the Stadsdriehoek quarters, CitizenM offers proximity to the Cube Houses, Erasmus Bridge, Markthal, and the Old Harbor.
The hotel offers a wide range of same-sized 2-person bedrooms, equipped with air conditioning, king-sized beds, fluffy pillows, widescreen TVs, and funky mood lights.
The hotel’s onsite CanteenM offers an extensive menu of food and beverages, open 24/7 to cater to guests with speedy room service. The guest rooms offer a distinct home-away-from-home experience, allowing guests to personalize everything to their taste and comfort.
- To book, check prices or availability for CitizenM Rotterdam
3. The Student Hotel Rotterdam – a stylish, hip and vibrant hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs who are travelling for business and looking to explore the city
The ultimate address to live, work and play while enjoying the finest pleasures of Rotterdam, the Student Hotel combines luxury with affordability and a lively, sociable community. Famous for its student accommodation, TSH offers all-inclusive, student-friendly rooms and shared spaces that combine value and comfort.
The sprawling hotel rooms are stylish and equipped with modern amenities suitable for business and private travelers. Digital nomads planning an extended trip to Rotterdam will find TSH most suitable for their budget and comfort preferences.
The hotel’s onsite co-working space makes it popular among business travelers and freelancers. TSH also features an in-house restaurant, The Commons, and multiple spaces for hosting meetings and events.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Student Hotel Rotterdam
4. Nhow Rotterdam – a trendy, sleek and Insta-worthy party hotel featuring a rooftop bar overlooking the river Maas and city skyline
Situated in Rotterdam’s most prestigious address, the Manhattan on the River Maas, the nhow hotel attracts luxury travelers with its spectacular waterfront location and modern amenities.
Guests can choose comfortable two-person and family-friendly rooms or book the sprawling suites decked with lavish amenities and sweeping views of the riverfront and the Rotterdam skyline. Nhow even offers a pet-friendly suite with an indulgent comfy bed for your furry friend.
Guests can enjoy local and international cuisine at the hotel’s onsite restaurant or grab flavorful cocktails at the trendy nhow Bar. Business travelers can explore 11 meeting rooms to organize corporate events and conferences while all guests enjoy free access to the hotel’s state-of-the-art gym.
- To book, check prices or availability for Nhow Rotterdam
5. H2OTEL Rotterdam – one of the most unique hotels in Rotterdam where guests can experience a creative, fun and cool stay
A one-of-its-kind floating hotel nestled in the quaint and peaceful quarters of Wijnhaven, H2OTEL is an endlessly charming experience. Guests can choose from 48 delightful rooms, depending on the size of their party, square footage needs, and comfort requirements.
Families will find the family-friend guest rooms more than adequate for a lavish stay, while the Terrace Double Room is ideal for travelers who like waking up to a magnificent sunrise.
Guests staying at H2OTEL adore the onsite Harburger – a much-loved spot for contemporary and traditional cuisine.
Floating on the water, this unusual accommodation offers proximity to some of the city’s best attractions, including the Old Harbor and MArkthal.
- To book, check prices or availability for H2OTEL Rotterdam
6. Hotel Not Hotel Rotterdam – a creative, quirky and art hotel where each room’s interior has been individually designed by a variety of artists
Hotel Not Hotel stays true to its name and spirit, offering an exceptional experience in a venue that doesn’t remotely resemble a standard hotel. Instead of a boring and stuffy lobby, it offers an artsy and creative, exhibition gallery-like space that invites travelers with its modern blend of maximalist interiors.
The premises are like a massive lounging area with delightful seating arrangements between the private cottages and the vibrantly decorated suites. The vividly bright color schemes, themed artwork, and lavishly comfortable amenities make this hotel apt for an unforgettable experience.
Guests strongly recommend the Eclectic Madness Landscape suites and the Secret Bookcase rooms for their quirky interiors and matchless amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Not Hotel Rotterdam
7. The Slaak Rotterdam, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel – a trendy, Instagrammable and quirky boutique hotel housed in a former newspaper pressroom
Tucked in the heart of the city’s most popular quarters, the Slaak Rotterdam is a boutique hotel that combines comfortable accommodation with a thriving social scene.
Drenched in the vintage charm and retro energy of the 50s, the Slaak offers an authentic Rotterdam experience with a multitude of onsite amenities.
Guests can choose from 74 opulent, expansive, and elegantly designed rooms equipped with air conditioning, king-sized beds, Nespresso machines, and lounging furniture.
The hotel’s onsite Restaurant & Bar Didot 34 offers a delightful farm-to-table dining experience, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Guests also enjoy free access to Studio34, the hotel’s in-house fitness studio.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Slaak Rotterdam, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel
8. Inntel Hotels Rotterdam Center – an upscale, hip and design hotel with a central location for guests to explore the city
Boasting a splendid location on the banks of the picturesque River Maas and the foothills of the Erasmus Bridge, Inntel Hotels offers a delightful setting for a romantic getaway or family vacation.
The hotel attracts business and private travelers with its top-notch amenities, lavish interiors, and refined setting.
This 4-star hotel offers a wide range of rooms and suites, named after the magnificent views they offer of the city skyline, panoramic riverside views, and floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the Erasmus Bridge.
