Salamanca is an architectural wonderland that exudes sophistication and grandeur. Its remarkable historic centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, adorned with examples of Gothic, Romanesque, and Baroque styles. Famed for its ancient university, one of the oldest in Europe, the city’s vibrant cultural scene captivates visitors from near and far.
Salamanca’s hotels are sure to enchant and delight the discerning traveller, and range from palatial boutiques to grand historic mansions. Here are my favourite cool and unusual hotels in Salamanca, Spain (in no particular order)…
1. NH Collection Salamanca Palacio de Castellanos – a trendy, chic and unique hotel with Instagrammable features in a location perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
This four-star masterpiece blends a contemporary style with original features. Set in a traditional golden-stone building, the hotel’s heritage can be traced back five centuries, and it is set amid the 16th-century elegance of Salamanca’s historic centre.
The Renaissance façade, which bears the coats of arms of the Castellanos and Maldonado families, beckons guests into a world of splendour.
Inside, dazzling abstract artworks by Catalan painters beautifully contrast the traditional arches and columns, forming an awe-inspiring, eye-catching aesthetic. I absolutely loved my room, which was dressed in natural tones and modern fabrics, and boasted a Philips wall-mounted TV.
- To book, check prices or availability for NH Collection Salamanca Palacio de Castellanos
2. Grand Hotel Don Gregorio – an upscale, elegant and historic hotel where guests can enjoy a Michelin Star restaurant serving an array of delicious cuisine
This 15th-century palace has been delightfully restored to become one of Salamanca’s leading luxury accommodations, while still holding onto its historical essence.
Entering through the lobby for the first time, the grand columns and antique décor truly gave me an insight into the charm of this historic city, and my oak-floored room was decorated with all the comforts of an opulent 5-star establishment.
The chic, award-winning restaurant is a true feast for the senses and combines Salamanca’s cultural panache with an international flair. On-site you can also take advantage of a peaceful lounge bar, and a majestic spa experience replete with trailblazing facilities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand Hotel Don Gregorio
3. Hospes Palacio de San Esteban – a stylish, modern and industrial-chic design hotel perfect for a couple’s romantic getaway
Hospes Palacio is one of the most dramatic, awe-inspiring places I have ever stayed in on my many visits to Spain.
Occupying a five centuries-old convent, this five-star hotel is an integral part of Salamanca’s rich architectural heritage.
Now one of the city’s most luxurious hotels, its plateresque style and ornate decorations are still honoured throughout the property, bringing a true ‘traditional-meets-modern’ feel.
The stylish bar and library area, which gives onto the terrace and courtyard, is a great place to kick back on comfortable sofas and soak up the property’s historic charm.
Also opening onto the leafy courtyard are the rooms and suites, where sumptuous beds, abstract art, and dark wooden floors create a calm ambiance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hospes Palacio de San Esteban
4. Hotel Melibea by gaiarooms – a sleek, contemporary and bright hotel located in the heart of the city
This eclectic hotel offers a new paradigm through which to explore the glorious city of Salamanca, with modernity, vibrancy, and openness at the core.
The hotel’s budget-friendly rates do not compromise on style, art, and design. It is thus a wonderful alternative to many of the city’s traditional, luxury hotels.
The gracious art of Felix Curto is sprinkled around the property, and an ultra-friendly atmosphere radiates through the public spaces.
The guestrooms pay homage to a bygone era with the arched windows, however they are given a large dash of contemporary elegance through the crisp white linens, designer toiletries, and state-of-the-art, tech-forward amenities.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Melibea by gaiarooms
5. Hotel Rector – a charming, quiet and elegant boutique accommodation within walking distance of local popular attractions
Set in a stunning palatial building in the heart of the city, Hotel Rector brings an elegant aesthetic, a serene environment, and attentive service to the discerning traveller.
I thought the property felt more like a grand private residence than a hotel, owing to its opulent interior aesthetic. In the bar and lounge, the soothing décor is complimented by stained-glass windows and floral motifs, forming a beautiful space to kick back with a pot of tea.
The rooms are decorated in a contemporary-classic style in taupe tones and offer comfortable armchairs or sofas, sumptuous beds, and marble bathrooms.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Rector
6. Ikonik Plaza Mercado – an urban, stylish and hip accommodation that blends cool design with traditional charm
Standing out in the pulsating city for its elegant Villamayor stone façade and its original architectural elements, The Ikonik adds a dash of contemporary flair to its authentic style.
The hotel is situated next to the market and a few steps from the Plaza Mayor, offering the ideal starting point for discovering the wonders of Salamanca on foot.
I spent some peaceful moments sat by the traditional arched windows in my room gazing across the gleaming cityscape, and the in-room experience was made cosy and intimate by the plush linens, soft natural hues, and intricate artwork.
In the lobby lounge, many of the property’s original roots are preserved, but renovated in a modern way to add a splash of elegance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ikonik Plaza Mercado
7. Salamanca Suite Studios – a new, hip and contemporary accommodation moments away from several cool restaurants and trendy boutiques
This eclectic hotel is more than just a place to rest your head, it’s a place to dive right into the heart and soul of Salamanca at your own pace.
