The heart of Silicon Valley, California’s major – and world-famous – technology hub, San Jose offers a lot more than just being San Francisco’s smaller neighbor. California’s oldest Spanish civilian settlement, it’s surrounded by rolling hills and within a drive of seriously beautiful wine country.
In the city itself, highlights include lively nightlife, epic wineries, a historic downtown, excellent restaurants, an eclectic food scene, awesome shopping, and of course tech startups galore. It also has some pretty special places to stay, from intimate boutiques to sleek and modern high rises, here are the best cool and unusual hotels in San Jose, California…
1. Hotel Valencia Santana Row – one of the chicest and most Instagrammable hotels in San Jose
The only hotel on the famous Santana Row, Hotel Valencia is a luxurious hotel with 217 rooms, a balcony lounge bar and much more. Set behind the traditional façade is a wonderful environment with an eclectic mix of furnishings in the communal spaces.
Modern seating pairs wonderfully with traditional leather chairs and bespoke crafted wood cabinetry to create a lobby of infinite character, a great place to just sit and enjoy the surroundings.
Rooms are equally luxurious, with each bed custom-designed for the hotel, topped with 300 thread count Egyptian linens for the ultimate in luxury sleep. Dining is taken care of by three in-house bars and restaurants, Oveja Negra, Terrace, Vbar and Cielo.
From the casual dining of Oveja Negra, with its modern twist on traditional tapas and scintillating breakfasts, to the fantastic Vbar where you can take in a cocktail and snacks out on the balcony through to Cielo, where you can enjoy your favorite drink under the stars as a fire pit keeps you warm, you always have a choice here at Hotel Valencia.
Of course, with a wealth of renowned restaurants on the doorstep, you have unlimited dining options every evening. A true landmark and a fabulous, eclectic mix of styles with impeccable luxury and service, Hotel Valencia Santana Row is a hotel that you will never forget.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Valencia Santana Row
2. Signia by Hilton San Jose – a modern and trendy upscale hotel in San Jose that offers signature restaurants and a rooftop pool
Sitting in downtown San Jose, Signia by Hilton is in the perfect place to make the most of this fantastic city. If you imagined the perfect modern hotel, this is probably what it would look like.
Beautiful woodworking covers the walls, giving the shared spaces a warmth that few match. Décor is right up to date, with subdued colors, clean lines and quality materials everywhere. Rooms have large windows for great views, and service is excellent at all times.
But the reason Signia stands out is the dining and entertainment facilities. Six different restaurants are available in the hotel, covering everything from fresh pool snacks to unique Japanese cuisine and a traditional American Grill.
A rooftop pool brings waterside fun to an unprecedented view around the city, while the hotel is also a specialized events location, with bespoke solutions for weddings, business events and more.
- To book, check prices or availability for Signia by Hilton San Jose
3. Hotel De Anza, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel – a creative and unique boutique-style hotel located in the heart of San Jose that features a historic setting
A San Jose Icon, Hotel De Anza has been looking after travelers since 1931, and the art deco façade is one of the most recognizable in the region. Behind that stunning frontage is the doorway to another world.
The terrace and lobby areas take you right back to those 1930’s roots, with grand architecture and beautiful stone flooring. Arched ceilings create a sense of space and majesty that modern buildings just cannot match, and dining on the terrace is a particular highlight you should definitely try.
Rooms blend the art deco surroundings with more modern touches, creating welcoming, comfortable places to relax, and when its time to eat you won’t be disappointed either.
The Hedley Club take you back to the jazz era that marked the hotel’s heyday, with fabulous food in stunning art deco surroundings and live jazz music on weekends. If you like the idea of nostalgia with your trip, then the Hotel De Anza has everything you could want.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel De Anza, a Destination by Hyatt Hotel
4. Hayes Mansion San Jose, Curio Collection by Hilton – a beautiful upscale design hotel within close proximity to golf courses and local vineyards
The Hayes Mansion was built in 1905, a wonderful private residence with all the grandeur of the times, and today you can stay there too. It still looks just as fabulous with the impeccable gardens and whitewashed walls, and wherever you go within the hotel, you see the details that made it so special. Stained glass, beautiful woodwork, imposing fireplaces, the wonderful architecture still dominates how the hotel looks.
Complimenting the incredible building itself, the rooms feature luxurious materials and bespoke furniture that blends today’s luxury expectations with the styles of the past.
The result is a warm and inviting place to stay, and with dining to match it will be a trip to remember. Whether you prefer casual dining on the patio or more formal dining in the Palm & Ember, with a selection of dining options using locally sourced ingredients, the food here is always excellent.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hayes Mansion San Jose, Curio Collection by Hilton
5. Aloft Santa Clara – San Jose North – a cool, funky and colorful hotel, perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Inspired by the urban loft style, Aloft Santa Clara is a thoroughly modern hotel that is a part of the America Center Complex. Rooms are bright and stylish, with tech-driven luxury including Apple streaming, ergonomic workstations and Bliss Spa amenities in each bathroom.
A gourmet pantry provides convenient grab-and-go food, but of course, the area is full of world-class dining options to suit every taste if you prefer something more formal.
With over 2,700 square feet of meetings paces, Aloft Santa Clara is perfect for business trips, but the fun W XYZ® Bar makes it a great option for a fun stay too. If you like your technology in a modern setting, Aloft does it like no one else.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft Santa Clara – San Jose North
6. Kasa San Jose Downtown – a fully equipped aparthotel based in a great location in San Jose
San Jose Downtown is one of three exclusive apartment choices operated by Kasa in the San Jose area. Modern apartments with everything you need, including well-appointed kitchens, washers and dryers, as well as access to a fitness center and billiards room, this is the perfect place for those who want to be self-sufficient throughout the trip.