Travelers staying at the Inntel Hotel find themselves positioned in the heart of all the fun and action, with a multitude of tourist attractions, boutiques, restaurants, and clubs within walking distance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Inntel Hotels Rotterdam Center
9. Hotel Bazar – a themed, unique and quirky hotel perfect for fun and design-loving Millenials and Gen Zs and featuring one of Rotterdam’s most famous restaurants
A space designed for relaxation and rejuvenation, Hotel Bazar offers a romantic setting and a spa-like vibe with its sumptuously decorated spaces and rooms. Ideally positioned in the heart of the city, the hotel is located near the city’s best restaurants, tourist attractions, and nightlife.
The rooms and suites are designed in accordance with the hotel’s relaxing ambiance, decked with plush bedding, king-sized beds, air conditioning, and a well-stocked mini bar. Guests will find themselves overjoyed by the hotel’s free breakfast spread and family-friendly amenities.
The onsite eatery, the Restaurant Bazar, is one of the city’s most famous dining venues, popular for its ambient Oriental interiors and flavorful cuisines.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Bazar
10. Supernova Hotel – a trendy, new boutique hotel offering guests a buffet or vegetarian breakfast and complimentary bikes
Located conveniently in the heart of the city center, the Supernova is drenched in the traditional Rotterdam spirit with a quirky modern energy.
This boutique hotel allows guests to choose from 38 rooms, offering a wide range of spaces to address the square footage and bedding requirements of vacationers and large groups.
The standard rooms and suites come with private balconies, comfortable lounging areas, and modern amenities, while the opulent Urban Oasis is the hotel’s hidden gem, ideal for stargazing with direct access to the whimsical garden. Guests can’t stop raving about the hotel’s delightful Library Lounge, and the onsite Superette is famous for its local and international delicacies.
- To book, check prices or availability for Supernova Hotel
11. Le Marin Boutique Hotel – a sleek, elegant and unique hotel that is an ideal stay for those ready to adventure in the city
The perfect centrally-located home base for epic adventures in Rotterdam, Le Marin is a charming abode tucked in the historic quarters of Henegouwerplein. This location is splendid for travelers looking to explore popular attractions and hidden gems in the unfiltered western side of the city.
This elegant hotel offers two distinct locations, the sprawling Le Marin Boutique Hotel and the more intimate Le Petit Marin. Guests can explore Comfort, Deluxe, and Standard rooms in both locations, and there aren’t many noticeable differences in terms of amenities and splendid views.
Travelers can enjoy soaking up the sun on the terrace of Le Marin’s eclectic Bar Bato, famous for its scrumptious pizzas, chilled beer, and colorful charcuterie boards.
- To book, check prices or availability for Le Marin Boutique Hotel
12. Postillion Hotel WTC Rotterdam – a modern, charming and cool hotel housed in a building full of colorful history and architecture
The Postillion Hotel is one of the most charming accommodations for a lavish vacation in Rotterdam, offering sprawling views of the city’s streets and glitzy skyscape from its floor-to-ceiling windows.
Home to 168 opulently decorated and comfortable guest rooms, the Postillion is popular among business travelers, European jet-setters, and comfort seekers.
The hotel allows guests to choose between elegantly decorated rooms or enjoy the privacy of a chic loft equipped with state-of-the-art modern amenities. The hotel is nestled in a section of the sprawling Convention Center, making it ideal for corporate travelers with a busy schedule of meetings and conferences.
- To book, check prices or availability for Postillion Hotel WTC Rotterdam
13. Savoy Hotel Rotterdam – a quirky, newly renovated and retro hotel within walking distance of the famous Markthal and other popular attractions
Are you looking for a compact sleep station, an affordable 2-person accommodation, a family-friendly guest room, or a lavish suite with a private balcony? The Savoy Hotel has it all, offering 95 beautifully furnished, modern guest rooms with spectacular views of the iconic Markthal.
All guest rooms are equipped with contemporary amenities and tasteful furniture, but the Piet le Blanc Suite is a class apart. Named after Rotterdam’s famous jazz saxophonist, Piet le Blanc, the suite comes with a well-stocked mini bar, widescreen TV, digital surround sound installation, PlayStation Pro, and free wifi. The Savoy Hotel offers an ideal location to explore some of the most popular local hangout spots.
- To book, check prices or availability for Savoy Hotel Rotterdam
14. Mainport Design Hotel – a 5-star, stylish and upscale hotel within walking distance to the city’s most popular attractions
Mainport Design Hotel, a project of the world-famous Design Hotels, offers a contemporary setting with lavish amenities and sprawling views of the river and harbor.
Nestled on the banks of the scenic River Maas, Mainport offers expansive and luxurious suites with picturesque views of the riverfront and the glitzy cityscape.
Guests can’t stop raving about the five-star Harbor Room and the opulent Waterfront Sauna Room, equipped with extraordinary amenities, including flat-screen TVs, a rectangular whirlpool, a private sauna, and air conditioning.
The hotel also features a world-class fitness studio and a state-of-the-art wellness center. The splendid location is ideal for enjoying Rotterdam’s skyline, riverside charm, and popular attractions.