The eco-friendly urban studios bring a new, highly innovative accommodation concept to the city centre, and are equipped for both short and long stays.
Surrounded by majestic gardens, each unit combines luxury design work with graceful craftmanship, forming an authentic, intimate aesthetic.
In the commodious suites you can benefit from your own independence, however if you fancy a bit more of a communal atmosphere, then the downstairs eatery will provide just that – It’s especially buzzy at breakfast time!
- To book, check prices or availability for Salamanca Suite Studios
8. Sercotel Puerta de la Catedral – a bright, traditional and modern accommodation steps away from Salamanca’s Cathedrals
With its prime location overlooking Salamanca’s two majestic cathedrals, this four-star city-glam retreat accentuates a traditional architectural presence with clever, chic design details.
The golden aesthetic puts the property discreetly in tune with the surrounding sandstone monuments, while the quaint interior of open stone and brick walls resembles more of an upmarket gallery.
My room was incredibly elegant and intimate and afforded spectacular views across the bell towers of the cathedrals just across the square.
For breakfast, there’s a hearty buffet on-site, which also offers healthy juices, organic dishes, and home-baked pastries. The surrounding area has an abundance of dining options for lunch and dinner!
- To book, check prices or availability for Sercotel Puerta de la Catedral
9. Silken Rona Dalba – a charming, spacious and family-friendly accommodation where guests can experience the luxury of a central location
Located in the charming San Juan Bautista de Barbalos square, a short stroll from the city’s many landmarks, Silken Rona Dalba is an urban haven teeming with all the latest mod cons.
At a budget-friendly price point, you can revel in pure luxury here, with smooth lines, bright and comfortable décor, and soft natural hues forming a soul-soothing aesthetic.
The hotel boasts 94 intimate and sophisticated guestrooms, many of which offer jaw-dropping views of the beautiful church in the square. You can also take advantage of an in-room pillow menu, and a personalized massage service provided in the seclusion of your own sanctuary.
- To book, check prices or availability for Silken Rona Dalba
10. Hostal Barcelona – a creative, quirky and newly renovated accommodation featuring a café and bar
Hostal Barcelona brings you to the heart of Salamanca in style, with each room designed with its own quirky colour scheme, and offering a whole host of trendsetting amenities.
The property caters to both the budget-conscious backpacker and the urban explorer, owing to its supreme location, its attentive service, and its abundance of space to hang out.
Smooth wooden hues ornate the bathrooms, and the sleeping areas are graced by a colourful picture of the city’s world-famous architectural presence.
Having a private 32-inch TV, ultra-high-speed Wi-Fi, and a 24-hour reception service on hand all contributed to the homely feel here.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hostal Barcelona
11. Soho Boutique Salamanca – a classic, pet-friendly and quaint accommodation providing guests with a delicious hearty breakfast each morning
With its wonderful location next to the Plaza Mayor, Soho Boutique is the perfect basecamp from which to explore Salamanca’s, historic heart.
It offers an extraordinary place of respite, where modern facilities stand side by side with gracefully restored antique décor. I booked the Double Superior Room, which had the added touch of a hydromassage bathtub.
Each room however is festooned with homely comforts, which include large pillows, a minibar, a satellite TV, and ultra-high-velocity Wi-Fi. The bathrooms, marble-clad and draped in bright shades, are super elegant and complimented by designer toiletries.
Each morning, before embarking on an action-packed day in the city, the hotel’s hearty breakfast will provide the well-needed fuel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Soho Boutique Salamanca
12. MoneoHeritage – a unique, spacious and themed boutique accommodation well equipped for a family or group vacation
Located in an authentic residential building dating back to 1905, this eclectic boutique invites you to explore the city through a new lens, one where its historic panache and modern vibrancy coexist in perfect harmony.
I stayed in the Nordic Attic, which preserved its original sloping ceilings, and the inspiring Nordic decorations contributed to a cosy, relaxing atmosphere.
You can however also book the Industrial Loft, the Classic Gazebo, or the Minimalist Attic, all of which boast beautiful views of the city’s streets and are themed individually.
A 2-minute stroll will land you right in the heart of Plaza Mayor, and around the property you will find many places to eat, drink, and soak up the city’s unique spirit.
- To book, check prices or availability for MoneoHeritage
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Madrid
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Valencia
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Bilbao
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in San Sebastian
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Seville
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Granada
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Malaga
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Santiago De Compostela
Scott started his travelling life back in 1999, when he headed off on a solo jaunt to South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia with just a backpack, a camera and a spirit for adventure. After that, the travel bug bit hard and now he is always seeking to head off somewhere new. Over the years he has lived in Italy, Qatar, Ireland, UK and the US but his spiritual home will always be Rome as this is the city which most satisfies his unrelenting craving for culture, good food and great football. Scott loves nothing better than to be behind the camera and also runs his own blog and Instagram page. He also counts Melbourne, Cape Town and Tel Aviv among his favourite places. Follow him on Twitter and Instagram at @scottbalaam