Lying southwest of Los Angeles, Santa Catalina Island is one of the most happening holiday destinations in California. Due to its rich colonial past, the island has become a melting pot of various cultures. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing vacation, outdoor adventures, or a family vibe, Santa Catalina won’t disappoint you.
Appreciate eclectic fauna at the Wrigley Memorial & Botanic Gardens, soak up the sun while enjoying booze on an Avalon beach, and celebrate Catalina’s glorious history at any of its well-curated museums. Get your adrenaline rushing while taking a zip line over a canyon. Revel in the stunning views of Mt. Ada at William Wrigley Jr.’s old mansion.
Luckily, the island also happens to have amazing lodging options. From historic B&Bs to beachfront resorts, here are the top cool and unusual hotels in South Catalina Island, California (in no particular order)…
1. Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel – one of the most popular boutique hotels on Catalina Island providing guests with a trendy, creative and contemporary stay
Steeped in history, tradition, and luxury, Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel offers the best of Catalina hospitality with modern amenities and personalized service. The landmark hotel was built in 11926 by the famous novelist, Zane Grey, as his holiday home.
Down-home rooms feature exposed wood beams and modern furnishings with traditional accents. All rooms are equipped with mini-fridges, flat-screen TVs, and coffee makers, while suites also offer sofa beds, fireplaces, and balconies with bay views. Floor-to-ceiling windows and colorful mosaics are also featured in some rooms.
If you want to enjoy more sweeping views of the bay, head over to the rooftop terrace with a heated pool and multiple loungers.
- To book, check prices or availability for Zane Grey Pueblo Hotel
2. Hotel Metropole – a unique, newly renovated and upscale hotel perfect for Millennials and Gen Zs
Experience unparalleled tranquillity at this beachfront hotel near the landmark Avalon Casino. With its stucco exterior and sleek design, Hotel Metropole is unarguably one of the most beautiful hotels in Catalina.
Basic amenities like flat-screen TVs and DVD players are featured in all rooms, while suites also offer whirlpool tubs and fireplaces.
There’s a French Quarter-themed shopping area where you can indulge in fine dining and shopping. The onsite spa, on the other hand, will take care of your wellness needs.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Metropole
3. Bellanca Hotel – a newly renovated, stylish and chic accommodation steps away from the beach
If you’re visiting Santa Catalina Island for its breathtaking scenery, Bellanca Hotel is a great place to stay. The Mediterranean-style hotel overlooks Avalon Bay and is located about two miles from Wrigley Botanical Gardens.
Each of the warmly decorated rooms at Bellanca Hotel is equipped with a cable TV, a mini-fridge, a coffee maker, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
Plantation shutters opening onto the courtyard are featured in most rooms. Guests lodging in suites enjoy advanced amenities, such as marble bathrooms with soaking tubs, gas fireplaces, wet bars, and balconies with mountain ocean views.
The hotel also boasts an Italian eatery and a bay-view sundeck.
- To book, check prices or availability for Bellanca Hotel
4. Hotel Atwater – a stylish and hip accommodation with quirky décor elements surrounded by a variety of exquisite dining options
Built in the 1920s, Hotel Atwater combines sleek design with urban amenities to offer an exceptional lodging experience.
A subtle austerity engulfs each of the 95 rooms at this harborside hotel. All rooms are equipped with smart TVs, mini-fridges, plush linens, and digital concierge tablets.
Other amenities include outdoor rinse-off showers and a guest storage room with complimentary access for all guests.
Onsite dining is not available. However, there are dozens of amazing restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Atwater
5. Catalina Island Inn – a charming, contemporary and lavish accommodation providing Instagrammable picturesque views overlooking the harbor
Yet another hotel overlooking Avalon Bay, Catalina Island Inn offers lavish accommodation with many complimentary perks. The stylish hotel is within walking distance of both the Avalon Pier and the Catalina Island Museum.
Island-inspired rooms at the hotel come equipped with flat-screen TVs, iPod docks, DVD players, and mini-fridges. Selected rooms offer balconies with bay views, while ground-level quarters come with fireplaces, 4-poster beds, and private patios.
- To book, check prices or availability for Catalina Island Inn
6. Hermosa Hotel – a pet-friendly, bright and historic accommodation ideal for those who like to scuba dive
Overlooking the Pacific Coast Highway, Hermosa Hotel is where tranquility and comfort come together to cater to every whim of its guests.
With a Colonial Revival-style exterior, lavishly appointed rooms, and upscale onsite amenities, this 3-star hotel is one of the best hotels on Hermosa Beach.
Guests can enjoy a broad range of in-room amenities, including flat-screen TVs, coffee makers, plush bedding, complimentary toiletries, free Wi-Fi, mini-fridges, circular staircases, and private balconies with ocean views.
There’s also a sundeck with a fire pit, an outdoor pool and a hot tub, an exercise room, a yoga studio, and a Japanese garden.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hermosa Hotel
7. Pavilion Hotel – one of the best accommodations in Avalon offering an upscale stay with an array of amenities and services
Resort-style amenities, personalized service, and a warm atmosphere await you at this straightforward hotel located right across the street from South Beach.