- To book, check prices or availability for Mainport Design Hotel
14. Hotel Unplugged – a chic, bright boutique hotel filled with tech-savvy features and optimising the use of its space
Designed for the time-conscious metropolitan traveler, Hotel Unplugged is a technology-driven, design-focused accommodation famous for its fast, hassle-free check-in policy. Guests staying at the Hotel Unplugged will find everything at their fingertips, using technology to fulfill their needs instead of waiting for bellboys and housekeeping staff.
The hotel offers a wide range of accommodations, categorized as the Standard, the Superior, the Standard Plus, and the Superior Plus. The rooms are designed with a compact approach to space-saving and offering utility over frills and trims.
The hotel amplifies comfort and luxury with extravagant touches, like the king-sized cinema beds, creatively designed bathrooms, and cloud-like plush bedding.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Unplugged
16. The Bellhop – a bright, Scandinavian-style and contemporary hotel located on Rotterdam’s most famous street
One of Rotterdam’s most eclectic hotels, The Bellhop invites cultural explorers and soulful travelers to experience community-style living like never before. Grounded in the principles of community and consciousness, the Bellhop offers an open and inclusive environment to live, work and play in the heart of the city.
Guests can explore a wide variety of rooms, ranging from standard 2-person accommodations to large suites ideal for 4-5 individuals. The rooms offer a smart, upscale design focusing on utility and blending the interiors with an outdoorsy vibe with bamboo accents and earthy textures.
Bellhop’s onsite bar and restaurant are a popular local hangout spot, famous for curating local delicacies with organic, farm-fresh ingredients. Vegans will find the menu utterly delightful.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Bellhop
17. CityHub Rotterdam – an urban, chic and modern hotel with co-living spaces, ideal for those who are tech-savvy
CityHub is an urban accommodation designed for digital nomads, business travelers, and vacationers looking for a private and comfortable setting. This venue masterfully blends the community-living concept of a hostel into the intimacy of a hotel room, offering beautifully decorated private cabins at amazingly affordable rates.
It’s the ultimate spot for travelers to live, work and mingle with like-minded travelers. The private cabins are decked with contemporary comforts and modern amenities, and guests have access to multiple spaces where they can work, lounge around and socialize with people.
Solo travelers will find this accommodation highly rewarding to make new friends and explore the city with insider tips and localized activities.
- To book, check prices or availability for CityHub
18. SS Rotterdam Hotel en Restaurants – a unique, elegant and themed boat accommodation where guests can experience a one-of-a-kind stay
A truly one-of-its-kind hotel, the SS Rotterdam is nestled inside a former Holland-America passenger line, offering lavishly opulent guest rooms overlooking the harbor.
Tucked in the upscale Katendrecht district, SS Rotterdam is not your average hotel; rather, it’s an unforgettable experience of 50s-themed luxury.
The guest rooms are elegantly decorated with tasteful furniture exuding a charming vintage vibe, equipped with modern amenities, including air conditioning, free wifi, and coffee and tea-making equipment.
The SS Hotel is home to the Club Room –one of the city’s best fine dining establishments to feast on traditional Dutch cuisine in a sophisticated setting.
- To book, check prices or availability for SS Rotterdam Hotel en Restaurants
19. ART Hotel Rotterdam – a classic, rustic-chic and vibrant hotel with an unforgettable view of the city skyline and river Maas
One of the most popular boutique hotels for business and private travelers, the ART Hotel is a magnificent masterpiece of contemporary architecture and a fabulous addition to the futuristic cityscape.
Famous for its bright and vibrantly colorful guest rooms, the ART Hotel delights vacationers with its maximalist interiors and flamboyant color schemes.
Grounded in the philosophy of comfort and convenience, the rooms are equipped with multiple amenities, including air conditioning, flat-screen TVs, free wifi, and a fully functional kitchenette.
Vacationers can choose suites with lounging areas to accommodate large groups or entertain local guests. The location is more than ideal, tucked near the Euromast Tower and the Erasmus Bridge.
- To book, check prices or availability for ART Hotel Rotterdam
20. Hotel New York – a historic, art deco and contemporary hotel blending the old romance of travel with boutique hospitality
Nestled on the scenic banks of River Maas, Hotel New York is a trendy establishment erected within the former headquarters of the Holland America Line.
The beautiful location and charming setting brim up the interiors with an old-world nostalgia, while the décor pays tribute to the hopes and aspirations of innumerable immigrants lugging their suitcases and basking under the sun of a new homeland.
One of the city’s most elegant hotels, Hotel New York offers 72 tastefully decorated venues that bring history to life with their unique décor. Guests also have access to 7 sprawling halls, multiple meeting rooms, board rooms, and an onsite café-style restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel New York
We also have posts on…
- Cool and hip hotels in Amsterdam
- Cool and hip hotels in Berlin
- Cool and hip hotels in Copenhagen
- Cool and hip hotels in Paris
- Cool and hip hotels in Munich
- Cool and hip hotels in Brussels
- Cool and hip hotels in Dublin
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bruges
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ghent
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Antwerp
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Ostend
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.