Ideally located for the main sights and attractions of San Jose, this pet-friendly accommodation gives you everything you need for your stay.
With grocery stores nearby you can make your own meals in the kitchen, but you are never far from quality dining with a wide range of choices for every taste in San Jose. Be independent but retain the comfort you deserve with these amazing apartments.
- To book, check prices or availability for Kasa San Jose Downtown
7. The Row by Kasa – a cool and modern relaxed hotel that is very close to San Jose’s airport
A laid-back, relaxed hotel that brings wonderful amenities, luxurious comfort and a welcoming vibe to every stay.
Just a few minutes from San Jose Airport, you can enjoy lovely, light rooms with quality furnishings, tech that includes free wifi and ergonomic work areas, fridge, microwave, coffee machine and more, to give you a sense of independence even in the hotel environment.
A fitness center, access to washer dryers and a business center give all the tools you need. As a virtual service hotel, you have 24/7 guest support via text, ensuring that this is the unique hotel experience that you will love.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Row by Kasa
8. Aloft San Jose Cupertino – a hip and fun hotel with trendy decor and an outdoor heated pool
Bring loft-style living to your hotel stay, Aloft San Jose Cupertino is situated near Santana Row, perfect for the convention center and the dining and entertainment of the downtown area.
Rooms offer tech-driven luxury, with Apple streaming, ergonomic workstations and Bliss Spa amenities in each bathroom.
An outdoor pool and gym are great to get your workout in, and dining is taken care of by two in house options, Re:fuel by Aloft? providing fantastic breakfasts that get your day off to the best start, and W XYZ® Bar that serves a range of quality cuisine in an informal atmosphere, with a colorful and vibrant décor creating a unique ambience.
Aloft San Jose really brings the Silicon Valley attitude to life, a great option for luxury, service and fun in San Jose.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aloft San Jose Cupertino
9. Hilton San Jose – a popular stay in San Jose that welcomes pets and provides great amenities
At the heart of downtown San Jose directly connected to the San Jose McEnery Convention Center and within easy reach of the light rail network and other amenities, whether you are here for business or pleasure Hilton San Jose is in the perfect location.
With its large glass areas both in communal areas and rooms, it is bright and welcoming, with an eclectic style that uses quality soft furnishings and splashes of accent color to create interesting visuals and supreme comfort.
With a vast choice of nearby dining options, you will probably still want to try the Affinity Restaurant and Bar in the hotel, with its high-tech atmosphere, contemporary décor and high-quality cuisine all served with a casual feel, it’s a great place to enjoy your evening. With probably the best location in the city and exceptional service, Hilton San Jose is well worth a visit.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hilton San Jose
10. Hotel Clariana – an iconic historic hotel originally built in the 1900s and listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Instantly recognizable, Hotel Clariana sits on east Santa Clara Street, its vibrant turquoise walls and gold detailing familiar to anyone living in the area. Just a short walk from the center of the Downtown district, it’s well placed for enjoying the many attractions, dining and entertainment this area has to offer.
Inside, a fitness center, concierge service and more ensure that you will love your stay.
Just 44 rooms are to be found in the hotel, each presented beautifully, with quality furnishings and simple layouts to create comfortable, relaxing spaces. Staying here really is staying in a slice of history, it’s a fabulous, traditional hotel with modern touches to make it a joy to spend time in.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Clariana
11. Beautiful San Jose House with Private Backyard! – a rustic holiday home that features a cosy garden, ideal for a romantic stay
When you want to enjoy a trip without the hassle of hotels, set breakfast times and all the rest, and just let the trip unroll how it may, this may be the accommodation you are looking for.
A lovely house in a quiet street on San Jose, its different from any hotel because it’s a house. It features eclectic design, including its own bar area, lovely communal spaces for watching TV and a stunning kitchen with marble tops and quality equipment.
Outside is where this property really shines though, with outdoor dining on a deck, a sheltered patio area and barbecue, so you can enjoy the outdoor life whatever the weather.
San Jose has a huge range of dining to suit every taste and budget, and of course you have everything to cook for yourself if you wish. If you want to try something different in San Jose, this is the place to choose.
- To book, check prices or availability for Beautiful San Jose House with Private Backyard!
12. Contemporary 1/1 near the heart of DT San Jose – a modern and cozy apartment close to amazing attractions
Less than a mile from the San Jose Civic Auditorium, this apartment offers comfortable, modern living for your stay in San Jose.
Featuring a fully fitted kitchen, its ideal for those looking to do their own thing and not be stuck to a timetable and makes a great base for exploring San Jose at your own pace.
With large windows that flood the living areas with light, this is a fantastic space to sit and relax too, with modern, uncluttered décor giving you the touches of home that a hotel just cannot match. When you want to work to your own itinerary, skip the hotel and go it alone, with this amazing apartment.
- To book, check prices or availability for Contemporary 1/1 near the heart of DT San Jose
We also have posts on…
- Cool and Unique Hotels in San Francisco
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Santa Cruz
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Seattle
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Lake Tahoe
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Carmel
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Napa Valley
- Cool boutique hotels in Berkeley
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Sacramento
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Pismo Beach
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Santa Barbara
- Cool and Unique Hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool and Unique Hotels in San Diego
- Cool Boutique hotels in Avila Beach
- Cool Boutique hotels in Tacoma
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Monterey
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Oregon Beach
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Morro Bay
- Cool and Unusual Hotels in Mendocino
- Cool boutique hotels in Sonoma
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Nevada City
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Mammoth Lakes
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Healdsburg
- Cool and Unusual hotels in Palo Alto
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.