As the capital of Utah, Salt Lake City is the gateway to five of America’s most popular national parks and is perfectly positioned for visitors who enjoy nature. Beautiful surroundings aside, the city is known for its very strong art community, religious connections, unique culture, great shopping and an increasingly hip vibe with chic condos and cozy bistros popping up all over the city.
From quirky-chic boutique inns to sleek and modern high rises, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in Salt Lake City (in no particular order)…
1. evo Hotel – a trendy, hipster-friendly and very Instagrammable hotel perfect for fun-loving Millenials and Gen Zs
The evo Hotel experience has been created for the outdoor enthusiast. Located in the Granary District, this trendy hotel offers easy access to biking, climbing, hiking and snow sports, and each room comes with single-day passes to the All Together Skate Park.
Hip, modern rooms and suites are fashioned in understated tones and display local artwork, giving guests a peaceful haven to recover in after the day’s activities. The evo Hotel brand is socially conscious and forges community links by supporting local projects and organizations.
- To book, check prices or availability for evo Hotel Salt Lake City
2. Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, an IHG Hotel – a vibrant, creative boutique-style hotel that offers upscale unique decor
Part of Salt Lake City history, this boutique hotel has retained some of its original features, with clever design bringing its old school grandeur into the 21st Century.
Guest rooms and suites are a similar mix of classic and updated luxury. The main restaurant sits in the historic bank lobby serving contemporary American fare, while the bar and lounge offers lighter options alongside crafted cocktails.
Stylish ballrooms and smart conference rooms provide space for business and pleasure.
Walking distance to city attractions, a short drive to ski resorts, and having the TRAX light rail system on the doorstep, Kimpton Hotel Monaco is ideally situated, whatever you have planned.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City, an IHG Hotel
3. Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown – a trendy contemporary hotel located in a hip area
This airy lobby is awash with natural light and just a few tasteful splashes of color. Rooms and suites are designed to maximize space, and an uncomplicated décor adds to the laid-back environment.
Hot breakfasts are served daily to set visitors up for the day, and a complimentary social evening is held through the week.
A business center and meeting rooms cater for enterprising guests, while for pleasure, the hotel is centrally located – with the Vivint Smart Home Arena, Salt Palace Convention Center and Temple Square all in walking distance.
- To book, check prices or availability for Homewood Suites by Hilton Salt Lake City Downtown
4. AC Hotel by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown – a laid-back contemporary hotel which is both family and pet friendly
Conveniently located near the Salt Palace Convention Center and Temple Square, the AC Hotel Salt Lake City is well situated for travelers looking to absorb local culture.
The hotel’s style is unintrusive with its clean lines and oatmeal neutrals. Guest rooms are just as uncomplicated, which leaves the space free for home-from-home touches. Large windows open onto views of the city, filling rooms with natural light.
In the hotel lounge, craft brews are on tap with tapas-style bites to eat, and a freshly baked continental breakfast is available at the AC Kitchen. A selection of event spaces cater for business and pleasure.
- To book, check prices or availability for AC Hotel by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown
5. Grand America Hotel – a luxury hotel where guests can enjoy a chic and stylish environment
This exceptionally rated hotel is an imposing building against the even more impressive backdrop of the Wasatch and Oquirrh Mountains.
Spacious rooms boast soaring ceilings, full-length windows and are decked in Italian marble, English wool and cherry wood furnishings. Priceless antiques and art from around the world feature throughout the hotel.
Cream teas and patisserie are served with a courtyard fountain view, while European cuisine is offered in the brassiere alongside cocktails and craft brews.
Other high-spec amenities include a range of event spaces, including two ballrooms, fitness center, two pools, toy store, a men’s haberdashery, a boutique, spa and access to thousands of skiable acres.
- To book, check prices or availability for Grand America Hotel
6. Ellerbeck Bed & Breakfast – a quirky-chic historic Victorian B&B that features a terrace
Covered in ivy, this turn-of-the-century Victorian mansion welcomes B&B guests looking for a more intimate stay. Five elegant suites feature antique furnishings against bright white walls and linen, while the sixth suite is a sunny shade of canary yellow.
A three-course ‘pioneer’s’ breakfast is served warm on silver platters. Hot drinks, pastries, and fruits are available in the dining room, and the café is open most days.
Alternatively, you can relax by the fire in the library or under the sun on the terrace and garden. Indoor and outdoor events are held in the mansion and the smaller Carriage House.
