A former gold-rush town, today Sacramento – located at the Sacramento River and American River – Capital is a buzzing and easy-on-the-eye city. It’s known as America’s Farm-to-Fork capital and is filled with awesome food markets, interesting bars, great coffee shops, trendy eateries, and hip breweries. Its hotels are pretty special too. From gorgeous boutiques to larger chains, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Sacramento, California (in no particular order)...
1. The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection – a chic, trendy and elegant downtown hotel
This hip boutique hotel will definitely appeal to the artsy types among us. The bold decor in the boutique rooms at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection is perfectly complemented by a curated collection of political art and wonderful historic furnishings in keeping with the building itself, which was built by George Selland in 1925.
There’s an on-site Michelin rated restaurant offering delicious seasonal, locally sourced menus and the hotel is close to all the action in downtown Sacramento.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
2. Delta King Hotel – for a really unique stay in Sacramento
For a truly unique experience I recommend you stay at The Delta King, but you’ll need to book well in advance as it’s extremely popular. The hotel is a renovated 1927 Paddle Boat moored in the historic waterfront district of the city.
The rooms are the original saterooms that have been refurbished in a cosy style that pays homage to the old days, captains chairs, polished wood desks and brass fittings make you nice,y back in time. The onboard Pilothouse Restaurant occupies the original grand dining room and serves up regional dishes with views of the river. At The Delta Bar & Grill you can enjoy 180-degree views and panoramic sunsets while chomping on frito.
- To book, check prices or availability for Delta King Hotel
3. Kimpton Sawyer Hotel, an IHG Hotel – a modern boutique style hotel with a chic rooftop lounge bar
This central hotel, just metres away from the California Railroad Museum, offers 5 star modern luxury. From the splendid atrium to the spacious chambers it is impeccably thought out. Guests at Kimpton Sawyer Hotel, an IHG Hotel can enjoy an al fresco swim in the year-round outdoor pool and in fact the outdoors is woven into all the interior spaces through beautiful plants and greenery.
Enjoy a local microbrew or craft cocktail in the classy Revival Bar, fresh farm to table steak and sides at Echo & Rig or brunch and billiards at Punchbowl, all in the very heart of the city.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kimpton Sawyer Hotel, an IHG Hotel
4. Tapestry By Hilton The Fort Sutter Hotel – a sleek and very Instagrammable hotel in trendy Midtown neighborhood perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
This bright and airy hotel in midtown, close to historic Sutter’s Fort Park, has everything you need for a comfortable stay. Excellent rooms and suites at Tapestry By Hilton The Fort Sutter Hotel that cater to all needs, including if you’re bringing a furry friend.
Throughout, the hotel has a cool modern aesthetic with big high ceilings and plenty of modern art on the walls, plus two great options for onsite dining. Cafe Bernardo serves ultra-fresh and tasty farm to fork food and Four Palms bar has a fantastic range of Californian wines and craft ales along with its own exclusive menu. A good all rounder which suits both business and leisure travellers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Tapestry By Hilton The Fort Sutter Hotel
5. The Exchange Sacramento, Curio Collection By Hilton – an upscale hotel housed in a historic 1914 building featuring vertical gardens
This luxury hotel has everything you’d expect from a Hilton. Great amenities at The Exchange Sacramento include a large gym suite and free WiFi. The large comfortable rooms are decorated in colour themes and the welcoming lobby is full of texture, colour and well-curated art. The location is perfect, situated in a historic 10 story building with some great views of the city.
The exchange is walking distance from all of Sacramento’s main attractions in particular the Old Sacramento Waterfront District with its Gold Rush-era buildings, and bustling cafes, shops and museums.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Exchange Sacramento
6. The Westin Sacramento – a warm and stylish hotel set on the banks of the Sacramento River
A modern luxury hotel in south Sacramento which offers guests the chance to really relax and pamper themselves. The premier rooms and suites offer clawed tubs and balconies whilst the on-site spa offers a range of treatments.
Guests at The Westin Sacramento can work out in the fitness suite and enjoy a soak in the heated pool before exploring all the nearby sites and attractions. Scott’s Seafood Restaurant, the hotel’s onsite dining, is frequently awarded best seafood in the city and comes with stunning riverfront views and impeccable service.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Westin Sacramento
7. Hyatt Centric Sacramento Downtown – pays tribute to the property’s storied past but with plenty of modern design elements
This is a cool hotel in the centre of the city, it’s modern on the outside but inside there’s a real splash of mid-century modern vintage flair. The rooms at Hyatt Centric Sacramento Downtown are big and comfy, many have wonderful views over the city.
There are two great options for onsite dining; a unique and innovative west coast inspired menu at 7th Street Standard, or live jazz, small plates and cocktails with a view on the rooftop terrace of The Clayton Club. Sacramento is a wonderfully walkable city and at this hotel, you are within a stone’s throw of all the unique neighbourhoods and attractions so it’s a great place to take a city break and really make the most of it!
- To book, check prices or availability for Hyatt Centric Sacramento Downtown
8. Inn at Parkside – a stately 1936 upscale B&B with great design details
If you are hankering for a romantic getaway this might just be the Place for you! Independently run the Inn at Parkside is set in an old Spanish style villa amongst its own grounds. Rooms are lavishly furnished with impeccably curated antiques, 4 poster beds, marble bathtubs and Spanish style balconies.
Each room is themed with many of them specifically aimed at couples who can come and enjoy wonderful spa treatments, home-cooked breakfast, complimentary drinks and moonlit strolls in the gardens. Considering the luxury, the price per room is surprisingly reasonable too.
- To book, check prices or availability for Inn at Parkside Sacramento
9. The Villa at Arden Hills – an award-winning boutique Bed & Breakfast
This beautiful Hotel and Wellness Centre occupies a stunning historic Villa, whose sandblasted walls and balconies windows echo the style of the early Spanish settlers. Rooms are luxuriously decorated in keeping with the building’s history and you can enjoy jacuzzi baths and four posters in every room.
Costs of rooms and suites at The Villa at Arden Hills vary depending on the season but they are surprisingly reasonable considering they include day passes to the wellness resort. On the resort you can take advantage of the Olympic size outdoor pool and steam rooms, athletics centre, indoor driving range and book in for a pamper session at the high-end spa. The perfect retreat for travellers who need to refresh and reset.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Villa at Arden Hills