Pavilion Hotel offers accommodation in bright rooms equipped with flat-screen HD TVs, coffee makers, iPod docks, and shared patios.
Complimentary perks include cheese and wine tasting, continental breakfast, luggage transfers from the Avalon boat dock, and access to a nearby fitness club.
- To book, check prices or availability for Pavilion Hotel
8. Aurora Hotel – a modern, cool and sleek accommodation offering guests a complimentary continental breakfast each morning
Perched atop a hill five blocks from the ferry terminal, Aurora Hotel is a perfect pick for those who want to stay close to downtown shopping and dining.
Funky artwork and sleek furnishings adorn breezy rooms at this 3-star hotel. From microwaves to flat-screen TVs to private balconies with ocean views, rooms offer a wide range of upscale amenities. To enjoy advanced amenities like whirlpool tubs, you’ll have to upgrade to a suite.
Complimentary amenities include continental breakfast and weekly wine-and-cheese socials. There’s also a rooftop deck with ocean views and a wellness spa.
- To book, check prices or availability for Aurora Hotel
9. The Avalon Hotel in Catalina Island – a petite, classic boutique lodging located in the heart of the island
With a Craftsman-style decor reminiscent of Catalina Island’s 1920s heyday, The Avalon Hotel beautifully sits on a sidestreet hill overlooking Avalon Harbor.
The 3-story hotel features polished, non-smoking rooms outfitted with flat-screen TVs, microwaves, mini-fridges, and balconies offering ocean views.
Shared amenities include a rooftop deck with sweeping harbor views and a patio garden with a firepit, koi pond, and a fountain. Guests also enjoy several freebies, including continental breakfast, afternoon snacks, and taxi service to and from the ferry pier.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Avalon Hotel in Catalina Island
10. Hotel Catalina – a historic, elegant and charming accommodation featuring a courtyard patio and hot tub
Dating from 1916, Hotel Catalina is a gem nestled a few blocks from Avalon Bay. The Victorian-style hotel combines the charm of Catalina’s yesteryear with the modern amenities of today.
Each of the 27 luxuriously appointed rooms offers a 32-inch flat-screen with cable or a DVD player, a mini-fridge, plush bedding, and complimentary Wi-Fi. You can revel in stunning harbor views from inside your bedroom.
In addition to in-room amenities, guests also enjoy some complimentary perks including continental breakfast served in the hotel’s grand lobby. The landmark hotel also boasts an expansive barbecue area with tables and chairs, a courtyard patio with a fountain and hot tub, a launderette, and a business center, all of which are accessible to the guests.
- To book, check prices or availability for Hotel Catalina
11. Catalina Island Seacrest Inn – a cozy, themed and rustic accommodation within walking distance of local attractions
A quaint, Victorian guesthouse set in a historic home that once belonged to Catalina Island’s owner. The unostentatious interior of Catalina Island Seacrest Inn will make you feel just at home.
Tradition coalesces with minimalism to provide a home-like relaxation to guests. All rooms are fitted with en suite bathrooms, mini-fridges, flat-screen TVs, and iPod docks. Whirlpool tubs and soaking baths are also offered in many rooms.
While staying here, you’ll be within walking distance of Catalina Casino and Avalon Theater. However, if you don’t feel like leaving the hotel, you can always grill some barbecue on the rooftop deck.
- To book, check prices or availability for Catalina Island Seacrest Inn
12. The Edgewater – a bright and classic accommodation with an oceanfront location
Blending boutique charm with island sophistication, The Edgewater is an excellent choice for those who want to stay right in the middle of downtown. Built in the 1940s, the 4-star hotel is within walking distance of the State Capitol and other major attractions.
Guests lodge in refined rooms fitted with flat-screen TVs, executive desks, and mini-fridges. Upgraded units offer kitchenettes, terraces, and floor-to-ceiling windows with impressive ocean views.
Onsite dining options include a tavern, a steakhouse, and a lakeside grill. There’s also a spa, an event space, and an outdoor plaza.
- To book, check prices or availability for The Edgewater
We also have posts on…
- Cool boutique hotels in Los Angeles
- Cool boutique hotels in Long Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Santa Monica
- Cool boutique hotels in Huntington Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Newport Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Laguna Beach
- Cool boutique hotels in Oceanside
My first true adventure began as a six month voyage around South East Asia as a fresh faced backpacker and ever since I’ve lived a semi nomadic existence, clocking up visits to over 40 countries. I’m a lover of US Road Trips, deserted beaches bathed in warm glow of a sunset, Cuban mojitos, travel destinations far away from the tourist crowds and all things Scandinavian – from cloudberry liquors to Nordic noirs. When not wandering the world and running Global Grasshopper, you’ll find me walking my rescued Greek street dog in leafy South West London, strolling around the Brighton Lanes on random day trips, hunting for photogenic landscapes or daydreaming about my favourite places; Havana, Copenhagen, Italy, Laos, California and the surreally beautiful landscapes of a wintry Iceland.