- To book, check prices or availability for Ellerbeck Bed & Breakfast
7. DeSoto Tudor on Capitol Hill – a charming mini boutique Bed & Breakfast where guests can relax in a hot tub
In a quiet residential downtown neighborhood in Salt Lake City, a tree-lined street boasts a mixture of old and new architecture styles – including the DeSoto Tudor Bed and Breakfast.
This owner-occupied B&B offers a warm welcome and home comforts in a stylish environment of pale blues and deep browns, with quirky, characterful touches.
The one suite with its own bathroom is a calming, thoughtfully designed space, and there’s also a gym, jacuzzi and patio to enjoy. Breakfasts are home-cooked, do-it-yourself or available to go, and a well-stocked guest pantry is always open.
- To book, check prices or availability for DeSoto Tudor on Capitol Hill
8. The Peery Salt Lake City Downtown, Tapestry Collection by Hilton – a chic boutique-style hotel that features spacious rooms and well-equipped facilities
Walking distance to the city center, the Peery Hotel is a historic abode boasting original Prairie-revival style architecture. The interior captures 1920’s elegance with vintage-inspired and antique furnishings combined with a pared-back modern style.
Guest rooms are simply designed and comfortable. Weddings and events are held across four conference rooms and two ballrooms.
Local wines are served in tasting rooms or alongside farm-inspired American cuisine from a menu of sustainable ingredients at the hotel’s grill restaurant.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Peery Salt Lake City Downtown, Tapestry Collection by Hilton
9. Kasa Salt Lake City Downtown – a stylish aparthotel that is within walking distance to cool attractions
These modern, bright and airy apartments are neatly designed to provide everything you need for a self-catering stay. The décor is simple and stylish with some featuring breakfast islands and balcony seating. Outdoors there is a shared area designed for kicking-back with sofa-esque seats, fire coals and a gas grill.
Other amenities include a fitness center, community room and café. Contactless access available round the clock means that you can easily take advantage of being in the heart of downtown Salt Lake.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kasa Salt Lake City Downtown
10. Four Points Marriott Salt Lake City Airport – a quiet hotel that offers a fitness center and an outdoor pool
A complimentary shuttle runs from the airport to the Four Points Marriott, so in minutes you’re under a skylight illuminating the warm wood lobby, where natural materials meld with modern design to set this hotel’s tone of relaxed luxury.
Guest rooms incorporate polished wood floors, subtle lighting and plush comfort.
A business center complements the meeting rooms, and the fitness center is paired with an outdoor pool. The hotel restaurant serves up traditional American favorites, and the modern bar area is a great spot for meeting or catching up.
- To book, check prices or availability for Four Points Marriott Salt Lake City Airport
11. TownePlace Suites by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown – an amazing hotel that provides fashionable urban decor, located in the heart of Salt Lake City
The beauty of these suites is their customizability – meaning that travelers can make the space their own, whether for business or pleasure. The suites feature full kitchens, sleeping areas, shelving and storage areas and well-lit workstations with adjustable shelving.
The high-ceilinged lobby with cool starburst lights and huge windows can be transformed into an event space. There’s also a pleasant, shared area to enjoy the continental buffet breakfast or for working in the company of others, as well as a fitness center and meeting room.
As the suites are within walking distance of the Salt Palace Convention Center, you’re in the heart of the city, with all its amenities on your doorstep.
- To book, check prices or availability for TownePlace Suites by Marriott Salt Lake City Downtown
12. Engen Hus Bed and Breakfast – a relaxed but creative B&B that features individually decorated rooms
A charmingly rustic yet elegant décor fills this pretty wood-paneled house sitting near the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon.
The lodge’s Nordic interior is born of its heritage – originally built by three Norwegian brothers who arrived to complete in ski-jumping competitions and ended up helping establish the Utah ski industry.
Each of the five different guest rooms have their own private bathroom and are styled with a Scandinavian feel.
Sit cozily by the fireplace indoors, and outside there is ample patio seating around a fire pit and gas grill with a hot tub nearby. A gourmet, home-cooked breakfast with freshly baked goods is on offer daily.
- To book, check prices or availability for Engen Hus Bed and Breakfast
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Las Vegas
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Denver
- Cool boutique hotels in Tucson
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Albuquerque
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Phoenix
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Santa Fe
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Portland
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Colorado Springs
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Palm Springs
- Cool Boutique Hotels in Lake Tahoe
- Cool Boutique hotels in Moab
- Cool Boutique hotels in Carmel
- Cool Boutique hotels in Reno
- Cool Boutique hotels in Flagstaff
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bend
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Aspen
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Jackson WY
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Park City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Boise
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Bozeman
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Boulder
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Deadwood
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Yellowstone
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Rapid City
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.